Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Good to see the full schedule. Lots of Saturday games in Durham, which I like, as difficult for me to attend Friday home games.
    Lots of Saturday night home games not so good for yours truly, unfortunately.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      Lots of Saturday night home games not so good for yours truly, unfortunately.
      Someday we will meet at Libby's, Chuck. Or, who knows, maybe BS35+8, MS, and associates will get the Cats back to da Gahdin, sooner than later? :-)

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

https://files.constantcontact.com/d8...1cc25c41bb.pdf
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• What is in the PDF?

Comment

What is in the PDF?
            Letter from Marty Scarano, explaining in positive terms that the Friends Of UNH Hockey will cease to exist in its present form.
            UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
              Letter from Marty Scarano, explaining in positive terms that the Friends Of UNH Hockey will cease to exist in its present form.
              I don't get the this. FOH is one of the oldest in the country. Something's rotten in Denmark!
              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                I don't get the this. FOH is one of the oldest in the country. Something's rotten in Denmark!
                Saw this one coming a mile away, sadly. It's all about control.

Three guesses (and the first two don't count) on who will be in total charge in the aftermath ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Three guesses (and the first two don't count) on who will be in total charge in the aftermath ...
                  All of this is understandable on some level but my guess is that the team will lose more than it gains. We all like to be affiliated with something we love, especially if we feel we have some control over it. My guess is that selling 50/50s will lose some of its feel for many and others will find it less appealing to be on a committee to do this or that. Yes, it can probably work but being part of something that owns an activity feels so much more like support. And what is the difference if someone sells raffle tickets and gives it to the AD or they get it and donates it to an authorized project.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                    All of this is understandable on some level but my guess is that the team will lose more than it gains. We all like to be affiliated with something we love, especially if we feel we have some control over it. My guess is that selling 50/50s will lose some of its feel for many and others will find it less appealing to be on a committee to do this or that. Yes, it can probably work but being part of something that owns an activity feels so much more like support. And what is the difference if someone sells raffle tickets and gives it to the AD or they get it and donates it to an authorized project.
                    ....so much I'd like to say about all of this...but I had my say recently and am glad I got that chance in front of some VIP's. I believe they heard us and that letter is the result of many people voicing their concerns over the loss of the group. I will miss the after game meetings where we could really get to know the team, the coaching staff and the 'friends' made while doing so. I applaud the group for all they did over the years and hope that players get the same level of support that they were able to give. Happy to assist in anyway possible. The group has given their farewell on their website and it was great to see some of them at the cookout recently. They love the 'Cats too and that won't change:

https://friendsofunhhockey.com/
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 07-15-2019, 07:22 PM.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Do you think that MS7 and BS35+8 got feeling all high and mighty when attendance improved this past season, so decided they no longer need FOH?

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        The group has given their farewell on their website and it was great to see some of them at the cookout recently. They love the 'Cats too and that won't change:

https://friendsofunhhockey.com/
                        Bruce's message to the FOH faithful seems to be written through gritted teeth. After all these years, this has to be tough for him. We can say "Hey, now he can at least relax and enjoy the games", but once you go "all in" like he has (and others, like our Greg), it's tough being told you're not wanted anymore. You can dress it up however you like, but that's what's happened here. Kudos to all those who did FOH service for all of these years now. You've all done collectively more for the UNH Hockey program than your de facto "replacement" (and I use that term VERY loosely) can ever hope to accomplish, including his remaining tenure. FACT.

Do you think that MS7 and BS35+8 got feeling all high and mighty when attendance improved this past season, so decided they no longer need FOH?
                        I don't think one of those guys needed a whole lot of encouragement on that front, Snives.

The other guy fully realizes he's serving at the whim of the AD, and he's just along for the ride.

But that's what he signed up for four (?) summers ago, so I really don't expect him to say boo.

As long as the on-ice product improves, MS7 is doing his job. Until/unless he wildly succeeds in his position - at least on par with the accomplishments of guys like Bazin and Carvel - he'll never have any leverage in his relationship with the current AD. Umile built his up with the prior regime (including the virtual lifetime contract), and he is likely going to go down as the last guy to ever have had a chance to "save" the FOH in their original incarnation. His retirement set the stage for these latest dominoes to fall.

Comment

Marty writes: "... amid constant change with NCAA compliance rules and regulations..." UNH felt that the FOH would benefit from compliance guidance. One might look at this as control.

Guess one: you. Guess two: me. Guess three: UNH Advancement.

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                          My guess is the team will gain more than it loses. Perhaps some new and even new old people will sell 50/50s. People can still be part of something, precisely the topic of the letter. The difference, for sure, is who is ultimately in control of the money. I vote for the organization with a compliance department.

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          ....so much I'd like to say about all of this...but I had my say recently and am glad I got that chance in front of some VIP's. I believe they heard us and that letter is the result of many people voicing their concerns over the loss of the group. I will miss the after game meetings where we could really get to know the team, the coaching staff and the 'friends' made while doing so. I applaud the group for all they did over the years and hope that players get the same level of support that they were able to give. Happy to assist in anyway possible. The group has given their farewell on their website and it was great to see some of them at the cookout recently. They love the 'Cats too and that won't change:https://friendsofunhhockey.com/
                          Marty asks for: "... volunteers... to help plan... special fan and player events...". Keep hope. Better yet, volunteer.

