Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Penn State Nittany Lions

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Re: 2019-20 Penn State Nittany Lions

Quote Originally Posted by whoop87 View Post
    You don't actually need to have a goalie on the bench. I found this out last year when UNH played at Yale. The #1 goalie to start the year was Ava Boutilier but she got injured in early November and ended up getting a redshirt season. The #2 goalie Kyra Smith was the starting goalie for the game against Yale. Not sure why, but the #3 goalie, AJ Pelletier, was not able to make that game. The starting Right Winger, Meghara McManus, was the backup goalie. If her services had been required in net that day, UNH would have been forced to take a delay of game penalty while she changed into her goalie gear or they could have played 'Extra Attacker' style with 6 players out and no goalie until she was ready to get in the crease. By the way, Meghara played net, as well as forward, in her younger days. She was not just winging it - she wore the pads in practice the week before the game in anticipation of being the backup.

Here's a link to the boxscore from the game in question: https://www.collegehockeystats.net/18...s/wunhyal1.j08

And here's where it's mentioned in last year's NCAA rule book under Section 2, Rule 5 - Team:

5.3 Goalkeeper - Each team shall be allowed one goalkeeper on the ice at one
    time. The goalkeeper may be removed and another player substituted.
    A substitute goalkeeper should be on the bench at the start of the game
    and shall at all times be fully dressed and equipped and ready to play. Upon
    entering the game, the substitute goalkeeper shall take his position without
    delay. A team should not start a game with less than two goalkeepers.
    If a team must start a game with less than two goalkeepers and the starting
    goalkeeper is unable to continue (e.g., injury, penalty, etc.), a delay of game
    penalty may be assessed if time is needed to have another skater change into
    the equipment of the goalkeeper. Additionally, teams have the option of
    playing with six skaters to avoid a penalty.
    Except when all goalkeepers are incapacitated, another player shall not be
    permitted to wear the equipment of the goalkeeper.
    Fewer than two dressed goaltenders used to be a minor to start the game; with the way that it is stated, I can't tell if it still is. I.e., what does "should not" mean? You shouldn't start with only one goalie because you might get a penalty later, or you shouldn't start with only one because you'll get a penalty now and might get another one later?

Here are a couple of times when a penalty was enforced, although the same officials called it something different on the two days:
    https://www.collegehockeystats.net/00...s/wminmnd1.n10
    https://www.collegehockeystats.net/0...s/wminmnd1.n11

I remember a few times over the years where a skater was dressed in goalie gear to avoid this penalty, but I don't recall it in the last decade.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Fewer than two dressed goaltenders used to be a minor to start the game; with the way that it is stated, I can't tell if it still is. I.e., what does "should not" mean? You shouldn't start with only one goalie because you might get a penalty later, or you shouldn't start with only one because you'll get a penalty now and might get another one later?

Here are a couple of times when a penalty was enforced, although the same officials called it something different on the two days:
    https://www.collegehockeystats.net/00...s/wminmnd1.n10
    https://www.collegehockeystats.net/0...s/wminmnd1.n11

I remember a few times over the years where a skater was dressed in goalie gear to avoid this penalty, but I don't recall it in the last decade.

So I am thinking the following: either the emergency goalie was inadvertently left off of Friday's card. Penn State did not get the waiver in time from the NCAA for Friday's game. The student could not miss class on Thursday and Friday and therefore had to miss Friday's game. Or lastly Leonard's injury is significant and is going to redshirt. Penn State is scant with some details.

Thanks to Oggie for some on the spot reporting. The Bothun fan just happened to come and watch Penn State and felt comfortable enough to approach the Penn State players. Interesting. Brenneman could easily play a fifth year and work on her Master' s.

No use going over the 7-0 loss as that is even to much woulda coulda shoulda for me.

In game two, the first goal was on a player's first shift, that's the player that sat out game one and Fidler suited up. Fidler sat the second game. I was only listening to game two so I am not really sure of playing time distribution.

No goals in the second period.

In period three, I did find those two goals on Wisconsin twitter and you have the soft goal which was a flat shot on the ice in the nearside post ( announcer said that is easily coachable and correctable) and on the third goal,two players were on Watt and they both left her leaving her all alone in front of the net.

Now on Wisconsin, there maybe to many players to mark but one would think that Watt would get extra attention and obviously leaving Watt is a no no. Don't know which of the two players had primary responsibility on Watt. But, with video that is correctable.

Point is Penn State can build off of game two and maybe as Zed says getting 40 saves against Wisconsin will do a whole lot for Burke's confidence.
    Last edited by Reddington; 10-08-2019 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oggie View Post
    They play their system very well but they lack the speed and skill of the Badgers and Gophers.
    I can't speak to the time frame of when Penn State can better compete with their B1G counterparts but the statement of the speed and skill is spot on and was very evident in watching the steam of the games this past weekend. Especially Friday.
    "The decline of western civilization can be traced directly to bands no longer having horn sections. I'm pretty sure that's science."

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    I can't speak to the time frame of when Penn State can better compete with their B1G counterparts but the statement of the speed and skill is spot on and was very evident in watching the steam of the games this past weekend. Especially Friday.
    BTW, the Coach says they don't have a system.
    And...Penn State has a history dating back to last year of playing significantly better in game two of two game series.

It was a donation going out to Wisconsin, but you can see how Colgate knocked off Wisconsin two years ago as in a perfect world, the coach plays Fidler in game two and Brenneman is not hurt and Penn State was in the mix to steal that game. That's a whole lotta if. LOL.

so....hard to believe but i saw it once at a ECAC game. i think it was Harvard/Yale game. for yale, One goalie got hurt, one goalie was away for an award....#9 Kate Tewksbury dressed as a goalie, but never touched the ice. I found the whole thing amusing but would not have noticed unless a parent from the Yale team pointed it out to me.

I quit trying to get a read on upcoming opponents that are out of conference, so this weekend is no different. Penn State takes on RPI in their home opening series at Pegula, Friday at 2:00 and Saturday at 1:00 (Eastern). All I know about RPI is that their fans are expecting a down season from them, and goalie Lovisa Selander graduated, so if Penn State can read RPI's red away jerseys and see "Wisconsin" instead, and play them that hard, it should be a good weekend.

Question marks for Penn State: junior goalie Chantal Burke and sophomore forward Loli Fidler. Burke was flustered in game one at Wisconsin, but looked a lot better in game two, both games being her first career starts. Against RPI, she gets a chance to settle in a little more, get used to being the starter, and spend a series on the ice without getting machine-gunned the whole time. Fidler is apparently at the "almost ready" point to rejoin the team on the ice after an undisclosed injury. I hope Penn State doesn't rush her back to the grind before she's 100%, and there really isn't any need to force her back for this weekend's series with RPI, so we'll see.

I watched a little of the Friday RPI/Mankato game to see what's coming, and didn't really take much from it. To me, RPI looked a bit unready for handling an opponent's aggressive forecheck, and they seemed to get muscled off the puck along the boards. I didn't watch the whole game, so I could be off, but that's what I took from it.

I really hope Jeff Kampersal leaves the Natalie Heising/Shea Nelson/Brooke Madsen line intact for this weekend (and this season). They looked good together at Wisconsin, and could get really good if they're allowed to stay together and get some chemistry going. If Loli Fidler is healthy and ready to go this weekend, these are the lines I'd like to see:

Natalie Heising/Shea Nelson/Brooke Madsen
    Katie Rankin/Loli Fidler/Rachel Weiss
    Abby Welch/Katie McMillan/Sophie Slattery (or Anna Promersberger...or...or)

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    I watched a little of the Friday RPI/Mankato game to see what's coming, and didn't really take much from it. To me, RPI looked a bit unready for handling an opponent's aggressive forecheck, and they seemed to get muscled off the puck along the boards. I didn't watch the whole game, so I could be off, but that's what I took from it.
    Like you, I saw a little of RPI vs MSU, and about the same of RPI vs Merrimack. IMO, the Engineers showed signs of improvement in the second series. They were still the second-best team on the ice, but were less inclined to get stuck watching the other team skate around with the puck. Even though the Nittany Lions aren't the most explosive team around, I think that you'll have opportunity to find out if RPI's goaltending is any good by the end of the weekend. Enjoy!

Like you, I saw a little of RPI vs MSU, and about the same of RPI vs Merrimack. IMO, the Engineers showed signs of improvement in the second series. They were still the second-best team on the ice, but were less inclined to get stuck watching the other team skate around with the puck. Even though the Nittany Lions aren't the most explosive team around, I think that you'll have opportunity to find out if RPI's goaltending is any good by the end of the weekend. Enjoy!

Can Penn State have a must win already? My prediction is a rolling of lines which is what he had success with last year in certain series with suspensions or coming off of breaks.
    In his media day he alluded to this.

As far as lines, he does switch all the time except for the sweede who needs to be moved to in front of the net on the pp. That move just jumps out at me like Eastwood of Syracuse.

Here are links for the live video streams of this weekend's series at home against RPI, if you have a BTN+ subscription:

Friday (2:00 Eastern): https://www.btnplus.com/game/rpi-at-penn-st-on-10112019

Saturday (1:00 Eastern): https://www.btnplus.com/game/rpi-at-penn-st-on-10122019

I've got nothing to do with BTN+, but for a one-month subscription at $14.95, you'll get both Penn State home games this weekend and both Penn State home games against Boston University on October 25 and 26. Just the four Penn State games alone would cost you $20 at the door, so this is a good deal. I see women's hockey coverage of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio State, and St. Cloud on this month's schedule, too. Then there are any other sports they cover. All in all, probably the best video subscription deal I've seen:

https://www.btnplus.com/packages?type=0

I've got nothing to do with BTN+ ... All in all, probably the best video subscription deal I've seen:
    I had ESPN+ last year for a few months and got to watch quite a lot of women's hockey coverage for $5 a month. Most of those had decent production as well. It would be nice if there was some universal subscription a fan could purchase such that I didn't need a different package every weekend, and then have to worry about when to cancel each as the season winds down.

For all of the services like BTN and ESPN, I think that they should discount their price for those who are already supporting them by subscribing to their sports channels. Otherwise, it is like attending an all-you-can-eat buffet, but if you want any protein, you'll have to purchase that separately, because that's our "All You Can Eat Meat-Lovers' Buffet."

I had ESPN+ last year for a few months and got to watch quite a lot of women's hockey coverage for $5 a month. Most of those had decent production as well. It would be nice if there was some universal subscription a fan could purchase such that I didn't need a different package every weekend, and then have to worry about when to cancel each as the season winds down.

For all of the services like BTN and ESPN, I think that they should discount their price for those who are already supporting them by subscribing to their sports channels. Otherwise, it is like attending an all-you-can-eat buffet, but if you want any protein, you'll have to purchase that separately, because that's our "All You Can Eat Meat-Lovers' Buffet."
    All of the ECAC Men's and Women's home games are on ESPN+ for $4.99 a month. Great deal for the ECAC Fans.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    And of 2 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray and Loren Gabel
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    All of the ECAC Men's and Women's home games are on ESPN+ for $4.99 a month. Great deal for the ECAC Fans.
    Good lord, I'd never leave my chair - well, except to hit the kitchen and restock, I mean, and the occasional pit stop. That's an incredible deal, and I hope it catches on everywhere else, too.

It would be nice if there was some universal subscription a fan could purchase such that I didn't need a different package every weekend, and then have to worry about when to cancel each as the season winds down.
    No kidding...and with that universal subscription would come game announcers and camera operators who have worked a hockey game before. I wonder how hard it would be for someone to put something like that together.

The Penn State/RPI series preview: https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/10...f-2019-20.aspx

Well, today wasn't the slaughter I was expecting out of Penn State against RPI, but they took the 2-0 win. Kind of hard to lose against a team that only puts nine shots on goal. Penn State just looked like they weren't really trying to put anything together - just kind of getting the puck down the ice and seeing what might happen. It was great to see Loli Fidler back in the lineup - there's a game highlight. Natalie Heising had a beautiful goal on a steal and made it look easy. Senior forward Amanda McLeod got her first goal of the season (and fourth of her career) on a quick shot off a rebound. Other than that, I hate to say it but it was pretty lackluster, really. Hopefully Penn State comes out tomorrow wanting to put on a show.

Here's the Penn State game recap: https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/10...utout-win.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by oggie View Post
    I was in Madison to watch the football game. I decided to take in the hockey game as kind of a spur of the moment idea.
    Talked to The Penn State players after the game. Really nice girls.
    Brenneman is done for the season she tore her ACL will be having surgery as soon as the swelling subsides then 7-9 month rehab.
    Leonard has been injured is cleared to dress but not to play or practice. The club goalie has been with them since the start of the season. I didn't ask if she dressed for Holy Cross.
    Fidler has also been hurt though she has been skating should be back soon.
    Observations from Saturday
    Penn State is at least two to three years away from competing with Wisconsin and Minn maybe longer. They play their system very well but they lack the speed and skill of the Badgers and Gophers.
    That being said, two Freshman really stood out to me Weiss and Uheilen I think both played on their u-18 national teams.
    Their first line can compete with any squad, but against teams with depth it is to easy to shut them down.
    They have a couple of upper class players that must be hold overs from the previous coach. I am sure they are great kids but don't have the speed and skill to play at this level. One plays D the other is a forward and they were both -3 on Saturday night.
    On D Adolphsson and Uhelien are legit and the team as a whole blocks shots really well. They just didn't have the team speed to transition fast enough to capitalize on those blocked shots.
    The other 2 sets of D were mediocre at best. They struggled at times moving the pucks and on one goal gave up a 3-0 down low.
    It was hard to get a read on the goalie at times she looked very good but the rebound control struggled I am sure that will get cleaned up with more playing time.
    Anyway that is what I saw.
    Interesting re: Brenneman as I understood that the team did not yet know if she was out for the year and needed surgery. I've been being careful with how I talk about her injury, but I guess the news is out.
    It's a great day for hockey!

Not really a highlight video, but more of just "sights and sounds" from the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIVIn6JbPsA

Not really a highlight video, but more of just "sights and sounds" from the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIVIn6JbPsA
    Boy you were up late last night posting. I hope Penn State's
    Baffling start to the season is not the reason.

I'll take any video and I see you have been working on your editing skills.

Can Penn State be missing Meike Meillur?-. I think so. Not much stat wise but she was a disruptor.

The announcer during the Wisconsin game said Brenneman was out for the year, but Penn State has not made an official announcement. As a point of reference, Morgan Rolph's injury last year never had an official statement either.

Kampresal is a Bellicheck fan. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    Boy you were up late last night posting. I hope Penn State's
    Baffling start to the season is not the reason.

I'll take any video and I see you have been working on your editing skills.

Can Penn State be missing Meike Meillur?-. I think so. Not much stat wise but she was a disruptor.

The announcer during the Wisconsin game said Brenneman was out for the year, but Penn State has not made an official announcement. As a point of reference, Morgan Rolph's injury last year never had an official statement either.

Kampresal is a Bellicheck fan. Lol.
    My late night was probably due to trying to figure out my camera set up. Some day before the season ends I'll get it right.

Jenna Brenneman came out to the bench during warmups in street clothes wearing a massive brace on her leg and gimping pretty hard - it didn't look good, so I believe the "out for the season" story. If it ends her career, she has two national championship rings, anyway.

Here's a good article I didn't see earlier: https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/10...m-forward.aspx

Penn State finished the sweep of RPI with its second shutout of the weekend, this time by a score of 3-0. Penn State led the shots on goal 53-15 and went 2-for-6 on the power play, and killed off both RPI power plays, including a 5-on-3. Sophomore defender Izzy Heminger had two goals, and senior forward Katie McMillan had a goal. RPI's Claudia Black got a five-minute major and a game misconduct, which led to one of the Penn State power play goals (the whole weekend was pretty chippy). Unlike yesterday, Penn State came out of the gate on fire and didn't stop. This was a very fun game to watch, and hopefully Penn State makes this kind of 60-minute energy a regular thing.

On to Providence next weekend.

Here is some game video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNiPd9_WD_o

And here is the Penn State game recap: https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/10...utout-win.aspx

Penn State finished the sweep of RPI with its second shutout of the weekend, this time by a score of 3-0. Penn State led the shots on goal 53-15 and went 2-for-6 on the power play, and killed off both RPI power plays, including a 5-on-3. Sophomore defender Izzy Heminger had two goals, and senior forward Katie McMillan had a goal. RPI's Claudia Black got a five-minute major and a game misconduct, which led to one of the Penn State power play goals (the whole weekend was pretty chippy). Unlike yesterday, Penn State came out of the gate on fire and didn't stop. This was a very fun game to watch, and hopefully Penn State makes this kind of 60-minute energy a regular thing.

On to Providence next weekend.

Here is some game video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNiPd9_WD_o

And here is the Penn State game recap: https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/10...utout-win.aspx
    Needed two wins and got them. Just noticed McMillan does not have an A. Six A's and she does not have one, but she was one of two to speak on media day?? That's a head scratcher for sure.

Thread Information