Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by New Hampshire 'Cats Fan View Post
    Question for Dan since there doesn't appear to be an active Miami University thread. I intend to go to the Miami games at the start of the season and was wondering if you had any recommendations for a pregame bar.
    I’m not sure how much help I can be - I haven’t been back in years (trying to make this series as well) and as a college town the bars are always changing names, locations and menus, etc.

Your best bet may just be to head ‘Uptown’ and see what you find. The Uptown area along High Street (and along its off-shoots) will be walkable from the Arena and is loaded with bars and restaurants. I think you’ll be surprised how many options you’ll find for a small college town - however it’s a small college town so it will all be very collegy. As Greg has noted, it can be a bit ‘Disney for college kids’ after all...

Thinking back to my time and my last couple visits - I’d probably suggest Mac & Joe’s. It’s a dive bar/hole in the wall, but can have a fun atmosphere and was your best bet for pre- and post-Miami sporting event traffic when I was there. Think Libby’s but without windows, haha...

There are plenty of other sports bar type spots - including Brick Street and a few chains (BWW, Scotty’s Brewhouse). Skippers is a casual place that can be fun if not spectacular. The only places that really stand out for being unusual relative to what you’d find on most campuses is Steinkeller, a German brewhouse with a lot of heavy German beers in full steins, Kona, a fresher, healthier and more creative type place, and Paesanos, an Italian restaurant that people seem to like (more restaurant than bar/pub like many other spots)...

You may not find much in the way of food to write home about, but there should be plenty of options to find something to hit the spot. Plenty of Libby’s type places to grab a bite and plenty of beer everywhere...

The only real recommendation I’d have would be to eat early and walk the campus on your way to the arena. The real site to see is Oxford and Miami itself. The Uptown is really well done and the campus is beautiful. The ‘most beautiful’ per Robert Frost...

After the game if you want to hit a bar, know that Uptown will be overrun with students. It’s 18+ at a lot of places so they’ll be extra crowded compared to most campuses. Again, plenty of college options - if you want something quieter or more relaxed than your best bet is probably Circle Bar (or the townie bar). It’s supposed to be a nice place, but I’ve never actually been.

And there is always $0.75 Natty Light bottles at CJ’s or Mind Probes at Brick Street, if you want to make a night of things!!

At some point you HAVE to try Bagel and Deli. It’s not a sit down place, you just order and eat on the sidewalk or walk with your bagel. The steamed bagel sandwiches are incredible. I like the Ben’s (Roethlisberger) Best or the Tonya Harding Club. Great place for a post-game/post-bar meal, but FYI it will get packed late night...

Hope that helps. Again there are a lot of ‘new’ places (for me) so there will be so much I haven’t mentioned. Maybe I’ll see you there. If not feel free to drop any further questions leading up to or during the weekend...
    Last edited by Dan; 09-08-2019, 02:34 PM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      I’m not sure how much help I can be - I haven’t been back in years (trying to make this series as well) and as a college town the bars are always changing names, locations and menus, etc.

Your best bet may just be to head ‘Uptown’ and see what you find. The Uptown area along High Street (and along its off-shoots) will be walkable from the Arena and is loaded with bars and restaurants. I think you’ll be surprised how many options you’ll find for a small college town - however it’s a small college town so it will all be very collegy. As Greg has noted, it can be a bit ‘Disney for college kids’ after all...

Thinking back to my time and my last couple visits - I’d probably suggest Mac & Joe’s. It’s a dive bar/hole in the wall, but can have a fun atmosphere and was your best bet for pre- and post-Miami sporting event traffic when I was there. Think Libby’s but without windows, haha...

There are plenty of other sports bar type spots - including Brick Street and a few chains (BWW, Scotty’s Brewhouse). Skippers is a casual place that can be fun if not spectacular. The only places that really stand out for being unusual relative to what you’d find on most campuses is Steinkeller, a German brewhouse with a lot of heavy German beers in full steins, Kona, a fresher, healthier and more creative type place, and Paesanos, an Italian restaurant that people seem to like (more restaurant than bar/pub like many other spots)...

You may not find much in the way of food to write home about, but there should be plenty of options to find something to hit the spot. Plenty of Libby’s type places to grab a bite and plenty of beer everywhere...

The only real recommendation I’d have would be to eat early and walk the campus on your way to the arena. The real site to see is Oxford and Miami itself. The Uptown is really well done and the campus is beautiful. The ‘most beautiful’ per Robert Frost...

After the game if you want to hit a bar, know that Uptown will be overrun with students. It’s 18+ at a lot of places so they’ll be extra crowded compared to most campuses. Again, plenty of college options - if you want something quieter or more relaxed than your best bet is probably Circle Bar (or the townie bar). It’s supposed to be a nice place, but I’ve never actually been.

And there is always $0.75 Natty Light bottles at CJ’s or Mind Probes at Brick Street, if you want to make a night of things!!

At some point you HAVE to try Bagel and Deli. It’s not a sit down place, you just order and eat on the sidewalk or walk with your bagel. The steamed bagel sandwiches are incredible. I like the Ben’s (Roethlisberger) Best or the Tonya Harding Club. Great place for a post-game/post-bar meal, but FYI it will get packed late night...

Hope that helps. Again there are a lot of ‘new’ places (for me) so there will be so much I haven’t mentioned. Maybe I’ll see you there. If not feel free to drop any further questions leading up to or during the weekend...
      Thanks for the helpful info, Dan! I definitely intend to be at the games as I live ~ 1.3 hrs from Oxford, but I've never been to Miami's campus. Yeah, maybe I'll see you there

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Hi everyone!!! Been lurking here enjoying the preseason banter. Hoping for an exciting year for our 'Cats!!! Hope to see a few of you regulars Oct 6!!!
        Well, stop lurking and resume posting, HR! Time is a ticking and we need another 80+ posts to close out this thread before the new season begins, for which several longtime pessimists here have high hopes. :-)

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Well, stop lurking and resume posting, HR! Time is a ticking and we need another 80+ posts to close out this thread before the new season begins, for which several longtime pessimists here have high hopes. :-)
          Not too much to post about I guess! I am curious to see the Hockey East pre season coaches poll, has it come out yet? And if not, where do most posters here think UNH is going to land, as in this poll, best case scenario? I'm thinking 6th...some optimists I spoke with regarding this think we can go as high as 5...what say you?
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 09-09-2019, 02:05 PM.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Not too much to post about I guess! I am curious to see the Hockey East pre season coaches poll, has it come out yet? And if not, where do most posters here think UNH is going to land, as in this poll, best case scenario? I'm thinking 6th...some optimists I spoke with regarding this think we can go as high as 5...what say you?
            I am going for 6th, too, but alsooooo ...... another upset first round win over PC for the long-awaited return to da Gahden! :-)

Comment

I am going for 6th, too, but alsooooo ...... another upset first round win over PC for the long-awaited return to da Gahden! :-)
              Ah yes...any time we beat PC esp. in a HE playoff works for me! Those wins are the best I have right now in my fandom to lean on..the rest of youse are spoiled
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Ah yes...any time we beat PC esp. in a HE playoff works for me! Those wins are the best I have right now in my fandom to lean on..the rest of youse are spoiled
                Ref i need to help you with your perspective on shared "Greatest memories". I have witnessed many of those that are high on everyone's list, Frozen 4s, the Maine game, Minni, Mich, and my personal favorite the North Dakota game. But I was at that PC series you started your journey of great memories with. It was an incredible series, was it 2 OT wins? We all had to stay and find sunday entertainment waiting for that 3rd game. Trust me, to take out the eventual N C holds high position in my mind. So you are in! Just not as deep but that will come.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                  Ref i need to help you with your perspective on shared "Greatest memories". I have witnessed many of those that are high on everyone's list, Frozen 4s, the Maine game, Minni, Mich, and my personal favorite the North Dakota game. But I was at that PC series you started your journey of great memories with. It was an incredible series, was it 2 OT wins? We all had to stay and find sunday entertainment waiting for that 3rd game. Trust me, to take out the eventual N C holds high position in my mind. So you are in! Just not as deep but that will come.
                  I didn't stay Sunday but of course, watched the game on tv...pacing the length of the living room the entire OT...sure it might seem like a small victory in terms of what PC went on to do (which is a great accomplishment in it self) but it was still a fun win. Also enjoyed the UNH win over PC the season before at the Gahden with Kevin G potting 2 wrap around goals against the great Jon Gilles. So, hoping to attend more games like that in the very near future. I'd settle for a trip to Boston initially..and back to the Regionals which really ignited my fandom. "Those were the days" ha! (we all know how it went the next night but, we'll take memorable wins when we can get 'em, even if they have been somewhat few and far between as of late WHICH I believe (hope?) that will be changing). Loved this team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bb3JyQlqO8
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Season begins in a mere 28 days.

Comment

Season begins in a mere 28 days.
                      I know...so very exciting! That much closer to the Ireland trip toooooo! Glad to see we are having an exhibition game this season...wonder if our start of last season prompted MS7 to have one this season? At any rate, counting down the days to puck drop!
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

'Watcher, Dan, 1932, what's our line up gonna look like?
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I just learned this evening that Hanaway Rink in the Plymouth State University Arena has ice year-round. Apparently, there are several curling teams in the area that compete on the ice throughout the hockey off-season. How many months is Lake Whitt ice-free?

Comment

I just learned this evening that Hanaway Rink in the Plymouth State University Arena has ice year-round. Apparently, there are several curling teams in the area that compete on the ice throughout the hockey off-season. How many months is Lake Whitt ice-free?
                            I'm not 100% certain on this, but I do know they host a large "home show" type event at The Whitt in early April every year, and I'm 99.9% sure that the ice, boards, etc. are all gone for the season by then.

I have no idea when the ice goes back in before the season, but I'm guessing that time is pretty close to now (or already)? So I'm fairly confident The Whitt's ice surface is absent for about 4-5 months total.
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              I'm not 100% certain on this, but I do know they host a large "home show" type event at The Whitt in early April every year, and I'm 99.9% sure that the ice, boards, etc. are all gone for the season by then.

I have no idea when the ice goes back in before the season, but I'm guessing that time is pretty close to now (or already)? So I'm fairly confident The Whitt's ice surface is absent for about 4-5 months total.
                              That sounds about right, thanks. And, which off-season was it that the rink was "dug up" to repair the chilling pipes or whatever? I recall a long discussion on a thread at the time whether that digging should include a narrowing (to 85 ft) and lowering (5 ft?) of the ice surface, but apparently a shallow depth to the Exetergranodiotite bedrock would have required a lot of dynamite blasting, which must have scuttled the lowering piece (necessary to add 2-3 rows of seats on each side).

Comment

The Mullins Arena ice is only absent for 2 weeks and that was about a month ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X