Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
    Sure thing. I’ll get right on that.

Anything else I can do to brighten your day? Flowers? Chocolates? A pair of cement shoes?

Your’s BlackI
    Hahaha you can skip the shoes...have enough thanks!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Dan! Curious as to your take on the UMass v Denver FF semi?
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

If the Friars choke their 3-0 lead over the Big Red, will that put them in the same league as our Cats? Hey, we always play well against them; that could have been us knocking on the FF door this season!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          If the Friars choke their 3-0 lead over the Big Red, will that put them in the same league as our Cats? Hey, we always play well against them; that could have been us knocking on the FF door this season!
          ha! Hardly doubt they could do that, but, who would've thought...those pesky 3 goal leads!!! Obviously the Friars don't care about those (see: yesterday) It's now become the 'dreaded 3 goal lead' We need to find a way to score goals my friend, then, we can talk about FF's....??? So unless something major happens in this game we'll have 2 HE teams in. Cornell fans have to be bummed...
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
            Chuck, you are correct. Nobody referred to UNH in this manor. Thanks for enlightening me on UNH’s history of near misses. From now on I will be sure to make others aware of that history. Your’s BlackI
            You were good with the first bit there, BlackI. There's no need to elaborate further.

How many more seasons you figure UMaine will stick with Red Gendron's Circus of Mediocrity?
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              ha! Hardly doubt they could do that, but, who would've thought...those pesky 3 goal leads!!! Obviously the Friars don't care about those (see: yesterday) It's now become the 'dreaded 3 goal lead' We need to find a way to score goals my friend, then, we can talk about FF's....??? So unless something major happens in this game we'll have 2 HE teams in. Cornell fans have to be bummed...
              Yup; not bad for HEA, which had such a dismal OOC record this regular season. Go Quinnipiac!

Comment

Yup; not bad for HEA, which had such a dismal OOC record this regular season. Go Quinnipiac!
                If Q wins you have three of the four schools within basically an hour's drive of one another.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  If Q wins you have three of the four schools within basically an hour's drive of one another.
                  Maybe if you avoid rush hour traffic and ignore speed limits? :-)

Comment

Maybe if you avoid rush hour traffic and ignore speed limits? :-)
                    OK. Fine 1 1/2 from Storrs to Providence. (the point was to contrast with the vast distances between the schools in the West)

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      OK. Fine 1 1/2 from Storrs to Providence. (the point was to contrast with the vast distances between the schools in the West)
                      Or, in contrast, not like having the four bean pot schools in the FF. Or, two bean pot schools in the FF (must be lots of those cases?).

But, Storrs?
                      Last edited by Snively65; 04-01-2019, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Dan! Curious as to your take on the UMass v Denver FF semi?
                        I think Denver will have a hard time with UMass. They have really struggled to score goals down the stretch - the only way they can beat UMass is if they can keep the score down. Since February 25 (if you remove the third-place game against CC), the Pioneers have averaged just 1.88 goals per game and in many of those games have struggled to even create SOG. In that time, their PP has been dreadful. They are skilled offensively, but they are young. Defensively, they've been great around their own goal and in clearing pucks, while they've also gotten very good goaltending from Larsson. This has allowed them to win games, despite playing a lot in their own end and even getting out-shot and out-possessed notably in some of those games. If UMass attacks in waves like they did this weekend - it will be interesting to see if Denver can withstand the pressure and whether or not they can counter attack with any regularity (and if they can't, can they cash in despite limited chances as they have recently - UND QF)...

The other factor will be the health of FR Emilio Pettersen - who hurt his hand/wrist and had to leave the game versus AIC. He's a pure dangler - and the most skilled player on the DU team. If he can't go or if he is limited it will really hurt an already limited offense. He drives a lot of what that first line is able to do, creating a lot of chances for Guttman and Lukosevicious.

The game will also feature one of the best offensive blueliner match-ups possible in Cale Makar and Ian Mitchell. Makar is obviously incredibly gifted - but Mitchell, a year younger, is not that far behind.

It should be a good game - featuring two distinct styles and two teams that dictate tempo and style very well. If UMass can generate a goal early, and force Denver to open up their game, I like their chances - perhaps with relative ease. On the other hand, the deeper Denver can get into the game tied or with the lead, the better chance they'll have to turn this game into a slog and pull it out. I like UMass...

---

The Denver comp for UMass is St. Cloud State - in two games in St. Cloud, earlier this season, the Pios surrendered 8 goals on 80 SOG. They did manage six goals of their own, but on only 42 SOG - as they were out-skated pretty handily...
                        Last edited by Dan; 04-01-2019, 09:59 AM.
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

Dan, without knowing the Harvard and Notre Dame players well, my take was that UMass out talented them. The outcomes were a matter of time. The week before BC better matched the UMass talent. I didn't see much of Denver this week or year, but am thinking that their talent and skill will at least allow them to compete with UMass for a while.
                          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                            Dan, without knowing the Harvard and Notre Dame players well, my take was that UMass out talented them. The outcomes were a matter of time. The week before BC better matched the UMass talent. I didn't see much of Denver this week or year, but am thinking that their talent and skill will at least allow them to compete with UMass for a while.
                            Denver has plenty of talent - there is no doubt about that - but they are very young. This weekend's broadcast noted that they have just three seniors and 19 underclassmen. I believe they are the third youngest team in all of DI hockey. That is likely contributing more to their scoring/possession slump in the second half than any lack of talent. They have players with skill, certainly, but in the stretch I referenced earlier Denver has only scored three or more goals six times in 18 games (more than 3 just four times). One of those games was the third-place game, three more were against dismal defending Miami/UNO teams, one was the three-goal spot (with an ENG) against AIC yesterday...

