X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
    https://www.sunjournal.com/2019/04/03/faded-glory-maine-hockey-struggles-to-stay-relevant-on-national-stage-2/
    This is in the Press Herald today too.

I'm glad some questions are getting asked, I just hope they continue to get asked in a global "let's audit the entire athletic department and consider starting over from square one" kind of way.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
      This is in the Press Herald today too.

I'm glad some questions are getting asked, I just hope they continue to get asked in a global "let's audit the entire athletic department and consider starting over from square one" kind of way.
      https://www.sunjournal.com/2019/04/03/20-years-later-umaine-hockey-team-savors-its-ncaa-championship/?rel=related

Another one.

Yeah Im actually hopeful Ralph will reset the athletics. Not sure it will be successful. I just hope he doesnt 100% focus on facilities as the answer.

Comment

I’m happy they printed the fan’s quote on ticket prices. They are ridiculous and hopefully get fixed next year. I also didn’t go to a game this year at the Alfond and honestly a lot of it was the schedule. That is the kind of thing Maine controls and it needs to be improved moving forward. When you go long periods of time with no home games, and a lot of weekends off in general, fans lose momentum as well.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

There are some great quotes in the story.

Did anyone copy edit or fact check it?

The Whitehead firing graph is laughably inaccurate.

It also says Abbott is the only All American since 2011. Pretty sure both Shore and Hutton were All Americans.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
          43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
          104-47-14 (.669) in that time
          3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

The ticket quote isnt exactly accurate.
            They have plenty of $20 seats, then you pay the $2.5 fee.

There is other seating at $50 (donor) and some $40 in the lower center sections or on the glass.

Personaly I don't think $20 is too much, but it would be interesting to see if $15 seats would bring more revenue.

Comment

The thing Ralph says about BIG schools taking hockey seriously changing the landscape ****es me off too.

Because Providence Duluth and Denver are Big 10 football money schools right? JFC

3x FROZEN FOUR

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                There are some great quotes in the story.

Did anyone copy edit or fact check it?

The Whitehead firing graph is laughably inaccurate.

It also says Abbott is the only All American since 2011. Pretty sure both Shore and Hutton were All Americans.
                Also, Maine's first NCAA appearance was 1987, not '86, with final fours in 1988 and '89, not '87 and '88.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  Also, Maine's first NCAA appearance was 1987, not '86, with final fours in 1988 and '89, not '87 and '88.
                  Just sloppy. All this stuff is on the internet and takes 10 minutes to look up. Seeds needless doubt about the accuracy of the stuff in there thats not.

3x FROZEN FOUR

Comment

Happy thoughts: https://youtu.be/56PyrqwF06c

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      I’m happy they printed the fan’s quote on ticket prices. They are ridiculous and hopefully get fixed next year. I also didn’t go to a game this year at the Alfond and honestly a lot of it was the schedule. That is the kind of thing Maine controls and it needs to be improved moving forward. When you go long periods of time with no home games, and a lot of weekends off in general, fans lose momentum as well.
                      The school only controls some of it. Unless it has changed, Hockey East sets the times and dates of all conference games. All Maine can do is schedule non-conference opponents.

As for ticket prices, discounts for kids seems like a no-brainer and I have long been a proponent of price specials for certain games. I've been told that isn't an option because they don't want to anger season ticket buyers by offering discounted tickets. Maybe that can change too.

Comment

The thing Ralph says about BIG schools taking hockey seriously changing the landscape ****es me off too.

Because Providence Duluth and Denver are Big 10 football money schools right? JFC
                        And UMass...

Comment

More Solari editorializing.
                          I laugh in that last year he thought Red should get an extension immediately.

http://sportschowdah.bangordailynews...hats-the-plan/

Comment

Providence and Denver are both private schools with deep pockets and UMass and UMD have thrown megabucks at hockey. Ironically, the traditional B1G hockey powers of Minnesota, Michigan, State and Wisconsin have been on a down swing in recent years. Money is not THE silver bullet - you still have to spend wisely - but it does give you a much larger room for error.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              Providence and Denver are both private schools with deep pockets and UMass and UMD have thrown megabucks at hockey. Ironically, the traditional B1G hockey powers of Minnesota, Michigan, State and Wisconsin have been on a down swing in recent years. Money is not THE silver bullet - you still have to spend wisely - but it does give you a much larger room for error.
                              "Bergeron is in the fourth year of an eight-year contract with Bowling Green, and made $185,000 base salary this year, plus bonuses and benefits." from CHN

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                Private schools have money, yes, but this is not the new development tied to “big schools taking hockey seriously” Ralph portrays it as.

These are all longtime power hockey schools. Whos taking it seriously that wasnt before? Penn State I guess? UMass we shall see.

3x FROZEN FOUR

Comment

Working...
                                X