Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Penn State Nittany Lions

Re: 2019-20 Penn State Nittany Lions

Penn State, Clarkson, Minn St and Vermont in the Windjammer Classic this coming season. Times and Opponents TBD
    Last edited by vicb; 05-08-2019 at 09:19 PM.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    And of 2 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray and Loren Gabel
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

Quote Originally Posted by Goodwrench View Post
    The superstar will not be a backup. Dad will transfer her in a heartbeat.
    Now that is funny. by the way anyone see the camp lists for what goalies are in or out for the National camps? one of the top goalies in the Universe is not on the list.

Kelsey Crow was named to the 2018-19 NCAA Division I Google Cloud Academic All-District At-Large Team as announced by CoSIDA this afternoon.

From the article: "Crow is a three-time CHA All-Academic Team member, a two-time All-Big Ten Academic Team honoree, a two-time AHCA Academic All American, and a Big Ten Distinguished Scholar. She graduated with a 3.94 GPA with degrees in biology and psychology and will enroll in medical school at the University of Minnesota this fall."

https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/5/...ct-honors.aspx

I love seeing Penn State heading to Wisconsin the first week of October! I absolutely hate games against cupcake teams. I'd much rather see Penn State pound it out against the very best teams they can schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    I love seeing Penn State heading to Wisconsin the first week of October! I absolutely hate games against cupcake teams. I'd much rather see Penn State pound it out against the very best teams they can schedule.
    This is definitely not the path I would go in a contract year, but he is the Princeton grad and I am not. Lol.

Having Wisconsin and potentially Clarkson on the schedule is setting the bar high. Brandewene went down this path before starting with Minnesota one year.

Thankfully, Penn State has Brenneman one more year and all d are returning minus Crowe.

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    True, but I didn't claim that they were. I'm not sure that there are that many typical examples. Even some that we think from the outside are typical, aren't all that typical once you know the particulars. Schammel transferring to UM from MSU seems like it would be, but it is kind of odd when the suggestion comes from her MSU coach. Someone like Reilly may be more typical, but having spoken to the original PSU coach, I was kind of surprised that more people didn't want to transfer.
    (I'm quoting your post here so I don't get off-topic on the "2019 Transfers" thread).

I'm surprised Caitlin Reilly even showed up at Penn State, coming from such a Gopher-first family, so her going back home wasn't a huge shock. Disappointing, for sure, as she would've been a standout at Penn State had she stayed here.

As you said, though, it does seem surprising that more players didn't transfer just to get a new coach. He had fans wanting to transfer I'm sure you remember the group of players who tried to make a coaching change here, and how far that went for them. I think most (if not all) of the original players who started the Penn State D-1 program with him were drawn by the degree much more than the coach, and were willing to put up with him knowing they would leave with a Penn State degree.

Another award for Penn State graduate Kelsey Crow - this time, she's been honored with a Big Ten Outstanding Sportsmanship award.

https://bigten.org/news/2019/6/5/gen...d-winners.aspx

If you're in the area and want to go to an NHL preseason game, Penn State is again hosting the Pittsburgh Penguins and Buffalo Sabres at Pegula Ice Arena on September 16 at 7:00 PM.

https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/6/...ey-valley.aspx

Penn State has added two new faces to the coaching staff:

https://twitter.com/PennStateWHKY/st...98388160323589

Penn State has announced its 2019-20 schedule:

https://gopsusports.com/schedule.aspx?path=whockey

Looking at the Penn State 2019-20 schedule, nothing jumps out as being a crazy challenge, other than obviously the Wisconsin series October 4-5 at Wisconsin, as well as the Windjammer Classic at Thanksgiving. As with pretty much every season, the biggest challenge will again be the in-conference CHA schedule, where nothing ever seems to be hammered out until tournament time. Penn State needs to figure out its CHA opponents and start being a real force in the conference, way before tournament time.

Penn State only lost three seniors to graduation, with the biggest slot to fill being that left by Kelsey Crow on defense. They didn't lose any substantial offensive production, so that's good news. Incoming freshmen are a forward, a defender, and a two-way player - one signed incoming freshman (Mikayla Lantto) isn't on the 2019-20 roster (https://gopsusports.com/roster.aspx?...8&path=whockey), but I don't know what happened with her. The freshman defender is Mallory Uihlein (Edina, MN), who comes in with a strong background and is highly rated.

All in all, the 2019-20 Penn State team returns largely intact.

[QUOTE=ZedLeppelin;6816512]Looking at the Penn State 2019-20 schedule, nothing jumps out as being a crazy challenge, other than obviously the Wisconsin series October 4-5 at Wisconsin, as well as the Windjammer Classic at Thanksgiving. As with pretty much every season, the biggest challenge will again be the in-conference CHA schedule, where nothing ever seems to be hammered out until tournament time. Penn State needs to figure out its CHA opponents and start being a real force in the conference, way before tournament time.

Penn State only lost three seniors to graduation, with the biggest slot to fill being that left by Kelsey Crow on defense. They didn't lose any substantial offensive production, so that's good news. Incoming freshmen are a forward, a defender, and a two-way player - one signed incoming freshman (Mikayla Lantto) isn't on the 2019-20 roster (https://gopsusports.com/roster.aspx?...8&path=whockey), but I don't know what happened with her. The freshman defender is Mallory Uihlein (Edina, MN), who comes in with a strong background and is highly rated.

All in all, the 2019-20 Penn State team returns largely intact.[/QUOT

Great info as always.

Do You Believe in Miracles? YES!!!

Since I live just across the lake from Vermont, I may have to attend the tournament at UVM. I remember attending the women's first ever varsity game, which was played at Gutterson Fieldhouse!
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    Great info as always.
    Thanks, Reddington - what do you think about the 2019-20 schedule, considering that Penn State's roster will be fairly unchanged from last season?

Quote Originally Posted by spwood View Post
    Since I live just across the lake from Vermont, I may have to attend the tournament at UVM. I remember attending the women's first ever varsity game, which was played at Gutterson Fieldhouse!
    Vermont has one of my favorite game announcers. He sounds like he actually does some pregame research, so he's not tripping over names the whole game and has some idea about the team Vermont is facing. He's one of the good ones, for sure.

81 days until the 2019-20 season starts with a single exhibition game on September 21 at home against the Durham West Junior Lightning of the PWHL. Incoming Penn State freshman Julie Gough will have just graduated from there, so it should be a fun game for her. The regular season starts the following weekend against Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts.

A rehash look at the incoming freshmen:

-- Mallory Uihlein's Edina High School team just won its third-straight Minnesota AA state championship, and Uihlein was named to the all-tournament team. Penn State's defense is intact minus Kelsey Crow, and will be in good shape if Uihlein shows up ready to be a D-1 defender. She should be one to watch.
    -- Rachel Weiss's team just won its second-consecutive Canadian Sport School Hockey League division championship after an undefeated season, its third straight season in the division championship game.
    -- Julie Gough was the MVP of her high school co-ed hockey team in both 2016 and 2017, where she was a multi-sport athlete. She was an alternate captain on her PWHL team this season. She plays both ends of the ice, so Kampersal will have options for using her at Penn State.

The 2019-20 Penn State defense is young, but they were solid last season and could be a great group this season.

Scoring is the biggest hurdle for Penn State to clear. They tied nine games last season, and lost eight games by a single goal. That's too many games coming up short by a goal or two. It was fun to watch them last season with a whole new level of energy and aggression in front of the opposing net, and hopefully they turn that effort up a notch this season and get better rewarded for it.

I hate the off-season.

[QUOTE=ZedLeppelin;6816930]Thanks, Reddington - what do you think about the 2019-20 schedule, considering that Penn State's roster will be fairly unchanged from last season?

Vermont has one of my favorite game announcers. He sounds like he actually does some pregame research, so he's not tripping over names the whole game and has some idea about the team Vermont is facing. He's one of the good ones, for sure.[/QUOT

What do I think about the schedule? All of a sudden it looks like a schedule for a coach in a contract year. I expected the reciprocal games for Colgate to be on the schedule, so I am not sure what happened there. Penn State should be able to produce a winning record.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    What do I think about the schedule? All of a sudden it looks like a schedule for a coach in a contract year. I expected the reciprocal games for Colgate to be on the schedule, so I am not sure what happened there. Penn State should be able to produce a winning record.
    I agree about a reciprocal series with Colgate - I thought we'd be seeing them coming to Penn State this season. I'm surprised Kampersal didn't find a spot to squeeze in another Princeton game, too...I thought that would be a regular thing for a few seasons.

I guess I can understand a coach in a contract year not wanting to take on too many Wisconsins or Minnesotas, but I would've really liked to see Penn State at least take on some bigger eastern programs. None of the out-of-conference losses last year ended up being blowouts, and nobody hammered Penn State any worse than their CHA opponents, so it's not like they can't play whoever shows up on the schedule. But I get it.

With the CHA tournament being automatic for all six teams, the regular season record doesn't really matter in the end anyway, except for tournament seeding, so playing the best out-of-conference teams possible in the regular season shouldn't matter (except to an AD who doesn't realize that). The CHA tournament seed wouldn't matter, either, if the CHA didn't have their goofy tournament schedule in place...ugh. Not even going to start on that one.

I agree about a reciprocal series with Colgate - I thought we'd be seeing them coming to Penn State this season. I'm surprised Kampersal didn't find a spot to squeeze in another Princeton game, too...I thought that would be a regular thing for a few seasons.

I guess I can understand a coach in a contract year not wanting to take on too many Wisconsins or Minnesotas, but I would've really liked to see Penn State at least take on some bigger eastern programs. None of the out-of-conference losses last year ended up being blowouts, and nobody hammered Penn State any worse than their CHA opponents, so it's not like they can't play whoever shows up on the schedule. But I get it.

With the CHA tournament being automatic for all six teams, the regular season record doesn't really matter in the end anyway, except for tournament seeding, so playing the best out-of-conference teams possible in the regular season shouldn't matter (except to an AD who doesn't realize that). The CHA tournament seed wouldn't matter, either, if the CHA didn't have their goofy tournament schedule in place...ugh. Not even going to start on that one.
    Interesting seeing the team schedules come out. RIT is set up to have a winning non conference record potentially. Meanwhile RMU has a monster non conference sched this year - Minnesota, Clarkson, Cornell, Wisconsin (1 game), and 1 of NU/Colgate (1 game), plus SLU, and Union. There appears to be a stratifying of teams played, almost. No objection, just interesting to see. I hope the Mercyhurst sched comes out soon.

Will the Penn State freshmen be Kampersal recruits yet? Not clear to me how long that takes to roll over for a new coach. As others have said, his team is impressive defensively but really struggles on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Interesting seeing the team schedules come out. RIT is set up to have a winning non conference record potentially. Meanwhile RMU has a monster non conference sched this year - Minnesota, Clarkson, Cornell, Wisconsin (1 game), and 1 of NU/Colgate (1 game), plus SLU, and Union. There appears to be a stratifying of teams played, almost. No objection, just interesting to see. I hope the Mercyhurst sched comes out soon.
    RIT scheduled LIU-Brooklyn, Sacred Heart, and Brown...wow. They must be approaching 2019-20 as a confidence building season. Robert Morris went the complete opposite direction with their out-of-conference games, definitely - that's a tough one! Do you have a feel for what Mercyhurst may want to do with their out-of-conference play this season? Do you expect them to go after the bigger teams, or go on cruise control like RIT is doing?

Will the Penn State freshmen be Kampersal recruits yet? Not clear to me how long that takes to roll over for a new coach. As others have said, his team is impressive defensively but really struggles on offense.
    According to the dates listed on collegehockeycommits (https://collegecommitments.com/Commi...x?x7cq9=FEMALE), and I'm just assuming they are the commitment dates, Mallory Uihlein committed in October 2016, Julie Gough in November 2016, and Rachel Weiss in December 2017, so only Weiss committed after Jeff Kampersal took over at Penn State in June of 2017. Brandwene got his walking papers in January of 2017, so he was done recruiting before that. This year's seniors are the last class that had any association with Brandwene, for half a season.
    Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 07-06-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Do you have a feel for what Mercyhurst may want to do with their out-of-conference play this season? n.
    Zed, thanks for the explanation re the Penn state commits. I always forget about that website.

As for Hurst, once I saw they didn’t have Wisconsin, Minnesota (2 best teams in the country) or Ohio State in their schedule (who has always played Hurst very hard) it was clear the schedule would be “easier” this year. Every win is hard fought for at the D1 level so it will still be a challenge no matter what of course.

So far from other schedules released Hurst has Union, Colgate, St Cloud and an ice breaker vs UConn/UMD/Colgate. I wouldn’t be surprised if they play Cornell again. They seem to play each other frequently. It would be fun to see the team venture out to play another Ivy League team or Hockey East team. I know it’s about hockey but I also think getting to play in a ton of different rinks and (very briefly) see the campuses and towns is a lot of fun too.

Thread Information