In their most recent (meaningful) games Denver has done this - and the run of play has reflected the shot totals in nearly all of them...
                            * Outshot 32-17 in a 2-0 win over North Dakota
                            * Outshot 42-18 in a 4-2 win (ENG) over North Dakota
                            * Outshot 33-25 in a 3-0 loss versus Minnesota-Duluth
                            * Outshot 25-13 in a 2-0 win (ENG) over Ohio State
                            * Outshot 26-24 in a 3-0 win (ENG) over AIC

So, without ENG that is 1.60 goals per game (and just 19.4 shots per game) over their last six contests (excluding their third-place NCHC win). While talented, their PP is at just 15% for the season - and only 1-for-15 over the five games listed above. They're struggling to score at the worst time, there is no two ways about that...

That said, they do have talent and they are VERY DEEP in skating ability. They can skate all four lines against anybody and all four can forecheck and defend at a high level. They should have the speed to keep up with UMass and they will absolutely make life difficult on the Minutemen in their effort to generate shots and scoring chances. Still, If DU wins the game, I'd bet it looks like the list above - with UMass clearly winning shot totals and zone time, but with Denver doing a great job of forcing shots to low percentage areas, blocking and clearing grade-A chances and getting good goaltending. But, if UMass can generate some goals - especially early - I don't see how DU can keep up...

If Denver can keep UMass off the board early - they'll do so by being in top shape defensively and grinding time away on the forecheck or in the o-zone. And they'll need to capitalize on whatever chances they do get. This is what they have been doing - but UMass will be their stiffest test in a long while...

Next year with all of the talent returning - except for a graduating Lukosevicious and a likely early departure from Mitchell - plus a few nice recruiting pieces look for this Denver team to really come together into something special. For this year's group - just getting to the FF is a huge win. If they can pull off a win or two, it would be a huge coup and absolute gravy. Its really something - winning 24 games and making it to a FF in a rebuilding/reloading years...
                            Last edited by Dan; 04-01-2019, 12:47 PM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              I'm not sure that's what Greg said, but whether he did OR it's just you saying it … all UMass has won so far is the HE regular season title. They didn't even make it to the HE Tourney Finals. Northeastern is the tourney champion. As a UNH fan, where many regular season titles were followed by no hardware postseasons, I don't remember many folks referring to UNH as the "class of the league" when that happened. Very good, yes … exciting, no doubt … but "class of the league"??? Not quite yet. We'll see.
                              Chuck, you’re hopeless. FYI, they are NCAA Northeast Regional champs by a long shot, humiliating both Harvard and Big Ten champ and three consecutive FF participant Notre Dame in the process. If you saw either game, live or on TV, you would know that UMass is a special team. Maybe they won’t win it all but I can guarantee you the other three schools in the FF fear them.

And Dan, UMass is a young team as well. Only three seniors I believe.
                              Last edited by Greg Ambrose; 04-01-2019, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                In their most recent (meaningful) games Denver has done this - and the run of play has reflected the shot totals in nearly all of them...

* Outshot 32-17 in a 2-0 win over North Dakota
                                * Outshot 42-18 in a 4-2 win (ENG) over North Dakota
                                * Outshot 33-25 in a 3-0 loss versus Minnesota-Duluth
                                * Outshot 25-13 in a 2-0 win (ENG) over Ohio State
                                * Outshot 26-24 in a 3-0 win (ENG) over AIC

So, without ENG that is 1.60 goals per game (and just 19.4 shots per game) over their last six contests (excluding their third-place NCHC win). While talented, their PP is at just 15% for the season - and only 1-for-15 over the five games listed above. They're struggling to score at the worst time, there is no two ways about that...
                                Just a few observations to provide counterpoints to your various (accurate) points:

* The most obvious, of course - 4 wins against 1 loss
                                * Denver allowed only 5 goals in those 5 games (1.00 GAA)
                                * Two of UM-D's goals were ENG's (reducing active GAA to 0.60 )
                                * Denver lost the game in which they had their most SOG

At the time of the season where defense tends to be the quality that wins you championships, Denver is scoring enough goals, playing with leads, and defending better than pretty much everyone else.

So I'll take Denver to counter your shrewd, no-lose choice of UMass.

P.S. - the above is yet more evidence that SOG is largely meaningless. I've always said, and will continue to say … give me the first goal of the game, you can have overall SOG superiority, and the first goal will do better as an indicator of success (W). Neither is foolproof, of course. In your small sample above:

Score 1st goal: 5-0-0
                                Shots On Goal: 1-4-0

P.P.S. to Greg - yes, UMass are "Northeast Regional Champions", good point. Maybe we should slip a note to BS35+8 to try to arrange for a banner at The Whitt to denote various "regional championships" UNH has won? For a program known for liberal banner usage, how did we manage to miss that one?!?!?

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X