X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Originally posted by amc View Post
    also southern maine is the economic driver of the state. The tiny towns in aroostook county can all have their own high school because of a wealth transfer of southern maine's tax dollars. Then northern mainers ***** that portland spends too much money on social services.
    Amen!!!
    Last edited by umhockey91; 04-29-2019, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
      Yup....no Electoral College in Maine......individual votes actually count!
      You think the only thing people vote on is presidential elections. Probably natural for you to think this way since the president has Maine’s well being in his frontal lobe.

Comment

From what I've seen years before Politics and Maine Hockey were something Mainers took pride in...…………..and didn't like to lose at.

Comment

I don't blame the kid for going to BC. Not sure how good he is but a Business Degree from BC is going to open a few more doors than a business degree from UMaine
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
            Yup....no Electoral College in Maine......individual votes actually count!
            The EC exists in all States, but Maine parses the votes better than most.

Still, I agree with the core of your post (one person, one vote, across the board).

A Red vote doesn't count in NY any more than a Blue vote count counts in Wyoming, yet one Wyoming vote counts for nearly 3 CA votes.

The winner-take-all-thing isn't about democracy; it's about the Pols working the status-quo to their (possible) benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              They undoubtedly knew about him and scouted him, but he might have had his mind set on a certain caliber school and Maine was never in the mix.
              Agree. I also suspect that BC offered him more than what Maine could have offered. Several years ago Tim recruited J.D. Dudek heavily. He ended up going to BC because Maine couldn't match what BC was offering at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                The EC exists in all States, but Maine parses the votes better than most.

Still, I agree with the core of your post (one person, one vote, across the board).

A Red vote doesn't count in NY any more than a Blue vote count counts in Wyoming, yet one Wyoming vote counts for nearly 3 CA votes.

The winner-take-all-thing isn't about democracy; it's about the Pols working the status-quo to their (possible) benefit.
                In case you never took history, we are not a democracy. We are a representative republic. If you don't understand the difference look it up...

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                  Agree. I also suspect that BC offered him more than what Maine could have offered. Several years ago Tim recruited J.D. Dudek heavily. He ended up going to BC because Maine couldn't match what BC was offering at the time.
                  What do you mean BC offered him more?? All HEA schools get the same amount of scholarships, there is nothing else a school can offer an athlete? Maybe it was the vast differences in facilities between the two schools?

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernFriar View Post
                    What do you mean BC offered him more?? All HEA schools get the same amount of scholarships, there is nothing else a school can offer an athlete? Maybe it was the vast differences in facilities between the two schools?
                    I believe hockey can offer partials up to the equivalent of 18 total scholarships. FBS football and basketball are the only sports that do not permit scholarships to be split.

Comment

You can give partial schollies, you can give the full scholarship and you can also guarantee multiple years (though this is rare). One recruit demanded a four-year free ride from Shawn and he laughed the kid right off campus.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernFriar View Post
                        I don't remember the exact details at this point. I suspect a partial scholarship may well have been one of the issues.

Comment

Schools can now offer more as part of the total cost of attendance, which includes meals, books and travel.

Sean
                          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                          BU Hockey highlights and extras
                          NCAA Hockey Financials
                          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                            Schools can now offer more as part of the total cost of attendance, which includes meals, books and travel.

Sean
                            That was it. Books and I think perhaps meals is what BC was able to offer over Maine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                              That was it. Books and I think perhaps meals is what BC was able to offer over Maine.
                              Do we know Maine isn't competitive with these others benefits? (Im saying benefit but not sure what it is other than part of the scholarship package) Or assuming?

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                                Do we know Maine isn't competitive with these others benefits? (Im saying benefit but not sure what it is other than part of the scholarship package) Or assuming?
                                It’s a stipend

Been in place few years now ND was in league when implemented. At time I thought HEA was equally divided whether they would provide—beside ND UConn, BC, UMass, PC for sure implemented.

https://www.uscho.com/from-the-press-box/2015/07/28/with-cost-of-attendance-stipend-in-place-in-some-places-we-wait-to-see-impact/
                                Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Working...
                                X