Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Has there been any confirmation of BvR casting his lot with the Huntington Hounds?

Also, waiting for news on the team's post-season awards, next year's captain(s), etc.

Although IIRC MS7 made the captaincy something he picked in September last year ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Several awards were presented before the game on Senior night because there is no longer a post season banquet.
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        Foegele played the exhibition and the first five games of the year before leaving - all on the third or fourth lines and with NO power-play time. His line mates were as follows...

SFX: Vela - Eiserman (3rd)
        AIC: Vela - Eiserman (3rd)
        SLU: Vela - Hill (3rd)
        CLK: Nazarian - Hill (4th)
        UM; Nazarian - Miller (3rd)
        UC: Nazarian - Miller (3rd)

The top-six and PP forwards for all six games were as follows...

MacDonald - Smith - Gaudreault
        Correale - Poturalski - Kelleher

It was quite clear at the time, and even more so in hindsight that the top-six and PP was badly misconstructed. Foegele immediately tore up the OHL and a few rarely used forwards turned out big JR seasons when they finally got a chance. A non-seniority play a la the lines below would have better served the team and if Foegele is playing in the top-six, on the PP and really getting a chance to develop he probably is far more willing to make his long distance relationship work...

Correale - Poturalski - Kelleher
        Foegele - McNicholas - Gaudreault
        Salvaggio - Vela - Nazarian
        Hill - Smith - Eiserman
        Boy ain't that the truth. If Umile loved Foegele so much, why was he buried? Yes, UNH recruiting was not the best, but we were absolutely not getting the most of the players we had.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
          Several awards were presented before the game on Senior night because there is no longer a post season banquet.
          Heard no awards were given out at that event as the banquet was held on Sunday of Senior weekend and not hosted by the FOH. Just saying what a shame after 25 years of hosting an amazing event the FOH are out...Times have changed...oh well sigh...
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-22-2019, 01:22 PM.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Heard no awards were given out at that event as the banquet was held on Sunday of Senior weekend and not hosted by the FOH. Just saying what a shame after 25 years of hosting an amazing event the FOH are out...Times have changed...oh well sigh...
            Sad indeed! If it is an attempt to move on, it still misses the mark and the awards during the last game whereas everyone was heading up the stairs for food or other relief.
            Perhaps the FOH were part of the decision but it is hard for me to write that story. The captain thing is understandable on some levels and could serve a purpose for MS and the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
              Sad indeed! If it is an attempt to move on, it still misses the mark and the awards during the last game whereas everyone was heading up the stairs for food or other relief.
              Perhaps the FOH were part of the decision but it is hard for me to write that story. The captain thing is understandable on some levels and could serve a purpose for MS and the team.
              Well I’m going to say less than I know about this one (for a change). Don’t want to open a big can of worms. Let’s just say that chapter of the “FOH” as we have known it is over.
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                Boy ain't that the truth. If Umile loved Foegele so much, why was he buried? Yes, UNH recruiting was not the best, but we were absolutely not getting the most of the players we had.
                Right on -- exactly.

Umile "loved" all his players and recruits. As others have noted, Foegele slammed into the "Umile seniority system"...and left town. I'm not buying that he left simply because he was in love.

I'll give them some credit (B-/C+) for the recruiting in that stretch of time. But to me, he (they) failed on the personnel management front...badly. The individual cases aside - and there's a bunch of them - my favorite is the 2009 sanctioning and probation, which put them behind the 8-ball for that recruiting season; effectively longer. Who knows the real impact of that little Borek wonder-stunt.
                Shrink-The-Rink, Win a Title

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  Well I’m going to say less than I know about this one (for a change). Don’t want to open a big can of worms. Let’s just say that chapter of the “FOH” as we have known it is over.
                  Not like it is top secret stuff? Has FOH disbanded? A little info as to what is going on would be nice.
                  GO BLUE!

Comment

Meanwhile, Foegele has another goal in 2-2 game 6 early in second.

Comment

• From what I understand UNH Athletics wants booster clubs to be aligned in a similar fashion whatever that means. Even last season it was going around that the 50/50 would not be a FOH gig next season. Quite honestly I do not know how other “friends” groups operate but I do know the org I joined 4 years ago will not operate in the same manner going forward. I hear the annual golf tournament will happen this summer. The fun meetings after select games are not going to happen anymore; what, if anything will take their place is unknown (to me).

