Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 820 of 1002

Thread: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

  1. #801
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,383
    Quote Originally Posted by After the Whistle View Post
    Yes CLouD 9 great post. I believe that 2000 or 01 was my first year, need to check my pins, but I can't say i stayed the course as long as you. No reason other than kids in college and money was tighter at that point. The Friends have been great for UNH and deserve to be thanked big time.
    On a different note. 80 days until our first ability to see this version of Cat's Hockey and 105 days until our first "real" home game. While it is hard to question folks issues with playing a Goon Squad and having someone get hurt. Was it 2016/17 or 17/18 that it was an endless string of questionable hits and tons of penalty minutes.?
    I still like the opportunity to get that preview of the new team, new players and sense of the early lines. They have played 5 lines in the first period a couple of times. Don't ask me the years but it did surprise me. Loving the exhibition game puts me in a small minority but I will continue to hope for it. Plus can you imagine having to wait until November to see the boys on home ice!
    Waltham, North Andover, and Comm Ave are a hop, skip, jump. :-)

  2. #802
    Go 'cats!
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    1,601

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Athletics Leads University, Sets All-Time Records During The (603) Challenge: https://unhwildcats.com/news/2019/7/...b-17d28353331b
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

  3. #803
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Athletics Leads University, Sets All-Time Records During The (603) Challenge: https://unhwildcats.com/news/2019/7/...b-17d28353331b
    Led by skiing and men's hockey. Souza, O'Brien, and Enders look happy in golf course photo, happier than those portrayed on golf course in last year's off-season thread saga, or was that two years ago?

  4. #804
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    12,821

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Good to see ClOuD 9 checking in with a post supportive of the original FoH. I dropped my membership years ago, when the kids got older, and our time/energy commitments got spread in other directions. Didn't change the fact that FoH organized a lot of great events, and was acting in the best interests of folks like us who supported UNH Hockey from outside the AD's direct control.

    And it bears repeating - although what seems to be the primary justification for a needless power grab change is a desire to prevent an "outside" organization from running afoul of NCAA regulations ... never in its history did FoH create any issues or run afoul of either its mission or the NCAA. The same can't be said about the new guy in charge of what's left of the FoH, who was firmly in charge (then as now) when the NCAA landed on a former UNH assistant coach (now a HE head coach elsewhere) for going over the line. Meaning, FoH's was a better servant of UNH Hockey in 50 years than the new guy in his 20 years.

    FACT.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Led by skiing and men's hockey. Souza, O'Brien, and Enders look happy in golf course photo, happier than those portrayed on golf course in last year's off-season thread saga, or was that two years ago?
    I think "The Adventures of Souza Dick & Stu" was two off-seasons ago, Snives??

    I'm pretty sure I did it ahead of Coach Umile's final season in charge.

    As for THIS offseason … I'm thinking about getting started with the latest from WIS Productions, and without giving too much away, the following link should serve as a pretty good teaser for what could be just around the bend. Only mulling whether to keep it on this thread OR start a separate thread? Always interested in feedback … so stay cool, enjoy the weekend, and catch y'all next week!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNGQ1hUyx-k
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  5. #805
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Good to see ClOuD 9 checking in with a post supportive of the original FoH. I dropped my membership years ago, when the kids got older, and our time/energy commitments got spread in other directions. Didn't change the fact that FoH organized a lot of great events, and was acting in the best interests of folks like us who supported UNH Hockey from outside the AD's direct control.

    And it bears repeating - although what seems to be the primary justification for a needless power grab change is a desire to prevent an "outside" organization from running afoul of NCAA regulations ... never in its history did FoH create any issues or run afoul of either its mission or the NCAA. The same can't be said about the new guy in charge of what's left of the FoH, who was firmly in charge (then as now) when the NCAA landed on a former UNH assistant coach (now a HE head coach elsewhere) for going over the line. Meaning, FoH's was a better servant of UNH Hockey in 50 years than the new guy in his 20 years.

    FACT.



    I think "The Adventures of Souza Dick & Stu" was two off-seasons ago, Snives??

    I'm pretty sure I did it ahead of Coach Umile's final season in charge.

    As for THIS offseason Ö I'm thinking about getting started with the latest from WIS Productions, and without giving too much away, the following link should serve as a pretty good teaser for what could be just around the bend. Only mulling whether to keep it on this thread OR start a separate thread? Always interested in feedback Ö so stay cool, enjoy the weekend, and catch y'all next week!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNGQ1hUyx-k
    Still the off-season and still short about 200 posts to close out this off-season thread, so I vote for you to inject some renewed life into this thread, although if the YouTube vid is any indication of what is coming, we may yet have regrets regardless of thread. :-)

  6. #806
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    5,309

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Still the off-season and still short about 200 posts to close out this off-season thread, so I vote for you to inject some renewed life into this thread, although if the YouTube vid is any indication of what is coming, we may yet have regrets regardless of thread. :-)
    Here's a fun tidbit that came my way today: JvR got married as did Casey DeSmith this weekend..
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 07-20-2019 at 08:52 PM.

  7. #807
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    12,821

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Still the off-season and still short about 200 posts to close out this off-season thread, so I vote for you to inject some renewed life into this thread, although if the YouTube vid is any indication of what is coming, we may yet have regrets regardless of thread. :-)
    FWIW I've given thought to a UNH-only skit, and a more "universal" thing. IMO the latter works best.

    Not sure if the larger USCHO boards will take interest or not, but that's the risk we artistes run, eh?

    I'll probably wait 'til my low-key teaser link drops down/off a little further. As in, "Nothing to see here!"

    Happy to use this thread to clarify/tease out other stuff, or (gasp) leave it alone for UNH Hockey stuff.

    FUN WIS FACT: A few years ago, I was thisclose to trotting out an offseason bit about our now-retired legendary ex-coach that was based on an alternate take of a concept album from a prominent UK band that was released almost 40 years ago now. But then they announced "The Long Goodbye" three year retirement tour, and I thought it was going to come off a little harsh to go forward with it - especially for a guy I still have a lot of affection for - even if he did overstay his welcome a little bit. So I dropped it.

    That concept is in mothballs now, but it could easily be dragged out and re-written if it starts to fit someone else's situation. Events of the last week brought that possibility back into play. But we'll need to see how that plays out over this season, and then into future seasons/events.

    So that's it for today from the WIS Estate. Everyone stay cool and enjoy the rest of the weekend!!
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  8. #808
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    FWIW I've given thought to a UNH-only skit, and a more "universal" thing. IMO the latter works best.

    Not sure if the larger USCHO boards will take interest or not, but that's the risk we artistes run, eh?

    I'll probably wait 'til my low-key teaser link drops down/off a little further. As in, "Nothing to see here!"

    Happy to use this thread to clarify/tease out other stuff, or (gasp) leave it alone for UNH Hockey stuff.

    FUN WIS FACT: A few years ago, I was thisclose to trotting out an offseason bit about our now-retired legendary ex-coach that was based on an alternate take of a concept album from a prominent UK band that was released almost 40 years ago now. But then they announced "The Long Goodbye" three year retirement tour, and I thought it was going to come off a little harsh to go forward with it - especially for a guy I still have a lot of affection for - even if he did overstay his welcome a little bit. So I dropped it.

    That concept is in mothballs now, but it could easily be dragged out and re-written if it starts to fit someone else's situation. Events of the last week brought that possibility back into play. But we'll need to see how that plays out over this season, and then into future seasons/events.

    So that's it for today from the WIS Estate. Everyone stay cool and enjoy the rest of the weekend!!
    The intrigue is building.

    "Events of the last week......."?

  9. #809
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    12,821

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    The intrigue is building.

    "Events of the last week......."?
    The events of earlier this week will play nicely in the overall story as well. Serendipity.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  10. #810
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    132

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Joe Bertagna To Step Down as Hockey East Commissioner Following 2019-2020 Season


    Chuck,

    I hope you put your name in the hat as you would be a great Commissioner. You could see more hockey and it probably has a good salary and a great benefits package.

    Hope your summer is going well. Hope to see you at the Whit this year.

  11. #811
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,383
    Quote Originally Posted by UNH1932 View Post
    Joe Bertagna To Step Down as Hockey East Commissioner Following 2019-2020 Season


    Chuck,

    I hope you put your name in the hat as you would be a great Commissioner. You could see more hockey and it probably has a good salary and a great benefits package.

    Hope your summer is going well. Hope to see you at the Whit this year.
    I second that motion. Chuck could turn HEA things around, like in the good old days of his hero Lou Lamoriello. :-)

  12. #812
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Lynn, MA, USA
    Posts
    2,550

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Well I might as well weigh in with my thoughts on the demise of the Friends of Hockey. The truth is that the Friends were emasculated many years ago. Once the athletic department decreed that, in order to be in compliance with NCAA rules, and this was about ten years ago, the FOH had to become part of the athletic department, you know the jig was up. I became aware of the Friends a few years after I graduated (1972) when I started to sit among the ďadultsĒ at Snively and go to road games. I quickly learned the names of folks like Dick Rowell, Ken ďRipĒ Therrien, Jim Grimes and many more. These were the founders of FOH, which was basically organized because itís members felt that the athletic department wasnít doing enough to support the hockey program. The stories of how the Friends supported the program are too numerous to list but I will relate just one story. When UNH made the FF for the first time in 1977, many of us were on hand for the team skates the day before the first semifinal. Much to the chagrin of many of us UNH fans, we observed BU, Michigan, and Wisconsin skate around in sleek warmups similar to their game uniforms. UNH? They skated out there with hooded sweatshirts and jeans. Well Dick Rowell saw that and was incensed. I was years from being on the board then but the story was that at the first FOH meeting after the FF, the first order of business was to outfit the team with warmups suitable for an athletic program representing the flagship university in the state. Did they run this proposal by the athletic department before voting? Of course not, they voted to fund the warmups and told the athletic department to buy them.

    For many years the Friends had a significant hand, to the good, in the fortunes of UNH Hockey. The board couldnít unilaterally decide things like it did way back at the beginning but they raised a lot of money and wound up funding a lot of things that should have been part of the athletic department budget. No one complained. It was what folks felt they needed to do if the team was going to compete with the big boys in the league. By the time I got on the board in the early nineties, things were rolling and they continued that way until what I call the takeover. After that it just wasnít the same. Part of it was Scaranoís autocratic way of doing things but, more than anything, it was the feeling that you were just a rubber stamp. Yes, it is sad that the Friends are no more. But why the school refuses to keep the organization running, at least in name only, is beyond me. IMO, Scarano and his minions just donít care about the committed fans anymore. They feel we are a nuisance best to be ignored. Donít agree? Just look at their actions. Sad but true.

  13. #813
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    5,309

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Wonder how the golf tournament is going this year; lots of advertising for it more than ever. Hope it is as successful as it usually is for the teamís sake!

  14. #814
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    5,309

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Wonder how the golf tournament is going this year; lots of advertising for it more than ever. Hope it is as successful as it usually is for the teamís sake!

  15. #815
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    12,821

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    Yes, it is sad that the Friends are no more. But why the school refuses to keep the organization running, at least in name only, is beyond me. IMO, Scarano and his minions just donít care about the committed fans anymore. They feel we are a nuisance best to be ignored. Donít agree? Just look at their actions. Sad but true.
    Totally agree, Greg. Actions speak louder than words.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  16. #816
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    12,821

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Quote Originally Posted by UNH193a2 View Post
    Chuck,

    I hope you put your name in the hat as you would be a great Commissioner. You could see more hockey and it probably has a good salary and a great benefits package.

    Hope your summer is going well. Hope to see you at the Whit this year.
    '32, thanks for the nice note. I was driving back from an appointment this afternoon, and for whatever reason, it was then that what you suggested struck me as a terrific idea. So, tell you what I'm gonna do … I'm going to freshen up my resume, and for craps and giggles, I'm going to put out my platform - my various ideas on how to make college hockey a better place than it is today. Whether it's as Hockey East commish, or as UNH's AD, or just as the conscience of the sport in general. Right here on the offseason UNH thread (lucky youze guys, eh?). Just for a glimpse, I'll get started tonight with a few quick thoughts …

    (1) Abolishment of Instant Replay - is there anything that's more of a buzzkill than the existence of instant replay? Has anyone ever walked away from a hockey game thinking "Thank God we had instant replay on that borderline offsides call in the second period?" No (at least no one with a shred of sanity). Is it a good hockey decision to scour three different camera angles to tell whether someone's skate was an inch above the blue line OR in contact with the blue line? Or whether someone was using a distinct kicking motion, or closed their glove on a puck?? Is instant replay REALLY essential for anything other than determining whether or not all of the puck broke all of the plane of the goal line??? There is technology available in both tennis and soccer which allows this to be determined virtually instantaneously. So … install the goal line tech, and abolish the rest. Nothing says stupidity like sucking the immediate emotion out of an OT GWG than the inevitable replay review. "Yay, we won!!" Oops, not yet. Wait for the video review … "Yay, we really won". Pure magic. Just trust the refs with the rest of the calls. It's a game, it's entertainment, and it was fine for a hundred years of fantastic spontaneous momens. Don't fix what ain't broken.

    (2) OK to Kick the Crap out of the Puck - I never really understood why you can't kick the pick in for a goal. You can kick it pretty much anywhere else on the ice. There is skill in being able to control the puck with your skates. If you extend that to allowing intentional goalfront deflections with the skate, what's the big deal? You can deflect the puck for a goal with anything else - your stick, your knee, your elbow, your butt (see Pat Norton), your helmet, etc. And you can kick the crap out of the puck anywhere else on the ice surface. Are we really worried about Clint Malarchuk 2.0?

    (3) Open up the Bars and Let College Kids be College Kids - effective immediately, all HE arenas should be granted licenses to sell beer before and during games. And the drinking age at the arenas should be immediately lowered to 18 yrs. old. Basically, these kids are either going to drink in their dorm, or at someone's party or somewhere else on Friday or Saturday game nights. Why not just let it happen organically at the arena? Home teams only, unless the visiting team's fans come via bus and get passes to confirm they're not driving home. It's out there anyway, why not just make the game the best ******ing party on campus, force the frats to work on filling up prime drinking dates on travel weekends, or on other weekday evenings, or Sundays?

    (4) Do We Really Need 4 Officials? - I say NO. Three was enough for a very long time, and three should still be enough to cover the important things. Look at the money that the league would save right there. 25% reduction in on-ice personnel, and those old goal judges don't come back because of #1 above. The only really good reason to keep four around is a bit controversial …

    (5) Allow Fighting in College Hockey - nothing, and I mean NOTHING gets a hockey crowd going like a honest-to-goodness drop the gloves fight. Make it hurt, say a 10 minute penalty, or a 20 minute penalty even, but none of this suspension BS. It's a tough game, and it's allowed at all of the "next levels". Why put the players at a competitive disadvantage, and deprive the fans (with lots of beer) to a tremendous spectacle in the process? And last but not least ...

    (6) Make the 50-50 Raffle Really Count for Something - as in the past, the first 50% goes to the program. Instead of cashing out the other 50% to a winner every night, put the winner's name in contention for a mega-prize at the end of the season. If you're a participating family with kids, the end-of-season drawing among the 15 or so winners could come with a prize of a full year's free tuition, room and board at UNH (or whatever school is hosting your game). If you participate and don't have kids, then you win a Mercedes or a Beemer or similar type vehicle. A dealership sponsor could get loads of publicity off that alone.

    I'm just getting started, folks. Hope this is a good start, thinking outside the box and all.

    Next up will be the media/TV issue that's proven to be such a thorn in Joey B's side. Stay tuned ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  17. #817
    Go 'cats!
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    1,601

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    You had me at "Abolishment of Instant Replay". #chuck2019
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

  18. #818
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    393

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    you lost me at allowing fighting

  19. #819
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,383
    Quote Originally Posted by DLG View Post
    you lost me at allowing fighting
    As he said, he is "just getting started." :-)

  20. #820
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    5,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    As he said, he is "just getting started." :-)
    Brace yourselves folks Iíve a feeling weíre not in Kansas anymore...#ChuckForCommish
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 07-27-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •