Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Penn State Nittany Lions

Re: 2019-20 Penn State Nittany Lions

Still 1-0 Wisconsin after two periods. Wisconsin now leads the shots on goal by 30-19, but Chantal Burke was phenomenal in net for Penn State. Wisconsin isn't having as easy a time as they did last night, for sure. I can't really tell what adjustments Jeff Kampersal has been making, but Penn State looks better tonight. They did a better job that period of getting the puck out of their defensive zone and not playing so reactively, instead getting after pucks and battling for them. Maybe the mystery third goalie will get some time in net for Penn State, too

Wisconsin got two very quick third period goals to finish the sweep by a score of 3-0. The weekend results were expected, but Penn State looked like a much different team tonight than they did last night. Chantal Burke had 40 saves on the night and also looked much improved over last night, and I love that she got her career started against a program like Wisconsin. She won't see anything like that for the rest of the season.

Last night's game wasn't easy to watch, but seeing Penn State make the adjustments overnight for tonight's game was a good sign. They pressed a lot more, battled for pucks a lot more, and just did a better job of things tonight. I'm really happy for this series this early in the season - it's going to do them a lot of good to have played two games at this pace.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Wisconsin got two very quick third period goals to finish the sweep by a score of 3-0. The weekend results were expected, but Penn State looked like a much different team tonight than they did last night. Chantal Burke had 40 saves on the night and also looked much improved over last night, and I love that she got her career started against a program like Wisconsin. She won't see anything like that for the rest of the season.

Last night's game wasn't easy to watch, but seeing Penn State make the adjustments overnight for tonight's game was a good sign. They pressed a lot more, battled for pucks a lot more, and just did a better job of things tonight. I'm really happy for this series this early in the season - it's going to do them a lot of good to have played two games at this pace.
    Very impressed with how much better PSU played Saturday and how much better Burke played as well. The ref's helped your cause Saturday, but that doesn't remove the fact that they played a lot better. Run the table the rest of the year now. Best wishes.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Very impressed with how much better PSU played Saturday and how much better Burke played as well. The ref's helped your cause Saturday, but that doesn't remove the fact that they played a lot better. Run the table the rest of the year now. Best wishes.
    Emergency goalie call up. That's interesting. That could mean a couple of things regarding Leonard.

If Brenneman is out for the year, she would keep a year of eligibility as she played under 5 games.

If she is out for the year, I am surprised she made the trip.

Fidler played a lot last year so there must be something more than a healthy scratch there.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    Emergency goalie call up. That's interesting. That could mean a couple of things regarding Leonard. If Brenneman is out for the year, she would keep a year of eligibility as she played under 5 games. If she is out for the year, I am surprised she made the trip.
    I think there's an NCAA rule that you have to dress three goalies for a game - I swear I've heard that before. I think that's why this extra goalie was rushed to Madison.

If Brenneman did come back next year because of her eligibility, imagine how Burke would feel, having to sit out her senior year because of it. I can see how Brenneman must be really frustrated after sitting behind Shea Tiley for two years at Clarkson and then losing a third year at Penn State due to injury, but I really wonder how much draw there would be after graduating to come back just to play hockey for a season.

Fidler played a lot last year so there must be something more than a healthy scratch there.
    I agree. She got some very limited time late in Friday's game at Wisconsin, and then wasn't even listed Saturday, so Friday must have been a sort of "take a shift and see how you feel" thing. I hope they don't rush her back onto the ice before she's 100%, and risk losing her for the year.

Two goalies.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    Emergency goalie call up. That's interesting. That could mean a couple of things regarding Leonard.
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Two goalies.
    Okay, if it's an NCAA two-goalie rule, then you're right, Reddington - it kind of makes you wonder about Cam Leonard then. What doesn't make sense, though, is that all I can find online about this third goalie (didn't look extra hard, though) is that at some point she was on the Penn State women's club hockey team, but isn't on it this year, so how D-1 can she be? If Penn State is so down on Leonard that they're going with a former club team goalie for a backup to Chantal Burke, they're in trouble if Burke ever gets hurt. There's got to be something less dramatic about rushing her out to Madison to sit on the bench for a game - I don't understand that.

Does anyone have any ideas for why Penn State did that?

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Does anyone have any ideas for why Penn State did that?
    I have zero knowledge about the situation, but my GUESS would be that Leonard wasn't 100% healthy (injury/illness) and they didn't want to use her. Having a third goalie gives options, in particular in a game that has already been decided.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    I have zero knowledge about the situation, but my GUESS would be that Leonard wasn't 100% healthy (injury/illness) and they didn't want to use her. Having a third goalie gives options, in particular in a game that has already been decided.
    In Nov 2016, Wisconsin added a 4th goalie to the roster, a 'club' player named Nali Mullan, after Ann-Renee Desbiens sustained a concussion and had to miss a couple weekends of games (Desbiens also hurt her knee and missed a couple more games later in the season). IIRC, it was as much as anything else to have an additional 'body' available for practice.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    IIRC, it was as much as anything else to have an additional 'body' available for practice.
    The Gophers have done that in the past as well. My understanding of Zed's question was why PSU would need this new goalie dressed in Madison on short notice. That would seem to be a different requirement than a practice goalie.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

The Gophers have done that in the past as well. My understanding of Zed's question was why PSU would need this new goalie dressed in Madison on short notice. That would seem to be a different requirement than a practice goalie.
    Who wouldn't want to spend a weekend in Madison? Saturday, it started raining around noon and didn't stop until well into the evening. Sunday AM was nice, if a bit on the chilly side...

I was in Madison to watch the football game. I decided to take in the hockey game as kind of a spur of the moment idea.
    Talked to The Penn State players after the game. Really nice girls.
    Brenneman is done for the season she tore her ACL will be having surgery as soon as the swelling subsides then 7-9 month rehab.
    Leonard has been injured is cleared to dress but not to play or practice. The club goalie has been with them since the start of the season. I didn't ask if she dressed for Holy Cross.
    Fidler has also been hurt though she has been skating should be back soon.
    Observations from Saturday
    Penn State is at least two to three years away from competing with Wisconsin and Minn maybe longer. They play their system very well but they lack the speed and skill of the Badgers and Gophers.
    That being said, two Freshman really stood out to me Weiss and Uheilen I think both played on their u-18 national teams.
    Their first line can compete with any squad, but against teams with depth it is to easy to shut them down.
    They have a couple of upper class players that must be hold overs from the previous coach. I am sure they are great kids but don't have the speed and skill to play at this level. One plays D the other is a forward and they were both -3 on Saturday night.
    On D Adolphsson and Uhelien are legit and the team as a whole blocks shots really well. They just didn't have the team speed to transition fast enough to capitalize on those blocked shots.
    The other 2 sets of D were mediocre at best. They struggled at times moving the pucks and on one goal gave up a 3-0 down low.
    It was hard to get a read on the goalie at times she looked very good but the rebound control struggled I am sure that will get cleaned up with more playing time.
    Anyway that is what I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by oggie View Post
    I was in Madison to watch the football game. I decided to take in the hockey game as kind of a spur of the moment idea.
    Talked to The Penn State players after the game. Really nice girls.
    Brenneman is done for the season she tore her ACL will be having surgery as soon as the swelling subsides then 7-9 month rehab.
    Leonard has been injured is cleared to dress but not to play or practice. The club goalie has been with them since the start of the season. I didn't ask if she dressed for Holy Cross.
    Fidler has also been hurt though she has been skating should be back soon.
    Observations from Saturday
    Penn State is at least two to three years away from competing with Wisconsin and Minn maybe longer. They play their system very well but they lack the speed and skill of the Badgers and Gophers.
    That being said, two Freshman really stood out to me Weiss and Uheilen I think both played on their u-18 national teams.
    Their first line can compete with any squad, but against teams with depth it is to easy to shut them down.
    They have a couple of upper class players that must be hold overs from the previous coach. I am sure they are great kids but don't have the speed and skill to play at this level. One plays D the other is a forward and they were both -3 on Saturday night.
    On D Adolphsson and Uhelien are legit and the team as a whole blocks shots really well. They just didn't have the team speed to transition fast enough to capitalize on those blocked shots.
    The other 2 sets of D were mediocre at best. They struggled at times moving the pucks and on one goal gave up a 3-0 down low.
    It was hard to get a read on the goalie at times she looked very good but the rebound control struggled I am sure that will get cleaned up with more playing time.
    Anyway that is what I saw.
    +- for weekend for D

Adollfson -4
    Uihleen -4
    Gangarosa -2
    Heminger-2
    Rolph -2
    Rydland -2
    Dobson -1

As far as goalie Burke - announcer thought she did great except goal 2 in game 2.

That was my question - why a third goalie was added on such short notice, and it does make sense if Leonard was too hurt to be a reliable backup to Burke.

Quote Originally Posted by oggie View Post
    Absolutely agreed, and for this reason and more:

...the team as a whole blocks shots really well. They just didn't have the team speed to transition fast enough to capitalize on those blocked shots.
    Exactly, and I think a focus of Jeff Kampersal this year is that transition game. He said he wants more of an offensive push than in his previous two years, where he focused on tightening up the defense. As much of a work in progress as the program is, they play such a different (improved) defensive game under Kampersal and it's refreshing to see.

That being said, two Freshman really stood out to me, Weiss and Uhlein. I think both played on their U-18 national teams.
    Rachel Weiss is going to be one to watch. She is a very fast skater and strong along the boards, and gets right into the thick of things. She doesn't play like a freshman. Mallory Uhlein was mentioned quite a few times for her smart defensive plays, and she has a surprisingly strong pass coming out of the defensive zone, fast enough that it looked like her teammate wasn't ready for something like that. I already like how both of them have started their D-1 careers.

Their first line...
    Gotta stop you there, because the top line is still getting shuffled around. It's always Natalie Heising, but she's paired with someone new all the time. This weekend in Madison looked good with Heising, Shea Nelson, and Brooke Madsen together, and it would be nice if at least that line could settle in and get the chemistry down. I talk Loli Fidler up a lot, but she really is one of the players needed in this offense, and lines won't get settled until she's back on the ice. Kampersal had Katie Rankin centering the fourth line, for some reason, and she's another important player in this offense, so that was confusing to see.

They have a couple of upper class players that must be hold overs from the previous coach. I am sure they are great kids, but don't have the speed and skill to play at this level.
    This year's senior class is the last class that has seen any other Penn State women's hockey coach besides Jeff Kampersal.

I'm actually glad Chantal Burke got her career started against a powerhouse like Wisconsin. I think that's so much better than playing cupcakes and easing into it. She's faced that now, and won't see anything like it again the rest of the season. You're right about her rebound control, and she also seems to leave a gap between her shoulder and the goalpost that gets exploited, but as you said things will get cleaned up as she goes.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Two goalies.
    You don't actually need to have a goalie on the bench. I found this out last year when UNH played at Yale. The #1 goalie to start the year was Ava Boutilier but she got injured in early November and ended up getting a redshirt season. The #2 goalie Kyra Smith was the starting goalie for the game against Yale. Not sure why, but the #3 goalie, AJ Pelletier, was not able to make that game. The starting Right Winger, Meghara McManus, was the backup goalie. If her services had been required in net that day, UNH would have been forced to take a delay of game penalty while she changed into her goalie gear or they could have played 'Extra Attacker' style with 6 players out and no goalie until she was ready to get in the crease. By the way, Meghara played net, as well as forward, in her younger days. She was not just winging it - she wore the pads in practice the week before the game in anticipation of being the backup.

Here's a link to the boxscore from the game in question: https://www.collegehockeystats.net/18...s/wunhyal1.j08

And here's where it's mentioned in last year's NCAA rule book under Section 2, Rule 5 - Team:

5.3 Goalkeeper - Each team shall be allowed one goalkeeper on the ice at one
    time. The goalkeeper may be removed and another player substituted.
    A substitute goalkeeper should be on the bench at the start of the game
    and shall at all times be fully dressed and equipped and ready to play. Upon
    entering the game, the substitute goalkeeper shall take his position without
    delay. A team should not start a game with less than two goalkeepers.
    If a team must start a game with less than two goalkeepers and the starting
    goalkeeper is unable to continue (e.g., injury, penalty, etc.), a delay of game
    penalty may be assessed if time is needed to have another skater change into
    the equipment of the goalkeeper. Additionally, teams have the option of
    playing with six skaters to avoid a penalty.
    Except when all goalkeepers are incapacitated, another player shall not be
    permitted to wear the equipment of the goalkeeper.
    Last edited by whoop87; 10-07-2019 at 11:32 PM. Reason: hmm ... won't let me add link as http instead of https ... so link is not correct
    THINK PINK
    BLEED BLUE

Quote Originally Posted by whoop87 View Post
    And here's where it's mentioned in last year's NCAA rule book under Section 2, Rule 5 - Team:

(I sincerely hope I am not the only graduate of Wisconsin, or Minnesota, or Penn State, or BC, or New Hampshire, or Yale, or... who was saying "...fewer than two..." to themself as they were reading that rule!)
    Last edited by robertearle; 10-07-2019 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whoop87 View Post
    You don't actually need to have a goalie on the bench. I found this out last year when UNH played at Yale. The #1 goalie to start the year was Ava Boutilier but she got injured in early November and ended up getting a redshirt season. The #2 goalie Kyra Smith was the starting goalie for the game against Yale. Not sure why, but the #3 goalie, AJ Pelletier, was not able to make that game. The starting Right Winger, Meghara McManus, was the backup goalie. If her services had been required in net that day, UNH would have been forced to take a delay of game penalty while she changed into her goalie gear or they could have played 'Extra Attacker' style with 6 players out and no goalie until she was ready to get in the crease. By the way, Meghara played net, as well as forward, in her younger days. She was not just winging it - she wore the pads in practice the week before the game in anticipation of being the backup.

Here's a link to the boxscore from the game in question: https://www.collegehockeystats.net/18...s/wunhyal1.j08

My guess is that Yale was confident they could argue that the rule doesn't specify when she must take her position, and give them time to get the goalie in her gear. They may not be all that athletic, unless of course it is time to chase an ambulance.

Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    (I sincerely hope I am not the only graduate of Wisconsin, or Minnesota, or Penn State, or BC, or New Hampshire, or Yale, or... who was saying "...fewer than two..." to themself as they were reading that rule!)
    rule obviously written by someone who was a math major

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post

rule obviously written by someone who was a math major
    I was a double major, math and computer science.

Thread Information