Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: LSSU Lakers 2019 off-season thread

Roll along you BG Warriors!

Re: LSSU Lakers 2019 off-season thread

FWIW, I think Damon got screwed too.

Quote Originally Posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
    FWIW, I think Damon got screwed too.
    I would have went with Whitten as well, but in defense of the voters, here are some points in Hastings' favor:
    1. He lost CJ Suess, who scored 43 points last year, was the team's top faceoff man and penalty killer, and was a 2 year captain
    2. He lost Zeb Knutson, who also scored 43 points last year, and led the team in assists
    3. He lost Daniel Brickley, an All-American defenseman who scored 35 points and ran the point on the team's potent powerplay
    4. He lost all 3 of his goalies
    5. His team this year still managed to win the conference by 12 points

Again, I think Whitten was outstanding, but it's not like there isn't a case to be made for Hastings. On the other hand, to leave out Cuglietta, Michaelis, and Loggins for the Hobey? What's wrong with the voters?

People seem to forget MSU's hockey budget blow's LSSU's out of the water and gets the cream of the crop for recruits in the WCHA

Recruiting is easy for MN. State. They seem to recruit from the USHL and the BCHL and nowhere else. That has to make following recruits simple. MN. State also had half their wins against the four bottom teams in the WCHA.

Quote Originally Posted by sm2pk View Post
    Recruiting is easy for MN. State. They seem to recruit from the USHL and the BCHL and nowhere else. That has to make following recruits simple. MN. State also had half their wins against the four bottom teams in the WCHA.
    We also went 7-0-1 in the state of Michigan. We played all the top 6 teams in the conference on the road. It wasnít a cakewalk

I'm still flabbergasted Saccoman got left off the WCHA All-League teams

Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    We also went 7-0-1 in the state of Michigan. We played all the top 6 teams in the conference on the road. It wasnít a cakewalk
    The Lakers beat up on the same bottom 4 teams, so I am not sure what his point was there.

Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    I would have went with Whitten as well, but in defense of the voters, here are some points in Hastings' favor:
    1. He lost CJ Suess, who scored 43 points last year, was the team's top faceoff man and penalty killer, and was a 2 year captain
    2. He lost Zeb Knutson, who also scored 43 points last year, and led the team in assists
    3. He lost Daniel Brickley, an All-American defenseman who scored 35 points and ran the point on the team's potent powerplay
    4. He lost all 3 of his goalies
    5. His team this year still managed to win the conference by 12 points

Again, I think Whitten was outstanding, but it's not like there isn't a case to be made for Hastings. On the other hand, to leave out Cuglietta, Michaelis, and Loggins for the Hobey? What's wrong with the voters?
    The conference awards also only looked at Conference stats. So Diego had less points than Loggins and Whittenís record wasnít as great vs Hastings. If it looked at overall stats, it may have been awarded differently.

Once again no Laker Hockey Talk this week. What the hell?

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    Once again no Laker Hockey Talk this week. What the hell?
    Damon is sick (flu or cold?). Mike York did the Laker Hockey Show on Tuesday evening with Bill Crawford in place of Damon. Bill C said there would probably be no Laker Hockey Talk this week due to Damon's illness. They normally record LHT on Wednesday and play it Thursday morning.

I donít mind Hastings over Whitten, but the WCHA should really be doing more for our conference nationally to help promote its players. Leaving Diego out of the top 10 is a travesty. A senior who turned around a program and had a hell of a year deserves that honor.

Quote Originally Posted by lakersparty View Post
    I donít mind Hastings over Whitten, but the WCHA should really be doing more for our conference nationally to help promote its players. Leaving Diego out of the top 10 is a travesty. A senior who turned around a program and had a hell of a year deserves that honor.
    Stunning how the voters ignored goals. 8 guys with 20+ goals, led by Cuglietta, and not one made the Hobey finals? Perhaps I misunderstand the game, but I was led to believe goals were pretty important.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Damon is sick (flu or cold?). Mike York did the Laker Hockey Show on Tuesday evening with Bill Crawford in place of Damon. Bill C said there would probably be no Laker Hockey Talk this week due to Damon's illness. They normally record LHT on Wednesday and play it Thursday morning.
    Thanks for letting me know. I was unaware of the situation as I wasn't able to listen to this week's Laker Hockey Show.

Veteran

Thanks for letting me know. I was unaware of the situation as I wasn't able to listen to this week's Laker Hockey Show.
    I think they are done with LHS and LHT for this season. I assume they will have (monthly) off-season LHT shows starting up in May like they have done the past couple of years. Seems like it was about the middle of May when they started up the LHT last year.

Tuesday's LHS was mainly a recap of the Minnesota State series and some discussion of incoming and returning players. Also a mention of Cuglietta signing an ATO with the Texas Stars.

Veteran

Anthony Nellis and Gage Torrel have signed with the Fort Wayne Komets. Steven Ruggiero has signed an ATO with the San Diego Gulls.

Diego Cuglietta still has the goal scoring lead heading to the NCAA tournament.

Bowling Green will make it's first NCAA tournament appearance since in 29 years. Hopefully the Lakers can end their drought soon which will be 24 years next season.

I wonder how many and who will be brought in next season .

Diego Cuglietta still has the goal scoring lead heading to the NCAA tournament.

Bowling Green will make it's first NCAA tournament appearance since in 29 years. Hopefully the Lakers can end their drought soon which will be 24 years next season.
    I decided to go back and change the game results to see how close we actually were to making it. If you take 3 games I think we probably should have won -- 11/9 vs Alaska, 1/12 vs Huntsville, and 3/2 vs Ferris -- and change those to wins, we finish #16. We would have been the first team out of the tourney. That would have been tough to take.

(Although that said we would have a better seed in the WCHA tourney and that could have had some impact.)

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by sm2pk View Post
    I wonder how many and who will be brought in next season .
    As it stands now, these are the guys who are supposed to come in next season.

Forwards: Robert Blueger (Madison - USHL), Niko Esposito-Selivanov (Cowichan Valley - BCHL), Louis Boudon (Northeast - NAHL) and Dustin Manz (Prince George - BCHL)

Defense: Arvid Henrikson (Austin - NAHL)

Goal: Seth Eisele (Lone Star - NAHL)

If any current player(s) decide to leave early, it would likely mean additional player(s) would come in.

I donít usually like to take joy in otherís misery but Iíll make an exception today. Minnesota State now knows how it feels to lose an important game because a review gives them a major penalty that leads to multiple goals being scored against them. Karma.

Thread Information