Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 950

Thread: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

  1. #101
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,334

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    This.

    "Conferences" are BS constructs. When an objective metric exists (say, the KRACH or the PW), just employ it across the board. That rewards merit.

    And, to your other argument, do the hockey tournaments even make a dime these days?
    Without conferences, tournaments and autobids 1/3 of the teams in existence fold. When those teams fold we go back to a 12 (or 8) team tournament. Or we just follow the European football method and don't have any playoffs and just award a winner at the end of the season. St Cloud are the champions. No need to play any further games.

  2. #102
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,702

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    Yes, I got your point and I agree. But I told you...$$$$ always wins.
    So the british still own us?

  3. #103
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,334

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    So the british still own us?
    That would be

  4. #104
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,333

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Without conferences, tournaments and autobids 1/3 of the teams in existence fold. When those teams fold we go back to a 12 (or 8) team tournament. Or we just follow the European football method and don't have any playoffs and just award a winner at the end of the season. St Cloud are the champions. No need to play any further games.
    Missed my point.

    Keep the conferences intact for now, even play the conference-tournaments if you like, but only for the sake of a little more comparative data to throw into the pot. (And if this system winnows-out the Bentleys and Huntsvilles of the world, who really cares?)

    I'm all for a National tournament, though, but select that field on the basis of objective data, irrespective of conference affiliation.

    Makes perfect sense. And it'll never happen.

  5. #105
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    4,255

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Without conferences, tournaments and autobids 1/3 of the teams in existence fold. When those teams fold we go back to a 12 (or 8) team tournament. Or we just follow the European football method and don't have any playoffs and just award a winner at the end of the season. St Cloud are the champions. No need to play any further games.
    Whoa there, tiger. I didn't say "all or nothing." And if they "fold," well then doesn't that prove my point? Why do you think they "fold?" They can't allocate or generate the money for the program. Sorry, I hate that "sky is falling" approach. Baseball has, what? 31 of 32 teams in the "playoffs" now? A ONE-GAME elimination after a 162 game schedule? And if you followed the argument, MY team is the one that stands to benefit (and they aren't even at .500 yet), just like last year when they won the HE tournament to get to the NCAAs. So there's no bias. Of course I'm going to cheer for my team, because the system is the system and they're there. But he's right...it's embarrassing for a sixth place team to make it. Of course, you would say "That's GREAT for the sport...all the excitement and pageantry" (just like Chris Schenkel). Fine. Whatever. Besides, it's not as applicable in hockey. My REAL point was I just don't feel that the 85th place team in an 86 team league deserves to go to the tournament over a team who finished second in their conference because they lost one game by one point in OT. You play against your competition. Period. If you LOSE a lot of games, I'm not buying the "but we were in the toughest league" argument. So what? That also means you probably had more TV exposure and could recruit better players. It's all relative. We're never going to agree on this one...

  6. #106
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,702

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    Whoa there, tiger. I didn't say "all or nothing." And if they "fold," well then doesn't that prove my point? Why do you think they "fold?" They can't allocate or generate the money for the program. Sorry, I hate that "sky is falling" approach. Baseball has, what? 31 of 32 teams in the "playoffs" now? A ONE-GAME elimination after a 162 game schedule? And if you followed the argument, MY team is the one that stands to benefit (and they aren't even at .500 yet), just like last year when they won the HE tournament to get to the NCAAs. So there's no bias. Of course I'm going to cheer for my team, because the system is the system and they're there. But he's right...it's embarrassing for a sixth place team to make it. Of course, you would say "That's GREAT for the sport...all the excitement and pageantry" (just like Chris Schenkel). Fine. Whatever. Besides, it's not as applicable in hockey. My REAL point was I just don't feel that the 85th place team in an 86 team league deserves to go to the tournament over a team who finished second in their conference because they lost one game by one point in OT. You play against your competition. Period. If you LOSE a lot of games, I'm not buying the "but we were in the toughest league" argument. So what? That also means you probably had more TV exposure and could recruit better players. It's all relative. We're never going to agree on this one...
    I don't think it is embarrassing at all for teams that make it. They've had time to tinker on it. So be it. Let's get to racing and rubbing is rubbing.

    My problem is our crew chief isn't putting in the work required on the off season to where we are competitive at all. Seems like it takes a half season for him to get his car to run right. Might win a race our two. But is nowhere near getting into the cup race.


  7. #107
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,334

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    My problem is our crew chief isn't putting in the work required on the off season to where we are competitive at all. Seems like it takes a half season for him to get his car to run right. Might win a race our two. But is nowhere near getting into the cup race.
    October 12-21-7 0.388
    November 16-26-2 0.386
    December 12-9-5 0.558
    January 22-18-7 0.543
    Feb/March 20-41-4 0.338

  8. #108
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,702

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    October 12-21-7 0.388
    November 16-26-2 0.386
    December 12-9-5 0.558
    January 22-18-7 0.543
    Feb/March 20-41-4 0.338
    Seems like you love to prove my point. 🤔

  9. #109
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,334

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    Seems like you love to prove my point. 🤔
    Just supplying the pertinent information.

  10. #110
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,702

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    https://youtu.be/ngw9ESJJH-k

    Focus on 32 second mark. And ask yourself if he could have done more.

    Then look at the blocked shots NU had.

    Then you can realize one team stresses defense, and the other doesn't.
    Kirby... I am calling on you. Pretend I am a prof and give me a three page essay how your prof is wrong.

  11. #111
    University of Maine Class of 2020
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Just supplying the pertinent information.
    So the routine of "slow start to the season, good middle/end and implode in the playoffs" has been a trend for Red? Not great for him if he's trying to tout the season as progress

  12. #112
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,702

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    So the routine of "slow start to the season, good middle/end and implode in the playoffs" has been a trend for Red? Not great for him if he's trying to tout the season as progress
    Go click on that link and tell me with a straight face Michel couldn't have blocked that shot.

  13. #113
    University of Maine Class of 2020
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    Go click on that link and tell me with a straight face Michel couldn't have blocked that shot.
    He probably could have gotten in front of that shot, but one bad defensive play dosent disprove my point.

  14. #114
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,702

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Red is in charge of our defense. Defense has let us down.

    Look there is a reason Sirota looks like our best D. He hasn't been given time for Red to screw his marbles.

    Need a defensive minded head coach to match horse power in net and on the lines.

    Period.

    Done with the f up giveaways that are buried. Done with suck in too hard and let them in on goalie alone. Done with no net front protection.

  15. #115
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,702

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    He probably could have gotten in front of that shot, but one bad defensive play dosent disprove my point.
    No, but one bad play might have been the difference of us playing Sunday or not.

  16. #116
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,702

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    He probably could have gotten in front of that shot, but one bad defensive play dosent disprove my point.
    Now once you understand one little play difference, understand other teams have been trained this much. Or do you think it was an accident Pearson was goaded by a no name on a match?

  17. #117
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,333

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    Red is in charge of our defense. Defense has let us down.

    Look there is a reason Sirota looks like our best D. He hasn't been given time for Red to screw his marbles.

    Need a defensive minded head coach to match horse power in net and on the lines.

    Period.

    Done with the f up giveaways that are buried. Done with suck in too hard and let them in on goalie alone. Done with no net front protection.
    Well the D hasn't been great, but Maine scored 2 goals over the weekend, while allowing only 4... Sure seems that the utter lack of offensive talent was the issue there.

  18. #118
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,702

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Well the D hasn't been great, but Maine scored 2 goals over the weekend, while allowing only 4... Sure seems that the utter lack of offensive talent was the issue there.
    Did you watch the games?

  19. #119
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,702

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    If you put Maine's offense in front of NU defense... there would be a complete walk off for a national championship team.

  20. #120
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,702

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    That Davies gets so low like another forward. Then backchecks and beats his own team back. He would be the smallest d man on our squad, but he fights harder than our biggest d man. Looks to me like their version of Metcalf. Win at all costs.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •