Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Penn State Nittany Lions

Re: 2019-20 Penn State Nittany Lions

Robert Morris sweeps Penn State with a 5-0 win. Robert Morris went 2-for-7 on the power play, and Penn State went 0-for-4. Penn State led the shots on goal 30-25, and both teams blocked 15 shots. Got to hand it to the rest of the team for pounding away with new line combinations in front of them and a new goalie behind them, and likely a whole new game plan because of both.

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Robert Morris needs work on their twitter. I did find some video, but not on any goals? Live Stats and play by play can only tell you part of the story.

The biggest ? for the weekend is how can Robert Morris have a pep band and Penn State with 40,000 students does not have a pep band?

1/3 of the season is in the books and the lack of stats for some players has to be concerning. Couple that with giving up 20 goals in four games and Coach and the players need to right the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    1/3 of the season is in the books and the lack of stats for some players has to be concerning. Couple that with giving up 20 goals in four games and Coach and the players need to right the ship.
    They have the next three weeks off until they play a home series against Syracuse on November 23-24. That's three weeks to figure out who's still going to be on this team and who isn't, or who's going to play for this team and who isn't. Coaches have decisions to make, and some players have decisions to make. Any really good transfers out there wanting a fresh start somewhere new, like Penn State?

Penn State had the makings of a great season this year, and that's going down the tubes in a hurry. It's way too early to call it a wash, but it's already nothing like it should've been at this point. That's not to say the players (active players) have given up...not by any stretch. But taking the starting goalie and at least three top-level players out of the lineup messes everything up. All the out-of-conference tuning is shot. Now the coaches have to rework lines, rework special teams, rework plays, etc. Then the players have to regroup and basically start over with the adjustments. It's like losing all the work of this first third of the season. Then what if the scratched players do get back into the lineup? Then everyone has to readjust again.

The players that were a scratch for the Robert Morris series have missed two weekends (four games) in a row now. I don't know if this weekend was a new penance they were paying, or if they were still on last weekend's punishment. Maybe they got a little extra time in the dog house because the same players earned a scratch to start last season, too. Who knows? It's frustrating and disappointing, and really hard to watch so much promise just get thrown away.

[QUOTE=Reddington;6860961]Robert Morris needs work on their twitter. I did find some video, but not on any goals? Live Stats and play by play can only tell you part of the story.

/QUOTE]

Thatís too bad on the goals. They used to publish a several minute video recap on their website after each game.

So as an outsider looking in and this is just speculation.
    1. Were the people scratched were the same people that were in trouble last year?
    2. If they were hats off to the coach obviously they did something that goes against what he is trying to build.
    3. Are these players his recruits or did he inherit them?
    4. Short term losses produce long term gains. This is a lesson that all teams need to learn.
    5. I have seen two games one on tv and one in person. The lions were mediocre at best to compete with the big girls you need to establish a winning culture that puts the team first.
    6. These players are 18-21 they are going to make mistakes both on the ice and off it. Though you are playing at a big time university and getting your education paid for with that comes responsibility that I am sure were communicated at the beginning of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by oggie View Post
    So as an outsider looking in and this is just speculation.

1. Were the people scratched the same people that were in trouble last year?
    2. If they were, hats off to the coach obviously they did something that goes against what he is trying to build.
    3. Are these players his recruits or did he inherit them?
    4. Short term losses produce long term gains. This is a lesson that all teams need to learn.
    5. I have seen two games one on tv and one in person. The lions were mediocre at best to compete with the big girls you need to establish a winning culture that puts the team first.
    6. These players are 18-21 they are going to make mistakes both on the ice and off it. Though you are playing at a big time university and getting your education paid for with that comes responsibility that I am sure were communicated at the beginning of the year.
    1. Yes, they're among the larger group that were scratched to start last season, but I don't know if Chantal Burke went to Colgate last season or not.
    2. Agreed, but if it's the same players and it's bad enough to hold them out of four games in a row, it must be crunch time for them to either turn a corner or hang it up and go home.
    3. Kampersal inherited everyone. He said his recruits start showing up next season.
    4. Absolutely, the whole team is learning something from this stuff.
    5. They aren't there yet, but they've improved greatly under Kampersal and his staff, and would have had their best season this year.
    6. That's the big sticking point: you're here on a scholarship, you'll walk away with a big-time degree in your hand, and you get to have that because you're here to be a D-1 hockey player. You don't get to have the same college experience as average students get. Your focus is the classroom and the hockey program, and there are team rules for both for when you aren't doing something with either of those.

1. Yes, they're among the larger group that were scratched to start last season, but I don't know if Chantal Burke went to Colgate last season or not.
    2. Agreed, but if it's the same players and it's bad enough to hold them out of four games in a row, it must be crunch time for them to either turn a corner or hang it up and go home.
    3. Kampersal inherited everyone. He said his recruits start showing up next season.
    4. Absolutely, the whole team is learning something from this stuff.
    5. They aren't there yet, but they've improved greatly under Kampersal and his staff, and would have had their best season this year.
    6. That's the big sticking point: you're here on a scholarship, you'll walk away with a big-time degree in your hand, and you get to have that because you're here to be a D-1 hockey player. You don't get to have the same college experience as average students get. Your focus is the classroom and the hockey program, and there are team rules for both for when you aren't doing something with either of those.
    Penn State went on the road and came within 1 minute and 20 seconds of taking two games from Providence. Providence beat Northeastern the next game 1-0. Northeastern was #3 at that time. And yes, Oggie might be right that Wisconsin and Minnesota are above everyone else. But, Clarkson and Colgate have spoken for the east. Penn State also tied Cornell last year, who went to the Final Four. So the gap seems huge, but at the same time it is not insurmountable.

Season is on the brink but, the good thing on tbe CHA, is everyone is in the playoffs.
    Last edited by Reddington; 11-06-2019 at 08:52 PM.

RIT split with Syracuse 7-4 and losing 3-0. Amazing how RIT can put up 7 goals.

https://minnesotahockeymag.com/minnes...ume-8-issue-6/ Article on 2020 Penn State Recruit Josie Bothun

Quote Originally Posted by oggie View Post
    https://minnesotahockeymag.com/minnes...ume-8-issue-6/ Article on 2020 Penn State Recruit Josie Bothun
    Thanks for posting. Signing day should have happened or should be happening soon.
    Last edited by Reddington; 11-06-2019 at 08:54 PM.

RIT split with Syracuse 7-4 and losing 3-0. Amazing how RIT can put up 7 goals.
    Put up seven goals in game one and got blanked in game two? Man, that's crazy.

I read both recent articles in the collegian while I was watching Penn State football beat Iowa.

Can they get ten of the 150 kids they have in the marching band at the women's hockey game? Maybe the Coach can buy them a pizza.

I wonder if this long break is really about academics and it it is I am all for that for the student athletes, but if it was for your one swedish player to play in the four nation's cup, which was cancelled, it seems a bit overkill considering her stats. But, it was also interesting to read about the team psychologist and team building. Apparently the girls hockey team gets treated well.

Did the coach read the article on goalie stats that I think he was quoted on?

Interesting on Brenneman being able to redshirt here or maybe somewhere else was another quote.

Nice to see the features on some of the new players.

It is interesting that mens hockey is in top ten again in the same amount of time as the women have had. Hopefully, it will carry over.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

It is interesting that mens hockey is in top ten again in the same amount of time as the women have had.
    The hiring of the first head coach is key for any new program, as it lays the foundation and sets the first impression for the talent pool. Gadowsky has done a nice job.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

I read both recent articles in the collegian while I was watching Penn State football beat Iowa.

Can they get ten of the 150 kids they have in the marching band at the women's hockey game? Maybe the Coach can buy them a pizza.
    That sure would be nice to have the band at games, like they are at every men's game. The same goes for the "Roar Zone" student section.

I wonder if this long break is really about academics...
    No, I asked Kampersal about it when the schedule came out and I saw such a big break in November, and he said the CHA changed something or other that left Penn State with three weeks off. He said back then that he was planning a scrimmage for this weekend to fill the gap, but I haven't seen or heard anything about that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    The hiring of the first head coach is key for any new program, as it lays the foundation and sets the first impression for the talent pool. Gadowsky has done a nice job.
    Guy Gadowski has done a great job with the men's program. They got a gem when they hired him to start D-1 hockey at Penn State. On the women's side? Errrrr, not so much.

Also, normally I'd dread seeing a team have three weeks off in November, but it might be just what this team needed. By next weekend's series with Syracuse, Penn State will have had three weeks to get any injuries handled, and more importantly to get everyone back on track mentally and shake off the off-ice distractions that squandered the last four games. Without this extended break, they would've been having to reinvent the dynamics of the team and that sure wasn't going very well.

I hope they come out against Syracuse with a renewed sense of urgency and dedication to the season, and a determination to be as good as they really could be this year. Maybe the last four games and this long break will be rallying points. It's a great time for team leaders to lead.

National Signing Day has come and gone, and it looks like Jeff Kampersal was serious about ramping up the Penn State offense. There were seven signees - one goalie, one defender, and five forwards, and a lot of national-level experience in the bunch. I've only taken a quick look for any stats on these players, and I'm too lazy to have anything specific, but one player currently has 38 points in 15 games, another player had 40+ points in 14 games the past two seasons, another is currently third in PWHL scoring, etc etc. Hopefully, Penn State will do full bios on these players before long.

Kampersal didn't go mining in Minnesota, either. Only the goalie is from Minnesota. Two are from Ontario, one from Pennsylvania, one from New York, one from Massachusetts, and one from Illinois. Maybe he's moving away from the traditional Minnesota-heavy roster at Penn State.

Josie Bothun, goalie - Wyoming, MN
    Lyndie Lobdell, defense - Aurora, IL
    Jess Ciarrocchi, forward - West Chester, PA
    Maeve Connolly, forward - West Roxbury, MA
    Kiara Zanon, forward - Fairport, NY
    Olivia Wallin, forward - Oakville, Ontario
    Alyssa Machado, forward - Mississauga, Ontario

Kampersal didn't go mining in Minnesota, either. Only the goalie is from Minnesota. Two are from Ontario, one from Pennsylvania, one from New York, one from Massachusetts, and one from Illinois. Maybe he's moving away from the traditional Minnesota-heavy roster at Penn State.
    In the past, you could project Penn State's win totals 4 years out by looking at how Minnetonka HS was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Leather helmet View Post
    In the past, you could project Penn State's win totals 4 years out by looking at how Minnetonka HS was doing.
    Is that where Peterson and Bowman went?

Thread Information