I am wondering if those of us who have been in the org will get a definitive explanation? Anyway...that’s pretty much what I have heard. There’s gotta be some hard feelings tho esp around the banquet. That was really disappointing; never got to really say goodbye to the Seniors like in the past. Glad I made the trek to UMass after all as it turned out; the banquet had already happened the week before.

So that’s what I know. I still want to contribute to the team financially as much as in the past and hope others will as well. Maybe someone else will give more details. At the very least it should not be up to members of the FOH to set the record straight IMO...
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Brett Pesce third star of the game with nice interview after. On to game 7.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          From what I understand UNH Athletics wants booster clubs to be aligned in a similar fashion whatever that means....
                          Anyone know how FOWH has operated since BlueSkyz disbanded the real organization some years ago?
                          Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                            Anyone know how FOWH has operated since BlueSkyz disbanded the real organization some years ago?
                            Zoofer... if you’re listening....
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Wow … take a couple of days off, and even in the offseason, you can miss a lot of stuff.

Sad to read about the apparent demise of the Men's FoH … when this program was at its best, there was a lot to be had through the FoH, and a lot of dedicated UNH hockey fans running the show. It seems to have slid backwards a little bit in recent seasons, not unlike the program they've supported. Can't say I'm all that surprised to see BS35+8 swooping in when they're down, and with Coach Umile out of the way, going for the kill shot. A fairly similar pattern played out almost the same way with FoWH and the departure of Coach McCloskey. I was given a lot of insight into the situation at the time (on the condition of confidentiality) by a lot of well-intentioned people, and it was eye-opening (and disappointing), to say the least. I'll leave it at that, unless others are comfortable chiming in to flesh out the further details that were shared with me confidentially.

Things seem to be repeating themselves on the Men's side. Not surprising, the same guy is in charge, and timing-wise I find it fascinating that both instances occurred when long-time, old-guard coaches had just left the program, to be replaced by young coaches without the pull to defend long-standing FoH organizations.

As far as end-of-season awards go, no big deal, but it occurs to me that *maybe* the recipients of these awards should enjoy a brief moment of public recognition for their efforts, rather than just slapping their name on the trophy/plaque and letting some bypassing fans on the concourse discover it by chance sometime next season. If this is the "new way" at UNH, it's regrettable.

JMHO.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                Wow … take a couple of days off, and even in the offseason, you can miss a lot of stuff.

Sad to read about the apparent demise of the Men's FoH … when this program was at its best, there was a lot to be had through the FoH, and a lot of dedicated UNH hockey fans running the show. It seems to have slid backwards a little bit in recent seasons, not unlike the program they've supported. Can't say I'm all that surprised to see BS35+8 swooping in when they're down, and with Coach Umile out of the way, going for the kill shot. A fairly similar pattern played out almost the same way with FoWH and the departure of Coach McCloskey. I was given a lot of insight into the situation at the time (on the condition of confidentiality) by a lot of well-intentioned people, and it was eye-opening (and disappointing), to say the least. I'll leave it at that, unless others are comfortable chiming in to flesh out the further details that were shared with me confidentially.

Things seem to be repeating themselves on the Men's side. Not surprising, the same guy is in charge, and timing-wise I find it fascinating that both instances occurred when long-time, old-guard coaches had just left the program, to be replaced by young coaches without the pull to defend long-standing FoH organizations.

As far as end-of-season awards go, no big deal, but it occurs to me that *maybe* the recipients of these awards should enjoy a brief moment of public recognition for their efforts, rather than just slapping their name on the trophy/plaque and letting some bypassing fans on the concourse discover it by chance sometime next season. If this is the "new way" at UNH, it's regrettable.

JMHO.
                                Chuck, this appears a bit heavy on the FOH folks. I not sure that they went backwards as much as the fan base has gone backwards. As attendance fell, so did the audience and the overall passion of the crowds. I felt that we were on a collective rebuild this year in terms of attendance and general good will. I certainly hope that something that feels good to them can be salvaged. First off the FOH appear to have lost their ability to sell merchandise, what 5/6 years ago. Understand that it was probably viewed as a competition with the schools sales agreements etc. The 50/50 just goes along with the crowd, size and passion. The second half of this year, they were putting up some very strong 50/50 numbers. The addition of the student with the mic has helped across the board.
                                And finally, fans want to know who on their team is being recognized and this years presentation was an embarrassment and lacked the recognition that they deserved. For folks sitting in the first 5 rows, you can't hear the public PA guy at all. The glass just blocks it out. They could ask us to claim our million dollar prize and it would go unclaimed.

Comment

Working...
                                X