Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Hmm, our Warren Foegele has learned lots of dirty play in the NHL.
    Chara had him on the boards a few times! After a dismal 2nd the B's showed up in the third and put them away. Bruins in 5.
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Pesce? Top pairing defender? Really?
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Good question. Some sleuthing revealed that Pesce played his offside with Justin Faulk on right side of second D pair at even strength, and his regular right side with Jaccob Stavin on left side when short handed and late in games when protecting a lead.

Dougie Hamilton on right side wiith Stavin as first D pair at even strength. Funny, as I recall that the B's were not happy with Hamilton when protecting a lead.

TvR played with Calvin de Haan on third pair most of season.

Hamilton, 82 games, 18+21=39, +0
        Stavin, 82, 8+23=31, +0
        Faulk, 82, 11+24=35, +9
        de Haan, 74, 1+13=14, +1
        Darius, here is something that I posted on page 15 in answer to a question about Pesce from Chuck. Maybe the B's figured out something about the Canes blue line in the third that other teams have missed in the playoffs?

Comment

Yeah, whatever. All I know is that the only times I noticed him, he was turning the puck over. Don't get me started on Hamilton. Puss.
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            I thought it made a lot of sense a few years back when they added a team in Bloomington - but apparently there is a Bloomington in Illinois...
            Indiana also...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              Darius, here is something that I posted on page 15 in answer to a question about Pesce from Chuck. Maybe the B's figured out something about the Canes blue line in the third that other teams have missed in the playoffs?
              Before the mass exodus from the Pesce/WhalerCanes bandwagon starts in earnest, let me remind everyone that Carolina was in control of this game until a couple of very questionable (by NHL 3rd period playoff standards) penalties gave the B's two quick PP goals at the start of the 3rd period, and turned the game around abruptly.

The fourth goal was an ENG, and the fifth was irrelevant, clearly a result of a team down 3 goals and disheartened over having surrendered a 3rd period lead when up until then, they'd pretty much played the perfect road playoff game.

Don't get me wrong, I still think this is the B's Cup to lose. I said that after the first round, so that's never going to change. But declaring an easy series victory after a deceiving Game One win isn't always the smart move. Ask the Celtics ... if you can find any of them at your local golf links anyway ...
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                Before the mass exodus from the Pesce/WhalerCanes bandwagon starts in earnest, let me remind everyone that Carolina was in control of this game until a couple of very questionable (by NHL 3rd period playoff standards) penalties gave the B's two quick PP goals at the start of the 3rd period, and turned the game around abruptly.

The fourth goal was an ENG, and the fifth was irrelevant, clearly a result of a team down 3 goals and disheartened over having surrendered a 3rd period lead when up until then, they'd pretty much played the perfect road playoff game.

Don't get me wrong, I still think this is the B's Cup to lose. I said that after the first round, so that's never going to change. But declaring an easy series victory after a deceiving Game One win isn't always the smart move. Ask the Celtics ... if you can find any of them at your local golf links anyway ...
                ....I wouldn’t say it was a dominant ‘Canes performance. I think the B’s missed McAvoy more than was expected. As for their blue line I’ve watched a lot of ‘Canes games and I think they didn’t have a good night; esp Pesce and of course Dougie didn’t help the cause by costing them what 3/4 penalties?

So if it makes you feel better I’ll adjust my prediction: Bruins in 4. Ha!
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 05-11-2019, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  ....I wouldn’t say it was a dominant ‘Canes performance. I think the B’s missed McAvoy more than was expected. As for their blue line I’ve watched a lot of ‘Canes games and I think they didn’t have a good night; esp Pesce and of course Dougie didn’t help the cause by costing them what 3/4 penalties?

So if it makes you feel better I’ll adjust my prediction: Bruins in 4. Ha!
                  I'll stand by what I said, as I do think the B's took advantage of some very fortunate calls that don't usually go that way in the NHL postseason. The 'Canes and Hamilton can honestly feel a little hard done by with those 3rd period calls. But the "Dougie" thing could scuttle the 'Canes if he doesn't get it out of his head, pronto. If I'm Brind'Amour, I'm watching that VERY closely, and if DH plays like his head is up his posterior tomorrow night, I might have to not dress the poor lil' snowflake for Game 5.

Then again … HR says the B's will have this one done and dusted by then, so it's moot.

I think the B's are (slightly) the more talented team, and their vets have more experience for sure (although Justin Williams has as many Cups by his lonesome as Chara, Bergeron and Krejci all have combined). I say, B's in six games, the Sharks eke out the Blues in 6/7 games, and then we have Thornton v. Chara to see which of those two guys gets to skate off into retirement with their name on the Cup. With Pavelski back - assuming he can stay healthy - I really think SJ has the only chance to knock off the B's in the end. Would love to see St. Louis win, they're really the last of the Original Six expansion franchises not to have taken the Cup (figuring Dallas is the remnants of both the Minnesota North Stars and California Golden Seals), and I like the way they play. Remind me a lot of the B's, without the experience however. B's vs. Blues would be a war on ice, though.
                  Last edited by Chuck Murray; 05-11-2019, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Oh my ‘Canes downgraded to a “tropical storm”...for now!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Oh my ‘Canes downgraded to a “tropical storm”...for now!
                      B's blue line outplaying Canes blue line (including Pesce to keep this post UNH-relevant) in first two periods.

Funny to see the Little Ball of Hate get the better of Mr Game 7 by the refs in the late second period altercation.

Comment

Men against boys in that game but as Marchand said in the post game, the score is irrelevent, and the Canes will come to play in game 3.

Not surprised Brind'Amour stayed with Mrazek but thought he should have put in McElhinney!
                        Last edited by e.cat; 05-12-2019, 05:27 PM.
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                          Men against boys in that game but as Marchand said in the post game, the score is irrelevent, and the Canes will come to play in game 3.

Not surprised Brind'Amour stayed with Mrazek but thought he should have put in McElhinney!
                          Agreed, like Umile should have replaced Ayers with Carney in St Paul, although also would not have made any difference (again, to keep post UNH-relevant, and to instigate past brouhahas).
                          Last edited by Snively65; 05-12-2019, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post

Totally agree. If Carolina doesn't get some traction early in Game 3 which they can sustain, HR's updated prediction may prove to be right on the money. It's been pretty lopsided since the 3rd period of Game 1. If that persists for another period or two, this is over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              Totally agree. If Carolina doesn't get some traction early in Game 3 which they can sustain, HR's updated prediction may prove to be right on the money. It's been pretty lopsided since the 3rd period of Game 1. If that persists for another period or two, this is over.
                              Canes really missing TvR, a key cog on the third D pair. :-)

Edit: DeHann scores, 3rd D pair.
                              Last edited by Snively65; 05-14-2019, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Canes really missing TvR, a key cog on the third D pair. :-)

Edit: DeHann scores, 3rd D pair.
                                I agree...big minutes for Brett Pesce but a hot Tuukka Rask is up to the task!! One more Bruins!!

Comment

Working...
                                X