Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Penn State Nittany Lions

Re: 2019-20 Penn State Nittany Lions

Quote Originally Posted by oggie View Post
    With all the shots they are blocking they should be scoring more goals. That tells me there either isn't the hockey sense to turn those blocked shots into chances or there is not the team speed to transition quickly enough to offense. The latter is what I saw against Wisconsin.
    Transition is an issue that I don't think will be solved this season, but it needs to be fixed. It seems to be a habit too often for the defense to stay back in their zone and think about what they want to do with the puck. Team speed for breakouts is there with Natalie Heising, Brooke Madsen, Rachel Weiss (and maybe others I'm not thinking of right now), but passes aren't going up ice to them quickly enough. Kampersal's focus may be more on controlling play than on a quick transition, if he feels he can't put together the lines he wants to be a quick transition team.

I would think the Lions would match up speed wise with the teams in their conference.
    I don't think speed is the problem, honestly, I think it's more a problem of having all the specific player styles Kampersal needs to make his systems work. There is plenty of speed and talent - it just isn't meshing, so he has to try to design things for the roster he has (obviously, as every coach has to do). I'm anxious to see what this program is doing in two years, when he's got a couple classes of his recruits here.

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Transition is an issue that I don't think will be solved this season, but it needs to be fixed. It seems to be a habit too often for the defense to stay back in their zone and think about what they want to do with the puck. Team speed for breakouts is there with Natalie Heising, Brooke Madsen, Rachel Weiss (and maybe others I'm not thinking of right now), but passes aren't going up ice to them quickly enough. Kampersal's focus may be more on controlling play than on a quick transition, if he feels he can't put together the lines he wants to be a quick transition team.

I don't think speed is the problem, honestly, I think it's more a problem of having all the specific player styles Kampersal needs to make his systems work. There is plenty of speed and talent - it just isn't meshing, so he has to try to design things for the roster he has (obviously, as every coach has to do). I'm anxious to see what this program is doing in two years, when he's got a couple classes of his recruits here.

I'll take Shay Nelson as the fastest.

It all depends on what the coach is coaching: If your d are backing up, you will play the game in your zone. If you play the game in your zone, you will have a lot of blocked shots. If you are coaching, you can't leave the defensive zone, then you are unlikely to have stretch passes.

If your d are backing up, you will have less opportunities to score because you will have less time in the offensive zone.

If you are a dump and change team, you are not playing puck possession.

If you have your d back up and you are dump and change you are playing a very defensive style.

In order to play that style, you need to have a goalie with a .95 save percentage.

Kampresal says he does not have any systems.

Does the Coach favor the low cycle like say a Robert Morris or the high cycle like the Vancouver Canucks used to play when they had the Sedins.

How can you tell? You'd have to notice does it go behind the net as a preference or up the boards back to the point.

I think hockey IQ can be taught to some players. Some players can't be taught it.

That being said all players are taught the neutral zone regroup and that does not come naturally.
    Last edited by Reddington; 11-26-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    Does the Coach favor the low cycle like say a Robert Morris or the high cycle like the Vancouver Canucks used to play when they had the Sedins.

How can you tell? You'd have to notice does it go behind the net as a preference or up the boards back to the point.
    They did start the season banging the puck off the boards behind the goalie, and trying to get a player down there either for the bounce back or at least to grab it back there to push it to someone out front. I saw a lot of that. I don't know if that's pushed as much anymore. Plays may start there with that intention, but they often come back out to the point, too, and then it becomes a deflection attempt.

They did start the season banging the puck off the boards behind the goalie, and trying to get a player down there either for the bounce back or at least to grab it back there to push it to someone out front. I saw a lot of that. I don't know if that's pushed as much anymore. Plays may start there with that intention, but they often come back out to the point, too, and then it becomes a deflection attempt.
    Kampresal will have Penn State ready for Vermont. The unpredictableness of his style is befuddling to a team that they have not played in awhile.

Kampersal will have Penn State ready for Vermont. The unpredictableness of his style is befuddling to a team that they have not played in awhile.
    It would be nice to see Penn State beat somebody by a good margin, that's for sure. Hopefully, that's Vermont in this weekend's Windjammer Classic. Obviously, Clarkson is by far the favorite to win it all on Saturday. I don't know anything about Mankato, but I don't see them, Vermont, or Penn State touching Clarkson.

It would be nice to see Penn State beat somebody by a good margin, that's for sure. Hopefully, that's Vermont in this weekend's Windjammer Classic. Obviously, Clarkson is by far the favorite to win it all on Saturday. I don't know anything about Mankato, but I don't see them, Vermont, or Penn State touching Clarkson.
    Lindenwood tied Clarkson. You just never know. Penn State seems to play better on the road. Vermont seems to be improved.

Lindenwood tied Clarkson. You just never know. Penn State seems to play better on the road. Vermont seems to be improved.
    Don't go to sleep on Mankato...their goalie is very good and have some young talent

Quote Originally Posted by mnwis View Post
    Don't go to sleep on Mankato...their goalie is very good and have some young talent
    Right now Penn State can't sleep on anyone. Scoring slumps end at some point though.

The Penn State weekend preview for the Windjammer Classic tournament in Vermont: https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/11...r-classic.aspx

Penn State plays its first game on Friday at 4:00 PM (Eastern) against Vermont.

It's game day for Penn State (4:00 PM Eastern), so here are the video and live stat links. A subscription to College Sports Live is required for the video.

Live Stats: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/vermont/

Live Video: https://www.collegesportslive.com/vi...te-vs-vermont/

[QUOTE=ZedLeppelin;6872190]It's game day for Penn State (4:00 PM Eastern), so here are the video and live stat links. A subscription to College Sports Live is required for the video.

Live Stats: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/vermont/

Live Video: https://www.collegesportslive.com/vi...te-vs-vermont/[/QUOTE

Finally. 4-0 win.

Finally. 4-0 win.
    And I don't even care that it's Vermont - I'll take the 4-0 win. Clarkson also won 4-0, over Mankato, so tomorrow it's Penn State and Clarkson for the trophy.

Two goals from senior Abby Welch, and a goal each from junior Katie Rankin and freshman Julie Gough, and three assists from freshman Mallory Uihlein and a +4 finish. That's really good to see.

Today's game was on College Sports Live, but it was free to watch, so maybe tomorrow's game will be free, too.

Windjammer Classic tournament free video streams (yesterday replays and today):

Mankato vs Clarkson (yesterday):
    https://www.collegesportslive.com/vi...e-vs-clarkson/

Penn State vs Vermont (yesterday):
    https://www.collegesportslive.com/vi...te-vs-vermont/

Mankato vs Vermont consolation game (today at 1:00 Eastern):
    https://www.collegesportslive.com/vi...solation-game/

Penn State vs Clarkson championship game (today at 4:00 Eastern):
    https://www.collegesportslive.com/vi...on-vs-vermont/

Live stats for today's championship game against Clarkson will be here:
    https://portal.stretchinternet.com/vermont/

An interesting note from yesterday - the top line didn't have a Heising on it. She was moved down to the second line with Katie Rankin and Katie McMillan, still a good pairing. The top line was Brooke Madsen, Shea Nelson, and Rachel Weiss. And then the third line ends up doing most of the scoring...go figure. Sophomore defender Jessica Adolfsson was a scratch, so her injury must have been pretty solid, and I like that Jeff Kampersal saved her from this trip to Vermont so she's ready for RIT at Penn State next weekend.

