Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

I have been watching a lot of the Carolina games this year mostly for the group of UNH players in their system. Foegele had a very interesting season where he started off hot on the offense and moved up to the second line for a stretch of 5-7 games. After the hot start his offense fell way off and it caused him to slip down the lineup to 4th line duty where he stayed until the playoffs. The part that impressed me is that when he lost his offensive streak he started showing some great two way playing skills that made him a key piece of their penalty kill. This also kept him from being in the rotation of 4th liners who were healthy scratches 1 out of every 3 games. At the end of the season he got hot on the scoring and adding in a few injuries and now he is back in the top 6 again. It is great to see him adapt to the roles the team needed to fill and that should lead to him being a solid NHL level player going forward.

Jumping to Poturalski, it was said here by someone (Dan, Chuck, or both) that his skill set really doesn't play well to being a bottom 6 forward at the NHL level. Where Carolina has a pretty good top 6 I can see why he has not made the jump yet, honestly I think he would have been the next call up if they had lost another forward to injury. Unlike some I have not seen him play since he left UNH but it sounds like he is on the edge of getting to the big show. I would not be surprised to see him end up with another team next year, my guess would be a team that is having cap problems looking for a cheap scoring option. It would be a bit of a gamble but not an unreasonable one.
    Last edited by deltabravo62; 05-02-2019, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
      Chuck

TVR was not a spare part but integral to success for Carolina. You may have watched the games, but we probably saw it through different lenses before he got hurt. He was terrific in moving and clearing the puck for the first series and until hurt in second series.

You are correct that Foegele was going to be a great player and UNH probably had little to do with his pro career. It took him a little longer than expected but he is now a legit future star in the NHL. I believe he is 23 and Pesce is the real deal and is among the best ever coming from UNH. He is among the best defensemen in the NHL.

Poturalski will eventually make it to the NHL as a top 6 forward. I am surprised that they did not call him up just to be on the power play, as he is a great skater and has a great shot. He played on the 4th line full strength last year and on first power play. He played in the top 6 this year and I do not believe they are giving up on him. While watching him play in CT vs Rangers AHL team, he was the best skater on the ice especially on power plays. As you say, he may be on another team next season but I honestly think he will be in the NHL soon. Poturalski had leg problems in his late teens early 20's and that is why he came to UNH older than expected. He had 60+ pts in USHL on a decent team.

Thanks for the hockey chat Chuck
      It wasn't meant as a swipe at TVR, '32. But he's not on one of the two top pairings, nor was he in Chicago. He's enjoyed a more prominent role in Carolina, but he's still a 3rd pairing guy. Pesce is getting top (and tough) minutes against the best players on the opposing teams. Yes, he is the real deal. Arguably already the second best NHL defenseman ever from UNH, behind a guy who won two Norris Trophies (Langway).

There are no two ways about it, Pesce is the goods. Maybe the first clue should have been how well he handled taking on the top pairing time at UNH when the other guys left/graduated.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again … Poturalski CAN be an NHL player, but unless/until he develops a two way game, he's stuck between being not good enough to play a top six role on a good team, and not defensively responsible enough to make himself a role on the other two lines - again, with a good NHL team. Frankly, the kind of team AP could probably walk into at this very moment is my Red Wings. Or at least until they hired Yzerman, perhaps? He can be serviceable at the NHL level but once his team gets good, he's out the door. Mark Mowers comes to mind as a guy with a similar skill set coming out of UNH. Great D-1 offensive skills, but small and limited defensively.

You can't compare AP to a guy like Daniel Winnik, who could play the body and developed a strong checking game to fill out a bottom six roster slot for a lot of (mostly mediocre) teams over a lot of years.

That is not meant to bash AP, or even TvR. It's just an objective take on both of them, and I know it bothers a lot of you when I share similar thoughts on JvR. Foegele could develop to that level someday, and most of us would think that's a great outcome for him … and it probably would be. The only difference between the two is that one was drafted #2 overall, and the other was drafted in the 3rd round. On that front, it's all about expectations ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Matias Cleland announced in his exit interview with the Adirondack Thunder that he is done playing hockey. Wishing him well on his next venture!
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          Pastrnak is trash this series. More infuriating than anything is that he was likely WASTED and hurt it in a g**** parking garage and not even in a game or practice. Total nonsense.

I sure hope he doesn't have a drinking problem....
          Do you still stand by your assessment of Pasta?
          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
            Do you still stand by your assessment of Pasta?
            B's PP absolutely stinks tonight. Horrible!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              B's PP absolutely stinks tonight. Horrible!!
              Yup.

Nice save by 2 u's 2 k's Rask tho

Comment

Yup.

Nice save by 2 u's 2 k's Rask tho
                Pastrnak is horrendous!

Comment

Pastrnak is horrendous!
                  No "I" in team! Or Pasta for that matter!

Comment

No "I" in team! Or Pasta for that matter!
                    There is an "I" in Linguine tho

Comment

To get back on thread, the Brown Bears are returning to the Whitt on 4 January 2020, and without a NRN as a reason. :-)

Edit: ok, better third period for Pastrnak and his linemates.

But, back to UNH schedule in 2019-2020. I just learned that the Cats will be visiting Bentley's "new" arena on 18 October. If anyone is interested in a guided pre-game tour of Waltham's finer drinking and eating establishments on Main and Moody Streets, my services will be available. :-)
                      Last edited by Snively65; 05-02-2019, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        But, back to UNH schedule in 2019-2020. I just learned that the Cats will be visiting Bentley's "new" arena on 18 October. If anyone is interested in a guided pre-game tour of Waltham's finer drinking and eating establishments on Main and Moody Streets, my services will be available. :-)
                        It's been over 35 years now, I'd probably get lost trying to find the old places …

Comment

To get back on thread, the Brown Bears are returning to the Whitt on 4 January 2020, and without a NRN as a reason. :-)

Edit: ok, better third period for Pastrnak and his linemates.

Count me in sir!!! Looking forward to seeing this new arena and the fine establishments in the area!
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

How 'bout those Hurricanes? Congrats to the boys of "UNH South"
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
                              Chuck

TVR was not a spare part but integral to success for Carolina. You may have watched the games, but we probably saw it through different lenses before he got hurt. He was terrific in moving and clearing the puck for the first series and until hurt in second series.

You are correct that Foegele was going to be a great player and UNH probably had little to do with his pro career. It took him a little longer than expected but he is now a legit future star in the NHL. I believe he is 23 and Pesce is the real deal and is among the best ever coming from UNH. He is among the best defensemen in the NHL.

Poturalski will eventually make it to the NHL as a top 6 forward. I am surprised that they did not call him up just to be on the power play, as he is a great skater and has a great shot. He played on the 4th line full strength last year and on first power play. He played in the top 6 this year and I do not believe they are giving up on him. While watching him play in CT vs Rangers AHL team, he was the best skater on the ice especially on power plays. As you say, he may be on another team next season but I honestly think he will be in the NHL soon. Poturalski had leg problems in his late teens early 20's and that is why he came to UNH older than expected. He had 60+ pts in USHL on a decent team.

Thanks for the hockey chat Chuck
                              I agree with 32 on TvR's role on the Canes. Kinda hard to crack the top four blueliners when they are Slavin, Hamilton, Faulk, and Pesce, probably the top two D pairs in the NHL this season. But, TvR (78 games, 3+11=14 pts) and de Hann (74 games, 1+13=14 points) may have been the best third D pair in the NHL.

Nice sweep of the Isles tonight.

Chuck, no tribute from you yet for Red Kelly?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                I agree with 32 on TvR's role on the Canes. Kinda hard to crack the top four blueliners when they are Slavin, Hamilton, Faulk, and Pesce, probably the top two D pairs in the NHL this season. But, TvR (78 games, 3+11=14 pts) and de Hann (74 games, 1+13=14 points) may have been the best third D pair in the NHL.

Nice sweep of the Isles tonight.

Chuck, no tribute from you yet for Red Kelly?
                                No one was calling Gary Doak a key cog in the B's defensive corps back in the Bobby Orr or Brad Park eras.

You can be getting regular ice time, but 3rd pairing is 3rd pairing. Lesser among equals. That's all I'm saying.

Yeah, it's been a tough few months for the DRW Alumni Association. First Ted Lindsay, now Red Kelly, and of course not that long ago, it was good ol' #9 himself too. Kelly retired as a player before I had any recollection of him playing (and he left DRW before I was born), but my memory of him was as the head coach in Toronto in the mid-'70's, one year in which his team took the defending Cup champion Flyers to 7 games when he was using some bizarre "pyramid power" schtick to offset the Broad St. Bullies.

I did see the following from Stan Fischler yesterday (linked below), where he makes the case for Red as the progenitor of Bobby Orr, and perhaps the most unique superstar in the long history of the NHL, being in the midst of two dynasties (DRW in the '50's as a defenseman, then with Toronto in the '60's as a center, winning 4 Cups apiece at each destination). I never saw the guy, and footage of his DRW days is limited and grainy, but he was apparently the goods. And he wore #4, which is a go-to number for elite all-time great defensemen.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...-like-no-other

Comment

Working...
                                X