Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 760 of 1001

Thread: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

  1. #741
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,342

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Which means they'll be 5-6...
    They won't sneak up on anyone this year...but they do have the talent to be a good team...will that translate in a winning team, hard to say...I know last year that if they factor in the close games that could have gone the other way....well that's football. My guess is that they have to keep Ferguson heathy all season long...and how they adapt to a New Head Coach...I would think there is a lot of optimism at Maine for the upcoming season.

  2. #742
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,976

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    They won't sneak up on anyone this year...but they do have the talent to be a good team...will that translate in a winning team, hard to say...I know last year that if they factor in the close games that could have gone the other way....well that's football. My guess is that they have to keep Ferguson heathy all season long...and how they adapt to a New Head Coach...I would think there is a lot of optimism at Maine for the upcoming season.
    I'm cautiously optimistic. They return a bunch of key players and recruited well, and they have 5 home games this year!

    We're going to ticket-up for at least 2 away games this season, maybe more. It's a fun change of pace to travel for football.

  3. #743
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,342

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic. They return a bunch of key players and recruited well, and they have 5 home games this year!

    We're going to ticket-up for at least 2 away games this season, maybe more. It's a fun change of pace to travel for football.
    I hear you on the cautiously optimistic part.

  4. #744
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,976

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    I hear you on the cautiously optimistic part.
    I hear you too.

    But, let's face it, hockey is dead in the water right now. Might as well spend the money on what is the sole nationally-prominent program Maine has at present.

  5. #745
    Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    St Alphonzos pancake breakfast
    Posts
    35,814

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Might as well spend the money on what is the sole nationally-prominent program Maine has at present.
    Womens BBall, Field Hockey?
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

    Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

  6. #746
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,342

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    I hear you too.

    But, let's face it, hockey is dead in the water right now. Might as well spend the money on what is the sole nationally-prominent program Maine has at present.
    Well I do, as I have 3 season tickets.

  7. #747
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,976

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Womens BBall, Field Hockey?
    Yeah, there's that too.

    We actually go to FH games to see the Bears in Albany. Maine has had a very good program for years now.

    The Warden's daughter was a player, so I got sucked-in... I would just like to see longer sticks and fewer whistles, but it's a decent sport to watch. And Maine is in the mix, most years.

    FH probably had the best recent shot at a NC, along with football. Hockey hasn't been in that conversation since Red took over.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 06-06-2019 at 09:14 PM.

  8. #748
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Maine, North of Orono
    Posts
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    I hear you too.

    But, let's face it, hockey is dead in the water right now. Might as well spend the money on what is the sole nationally-prominent program Maine has at present.
    Sigh.

  9. #749
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,976

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthMike View Post
    Sigh.
    I feel your pain. But it's been so long since hockey was relevant that I'm getting used to it.

    (How's the fishing been up there, BTW? We've had so much rain here that even the blackflies haven't recovered yet, let alone the trout.)

  10. #750
    There was no joy in Orono.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Dark Side
    Posts
    2,981
    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Which means they'll be 5-6...
    This is my biggest fear. The margin for error in the CAA is so thin. You win 2-3 close games one year, youíre 9-2, you lose those close ones the next year and youíre 5-6.

    Iím worried about the D. Thereís always been some kind of continuity but Hetherman leaving at the same time as coach H spooks me for sure. Hopefully Ryan can keep the Black Hole thing going.

  11. #751
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Maine, North of Orono
    Posts
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    I feel your pain. But it's been so long since hockey was relevant that I'm getting used to it.

    (How's the fishing been up there, BTW? We've had so much rain here that even the blackflies haven't recovered yet, let alone the trout.)
    Been good fishing even though things are a couple weeks behind here. Water has been cold and high. Its a great time of year for fishing if you can get work out of the way.
    Last edited by NorthMike; 06-07-2019 at 09:30 AM.

  12. #752
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    12,902

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    This is my biggest fear. The margin for error in the CAA is so thin. You win 2-3 close games one year, youíre 9-2, you lose those close ones the next year and youíre 5-6.