Bruce's message to the FOH faithful seems to be written through gritted teeth. After all these years, this has to be tough for him. We can say "Hey, now he can at least relax and enjoy the games", but once you go "all in" like he has (and others, like our Greg), it's tough being told you're not wanted anymore. You can dress it up however you like, but that's what's happened here. Kudos to all those who did FOH service for all of these years now. You've all done collectively more for the UNH Hockey program than your de facto "replacement" (and I use that term VERY loosely) can ever hope to accomplish, including his remaining tenure. FACT.

The other guy fully realizes he's serving at the whim of the AD, and he's just along for the ride.

As long as the on-ice product improves, MS7 is doing his job. Until/unless he wildly succeeds in his position - at least on par with the accomplishments of guys like Bazin and Carvel - he'll never have any leverage in his relationship with the current AD. Umile... is likely going to go down as the last guy to ever have had a chance to "save" the FOH in their original incarnation.
                          Was he? Did UNH evaluate the FOH and determine that nothing could be better so let's disband it? Was the decision made in a vacuum? Were there discussions with the FOH board? Was UNH represented on the board? I find it hard to view UNH as the evil empire and the AD as Darth Scarano.

Better than a virtual lifetime contract.

Or Coach Umile. Lets go back to the FF.

After compliance, the biggest takeaway from Marty's letter is: "...without the use of a formal governance structure...". A modern and nimble athletic financial support effort. Coming soon to a team near you.

Comment

Darius, another way of looking at it is … it's really a microcosm of what's going on in the outside world.

Some folks are just more comfortable than others in entrusting the things they care about with a permanent admin structure, and others prefer a little more freedom to do what (and how) they please.

As far as I know, there is no official recognition of anyone on the FOH for their half-century's worth of good deeds around the UNH Hockey program. Stuff they did made a HUGE difference for the program, and their actions never cast any shadows over the integrity of the program, never created any damage to the reputation of the program or the school. Unlike the actions of at least one assistant coach of recent vintage … which just so happened under the laser-focused "oversight" of the current AD.

Just sayin'.

Not that the folks at FOH ever wanted public recognition for its good deeds. But … you can bet the self-esteemed AD's name will be attached to the football stadium in some capacity ("McDonnell Field at Infinity Stadium" perhaps? ) the second he retires … or at least when he officially retires, since he's been on hard-core cruise control since at least 2015 (and arguably much sooner).

My sincere and personal thanks to all who ran FOH with such class and good intentions over the years.

History will look back kindly and smile on the selfless nature of your efforts. Kudos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              Darius, another way of looking at it is … it's really a microcosm of what's going on in the outside world.

Some folks are just more comfortable than others in entrusting the things they care about with a permanent admin structure, and others prefer a little more freedom to do what (and how) they please.

As far as I know, there is no official recognition of anyone on the FOH for their half-century's worth of good deeds around the UNH Hockey program. Stuff they did made a HUGE difference for the program, and their actions never cast any shadows over the integrity of the program, never created any damage to the reputation of the program or the school. Unlike the actions of at least one assistant coach of recent vintage … which just so happened under the laser-focused "oversight" of the current AD.

Just sayin'.

Not that the folks at FOH ever wanted public recognition for its good deeds. But … you can bet the self-esteemed AD's name will be attached to the football stadium in some capacity ("McDonnell Field at Infinity Stadium" perhaps? ) the second he retires … or at least when he officially retires, since he's been on hard-core cruise control since at least 2015 (and arguably much sooner).

My sincere and personal thanks to all who ran FOH with such class and good intentions over the years.

History will look back kindly and smile on the selfless nature of your efforts. Kudos.
                              Welp you pretty much said what I wanted to say Chuck!!!! I mean sure there’s more but that’s a pretty decent assessment of what happened and guess we’ll find out what the impact will / could be. That said the recent 603 drive showed men’s hockey up from last season. Of interest to this fan will be how much fan involvement will there be and sure I’d volunteer anyway possible if it meant the team would benefit. Just ask!
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

As far as I know, there is no official recognition of anyone on the FOH for their half-century's worth of good deeds around the UNH Hockey program...
                                Freedom is good. Freedom to control one's life, information and one's hockey program if one has one.

"The Friends of UNH Hockey has helped shape and support the important traditions of this program by
                                providing crucial financial support, volunteering countless hours, advocating for team personnel, and
                                offering a welcoming hand to decades of UNH student-athletes and Wildcat fans. This support has
                                contributed to building and sustaining success at both Snively Arena and the Whittemore Center Arena.
                                UNH Athletics is indebted to the “Friends” and offers hearty THANKS to its leaders, volunteers and
                                donors for a “job well done.”

Comment

Working...
                                X