Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Penn State Nittany Lions

Re: 2019-20 Penn State Nittany Lions

Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    Needed two wins and got them. Just noticed McMillan does not have an A. Six A's and she does not have one, but she was one of two to speak on media day?? That's a head scratcher for sure.
    I don't get the whole As but no Cs this season - I've never seen that, but whatever works. I did notice Natalie Heising doing the refs pregame talk with team captains, but maybe all the As take turns doing that.

I was rewatching some video clips from the weekend, and RPI's #10 (Blake Orosz) was really itching for trouble. She took every opportunity to pound someone or give an extra chippy jab. I noticed she didn't try it with Jessica Adolfsson, though, who's about three feet taller than her and probably twice as strong. She's going to do that to the wrong player on the wrong team and get herself hurt.

I was really expecting a bigger show of students for Saturday's game, since the men's game was coming right on the heels of the women's game (and they always pack the student section for that). On top of that, Jeff Kampersal paid for free pizza for the student section, and still they couldn't manage to show up in decent numbers. They're amazing at men's games, but I wish they'd share some of that energy with the women's team, too.

Penn State is off to Providence next weekend. These out-of-conference games are all testing/adjusting games to get set for the CHA part of the schedule, but a win is a win, so I hope they come out as energetic as they did yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    I don't get the whole As but no Cs this season - I've never seen that, but whatever works. I did notice Natalie Heising doing the refs pregame talk with team captains, but maybe all the As take turns doing that.

I was rewatching some video clips from the weekend, and RPI's #10 (Blake Orosz) was really itching for trouble. She took every opportunity to pound someone or give an extra chippy jab. I noticed she didn't try it with Jessica Adolfsson, though, who's about three feet taller than her and probably twice as strong. She's going to do that to the wrong player on the wrong team and get herself hurt.

I was really expecting a bigger show of students for Saturday's game, since the men's game was coming right on the heels of the women's game (and they always pack the student section for that). On top of that, Jeff Kampersal paid for free pizza for the student section, and still they couldn't manage to show up in decent numbers. They're amazing at men's games, but I wish they'd share some of that energy with the women's team, too.

Penn State is off to Providence next weekend. These out-of-conference games are all testing/adjusting games to get set for the CHA part of the schedule, but a win is a win, so I hope they come out as energetic as they did yesterday.
    The next four games will either lead to respectability or mediocrity. Burke has had three good games in a row.

Pizza for the student section and he even thanked them for coming. I like that. As far as the students, the weather was nice, it was parents weekend, if your mom didn't play hockey do you think your mom would want to go watch hockey?

But, yes trying to couple the men's program with the women's sounds smart to me.

Junior goalie Chantal Burke was named the CHA Goalie of the Week: https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/10...-the-week.aspx

Time to look ahead to the weekend series at Providence (Friday at 6:00 PM, Saturday at 3:00 PM).

Again, it's too early in the season to have a real handle on any opponent, especially an out-of-conference opponent, and Providence is no exception. This season, Providence has split two one-goal games with Quinnipiac, and had a solid win and an OT tie with Bemidji State. That doesn't say much of anything, so get whatever you can get from that.

Looking back at last season's series with Providence, Penn State split with them, taking a 5-3 win and a 3-2 loss. That series was at Pegula Ice Arena, where Penn State had a strange aversion to winning last season (going 5-5-5 at home). Being much the same team as last season, and I would say even a little faster, Penn State looks to have every opportunity for success at Providence this weekend. Of course, the same was said for the Holy Cross series that opened the season and ended in two OT ties. Still, I like their chances this weekend.

Last weekend, Chantal Burke looked much more comfortable in her new role as the starting goalie for Penn State. She needed the kind of series she got from RPI, to settle in after the firing squad she had to face at Wisconsin. Her confidence got a boost, and she didn't show any glaring missteps, so hopefully she likes her new spot and really digs in. It was great to see Loli Fidler back in action, too, and she also needed a series like the RPI series to get herself back into game mode. My favorite freshman so far is forward Rachel Weiss - she's a very fast skater, strong, smart with the puck, and gets right into the mix without hesitation. She's going to be one to watch for the next four years.

No word on any live video for this weekend - nothing is posted on either the Penn State or Providence sites.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

No word on any live video for this weekend - nothing is posted on either the Penn State or Providence sites.
    As of now, it looks like a live stream is planned for both games:
    https://www.collegesportslive.com/schedule/hockeyeast/
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    As of now, it looks like a live stream is planned for both games:
    https://www.collegesportslive.com/schedule/hockeyeast/
    Great news - thanks for the info and link!

(EDIT): I just signed up for a month - you can't beat $9.99 for a month of all kinds of sports.
    Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 10-16-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Time to look ahead to the weekend series at Providence (Friday at 6:00 PM, Saturday at 3:00 PM).

Again, it's too early in the season to have a real handle on any opponent, especially an out-of-conference opponent, and Providence is no exception. This season, Providence has split two one-goal games with Quinnipiac, and had a solid win and an OT tie with Bemidji State. That doesn't say much of anything, so get whatever you can get from that.

Looking back at last season's series with Providence, Penn State split with them, taking a 5-3 win and a 3-2 loss. That series was at Pegula Ice Arena, where Penn State had a strange aversion to winning last season (going 5-5-5 at home). Being much the same team as last season, and I would say even a little faster, Penn State looks to have every opportunity for success at Providence this weekend. Of course, the same was said for the Holy Cross series that opened the season and ended in two OT ties. Still, I like their chances this weekend.

Last weekend, Chantal Burke looked much more comfortable in her new role as the starting goalie for Penn State. She needed the kind of series she got from RPI, to settle in after the firing squad she had to face at Wisconsin. Her confidence got a boost, and she didn't show any glaring missteps, so hopefully she likes her new spot and really digs in. It was great to see Loli Fidler back in action, too, and she also needed a series like the RPI series to get herself back into game mode. My favorite freshman so far is forward Rachel Weiss - she's a very fast skater, strong, smart with the puck, and gets right into the mix without hesitation. She's going to be one to watch for the next four years.

All the frosh have looked like solid additions. Kampresal needs to figure out which player will be giving Murphy extra attention. I lean towards a forward rather than a d picking up that responsibility. Penn State struggled with letting certain players get some big stats last year, but they did slow down Compher and finally the Robert Morris scorer in game four.

Well, this is interesting - Penn State finally got a goalie coach: https://twitter.com/PennStateWHKY/st...28540363165701

Penn State's weekend preview for the road series at Providence: https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/10...rovidence.aspx

Starting lineup for tonight's game against Providence. Loli Fidler is back to being a scratch again, so I hope they give her the time she needs to be back at 100%.

https://twitter.com/PennStateWHKY/st...07063179567104

...aaaaaaaaaaand Loli Fidler is on the ice, so who did the starting lineup?

Penn State leads Providence 1-0 after the first period on a beautiful one-timer power play goal from sophomore defender Rene Gangarosa. Providence leads the shots on goal 10-9 (somehow), but Penn State looks a lot better and is really controlling the flow of the game. Penn State is 1-for-2 on the power play and still has time on the second one when period two starts, and Providence is 0-for-1.

On a sidenote, the speed and strength of freshman Rachel Weiss is fun to watch - she is one quick player.

Penn State goes up 2-0 on Providence after Rene Gangarosa's second goal of the game (she had one goal as a freshman in all of last season). Penn State leads the shots on goal by 20-17. Chantal Burke made some highlight reel saves in the second, and Penn State continues to press the action in this game, although Providence started to get some looks. The Providence goalie made some huge saves in the second, too, on some great chances for Penn State. Overall, though, Penn State is controlling the game and getting a lot of time in the offensive zone, and also playing some smothering defense.

Penn State picks up the 4-2 win against Providence on two goals from Rene Gangarosa, one nice snipe from Brooke Madsen, and an empty-netter from Katie Rankin. The third period was all Providence, who finished ahead in shots on goal 33-26. Penn State was 1-for-2 on power plays and Providence was 1-for-3.

Penn State went into full defense-only mode for the whole third period and looked like they just weren't going to go after any more goals with a 3-0 lead. That cost them two Providence goals. Despite those two goals, Chantal Burke looked great in net. Tomorrow should be a good one, if Penn State stays on the gas for 60 minutes.

[QUOTE=ZedLeppelin;6854205]The Penn State game recap: https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/10...r-4-2-win.aspx[/QUOTE

Whatever Penn State did today, I would not change a thing. A big win on the road. Gangarosa and McMillan had big games. Fidler looked good but I'm not sure she is getting a regular shift. Of course Rankin was fourth line awhile back and that's baffling too.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    Whatever Penn State did today, I would not change a thing. A big win on the road. Gangarosa and McMillan had big games.
    Rene Gangarosa's goals were surprising, but great to see her scoring. That's two weekends in a row where a defender has had a two-goal game for Penn State (Izzy Heminger last weekend). It sounds funny, but Heminger and Gangarosa are now tied with Natalie Heising for points on the season, and Katie McMillan is leading the scoring so far.

Fidler looked good but I'm not sure she is getting a regular shift. Of course Rankin was fourth line awhile back and that's baffling too.
    Fidler did look better yesterday, but she still doesn't look 100%. She's usually so quick and mixing it up in front of the net, but at least she got more time yesterday to really move around the ice and handle the puck a bit, and that's good to see. Did you notice Jenna Brenneman up in the stands with her crutches, when they were doing some crowd shots?

Rene Gangarosa's goals were surprising, but great to see her scoring. That's two weekends in a row where a defender has had a two-goal game for Penn State (Izzy Heminger last weekend). It sounds funny, but Heminger and Gangarosa are now tied with Natalie Heising for points on the season, and Katie McMillan is leading the scoring so far.

Fidler did look better yesterday, but she still doesn't look 100%. She's usually so quick and mixing it up in front of the net, but at least she got more time yesterday to really move around the ice and handle the puck a bit, and that's good to see. Did you notice Jenna Brenneman up in the stands with her crutches, when they were doing some crowd shots?
    The Providence announcers were the best so far in this young season. The Providence rink is a nice facility.

Yes,the McMillan Gangarosa and Heminger power play has all the pp goals while the Adolfson Heising power play has given up two sh goals. So that could explain the scoring totals you mentioned.

I finally see That +- is being written about, but you can never be sure if that is coach writing or a new student writer.

I'm not really sure if the coaching staff uses advanced analytics to help make decisions.

I'm sure Providence is not happy and will come out playing hard.
    Last edited by Reddington; 10-19-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Starting lineup for today's second game at Providence: https://twitter.com/PennStateWHKY/st...479689/photo/1

Izzy Heminger is a scratch for today. She did take a pretty hard slam to the boards yesterday, so maybe it was worse than it looked.

Penn State is up 2-1 after the first period at Providence, on goals from Mallory Uhlein and Shea Nelson. Penn State leads the shots on goal by 8-5, and both teams are 1-for-1 on the power play. Providence came out looking like Penn State did yesterday, all go, all hustle, but Penn State put two goals in with under a minute left in the period. The top line of Natalie Heising, Shea Nelson, and Brooke Madsen is one that Jeff Kampersal should leave alone - they work so well together.

One of the goals may go to Brooke Madsen after they look at it again, because I think she got a deflection on it.

Thread Information