    Iím worried about the D. Thereís always been some kind of continuity but Hetherman leaving at the same time as coach H spooks me for sure. Hopefully Ryan can keep the Black Hole thing going.
    Plus having to play two FBS teams every year, and going to Colgate, means that 2-2 is the only really reasonable expectation in the non-conference, 1-3 is a distinct possibility. If they go 1-3 in the non-conference, 5-3 in the conference may not be enough. Which is bonkers. But, paying the bills is more important in Orono than making the playoffs.

  13. #753
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,976

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Plus having to play two FBS teams every year, and going to Colgate, means that 2-2 is the only really reasonable expectation in the non-conference, 1-3 is a distinct possibility. If they go 1-3 in the non-conference, 5-3 in the conference may not be enough. Which is bonkers. But, paying the bills is more important in Orono than making the playoffs.
    It's certainly possible that Maine could go 3-1, too. Even 4-0, if the cards fall right.

    I wouldn't count this Maine team out before the fact. The FBS teams they face are not juggernauts by any means. And Colgate away is a winnable game.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 06-07-2019 at 09:47 PM.

  14. #754
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,976

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    This is my biggest fear. The margin for error in the CAA is so thin. You win 2-3 close games one year, youíre 9-2, you lose those close ones the next year and youíre 5-6.

    Iím worried about the D. Thereís always been some kind of continuity but Hetherman leaving at the same time as coach H spooks me for sure. Hopefully Ryan can keep the Black Hole thing going.
    I might well be wrong, but isn't the entire coaching staff composed of Coach H leftovers?

    That leads me to believe that the "culture" won't change much, on either side of the ball.

    It's been a winning formula for Maine, and I do expect it to continue.

  15. #755
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,976

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthMike View Post
    Been good fishing even though things are a couple weeks behind here. Water has been cold and high. Its a great time of year for fishing if you can get work out of the way.
    High, cold, and muddy here. The smaller brooks are clearing up, so maybe I can catch a few small specks tomorrow. Been a very rough May here.

  16. #756
    There was no joy in Orono.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Dark Side
    Posts
    2,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    I might well be wrong, but isn't the entire coaching staff composed of Coach H leftovers?

    That leads me to believe that the "culture" won't change much, on either side of the ball.

    It's been a winning formula for Maine, and I do expect it to continue.
    They are but a lot have been promoted pretty quickly, losing both H and the D coordinator the same year is concerning from a D stand point, I think.

    The FBS games suck. I dont think they can beat Georgia Southern. I dont know anything about Liberty. Even last year, against a miserable Western Kentucky team it took a miracle comeback to win. If that doesnt happen who knows how the season goes. 3 years ago they shoodíve beat UConn, blew it, and go 6-5 and out.

    Id like to know how many teams nationally play 2 fbs games. Kt has to be a low number.

  17. #757
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dominical, Costa Rica
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Maine will play UConn @ Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport on Wednesday 1/15 and host the Huskies for a pair the weekend of 2/14-15.

  18. #758
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,342

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Maine will play UConn @ Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport on Wednesday 1/15 and host the Huskies for a pair the weekend of 2/14-15.
    I saw that...just keeping tabs on when the most likely Maine will announce their schedule...figure by the end of June. Anyone have info they could update. 3 series in place to date. UAA/Omaha/UConn.

  19. #759
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    215

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    I saw that...just keeping tabs on when the most likely Maine will announce their schedule...figure by the end of June. Anyone have info they could update. 3 series in place to date. UAA/Omaha/UConn.
    Haven't heard when yet but they released 6/22 last year and 7/11 2 years ago. I added more Maine sched info in the 2019-20 schedules thread. Northeastern is announcing their sched tmw so we'll have that series soon.

  20. #760
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,342

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by Liveatjrl View Post
    Haven't heard when yet but they released 6/22 last year and 7/11 2 years ago. I added more Maine sched info in the 2019-20 schedules thread. Northeastern is announcing their sched tmw so we'll have that series soon.
    Good Deal...Thanks.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •