LSSU Lakers 2019 off-season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
    Well I am sure the schools are getting pretty good at planning their student athletes trips. Pretty sure they benefit from a group travel arrangement as well. You can fly from Minneapolis to Anchorage in less than 5 hours. Heck, I've flown from Anchorage to upstate NY and never had it take 19+ hours.
    One of the Lakers return trips last year was 23 hours. Obviously that was due to an airline delay issue...but it was definitely a long trip back.

Comment

• Originally posted by CKrouth View Post
      One of the Lakers return trips last year was 23 hours. Obviously that was due to an airline delay issue...but it was definitely a long trip back.
      There’s a huge difference between getting 28 people on a flight than booking 1 or 2 or 4. I know you guys usually fly out of Detroit, which means you leave the Soo at least 8 hrs prior. That makes 18 hrs from leaving the arena in the Soo to dropping the equipment in Anchorage.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2019 off-season thread

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        Suze, Ive been up to Alaska over a dozen times on hockey trips. And many times, Fairbanks has been 17+ hours from Marquette, Mi in flight and layover time. Nine hours is the shortest current Minneapolis to Fairbanks connection. Now from Marquette, add 8 hours of bus trip (including a meal stop) and needing to arrive at least 3 hours ahead to process a party of 28 plus equipment and that’s 20 hours. The quickest current Marquette to Fairbanks is 17:45 plus arriving 2:30 hrs early to check in and the ride to the airport and you have a 20+ hour travel day. Anchorage is a little better, but those days are usually 13-16 hrs. And, no, there isn’t usually a group discount with airlines on 54 seat planes out of Marquette for parties of 28. Nor from MSP. It often costs more to get a group that large all on to one flight than average Joe would pay for one seat or even a family of four. Yes, if you get the direct MSP to ANC, it’s 6 hrs. Again bus ride from Marquette to MSP plus check in time makes that about 18 hrs. Or MQT to ANC is 14+ hours travel time if you get the direct MSP-ANC or another 4-6 hrs thru SEA.
        Teams who came to Alaska used to get two extra games during the season. I know that when UND and the Gophers were in the old WCHA, this translated into a ton of extra revenue for those teams. Is this not an advantage for teams travelling to Alaska?
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
          Teams who came to Alaska used to get two extra games during the season. I know that when UND and the Gophers were in the old WCHA, this translated into a ton of extra revenue for those teams. Is this not an advantage for teams travelling to Alaska?
          Maybe, although I know Minnesota State has skipped the extra 2 games in recent years, opting for November and February bye weeks instead. There can be great value in those extra 2 games, but you have to find a willing opponent who will come to your place at the right time.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
            Maybe, although I know Minnesota State has skipped the extra 2 games in recent years, opting for November and February bye weeks instead. There can be great value in those extra 2 games, but you have to find a willing opponent who will come to your place at the right time.
            You have to find a willing opponent, at the right time, who will draw in the fans. Right now in Mankato, and Bemidji for that matter, the only two teams that would fill our barns and make it profitable are the Goofers and UND. Mankato and Bemidji may get higher than average crowds for SCSU and UMD, but not barn fillers.

Even BSU is passing on the two extra games (actually, they would have four as this year if they wanted) and taking the bye weeks.
            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
              Some of the WCHA schools have a hard time as it is to get enough home none conference games without filling out 2 or 4 more. If they can get extra home games, it would help, but that is not what usually happens.

Comment

It looks like the Lakers will play in the Catamount Cup right before New Years. They will play Providence on December 28 and then Vermont on December 29 in a Saturday/Sunday Series.
                https://www.uvmathletics.com/schedul...?schedule=1136

I believe the Lakers last played in the Catamount Cup in 2015 finishing as the runner up.
                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                  It looks like the Lakers will play in the Catamount Cup right before New Years. They will play Providence on December 28 and then Vermont on December 29 in a Saturday/Sunday Series.
                  https://www.uvmathletics.com/schedul...?schedule=1136

I believe the Lakers last played in the Catamount Cup in 2015 finishing as the runner up.
                  Always nice to play in some kind of in-season tournament involving non-conference teams. Some years the scheduling allows for it and some years it doesn't. Depending upon what happens with the Alaska budget situation, these 2 games may be a very welcome addition to the schedule, although some sort of compromise may be reached up there. If not, the Alaska schools could disappear from the landscape pretty quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    Always nice to play in some kind of in-season tournament involving non-conference teams. Some years the scheduling allows for it and some years it doesn't. Depending upon what happens with the Alaska budget situation, these 2 games may be a very welcome addition to the schedule, although some sort of compromise may be reached up there. If not, the Alaska schools could disappear from the landscape pretty quickly.
                    I would think the conference schedule will have to be completely redone should the Alaska teams fold and not play this coming season. As of now, it's looking pretty bleak.

Is there a Laker Hockey Talk show next week? It should be pretty interesting to hear Damon's view on the possible realignment and the situation with the Alaska teams.

Comment

I would think the conference schedule will have to be completely redone should the Alaska teams fold and not play this coming season. As of now, it's looking pretty bleak.

Is there a Laker Hockey Talk show next week? It should be pretty interesting to hear Damon's view on the possible realignment and the situation with the Alaska teams.
                      I'm not sure if the LHT was this morning or next Thursday. Hopefully the podcast will be up fairly quickly regardless of when it was/is. I'm normally not able to listen in on Thursday mornings. I think the 7 schools/coaches have been told by their consultant not to discuss the realignment and refer all questions to him, so I doubt Damon will say much about it on the show other than it's out there. Maybe he will address the Alaska budget situation although there's probably not much he can say at this point (until we see what happens one way or another); maybe he can address possible scheduling issues related to that if the schools fold their programs.

Comment

The July edition of the Laker Hockey Talk show will be next Thursday morning.

Comment

Anthony Nellis has signed with the Texas Stars of the AHL.
                          Last edited by Bill; 07-17-2019, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Any word if there is a blue/gold scrimmage game this coming season? My guess would be no.

Comment

Any word if there is a blue/gold scrimmage game this coming season? My guess would be no.
                              I haven't heard anything but given that we're starting the season so early, you very well may be right.

Comment

Was there anything interesting or new said on the Laker Hockey Talk yesterday? The podcast still hasn't heen posted yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X