Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Penn State Nittany Lions

Re: 2019-20 Penn State Nittany Lions

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    So far from other schedules released Hurst has Union, Colgate, St Cloud and an ice breaker vs UConn/UMD/Colgate. I wouldn’t be surprised if they play Cornell again. They seem to play each other frequently. It would be fun to see the team venture out to play another Ivy League team or Hockey East team. I know it’s about hockey but I also think getting to play in a ton of different rinks and (very briefly) see the campuses and towns is a lot of fun too.
    Mike Sisti always has Mercyhurst ready, so I suppose they'll be the usual pain this season . That UConn/UMD/Colgate/Mercyhurst weekend should be a fun one to watch. I like seeing new teams on the schedule, too, as long as they're challenging. I know teams go through cycles of success, depending on the players they have to work with in any season, so sometimes it's a crap shoot. I do like the Mercyhurst/Penn State games...it's always a great series and also a great measuring stick for where Penn State is at.

On a side note, Mikayla Lantto is still coming to Penn State after all - I don't know why she isn't on the 2019-20 roster yet, but she's still coming, so the freshman class is intact and won't be down a forward, as the current roster implies.

Penn State has released ticket information for the preseason Pittsburgh Penguins/Buffalo Sabres game at Pegula Ice Arena on September 16.

In a nutshell, Penn State men's hockey season ticket holders and Nittany Lion Club members get the first shot at tickets before the general public. Tickets run anywhere from $22 for standing room only to $85 for loge seating, and they're going to charge for parking, with those fees announced later.

https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/7/...n-contest.aspx

Led by Kelsey Crow with a 4.0 GPA (Biology and Psychology), four women's hockey players were named Big Ten Distinguished Scholars for the 2018-19 academic year. Joining Crow are Brooke Madsen (Accounting), Amanda McLeod (Criminology), and Cam Leonard (Biology).

https://twitter.com/PennStateWHKY/st...39860963598338

I'm guessing most bigger D-1 schools do these hockey camps over the summer, but I've never heard anyone say anything about them. Has anyone sent a daughter there, or know someone who has, and has an opinion of the camp?

https://gopsusports.com/documents/20...Elite_2019.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    I'm guessing most bigger D-1 schools do these hockey camps over the summer, but I've never heard anyone say anything about them. Has anyone sent a daughter there, or know someone who has, and has an opinion of the camp?

Many schools do them. Good chance to see recruits and potential recruits and get a skate in before Beantown. Can’t speak to this particular other than they need a better spellchecker - “frist” day 🤔

2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar

This is interesting as since at least 2012-13 Penn State has reported no sports camps revenue or expenditures for any sport, yet their camps page shows they have camps for 27 sports. Either the camps just started this year, are not officially run by Penn State, or Penn State does not break out the camp costs. That said, the camps page also states "In accordance with NCAA guidelines, all Penn State University Sport Camps and Clinics are open to any and all entrants, limited only by specified number, age, grade level and/or gender of its participants." So despite calling it an elite camp it would seem that if you are willing to pay you can send your daughter.

As for schools that have girls camps, the NCAA financial reports show six public schools reporting revenue and expenses for camps: Connecticut, Maine, Minnesota-Duluth, New Hampshire, Ohio State and Wisconsin. I also know that BU, Harvard and Brown have camps as well. BU's camp is not run by the school, but by Head Coach Brian Durocher through a corporation setup for it: Red & Brown Hockey Camp Corp.

My daughter attended the BU camp for many summers and the schedule for the Penn State camp looks similar to BU's, although when she attended BU's camp didn't have an evening game/skate each night, but several social activities. With only 3 full days and 2 partial days I always felt it really isn't long enough to be of any real benefit, although I thought the off ice activities helped give her an idea of what the collage players routine is like. BU also hired collage players that remained in Boston over the summer to help with the camp (most were BU players, but some were from other schools, including NU), so the campers got to learn and interact with them.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

U of MN has a big one that most of the recruits and hopeful recruits attend in MN every summer. I also am aware of Princeton's and Colgate's camp.

On the D3 side of things Middlebury has one that is significant as many NESCACs are represented there and supposedly that is where many of those schools finalize their lists of preferred student/athletes for their school. It is basically a mandatory camp to attend if you hope to have a chance to attend and play at Middlebury.

Maybe we start another thread for this topic as it was a mystery to me until my kid was well into the process?!? It is a generally difficult one for most...was a tough for my kid and she was/is relatively elite.

Quote Originally Posted by used2lurk View Post
    U of MN has a big one that most of the recruits and hopeful recruits attend in MN every summer. I also am aware of Princeton's and Colgate's camp.

On the D3 side of things Middlebury has one that is significant as many NESCACs are represented there and supposedly that is where many of those schools finalize their lists of preferred student/athletes for their school. It is basically a mandatory camp to attend if you hope to have a chance to attend and play at Middlebury.

Maybe we start another thread for this topic as it was a mystery to me until my kid was well into the process?!? It is a generally difficult one for most...was a tough for my kid and she was/is relatively elite.
    Yes, you are correct, you will not get better at a college camp because of the minimal ice time. However, colleges like to kick the tires on potential recruits. I can say I have seen a girl go from being their number one recruit, to not being compatible with the older players working the camp and having that school lose interest and in the opposite direction, I have seen a girl offered a full ride directly after the camp before they even got to leave the parking lot.

The negative people will say it is a money grab but, it always is for 97 percent of the players. If you have a coach in the loop, generally that coach will tell you if it is a good idea to attend. If you are doing it on your own without any insight, it is probably just a donation.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    Yes, you are correct, you will not get better at a college camp because of the minimal ice time. However, colleges like to kick the tires on potential recruits. I can say I have seen a girl go from being their number one recruit, to not being compatible with the older players working the camp and having that school lose interest and in the opposite direction, I have seen a girl offered a full ride directly after the camp before they even got to leave the parking lot.

The negative people will say it is a money grab but, it always is for 97 percent of the players. If you have a coach in the loop, generally that coach will tell you if it is a good idea to attend. If you are doing it on your own without any insight, it is probably just a donation.
    Generally they are part of Coaching staff overall compensation packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiveholio View Post
    Generally they are part of Coaching staff overall compensation packages.
    I believe they are also a way to put some dollars into an existing player’s pocket since they get paid for ‘coaching’ at these camps.

Penn State junior goalie Chantal Burke tuning up with some unique hand/eye coordination skills:

https://twitter.com/dgmp65/status/1152741512024748032

[QUOTE=ZedLeppelin;6825035]Penn State junior goalie Chantal Burke tuning up with some unique hand/eye coordination skills:

https://twitter.com/dgmp65/status/1152741512024748032[/QUOTE
    The talent is there.

Penn State junior forward Natalie Heising has been invited to the USA Hockey Women's National Festival in Lake Placid, N.Y. August 5-13, her second consecutive and third overall trip to the select camp:

https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/7/...-festival.aspx

And in academic news, five Penn State women's hockey players were named AHCA All-American Scholars:

https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/7/...-scholars.aspx
    Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 07-30-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Abby Welch, Sophie Slattery, Katie Rankin, Chantal Burke, and Shea Nelson participated in the Penn State study abroad program in Europe this summer - here's a Q&A with Welch and Slattery:

https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/8/...ockey-q-a.aspx

Penn State junior forward Natalie Heising has been invited to the USA Hockey Women's National Festival in Lake Placid, N.Y. August 5-13, her second consecutive and third overall trip to the select camp:

https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/7/...-festival.aspx

And in academic news, five Penn State women's hockey players were named AHCA All-American Scholars:

https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/7/...-scholars.aspx
    Congrats to Penn State commit/Chicago Mission u19 D Lyndie Lobdell on making the USA u18 team!

Quote Originally Posted by Sieve1 View Post
    Congrats to Penn State commit/Chicago Mission u19 D Lyndie Lobdell on making the USA u18 team!
    Was in Vermont last weekend saw some great hockey the 2020 PSU recruits looked very good. Bright future. https://www.winter-hawks.org/page/sh...ournament-2019

Quote Originally Posted by oggie View Post
    Was in Vermont last weekend saw some great hockey the 2020 PSU recruits looked very good. Bright future. https://www.winter-hawks.org/page/sh...ournament-2019
    I'd love to hear more about the tournament (and the Penn State recruits).

Saw the girls from the Chicago Mission, Jr. Whitecaps, Neppan, Boston Jr. Eagles. All are top end players. The Junior Whitecaps goalie was lights out 3 shutouts in the championship round by far the the best goalie at u-19 level. The Mission defense man was dynamic and very noticeable. The forward from Boston can fly. The Neppan forward is a really good two way player. 3 of the 4 will be there in 2020 the fourth will be there in 2021. Also saw the Mission goalie who is coming in 2021. She is solid

NAHA u19 has 2 PSU commits. Karley Garcia, D, 2021 and Tessa Janecke, F, 2022.

Garcia is force to be reckoned with on the ice. She was at 66 camp this summer, great offensive mind with the speed and physical ability to successful back check and dominate on D.

Janecke played very solid last weekend. She has a great sense of where to be on the ice and she uses her size and hands to control the puck very well at this level. She should develop very well at NAHA, especially with the program making changes this year.

Quote Originally Posted by oggie View Post
    Bothun had three shutouts in a row?

Thread Information