X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    I don’t disagree with you at all. I’m just making the point that given the system that is in place Hockey East had a strong incentive to see Northeastern and Providence make it to the semis and basically guarantee a spot in the NCAA tourney. I know there is no big conspiracy but the refs certainly know where things stand.

In any case, on to 2020. How are you and everyone else feeling about next year?
    I'm guessing that next year will be the SOS. There's no reason to think otherwise.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-16-2019, 09:43 PM.

Comment

There wouldn't be three teams in if Maine and BC won their series.
      Northeastern and Providence are in regardless. Possibly both eventual 2 seeds with Quinnipiac getting swept.

Comment

I don’t disagree with you at all. I’m just making the point that given the system that is in place Hockey East had a strong incentive to see Northeastern and Providence make it to the semis and basically guarantee a spot in the NCAA tourney. I know there is no big conspiracy but the refs certainly know where things stand.

In any case, on to 2020. How are you and everyone else feeling about next year?
        I expect a step forward, but I said that last year. I don't think the year is a total failure, but another sweep to end the year is very frustrating. Especially when they could probably have even won the series if they didn't carve a rut to the box both nights. The only notable seniors they stand to lose are Robbins and Michel, and Michel should be effectively replaced by Greenway, and I expect Dawe to move up to the second line to replace Robbins. If they can avoid the bad first half like they had this year, I would expect a much better result. I still believe the potential is there to do anything, but they need consistent efforts and better offense.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          Northeastern and Providence are in regardless. Possibly both eventual 2 seeds with Quinnipiac getting swept.
          Not sure that 2 v. 3 seeding will matter much, as long as the siting will be amenable. Any of the HEA teams that are already in have a realistic shot at the FF, IMO, but of course UMass is the pick of the litter.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            UMass is the pick of the litter.
            Absolutely agree. Went to Amherst last night (and they won 6-0 tonight) and the speed and skill level is above anything I have seen in the league this year.

Comment

Preview of the coming postmortem on the season:

In the Gendron Era does Maine have a worse record against
              Boston College
              Boston University
              UMass Lowell
              UConn

That's right. The traditional Hockey East powerhouse from Storrs.

Comment

After 6 years of Gendron hockey I find it difficult to believe that next year will be much different. I don't see them finishing higher than 5th or 6th once again. If the puck bounces right in the quarter finals, there is a chance they could make it to the TD Garden. I really don't see them winning or moving on from there.

Comment

.500 hockey is in the cards under Gendron....if not worst. No progress in 6 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    Again, 3 teams in, and I could see UMass winning it all, and maybe even NU or PC.

The traditional powers have gone backwards, but HEA still has a legit shot at the NC.
                    3 teams in: Yes. But Hockey East has fallen back in that they are not the top Conference anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                      34 shots, probably 15 blocked shots, 3 pipes, 3 reviewed overturned... frustrating. 70 plus shots in two games for a total of 2 goals. Primeau is about as good as they come, makes tough shots seem routine, steals a couple each game. Reminds me of Jimmy.

Good luck to NU this post season.
                      56 blocked shots over the weekend...and Primeau was the difference maker, clutch in net.

Comment

Gendron record: 82-115-25, the highest finish in Hockey East @ 5th place, the lowest finish @ 11th place....not exact math but the record ends up as 13-19-4 per season. Not a resounding rebuild after 6 years...and with that and two more years to that with his extension kicking in.

Comment

Can we fire Red now? Or will he do the honorable thing and resign, as he said he would if he can't do the job?

There's not a doubt in my mind this team would be better if they had named Corkum head coach.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

More excuses by Gendron. How about staying out of the penalty box and playing disciplined hockey?

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/03/...eid=1414ca39fa

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                              ........... His idea of rough and tough hockey does not jive in todays game....expect the same next season[2019-20].
                              His "smash mouth" hockey may have worked for him in other leagues but it won't be tolerated in college hockey. Apparently, he either doesn't see it or if he does he refuses to change.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                                Gendron record: 82-115-25, the highest finish in Hockey East @ 5th place, the lowest finish @ 11th place....not exact math but the record ends up as 13-19-4 per season. Not a resounding rebuild after 6 years...and with that and two more years to that with his extension kicking in.
                                I think this next season will be Reds last. I do fear what their next coach move will be.
                                I must say that this team looks better conditioned than past years and towards the end here they came together as a team and seemed to accept and implement the system/plan. Too late though. RIP the 2018/2019 season, "in the books".

Comment

Working...
                                X