This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Something I wrote three years ago. Today now marks 30 years.

27 years ago tonight I sat down to watch "The Wonderful World of Disney" on NBC. Instead it was preempted for a college hockey game. This may sound foreign to many of you, but we did not have cable and only a handful of channels that came in - assuming the rabbit ears were aligned correctly and there was no unusual atmospheric interference. So hockey it was.

This also may sound foreign to those who know me now, but I was not into hockey back then. Even though I went to the same high school future NHL players like Mike McHugh and Eric Weinrich had attended - and the team had won the state championship weeks earlier - it really didn't mean much to me. I was all set to go to Lyndon State College in Vermont and become the guy who would be wrong when he told you what the temperature would be tomorrow. All that was about to change.

The game was broadcast by Dale Duff, a man with many peculiarities but, whose passion for the sport and the school could be heard in every syllable he spoke. If you looked up enthusiasm in the dictionary you found a picture of Duff. It turned out to be game three of the NCAA Quarterfinal series against Providence College. While I had been hard at work scrubbing dishes at Jameson Tavern on Friday and Saturday nights, Maine and PC had been busy playing games both nights but had not settled things.

Hanging from the balcony that now houses the student section was a banner that wrapped around the arena which read: "Outside there is a whole world, but in here it's Go Maine Go!" I thought they had increased the volume of the crowd mics because it was very noisy. As it turns out, it really was that loud. A friend of mine was staying on campus at Dunn Hall, two parking lots away from Alfond, and he said there were times when he could hear the crowd, even all that distance away.

The events of the first two periods don't stand out. Maine trailed 3-1 with 10 minutes left and it appeared the season was over. It's funny how the little things make a difference. Maine's Bob Corkum delivered a crushing check on Providence's Rick Bennett and sent him over the boards into the penalty box. Moments later Mario Thyer capitalized on the momentum to cut the lead to 3-2 and the crowd came to life. The clock was ticking down and the crowd just seemed to be getting louder. It felt like Duff was screaming into the microphone to be heard. Then suddenly a Maine player stole the puck behind the net, passed it quickly to Martin Robitaille who found a streaking Scott Pellerin. He unleashed an absolute laser from 35 feet that beat Mark Romaine and the game was tied at 3. The crowd exploded.

What followed seemed to take an eternity. The final two minutes of regulation. The first overtime period. The start of the second overtime. It looked like Providence had won when Dave Guden had a chance all alone in front but Matt DelGuidice stoned him and the game continued. Then a sequence that still plays in slow-motion in my mind.

A scrum in the netmouth. The puck comes to Robitaille near the side of the net. Romaine and half the Providence team is down on the ice. Robey takes the puck on his backhand and skates across the net. Providence defenseman Jeff Serowik gets to his knees. Robey holds. And holds. Finally he lets loose the shot, high off the ice above the collection of players between him and the goal, past the swinging arm of Serowik and into the net. Robitaille skates along the far boards performing a windmill celebration before being mobbed by teammates. 1500 feet away, through a closed window, my friend hears the roar of the crowd and knows Maine has won even before he hears the goal on the radio.

That night changed everything for me. I spent the next two years immersed in hockey. I was the manager and statistician for our high school team. I became the go-to guy for publications like Hockey Night in Boston because I kept a record not just of our own team's scoring numbers but for our opponents as well. In the days before the Internet and computer databases (no, those haven't always existed, shocking I know) it was the kind of information reporters longed to have but didn't have easy access to.

30 months later I was sitting in the Dexter Lounge, the new student manager for the team, trying not to be starstruck as Robey, Pelly, Monty and a parade of other heroes walked in and introduced themselves to me...as if I didn't already know exactly who they were.

In the intervening years I have met some amazing people, had experiences that can't be matched and witnessed events that would boggle the mind. All of it can be traced back to that one random night 27 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      Thanks for sharing. Remember that night very well. My wife and I watching on a black & white in southern NH with the antenna up to pick-up the feed from Portland. One of the greatest games and the Pellerin shot you describe perfectly! Fond memories! Hope one day we will have some new ones to cherish?

Comment

Don't be sad it's over, be happy it happened in the first place.

Colin Shields retires.

A message from Colin Shields – the Stena Line Belfast Giants #19 and all-time leader in games played (611), goals (245), assists (390) as well as points (635).

Shields is the Elite League’s all-time leading scorer, surpassing David Clarke’s record of 731 points on Sunday 27th January against the Milton Keynes Lightning. The Giants #19 is also Team GB’s all-time leading scorer – taking the record during a win over the Netherlands at the 2017 World Championship, hosted in Belfast

From the moment I first put on a pair of skates and picked up a hockey stick all I wanted to do was play ice hockey. I loved the game, the training, the practices, everything about skating on that ice. However, at some point it has to come to an end and for me that time is now. After playing hockey for over 30 years, 15 as a full time professional this upcoming weekend shall be my final regular season games as a hockey player, as a Belfast Giant.

I have talked many times about how amazing this game is, how grateful and lucky we are to be able to play a game every day. I have been able to travel the world, play with and against some of the best players on the planet. I look back on the last 30 years and I am so thankful for all the memories and friendships I have made. I never thought this day would actually come, heading into this season I felt like I could play until I was 45! But the time is right and I am looking forward to the next chapter in my life.
        More at link.

Comment

I think a lot of folks got hooked on maine hockey that qfinal series with PC. I was there all 3 nights. Sunday night was amazing. Went standing room. I wasnt first in line when I got there around 4. early enough to get 1 of the 100 sro tickets. Stood on rail near center of ice. I wonder why I'm hard of hearing now . I had been to games since Alfond was built but that weekend got me addicted. I didnt miss many games from then till Grant retired. Now I cant even watch them without getting upset. Fun times

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
            I think a lot of folks got hooked on maine hockey that qfinal series with PC. I was there all 3 nights. Sunday night was amazing. Went standing room. I wasnt first in line when I got there around 4. early enough to get 1 of the 100 sro tickets. Stood on rail near center of ice. I wonder why I'm hard of hearing now . I had been to games since Alfond was built but that weekend got me addicted. I didnt miss many games from then till Grant retired. Now I cant even watch them without getting upset. Fun times

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            Some great posts lately. I suppose Rufus was right, all we got are memories. But I still remain optimistic for the return of our Bears. However, it will take a coaching change, I believe. I believe the recruiting is on par with other programs. But the preference of the line up decisions, lack of discipline leading to penalties, and lack of focus on defense has lead us all to believe the program is in shambles. But I think a coaching change could remedy all of those areas. Now, does this mean we immediately go to frozen four... no. But trips to the garden and ncaa playoffs aren’t that far away. If we lose recruits, so be it. But the general feeling from most is that this was the team to break in again. It got of to a flat start, and that means they weren’t prepared. Preparedness falls on the coaching staff.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              Cool story. Dont recall it from 3 years ago🤔

Im amazed at how fast you put up stats. Good stuff, they dont exaggerate or lie!

Comment

https://nam04.safelinks.protection.o...%3D&reserved=0

Realize this is based on nhl not college but still take issue with Bishop over Howard. Ben has sv% win but Jimmys 3x allstar and Olympian, Ben only 1allstar game.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                  https://nam04.safelinks.protection.o...%3D&reserved=0

Realize this is based on nhl not college but still take issue with Bishop over Howard. Ben has sv% win but Jimmys 3x allstar and Olympian, Ben only 1allstar game.
                  Agree 100% it is Jimmy over Ben. Since the writer is late to College Hockey he likely never saw Jimmy in action at Maine, though I know this is NHL list. Ben has benefited from being on better teams. Just wish he could stay health for a playoff run, he had to take himself out again last night which is concerning for Montgomery and the Stars for any kind of extended playoff appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    Submitted without comment.

Code:
                    		2007-13					2013-19		
                    		Total		Win%			Total		Win%
                    Overall		96-102-28	0.487			82-115-25	0.426
                    Hockey East	65-74-23	0.472			48-70-16	0.418
                    Playoffs	7-11		0.389			4-12-0		0.250

Boston trips		2					0		

Home		54-39-14	0.570			54-40-9		0.568
                    Away		30-55-12	0.371			23-66-13	0.289
                    Neutral		12-8-2		0.591			5-9-3		0.382

UMA		8-8-3		0.500			13-5-1		0.711
                    BC		6-11-3		0.375			5-9-0		0.357
                    BU		6-14-4		0.313			6-8		0.429
                    Conn							2-5-3		0.350
                    UML		12-12-0		0.500			4-7-1		0.375
                    MC		9-11-3		0.457			8-3-2		0.692
                    UNH		6-11-1		0.361			8-9-4		0.476
                    NE		9-6-3		0.583			2-13-1		0.156
                    PC		9-6-3		0.583			1-15		0.031
                    UVM		8-7-3		0.528			6-12-3		0.357

Pairwise	26.5							36.8
                    KRACH		24							34.2
                    SOS		17.5							28.2

vs KRACH T15	22-47-6		0.333			7-60-3		.121
                    ETA: Data was compiled using USCHO, CHN and the UMaine media guide as sources.
                    Interesting... you can see the clear rise and fall of the opponents in some of these records. NU, UML (until just recently) and PC clearly on the upswing and you can see Maine's record drop like a rock vs them. UNH and MC back on the downswing, Maine's record is better lately. A little surprised the record vs BC is not a little better lately as BC has dropped off.

While Maine did not stand still, their decline has been so slow and steady it seems like they didn't move much.

The real crime here is the record vs Yukon.
                    Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 03-28-2019, 09:43 AM.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

While the overall winning % drop of 487 to 426 doesnt seem too bad, when you consider that the SOS dropped from 17 to 28 ..... its much worse.

The schedule got a lot easier and the record STILL got worse. So how much worse would the second columns win% be if the SOS was 17? In the 300s maybe?

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                        Interesting... you can see the clear rise and fall of the opponents in some of these records. NU, UML (until just recently) and PC clearly on the upswing and you can see Maine's record drop like a rock vs those two. UNH and MC back on the downswing, Maine's record is better lately. A little surprised the record vs BC is not a little better lately as BC has dropped off.
                        True. Also interesting that the home record is almost exactly the same.

Comment

Keepers NHL debut tonight!!

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/keeper-s-nhl-debut-cause-for-celebration-in-cross-lake~1645368
                          Last edited by NorthMike; 03-28-2019, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                            Direct TV 654 FSF Florida

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                              While the overall winning % drop of 487 to 426 doesnt seem too bad, when you consider that the SOS dropped from 17 to 28 ..... its much worse.

The schedule got a lot easier and the record STILL got worse. So how much worse would the second columns win% be if the SOS was 17? In the 300s maybe?
                              You can see part of that in the record vs Top 15 KRACH, which is roughly 1/3 of what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by dogtagger View Post
                                Direct TV 654 FSF Florida
                                I believe you have to have a Directv Center Ice subscription in order to watch it.

Comment

Working...
                                X