Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Penn State Nittany Lions

Re: 2019-20 Penn State Nittany Lions

Penn State is still up 2-1 on Providence. The live stats are wrong, so I won't quote them. One of the goals was changed to a Natalie Heising goal. Penn State peeled almost all of the paint off the Providence goal posts in that period - Providence is lucky it isn't at least 4-1 right now.

Heading to OT tied 2-2 at Providence on a late third period power play goal. The penalty on Penn State (I know how this will sound) was total garbage. Rachel Weiss got knocked down, and her stick hit a player when she hit the ice, and the ref called her for tripping. I thought it was garbage, anyway.

This game ends in a 2-2 OT tie, and I'm probably too upset at that to be commenting. Penn State looked their best of the season offensively in this series, for sure, but the defense...well, just plain lazy on too many plays, taking too long to decide to go (slowly) after the puck. Just too many times getting caught waiting for a play rather than getting after it.

The positives: the offense, especially the top line, were hot all weekend. Loli Fidler was back in the lineup and looked better today and should be good to go. Chantal Burke stopped the shots she had a chance at and looked great - the game announcer loved her. The power play finally looked like a power play, except for the one in OT. All in all, it was a good weekend for Penn State - I'm just frustrated at the defense.

(EDIT) The goals were officially changed to Madsen and Heising.
    Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 10-19-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Heading to OT tied 2-2 at Providence on a late third period power play goal. The penalty on Penn State (I know how this will sound) was total garbage. Rachel Weiss got knocked down, and her stick hit a player when she hit the ice, and the ref called her for tripping. I thought it was garbage, anyway.
    That was a bad tie. I thought Weiss had a goal in first. I think Kampresal should have challenged. Gangarosa hit a cross bar and it might have been top shelf and out. I would have challenged that. Weiss hit where the crossbar and pipe meet. I would not have challenged that.You are right on ?able call.
    Burke played great, but that game tying goal was a flat shot.I hope Hemminger is ok.

I wouldn't be frustrated at the d, I would be looking at the six penalties that led to six power plays. That is not disciplined hockey. That's why Providence had more shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    I wouldn't be frustrated at the d, I would be looking at the six penalties that led to six power plays. That is not disciplined hockey. That's why Providence had more shots.
    Penalties were frustrating, too, and Penn State is normally very good about managing that. I shouldn't say I'm frustrated at the defense as a whole...I just didn't like seeing Providence dump the puck, and the defense take so long to get after it and move the puck, because it let Providence get in and challenge them. Not all the time - just enough times to bug me. It was such a winnable game.

I'm sure Jeff Kampersal will be on them this week about taking penalties.

Penalties were frustrating, too, and Penn State is normally very good about managing that. I shouldn't say I'm frustrated at the defense as a whole...I just didn't like seeing Providence dump the puck, and the defense take so long to get after it and move the puck, because it let Providence get in and challenge them. Not all the time - just enough times to bug me. It was such a winnable game.

I'm sure Jeff Kampersal will be on them this week about taking penalties.

Face Offs. The data suggests that Kampresal has settled on three centers.

Shea Nelson 70-58 54.7 percent
    Katie Rankin 68-42 61.8 percent
    Abby Welch. 47-34 58 percent

I thought maybe Katie McMillan was getting some play at center, but she has only taken 14 faceoffs. She is leading the team in scoring with 2 g 4 assists. Next, is Heising with 5 pts. Amanda McCloud is the fourth center I think but must be getting pulled off for faceoffs.

The D are all close:

Rene Gangarosa 2 g 2 A 11 blocks +- 0
    Izzy Heminger 2 g 2 A. 9 blocks +- 0
    Jess Adolfson.2 A 12 blocks. -2
    Mallory Uieleen 2A. 8 blocks -4
    Morgan Rolph 1 A. 10 blocks +-0
    Kate Rydland. 2 blocks +- 0
    Amy Dobson. 1 block +-0

I'm still not sure of the identity of this team, but the faceoffs and d seem to be in good shape.

Burke has a .923 save percentage. Maybe with the new goalie coach she can attain .935. I think she is doing fantastic.
    Leonard suited up this past weekend, so she is definitely not redshirting.

Power Plays. Adolfson Heising pp now has one PP goal. They have given up two sh. Almost one if not two other sh goals were almost given up at Providence. This needs to be a point of emphasis.

McMillan Gangarosa Heminger pp has 5 pp goals. Lately, Weiss and Rankin have been added.

As far as frosh: Weiss is coming on strong and is getting time on the pp. Gough scored a goal in her first game and must have looked good enough to be put with Heising and Nelson. I think Lanto has been solid.
    Uihleen has seamlessly fit into the d and getting pp time.

BU are clearly two winnable games.
    Last edited by Reddington; 10-23-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Face Offs. The data suggests that Kampresal has settled on three centers.

Shea Nelson 70-58 54.7 percent
    Katie Rankin 68-42 61.8 percent
    Abby Welch. 47-34 58 percent

I thought maybe Katie McMillan was getting some play at center, but she has only taken 14 faceoffs.
    Katie Rankin is almost always the most reliable faceoff player Penn State has - she's fun to watch in the circle.

Burke has a .927 save percentage. Maybe with the new goalie coach she can attain .935. I think she is doing fantastic.
    The Wisconsin series is going to tarnish her numbers for the rest of the season, but I agree with you that she's looking great so far, and I'm glad they have a goalie coach now, too (makes me wonder who coached the goalies before he came aboard).

McMillan Gangarosa Heminger pp has 5 pp goals. Lately, Weiss and Rankin have been added.
    I really like the combination of Gangarosa and Heminger on defense. Heminger has a rocket of a shot, and last weekend Gangarosa found hers, too.

As far as frosh: Weiss is coming on strong and is getting time on the pp. Gough scored a goal in her first game and must have looked good enough to be put with Heising and Nelson. I think Lanto has been solid. Uihleen has seemlessly fit into the d and getting pp time.
    Speaking of Uhlein, she was named the CHA Rookie of the Week: https://chawomenshockey.com/news/201...ha-awards.aspx

And: https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/10...eek-award.aspx
    Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 10-21-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Junior goalie Chantal Burke made it onto the NCAA Hockey Plays of the Week list: https://twitter.com/NCAAIceHockey/st...65907805925376

Penn State is back home this weekend for a Friday/Saturday series against #10 Boston University. Friday's game is at 3:00 Eastern, and Saturday's game is at 1:00 Eastern.

It looks like a pretty even matchup as far as stats go. BU averages 30 shots per game to Penn State's 29, BU averages 2 goals per game to Penn State's 1.9. BU does take 4.4 penalties per game to Penn State''s 3.1, and that may work out well for Penn State. Boston University hasn't really played anybody yet, so this will be their biggest test so far, and Penn State has already played two at Wisconsin, so they won't see anything they haven't seen already.

Boston University's junior goalie Corinne Schroeder has a .964 save percentage to Chantal Burke's .923, but again Burke's numbers include the firestorm at Wisconsin. I'll take Burke all day every day. Schroeder is good, but she's only seen four games. She's a big goalie at 5-11, so we'll see if Penn State can test her.

Both games are on live stream from BTN+ with a subscription.

Penn State is back home this weekend for a Friday/Saturday series against #10 Boston University. Friday's game is at 3:00 Eastern, and Saturday's game is at 1:00 Eastern.

It looks like a prettSchroedechup as far as stats go. BU averages 30 shots per game to Penn State's 29, BU averages 2 goals per game to Penn State's 1.9. BU does take 4.4 penalties per game to Penn State''s 3.1, and that may work out well for Penn State. Boston University hasn't really played anybody yet, so this will be their biggest test so far, and Penn State has already played two at Wisconsin, so they won't see anything they haven't seen already.

Boston University's junior goalie Corinne Schroeder has a .964 save percentage to Chantal Burke's .923, but again Burke's numbers include the firestorm at Wisconsin. I'll take Burke all day every day. Schroeder is good, but she's only seen four games. She's a big goalie at 5-11, so we'll see if Penn State can test her.

Both games are on live stream from BTN+ with a subscription.
    Penn State is playing a heavy concentration of Hockey East teams. Penn State was 1-0-1 against BU last year when BU was ranked higher. I see BU still has Compher, Davis, Tzarnosky
    and Schroeder. I am sure BU is thinking these are two easy games since Penn State has two ties against Holy Cross.

As far as d pairings, I think he is all set.

The offense is not scoring enough so I would jumble the lines again as he has enough of a benchmark with the current lines to know what he would get if he went back to them.

I am sure BU is thinking these are two easy games, since Penn State has two ties against Holy Cross.
    I hope they are! But they have one-goal wins against Union and UConn and an OT tie with Merrimack, so they can't say a whole lot.

The offense is not scoring enough, so I would jumble the lines again, as he has enough of a benchmark with the current lines to know what he would get if he went back to them.
    I agree pretty much, except I think I'd leave the top Heising/Madsen/Nelson line intact. After those three, he has a lot of options with strong players - Katie McMillan, Rachel Weiss, Katie Rankin, Loli Fidler (if she's 100% now), and more.

Saturday's game is the annual THON game that attracts a pretty decent crowd and a good showing in the student section, so that one should be fun.
    Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 10-24-2019 at 01:08 PM.

I hope they are! But they have one-goal wins against Union and UConn and an OT tie with Merrimack, so they can't say a whole lot.

I agree pretty much, except I think I'd leave the top Heising/Madsen/Nelson line intact. After those three, he has a lot of options with strong players - Katie McMillan, Rachel Weiss, Katie Rankin, Loli Fidler (if she's 100% now), and more.

Saturday's game is the annual THON game that attracts a pretty decent crowd and a good showing in the student section, so that one should be fun.
    I would break up all three. Lol. Two hockey minds disagreeing is totally predictable. Heising with two goals through 8 games is not enough for me. Coach needs to find a combo that can get her unleashed.

These are two winnable games.

Jeff Kampersal will be on the Penn State Coaches Show at 6:05 PM (Eastern) at this link: https://gopsusports.com/watch/?Live=537&type=Live

Jeff Kampersal will be on the Penn State Coaches Show at 6:05 PM (Eastern) at this link: https://gopsusports.com/watch/?Live=537&type=Live
    Very interesting radio show or podcast. I would not be surprised on line changes offensively. He is happy with the d lines. He even had to apologise for not playing one player on d.
    Offensively for kicks and in no particular order:

Promersberger, McCloud,Gough Lanto. Apparently Promersberger is playing center now. Gough and McCloud have goals this year.

Nelson Fidler Slattery. Put the most puck dominant speedster who loves cycling low with the craftiest player behind the net, Fidler, and a superior cutter Slattery.

Rankin Madsen McMillan. Clearly he likes Madsen on the forecheck, I like Rankin on the forecheck and it takes two to forecheck. Put them with high hockey IQ McMillan who can play high and is right now leading the team in scoring.

Welch Heising and Weiss. Welch can be the facilitator to these two dynamic players. Weiss can keep up with Heising and Welch has a motor.

Very interesting radio show or podcast. I would not be surprised on line changes offensively. He is happy with the d lines. He even had to apologise for not playing one player on d.
    Offensively for kicks and in no particular order:

Promersberger, McCloud,Gough Lanto. Apparently Promersberger is playing center now. Gough and McCloud have goals this year.

Nelson Fidler Slattery. Put the most puck dominant speedster who loves cycling low with the craftiest player behind the net, Fidler, and a superior cutter Slattery.

Rankin Madsen McMillan. Clearly he likes Madsen on the forecheck, I like Rankin on the forecheck and it takes two to forecheck. Put them with high hockey IQ McMillan who can play high and is right now leading the team in scoring.

Welch Heising and Weiss. Welch can be the facilitator to these two dynamic players. Weiss can keep up with Heising and Welch has a motor.
    I'm not going to try to follow that with ideas for line combinations, but that's some good stuff there! Kampersal has so many options to work with, which is something kind of new for Penn State. He also said next year he will start getting the players he's recruited to move this program where he wants it to be.

Kampersal did make special mention of Brooke Madsen's relentless style, and her forecheck is something I've liked about her play since she was a freshman. I've said it before, but she reminds me so much of Laura Bowman and the way Bowman used to be the last one out of the offensive zone, always pressing and forcing the opponent's play.

Watching Shea Nelson on a line with Natalie Heising, it looks (to me) like those two are starting to figure each other out and know where to position themselves when either has the puck. Kampersal may choose to juggle lines this weekend, but he's got to find combinations he likes so players get time to build that chemistry. The CHA part of the schedule starts next weekend at Robert Morris...time to make some decisions. I suppose it can be argued that having multiple possible combinations available (that are proven to work) is great, too, as an opponent won't know exactly what lineup they'll be facing. I think they're a couple solid players away from going that route, though.

It's nice when a team also has defensive players who aren't afraid to shoot the puck, too. Jessica Adolfsson and Izzy Heminger both have rockets for shots, and Rene Gangarosa showed she has a scoring touch, too (a deflection, from back at the faceoff circle, on a shot from the blue line? Who does that?). It remains to be seen just how offensive a game Mallory Uhlein will develop, but she's already stood out for her defensive game, and she's not afraid to shoot the puck, either, and being paired with someone like Adolfsson is a great way to work her way through her freshman year. After a year of being here and working out at this level, and bulking up a little, she's going to be a good one.

I'm not going to try to follow that with ideas for line combinations, but that's some good stuff there! Kampersal has so many options to work with, which is something kind of new for Penn State. He also said next year he will start getting the players he's recruited to move this program where he wants it to be.

Kampersal did make special mention of Brooke Madsen's relentless style, and her forecheck is something I've liked about her play since she was a freshman. I've said it before, but she reminds me so much of Laura Bowman and the way Bowman used to be the last one out of the offensive zone, always pressing and forcing the opponent's play.

Watching Shea Nelson on a line with Natalie Heising, it looks (to me) like those two are starting to figure each other out and know where to position themselves when either has the puck. Kampersal may choose to juggle lines this weekend, but he's got to find combinations he likes so players get time to build that chemistry. The CHA part of the schedule starts next weekend at Robert Morris...time to make some decisions. I suppose it can be argued that having multiple possible combinations available (that are proven to work) is great, too, as an opponent won't know exactly what lineup they'll be facing. I think they're a couple solid players away from going that route, though.

It's nice when a team also has defensive players who aren't afraid to shoot the puck, too. Jessica Adolfsson and Izzy Heminger both have rockets for shots, and Rene Gangarosa showed she has a scoring touch, too (a deflection, from back at the faceoff circle, on a shot from the blue line? Who does that?). It remains to be seen just how offensive a game Mallory Uhlein will develop, but she's already stood out for her defensive game, and she's not afraid to shoot the puck, either, and being paired with someone like Adolfsson is a great way to work her way through her freshman year. After a year of being here and working out at this level, and bulking up a little, she's going to be a good one.
    Kampresal had high praise for Gangarosa and said she has been Penn State's best player this year, further saying she does a little of everything. I remember last year Lindsay said she stood out. On the goal you are talking about, it sure was impressive to watch a d make a breakout pass, become the weakside center breakout, make a stretch
    pass to the far blueline and then cut to the net and redirect the centering pass from McMillan into the net with one hand. I don't think McMillan was shooting, I think she was trying to hit the farside cutter and that's why the goalie slid over.
    Gangarosa should have had the secondary assist.

Hemminger also looks good to me. I hope she plays this weekend. Adolfson needs to get untracked, the potential is there. I like how he is playing Rolph and Rydland as I think Adolfson is much better 1 every 3 as opposed to 1/2.

There are 5 d with 8 or more blocks. I like that.

I came home during the first period, after the second goal against Cam Leonard. I took my camera and was going to move down behind the Boston goalie for some video, and sitting in a row up top in street clothes were Chantal Burke, Loli Fidler, Shea Nelson, Katie Rankin, and Sophie Slattery. None of them wanted to chit-chat, and none of them were in their usual good moods. I knew Chantal Burke was out, because she didn't come out for warmups (and I hoped she wasn't hurt), but I didn't realize she was benched, and with so many others, too. Good lord - nothing like hog-tying the team.

I came home during the first period, after the second goal against Cam Leonard. I took my camera and was going to move down behind the Boston goalie for some video, and sitting in a row up top in street clothes were Chantal Burke, Loli Fidler, Shea Nelson, Katie Rankin, and Sophie Slattery. None of them wanted to chit-chat, and none of them were in their usual good moods. I knew Chantal Burke was out, because she didn't come out for warmups (and I hoped she wasn't hurt), but I didn't realize she was benched, and with so many others, too. Good lord - nothing like hog-tying the team.
    Did this not happen earlier this season as well where the team played with a very short bench?

Thread Information