X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    It isn't shocking news to anyone who pays attention, but in the past year+ there have been big stories in the BDN that UMaine doesn't spend anywhere close to competitively in men's hockey, men's basketball or football.

At what point does the discussion regarding whether, if Maine wants to sponsor all three of those sports AND baseball (which can't be funded appropriately either), Maine should not be in Division I?

It's not like Maine is spending below the bottom of a big conference like the Big Ten.
    Going D3 in sports is going to happen at some point.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
      It isn't shocking news to anyone who pays attention, but in the past year+ there have been big stories in the BDN that UMaine doesn't spend anywhere close to competitively in men's hockey, men's basketball or football.

At what point does the discussion regarding whether, if Maine wants to sponsor all three of those sports AND baseball (which can't be funded appropriately either), Maine should not be in Division I?

It's not like Maine is spending below the bottom of a big conference like the Big Ten.
      At some point the state needs to stop wasting money on the satellite campuses and administration and put it towards Orono.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
        If only some AD with vision would have made him an offer a couple years before Providence did.
        Pretty cool article...

https://www.uscho.com/frozen-four/2015/04/10/providences-leaman-takes-unconventional-road-with-a-primary-assist-from-shawn-walsh/

“It goes back to Shawn Walsh being a special person, sitting down with [a stranger] for 20 minutes,” he said. “It’s something I think a lot about. Shawn didn’t have to sit down with me. He didn’t know me at all. He could have easily not taken the time to help somebody out, and he did, so obviously I owe him a great debt of gratitude there.” Leamen
        Last edited by BlackI; 03-31-2019, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          If only some AD with vision would have made him an offer a couple years before Providence did.
          And you can bet the Providence people see that and KNOW that in order to go forward he[Leaman]is the key and they will do what ever it takes to keep him in the fold....while over to the Maine side...its excuses/finger pointing and the basic blah/blah/blah whining and trust us we are not that far away[inches is the yard stick]. Sadly its more or less a slap in the faces of the Maine hockey fans[and there is many that are sick and tired of the etc/etc talk].

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            I maintain an even strain.
            Hahhaaaa….ya ok.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              Alfond matches the campus.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
              Amen to that! While UMaine's setting is nice.....maintenance of campus buildings, facilities, roads, parking areas and landscape SUCKS! I've always wondered what kind of crack pots they've got plowing campus.....they ruin everything and cost UM tons of money with their annual winter destructive techniques.

Comment

Walsh inherited a ghastly train-wreck.

And, the Alfond wasn't the Tal Mahal, even then.

But, he built a dynasty anyway, because he found a way to recruit, the physical plant aside.

Red will never figure that out. I wouldn't send my son to him. Who in his right mind would?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Going D3 in sports is going to happen at some point.
                  Not while the NCAA is in charge.

Comment

Maybe Ken Ralph is talking about the $$ to try to get more from some place. I dont think its’going to work.

The difference is the football program uses having fewer funds than the South to put a chip on their shoulder and be underdogs.

Hockey, going back to Whitehead he did this too, basically just whines. No one likes a whiner. The way they deliver their message generates nothing but fan anger

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                      Maybe Ken Ralph is talking about the $$ to try to get more from some place. I dont think its’going to work.
                      I don't either.

Instead of these semiannual stories crying poverty (and yes, we are impoverished) how about one big long series about WHY Maine is so much more impoverished. Here's the breakdown if any journalist is reading:

PART ONE: Just how much poorer than its peer institutions is the University of Maine's athletic department?

Look at this as a massive overview of the whole athletic department, and on a program by program basis. If you look at the most recent DOE numbers, Maine spends and takes in money at a similar level as most of its America East peers. But, Maine sponsors a different panoply of sports. Is Maine functionally competing at a financial disadvantage in every sport? Are there sports (women's hoops?) where Maine is at or near the top of its conference? What does that spending go to pay for that Maine can't keep up with? Facilities? Recruiting? Scholarships/grants-in-aid?

PART TWO: Where does UMaine athletics get its money from, and how does it compare to its peers?

What are the raw numbers of income to the athletic department from different sources? How much ticket/merchandise revenue is there? How much comes in annually in donations? What support comes from general University money? Student fees? Guarantee games? How do those raw numbers compare to other America East/Hockey East/CAA Football schools? Is there anything in the percentages of each type of income that stands out (i.e. is Maine's ticket revenue ridiculously low? Donations? Do we charge a lot in student fees as a percentage of tuition)?

PART THREE: How does UMaine's income get spent?

Does each program get to keep the income it generates from ticket sales, summer camps, guarantee games, etc.? Do donations to individual sports still happen (and how DID the merger of the discrete sports funds end up affecting revenues, anyways?)? If the women's basketball team wants to fund its annual recruiting trip to Europe, do they take that out of their own revenues, is that money donated, is there a decision made in the athletic department at large to spend that money? How are the budgets for each program set? How is it determined what unallocated money in the budget goes to which program? How does Maine's process differ from its peers, other than having less money?

PART FOUR: In summary, are we screwed forever?

Use the information from Parts 1-3 and figure it out.

Comment

Sean Pickett has compiled a lot of financial data for schools playing division 1 hockey. Unfortunately, there are 32 private institutions for which he could not obtain information.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1579442056
                        Last edited by Runsub5; 04-01-2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                          Sean Pickett has compiled a lot of financial data for schools playing division 1 hockey. Unfortunately, there are 32 private institutions for which he could not obtain information.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1579442056
                          Some fascinating stuff. Maine has higher direct support than any other institution, excepting Lowell. It does look like some of that was the buyout for Whitehead (huge jump in 2016), but it was over $1M every year. Also, ticket sales have cratered. Regardless, on average 48.7% of the University of Maine's income is from "direct support." Basically, the academic side underwriting the hockey program.

The recruiting budget is actually higher than every other program than Air Force.

Now I'd love to see that for every other UMaine program.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                            Some fascinating stuff. Maine has higher direct support than any other institution, excepting Lowell. It does look like some of that was the buyout for Whitehead (huge jump in 2016), but it was over $1M every year. Also, ticket sales have cratered. Regardless, on average 48.7% of the University of Maine's income is from "direct support." Basically, the academic side underwriting the hockey program.

The recruiting budget is actually higher than every other program than Air Force.

Now I'd love to see that for every other UMaine program.
                            The only solution is higher ticket prices.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                              The only solution is higher ticket prices.
                              Or maybe winning, and selling more tickets at the current (and already exorbitant) prices as a result..?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                                Or maybe winning, and selling more tickets at the current (and already exorbitant) prices as a result..?
                                The smartest person from Maine is Mr. King. Money aside. There cannot be a group or a set of people that can remedy this. I understand he may be upset with Blodget let go. I also understand he was given a **** sandwich by UMaine. At the end of the day, I can honestly tell you they have given ten fold more behind the scenes. So, people should be thankful for what he and his family has done. I wish for a day when the athletic department could remedy their short sidedness.

Laws yes.

Comment

Working...
                                X