Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Penn State Nittany Lions

Re: 2019-20 Penn State Nittany Lions

And some game video - it's a bit longer than usual, and it's just the goals, but there were a lot of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0T4JFkNEI0

After this weekend's games, all the teams in the CHA are now done with conference games until after the holidays. At the break, Mercyhurst and Robert Morris are tied for first with 10 points each. Syracuse has 9 points, Penn State has 5, RIT has 2, and Lindenwood has 0.

The fight for third place in the conference would probably be closer at the holiday break, but Syracuse caught a lucky one getting a series with a goalie-less Lindenwood to end the first half of the season, including the second game that had a freshman forward in net for Lindenwood - no wonder Syracuse scored 13 goals, but come on. Lindenwood is in serious trouble if none of their goalies can return from whatever injuries they each have. You have to feel for their seniors, and for Shelley Looney in her first year as head coach...ugh.

As always, Mercyhurst and Robert Morris own the CHA this season, and so far nobody else in the conference really looks poised to upset that tandem. A win against either team would probably mean that they had an off night, more than an upset winner was really better. Mercyhurst and Robert Morris are as solid as ever, and everyone else in the CHA is still working their way to that level. The current standings are probably a pretty accurate measure of how close everyone else is.

Tournament time is a different beast, with the CHA's goofy setup of playing the entire tournament in just three days, consisting of single-elimination games, none of them on anyone's home ice (all are in Buffalo/Pegulaville, for a nominal fee, of course). No thanks...give me the WCHA format of best-of-three quarterfinal series hosted at the home rinks of the highest seeds, and then the tournament championship games the following weekend. Crazy things can happen in such a weird CHA tournament format, and I don't like it because the best representative of the CHA won't always be the one going to the national tournament (like last year with Syracuse). I'd rather see the CHA hit the national tournament and make some noise.

Anyway, conference hockey is done until the new year, and that's where Penn State & Company stand in the CHA.
    Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 12-08-2019 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    After this weekend's games, all the teams in the CHA are now done with conference games until after the holidays. At the break, Mercyhurst and Robert Morris are tied for first with 10 points each. Syracuse has 9 points, Penn State has 5, RIT has 2, and Lindenwood has 0.

The fight for third place in the conference would probably be closer at the holiday break, but Syracuse caught a lucky one getting a series with a goalie-less Lindenwood to end the first half of the season, including the second game that had a freshman forward in net for Lindenwood - no wonder Syracuse scored 13 goals, but come on. Lindenwood is in serious trouble if none of their goalies can return from whatever injuries they each have. You have to feel for their seniors, and for Shelley Looney in her first year as head coach...ugh.

As always, Mercyhurst and Robert Morris own the CHA this season, and so far nobody else in the conference really looks poised to upset that tandem. A win against either team would probably mean that they had an off night, more than an upset winner was really better. Mercyhurst and Robert Morris are as solid as ever, and everyone else in the CHA is still working their way to that level. The current standings are probably a pretty accurate measure of how close everyone else is.

Tournament time is a different beast, with the CHA's goofy setup of playing the entire tournament in just three days, consisting of single-elimination games, none of them on anyone's home ice (all are in Buffalo/Pegulaville, for a nominal fee, of course). No thanks...give me the WCHA format of best-of-three quarterfinal series hosted at the home rinks of the highest seeds, and then the tournament championship games the following weekend. Crazy things can happen in such a weird CHA tournament format, and I don't like it because the best representative of the CHA won't always be the one going to the national tournament (like last year with Syracuse). I'd rather see the CHA hit the national tournament and make some noise.

Anyway, conference hockey is done until the new year, and that's where Penn State & Company stand in the CHA.
    Penn State's stats seem to change after a game on a regular basis. Friday Night Gangarosa had an assist and was leading the team in scoring and Saturday morning it was gone. Saturday Night Heising was leading the team in scoring after a multi point effort and now on Sunday it is showing Madsen leading.

So there you have it halfway through the season for scoring: Madsen in first, Heising in second and McMillan and Gangarosa tied for third.

Burke is leading the CHA in save percentage. As good as Brenneman was last year, I think Burke has been just as good. Other than that goal she gave up against Wisconsin along the post, she has passed the eye test. The new goalie coach may be helping.

Nelson is leading in +- with +3.

Gangarosa is leading in blocks with 32.

Rankin is leading in FO percentage.

On the Frosh: it has been up and down for all four, but it looks like they are all making contributions now.

The readjustment of the lines seems to have worked.
    Let's see if it sticks. The Coach was rewarded with sticking with the fourth line this weekend with the first goal Friday and the first and third goal Saturday.
    Promersberger has looked good enough to move to a higher line but perhaps the Coach needs a center for that line.

Brenneman out for the year. Adolffson out for the year. Slattery and Fidler have not been seen since Providence.
    It has been a tumultuous first half of the year. If those
    Two ties against Holy Cross had been W's a .500 record would be looking decent.

The next two games are imperative for Penn State if they have any aspirations of building off of last year rather than regressing.

It's a shame with the baloney at Lindenwood as Syracuse will have gaudy stats from this past weekend that will reflect in conference stats the whole year.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post

Slattery and Fidler have not been seen since Providence.
    Do we know what's up with Slattery and Fidler? Are they still on the team? They're definitely talented enough to contribute if healthy I would think.

Penn State swept the CHA weekly awards with the Player of the Week (Natalie Heising), Goalie of the Week (Chantal Burke), and Rookie of the Week (Mikayla Lantto):

https://www.chawomenshockey.com/news...ly-awards.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Offsides Guy View Post
    Do we know what's up with Slattery and Fidler? Are they still on the team? They're definitely talented enough to contribute if healthy I would think.
    They're both still on the team, but they must be in some very hot water. No idea what's going on with either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Offsides Guy View Post
    Don't know, but I agree with your statement on helping the team. All you have to do is look at the top four scorers and three are from Minnesota.

If those two ties against Holy Cross had been W's a .500 record would be looking decent.
    Absolutely, and I would argue that with the full roster Penn State could have beaten Boston University, too, and also given Robert Morris a much better test. There's no way BU would have put five goals past Chantal Burke, and I don't believe Robert Morris would have, either. Benching Chantal Burke, Shea Nelson, Loli Fidler, Katie Rankin, and Sophie Slattery changed the entire dynamic of the team for those games.

Absolutely, and I would argue that with the full roster Penn State could have beaten Boston University, too, and also given Robert Morris a much better test. There's no way BU would have put five goals past Chantal Burke, and I don't believe Robert Morris would have, either. Benching Chantal Burke, Shea Nelson, Loli Fidler, Katie Rankin, and Sophie Slattery changed the entire dynamic of the team for those games.
    All I am saying is that no one expected Holy Cross to come out with ties against Penn State other than the Holy Cross faithful. Those are two W's that State should have had. I'm more likely to take a negative view on performance rather than discipline.

All I am saying is that no one expected Holy Cross to come out with ties against Penn State other than the Holy Cross faithful. Those are two W's that State should have had.
    I couldn't agree more. Nobody saw that coming, and those were two wins Penn State gave away. Thankfully they weren't conference games for points.

I'm more likely to take a negative view on performance rather than discipline.
    I worded it wrongly - I should have said "getting benched" changed the whole dynamic of the team for those games, rather than "benching those players". I have no problem with enforcing team rules, and it was disappointing to see the players that chose that path. Thankfully it's water under the bridge now, except for Slattery and Fidler.

I couldn't agree more. Nobody saw that coming, and those were two wins Penn State gave away. Thankfully they weren't conference games for points.

I worded it wrongly - I should have said "getting benched" changed the whole dynamic of the team for those games, rather than "benching those players". I have no problem with enforcing team rules, and it was disappointing to see the players that chose that path. Thankfully it's water under the bridge now, except for Slattery and Fidler.

At the end of the day conference or non conference, they all count to your win total.

Apparently Slattery, Fidler and Uihleen are all from the same school, I wonder how future recruits from that school feel about Penn State now?

Looking at the remaining games: RIT 2, Mercyhurst 4, Syracuse 2, Lindenwood 4, Robert Morris 2 and UNH 2.

Penn State has its work cutout to get 12 wins down the stretch but it's doable. You would have to win two in the CHA tournament to get to 20.
    Last edited by Reddington; 12-11-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Here's the Penn State article about Penn State sweeping the weekly CHA awards (first time in program history):

https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/12...ly-awards.aspx

Here's the Penn State article about Penn State sweeping the weekly CHA awards (first time in program history):

https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/12...ly-awards.aspx
    Asst coach Coomey coaching at National Winter Camp. That can only be good for recruiting.

Penn State currently has the first and second leading goal scorers in the pwhl coming in next year. Zanon first and Wallin second, however it was Wallin who scored the goal in a 1-0 win when their two teams met this past weekend. Colgate had good luck with Jesse Eldridge who led the pwhl in scoring so one can only hope.

I also noticed that Lobdell is from the same program as Shea Nelson.

One has to wonder if either Adolffson or Brenneman will be ready for next year due to the timing of their surgeries.

Penn State currently has the first and second leading goal scorers in the pwhl coming in next year. Zanon first and Wallin second, however it was Wallin who scored the goal in a 1-0 win when their two teams met this past weekend. Colgate had good luck with Jesse Eldridge who led the pwhl in scoring so one can only hope.
    I'm excited to see those two at Penn State. Kiara Zanon already has 41 points in just 19 games...that's insane.

One has to wonder if either Adolfsson or Brenneman will be ready for next year due to the timing of their surgeries.
    Well, Brenneman was already walking without a brace on her leg, and it's a long time until next season, so she looks to be on track (and she doesn't have to worry about regaining any skating speed or anything like that). Adolfsson will be the bigger worry, but I really hope she does her rehab patiently and according to doctors' orders and timing.

I'm excited to see those two at Penn State. Kiara Zanon already has 41 points in just 19 games...that's insane.
    Temper the expectations as Darcy Lappan played for Kingston and I think led the league in scoring two years ago and has six pts for Colgate as a frosh.

Another interesting note is Serdachy for Colgate and Weiss for PSU both went to the School of excellence and serdachny had 58 pts last year and Weiss had 48. Serdachny is leading Colgate in scoring and Weiss started off hot at PSU.

It seems like PSU and Colgate are tapping similar places for recruits

Well, Brenneman was already walking without a brace on her leg, and it's a long time until next season, so she looks to be on track (and she doesn't have to worry about regaining any skating speed or anything like that). Adolfsson will be the bigger worry, but I really hope she does her rehab patiently and according to doctors' orders and timing.
    You can't have enough goalies after the Lindenwood fiasco, one of the skaters actually had a 81 percent save percentage. Impressive.

You can't have enough goalies after the Lindenwood fiasco, one of the skaters actually had a 81 percent save percentage. Impressive.
    https://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster_p...bseason=641336

Quote Originally Posted by zambonidriver View Post
    This link says she's seen two games so far this season (1/3 of the starts). Is that what she can expect through the rest of the season?

I don't know if you've seen this sport before, but these guys and girls are crazy. It's not hockey, but it's skates on ice. The second run includes former UMD Bulldog women's hockey player Myriam Trepanier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lExctyytWP8

I don't know if you've seen this sport before, but these guys and girls are crazy. It's not hockey, but it's skates on ice. The second run includes former UMD Bulldog women's hockey player Myriam Trepanier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lExctyytWP8
    Former Dartmouth (and Benilde-St. Margaret's high) star is still racing on the Crashed Ice circuit. She's also won other races, including this one in St. Paul:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfKrMp9KXa8
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Former Dartmouth (and Benilde-St. Margaret's high) star is still racing on the Crashed Ice circuit. She's also won other races, including this one in St. Paul:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfKrMp9KXa8
    Man, she's one strong skater - she was flying!

Thread Information