Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    It's certainly possible that Maine could go 3-1, too. Even 4-0, if the cards fall right.

I wouldn't count this Maine team out before the fact. The FBS teams they face are not juggernauts by any means. And Colgate away is a winnable game.
    You can't count on it though. You can't schedule FBS games with the expectation that you will win and thus can go 5-3 in the CAA. Georgia Southern won 10 games last year. Liberty was .500. Last year Maine lost to 3-8 Central Michigan and beat 3-9 WKU. Both Liberty and GSU are better than that. If Maine beats Colgate, 5-3 in the conference LIKELY gets a bid, but not guaranteed.

Never Forget!

Maine will play at Chestnut Hill 1/24-25.

University of Maine Class of 2020

Maine is headed to Matthews in November the weekend before the Huskies leave for Belfast, and Northeastern will journey north for one game in between Beanpot rounds in February.

lol. In case there are other die hard pats fans at this slow time of the year. Francisí greatest moments...
    https://youtu.be/NCW3GUxhLAM

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    You can't count on it though. You can't schedule FBS games with the expectation that you will win and thus can go 5-3 in the CAA. Georgia Southern won 10 games last year. Liberty was .500. Last year Maine lost to 3-8 Central Michigan and beat 3-9 WKU. Both Liberty and GSU are better than that. If Maine beats Colgate, 5-3 in the conference LIKELY gets a bid, but not guaranteed.
    The FCS selection process generally seems to discount the cash-cow FBS games, barring eye-popping upsets by the FCS teams.

No telling if Maine will play as well as they did last year, but if they do, neither Liberty nor GSU are going to be too steep a cliff to climb, IMO.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 06-11-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Ice is going back into Alfond!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMike View Post
    Ice is going back into Alfond!
    Looks better than last year's ice so far, at least from the photo I saw

Black Bear since D-2

I'm a (half-hearted) Bruins fan lately, but the Blues deserved this series. Binnington was so much better than Rask tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    I'm a (half-hearted) Bruins fan lately, but the Blues deserved this series. Binnington was so much better than Rask tonight.
    They smothered Boston all night long...Binnington was difference in the 1st period and as you say all game long...but even though not a Boston fan I really think that Rask was the MVP of the Stanley Cup playoffs....not that it would be of any concern as we all know that a Championship is better then a MVP award, but he was outstanding for the team and I just think he was the best player from all the teams in the Stanley Cup playoffs.....with that said waiting to see when Maine's Hockey schedule comes out in official form.....

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Long time Maine fan and sometimes Goal Judge John Gabarra was killed in a car accident last weekend. John was a heck of a nice guy, worked for Bangor Hydro/Emera for many years and was at most every home game for years. He used to post here during the glory days of USCHO. I believe he used to Ref High School games. It appears the guy that hit his car was drunk. Johns Wife was driving and got life flighted to the hospital, another passenger was also hurt. Last time I talked to John he was close to retirement.................. worked his whole life for some ******* to run a stop sign , drunk.

https://www.sunjournal.com/2019/06/1...Xyg8ToqxWoohVg
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Long time Maine fan and sometimes Goal Judge John Gabarra was killed in a car accident last weekend. John was a heck of a nice guy, worked for Bangor Hydro/Emera for many years and was at most every home game for years. He used to post here during the glory days of USCHO. I believe he used to Ref High School games. It appears the guy that hit his car was drunk. Johns Wife was driving and got life flighted to the hospital, another passenger was also hurt. Last time I talked to John he was close to retirement.................. worked his whole life for some ******* to run a stop sign , drunk.

Absolutely horrible. Thanks for posting and may he Rest In Peace.

Was e-mailed about this by a friend through hockey...awful news.

John was a smiling face and he and his wife friends of ours for years. It's devastating news and we are heartbroken. John was dedicated to U.Maine and not only was he a goal judge back in the day he also was on the chain gang for football games. Last time I saw him was in the Alfond, and yes he talked about being close to retirement and looking forward to spending more time at his cottage. Senseless loss, I know the next time we are up for a game I am really going to miss seeing him. Thanks for posting, the hockey community should know about his loss and his dedication over the years.
    Last edited by BobF; 06-19-2019 at 12:02 PM.

I am sorry to hear this. My condolences to his family and friends.

Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH

Condolences to all who knew him...very sorry for your loss.
    Let's Go SouzaCats!

The Black Bears will head to the Mullins Center to take on the Minutemen the 6th and 7th of December.

Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    The Black Bears will head to the Mullins Center to take on the Minutemen the 6th and 7th of December.
    Slowly but surely the pieces are getting in place...have known the home dates or what has been thought to be...just trying to put the teams in the slots....hopefully a official schedule will be out soon [like the end of June..?] THANKS 4 the info..!

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Ramon Jefferson leaves football team
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Black Bear since D-2

Well that sucks.

Saw article in the Bangor Daily News...he stated he wanted a "FRESH START"...I wonder if the incident he pleaded to had anything to do with it? Had he stayed would he have been suspended by the University and or the Football team? He paid his fine and paid for the damage....just wondering if he would have been suspended.

Thread Information