Windjammer Classic tournament free video streams (yesterday replays and today):

Mankato vs Clarkson (yesterday):
    https://www.collegesportslive.com/vi...e-vs-clarkson/

Penn State vs Vermont (yesterday):
    https://www.collegesportslive.com/vi...te-vs-vermont/

Mankato vs Vermont consolation game (today at 1:00 Eastern):
    https://www.collegesportslive.com/vi...solation-game/

Penn State vs Clarkson championship game (today at 4:00 Eastern):
    https://www.collegesportslive.com/vi...on-vs-vermont/

Live stats for today's championship game against Clarkson will be here:
    https://portal.stretchinternet.com/vermont/

An interesting note from yesterday - the top line didn't have a Heising on it. She was moved down to the second line with Katie Rankin and Katie McMillan, still a good pairing. The top line was Brooke Madsen, Shea Nelson, and Rachel Weiss. And then the third line ends up doing most of the scoring...go figure. Sophomore defender Jessica Adolfsson was a scratch, so her injury must have been pretty solid, and I like that Jeff Kampersal saved her from this trip to Vermont so she's ready for RIT at Penn State next weekend.

I watched the game and the following started:
    McMillan, Rankin, Heising, Gangarosa and Hemninger.

As far as Adolffson, Penn State is scant with injury details so who knows.

The Welch line had three of four goals.

Burke looked good.

I watched the game and the following started:
    McMillan, Rankin, Heising, Gangarosa and Hemninger.
    I took a quick look at the video and saw that, too - the starters didn't match the lineup sheet Penn State put out on Twitter. I guess when they release a lineup sheet you can take it with a grain of salt.

Clarkson beats Penn State 3-1 for the Windjammer Classic trophy in a game that was very close at the end. Penn State had some great chances to tie it up in the last two minutes of the third period, but Clarkson scored an empty-netter with 7 seconds left in the game. The scorers gave the lone Penn State goal to Mallory Uihlein, but the players on the ice put Shea Nelson at the front of the glove taps, so I'm going to say Nelson got the deflection for the goal (the announcer thought so, too). I'm sure a lot of people were expecting a blowout by Clarkson, but Penn State had a good showing today against a good Clarkson team. Maybe things are starting to gel, finally.

Mallory Uihlein was named to the all-tournament team.

Next weekend it's back at home for Penn State when they face off against RIT.

Clarkson beats Penn State 3-1 for the Windjammer Classic trophy in a game that was very close at the end. Penn State had some great chances to tie it up in the last two minutes of the third period, but Clarkson scored an empty-netter with 7 seconds left in the game. The scorers gave the lone Penn State goal to Mallory Uihlein, but the players on the ice put Shea Nelson at the front of the glove taps, so I'm going to say Nelson got the deflection for the goal (the announcer thought so, too). I'm sure a lot of people were expecting a blowout by Clarkson, but Penn State had a good showing today against a good Clarkson team. Maybe things are starting to gel, finally.

Mallory Uihlein was named to the all-tournament team.

Next weekend it's back at home for Penn State when they face off against RIT.
    Penn State looked like the better team until Clarkson scored the first goal and then Penn State seemed to tread water.

I think you are right on Nelson. Penn State just missed tying it up with two left but Goalie had a great save on a rush.

At what point do you stop rolling? I looked at clock with 458 and the rolling was still going on. I absolutely agree with that against Vermont and game one of a series but ...

Hard to believe St Lawrence giving Robert Morris problems this weekend when Vermont did well against St Lawrence.

It's all tough to figure out. Lol.
    Last edited by Reddington; 11-30-2019 at 07:27 PM.

At what point do you stop rolling? I looked at clock with 458 and the rolling was still going on. I absolutely agree with that against Vermont and game one of a series but ....
    I would think you shorten the bench late in a tournament championship game, with it being as close as this game was. Like you said, in game one against a Vermont, roll on, but the last few minutes of this championship game had Penn State so close to tying things up, and that's when I would think a coach sends his top players out to empty their tanks.

Here's the Penn State game recap:
    https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/11...-clarkson.aspx

And a video of a few great saves from Chantal Burke, but watch the second one especially (on the breakaway chance for Clarkson). Burke doesn't even flinch and shuts her down:
    https://twitter.com/PennStateWHKY/st...51165296500737

Thread Information