Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
    Gildon might leave but he's far from ready IMHO!

It's also far too early to stir the pot on Souza. We had this conversation last year during golf season.
    It's not golf season yet. The fairways are still quagmires...

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Gildon might leave but he's far from ready IMHO!

It's also far too early to stir the pot on Souza. We had this conversation last year during golf season.
      Gildon HAS to go, IMHO, for the reasons you probably think he needs to stay. There is little benefit to him repeating this level again next year - outside of him dominating and us enjoying. He needs to be pushed. That is what is best for his development moving forward. Both in terms of further honing his superior skills and forcing him to be more judicial in his decision making, etc. If there is a primary factor in his mistakes at this level, its the fact that he is so talented he gets away with skating and handling too much or taking too much time. When he gets away with skating/handling too much, he thinks he can always skate and handle out of trouble. At this level next year, thats likely the case. At the next level he wont be able to do that and it will make him a better player, more aware of when to push the play and when to keep it simple.

Gildon's goal is a long term career in the NHL - not getting to the NHL right out of college. The best thing for his game, his career and getting to the NHL quickly, is to play a year in the AHL against stronger, more talented and more experienced opponents. There is only one reason for Gildon to return, in my opinion - and that would be because he truly wants to stay (which I would love)...

As to the second point, Ill quickly - and just once - reiterate that Souza has been recruiting for UNH for four-years now. This season's team was his. Next season's team is his. His evaluation started this season. I won't begrudge anyone - like Greg - who takes the year as a glass half full, but the reality is it IS his glass. The grace period for evaluating coaches has always been because of the need for a coach to recruit his or her players to a program following a coaching change. That doesn't apply. Souza has had the sole responsibility for determining who was on this year's roster and who is on next season's club...
      Last edited by Dan; 03-18-2019, 02:46 PM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        It's not golf season yet. The fairways are still quagmires...
        My son-in-law is a super in Mass. I'll be playing at his course by tax day which is the 17th BTW! :-)
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Gildon HAS to go, IMHO, for the reasons you probably think he needs to stay. There is little benefit to him repeating this level again next year - outside of him dominating and us enjoying. He needs to be pushed. That is what is best for his development moving forward. Both in terms of further honing his superior skills and forcing him to be more judicial in his decision making, etc. If there is a primary factor in his mistakes at this level, its the fact that he is so talented he gets away with skating and handling too much or taking too much time. When he gets away with skating/handling too much, he thinks he can always skate and handle out of trouble. At this level next year, thats likely the case. At the next level he wont be able to do that and it will make him a better player, more aware of when to push the play and when to keep it simple.

Gildon's goal is a long term career in the NHL - not getting to the NHL right out of college. The best thing for his game, his career and getting to the NHL quickly, is to play a year in the AHL against stronger, more talented and more experienced opponents. There is only one reason for Gildon to return, in my opinion - and that would be because he truly wants to stay (which I would love)...

As to the second point, Ill quickly - and just once - reiterate that Souza has been recruiting for UNH for four-years now. This season's team was his. Next season's team is his. His evaluation started this season. I won't begrudge anyone - like Greg - who takes the year as a glass half full, but the reality is it IS his glass. The grace period for evaluating coaches has always been BECAUSE of the need for a coach to recruit his or her players to a program following a coaching change. That doesn't apply. Souza has had sole responsibility for determining who was on this year's team and who is on next season's club...
          Regarding Gildon, I guess you're right. Would love it if he gave UNH one more year. Seen this movie before. All too often it seems like guys languish when they leave early and end up in the ECHL and/or Europe. Maybe not so much for defensemen. We'll see!

As far as Souza is concerned, I'm willing to give him two more years.
          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

My son-in-law is a super in Mass. I'll be playing at his course by tax day which is the 17th BTW! :-)
            In Central Mass we have a little more snow. I'm hoping April 24. Fingers crossed!!

Comment

Regarding Gildon, I guess you're right. Would love it if he gave UNH one more year. Seen this movie before. All too often it seems like guys languish when they leave early and end up in the ECHL and/or Europe. Maybe not so much for defensemen. We'll see!

I predict that MS gets many more than the next two years as UNH HC, regardless how the team performs. But, too early for an over/under contest. :-)

Comment

Gannon G.C. in Lynn might open this Thursday. The sun and the wind has dried things out quickly around here. But honestly, March golf is rarely pleasant. Considering that I had a scope done on my left knee three weeks ago, I’ll probably wait until after I get back from the FF.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                  Gannon G.C. in Lynn might open this Thursday. The sun and the wind has dried things out quickly around here. But honestly, March golf is rarely pleasant. Considering that I had a scope done on my left knee three weeks ago, I’ll probably wait until after I get back from the FF.
                  Good idea. Took me about six weeks to recover from that...no reason to rush and then miss more of the season...

Comment

Chuck, I just turned 71 last week. Same age as Bobby Orr btw. Personally, I don’t think we have any choice but to be patient. The program has been in the dumpster for the last five or six years. Kids being recruited now weren’t even born the last time UNH was in the FF. We are not relevant! When you are starting from scratch you’re just not going to pull the rabbit out of your hat who’s going to present you with three top draft choices. Carvel did it, of course, and I am sure Dan will mention that. But how many programs go from worst to first in three years? And I will say the recruiting landscape has changed. There are fewer high quality players in college hockey now compared to 15 or 20 years ago. Back then every team in HE had a couple of pretty good guys. Nowadays the bottom half of the league is filled with kids who just skate up and down the ice with little creativity in their game. And it goes without saying that , if you happen to land a couple of blue chippas, they’ll be gone in a year or two. Personally, I don’t think it is the way to build a program that can be sustained. You primarily need kids who are going to be invested in the program and the school. Sprinkle a couple in who might leave and maybe you’ll win. Just not as easy as some people want to make it IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      Good idea. Took me about six weeks to recover from that...no reason to rush and then miss more of the season...
                      My PT is reinforcing that message every time I see her. Believe it or not, I’m taking her advice. Icing right now as I type!

Comment

Yeah, I get that. I wouldn't worry about the ECHL with Gildon - and I dont think there is much doubt he gets a crack at the NHL within a few years (at most). Its more about what kind of development will allow him to have an extended career and what kind of player he can be when he gets there. The two most likely outcomes are probably long-term NHL defenseman or a few years (perhaps up and down - worst case) and then off to Europe. I'm not sure another year of college really factors into it as much as how hard he works at developing the areas of his game that need the work. I think FLA is a good situation for him, because they need young talent on the blue line. All of that said, I'd love to watch him one more year in Durham, too. I just don't see it happening...
                        Last edited by Dan; 03-18-2019, 03:53 PM.
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          I predict that MS gets many more than the next two years as UNH HC, regardless how the team performs. But, too early for an over/under contest. :-)
                          Biggest fear. Should be on everyone's radar. This is a very possible reality with Scarano as the AD - look at the Basketball coach...
                          Last edited by Dan; 03-18-2019, 03:53 PM.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                            My PT is reinforcing that message every time I see her. Believe it or not, I’m taking her advice. Icing right now as I type!
                            I've had three of those done. Inflammation causes more damage than anything else in the body. Keep icing! And get that range of motion back (build up the quads to stabilize the knee). And good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              Biggest fear. Should be on everyone's radar. This is a very possible reality with Scarano as the AD - look at the Basketball coach...
                              This has been scaring the crap out of me since the day "The Plan" was hatched almost 4 years ago now.

I just want to see tangible progress, improved results, and sooner rather that later.

I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I was with this past weekend ...
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                This has been scaring the crap out of me since the day "The Plan" was hatched almost 4 years ago now.

I just want to see tangible progress, improved results, and sooner rather that later.

I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I was with this past weekend ...
                                Chuck, you have to be kidding me. You may recall that you were the only one on this forum who thought that UMass, as a newbie powerhouse, wouldn’t be ready for the playoffs. I think you can take solace in the fact that the first game went to double OT, but the fact is that UMass advancing was never in doubt. In fact, now that they got slapped in the face in that first game, they’ll probably win HE.

I think you have to face reality that UNH is nowhere near ready to compete with complete teams. In HE, there were two IMO, UMass and Northeastern. The fact is that they hung with Providence, did not lose to Lowell, and beat and tied BC. I firmly believe that, if they had converted a couple of those ties into wins and grabbed the seventh spot, they would have taken PC to a third game and might have beaten them. How would you have viewed the team then?

A dose of realism is what you should be prescribed. Check with your doctor.

Comment

Working...
                                X