Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 941

Thread: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

  1. #161
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Ok so lets stipulate that hes recruiting all these great players, for the sake of argument, why cant he win any playoff games? You cant have it both ways: Either the team stinks and hes a good coach hamstrung by the talent or the teams talented and hes a lousy coach.

    Either way the buck stop with him. The scoreboard dont lie.
    A = B. All you Red haters on here have said he canít recruit talent and that he hasnít recruited any players with hands. Thatís not true. But it also doesnít mean heís bringing in a team of five-star recruits. Iím sorry to say this, but I believe those days are over in Orono.

    Letís be honest. Playing hockey in Orono, ME is a tough sell when you play in a league with the likes of BC, Providence, Northeastern, UMass, BU and other big money schools. Thereís a reason why Maine, Vermont, Merrimack and UNH have been struggling. Theyíre all lower-budget schools that struggle to attract a full team loaded with talent.

    I guess if I were to put fault on anyone it would be the University of Maine. The facilities/budget just arenít on point with a lot of other schools in the country. We saw that with the football program when half the football staff left for better paying jobs after the season.

  2. #162
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,701

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBlue51 View Post
    A = B. All you Red haters on here have said he canít recruit talent and that he hasnít recruited any players with hands. Thatís not true. But it also doesnít mean heís bringing in a team of five-star recruits. Iím sorry to say this, but I believe those days are over in Orono.

    Letís be honest. Playing hockey in Orono, ME is a tough sell when you play in a league with the likes of BC, Providence, Northeastern, UMass, BU and other big money schools. Thereís a reason why Maine, Vermont, Merrimack and UNH have been struggling. Theyíre all lower-budget schools that struggle to attract a full team loaded with talent.

    I guess if I were to put fault on anyone it would be the University of Maine. The facilities/budget just arenít on point with a lot of other schools in the country. We saw that with the football program when half the football staff left for better paying jobs after the season.
    I see your point. If they had more budget to work with they would buy out Red and hire a better coach giving a higher salary.

  3. #163
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,322

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching


  4. #164
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    I see your point. If they had more budget to work with they would buy out Red and hire a better coach giving a higher salary.
    Ouch...

  5. #165
    University of Maine Class of 2020
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    511

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    The way people here talk about Maine, you'd think they were a sub-10 win team playing a weak schedule, instead of a .500 team playing a top third schedule in terms of difficulty.

    The losses sustained today and possibly going forward are a huge blow, though, and none of the incoming freshmen really impress me like Schmitty, Dawe, or Tralmaks did when I monitored them prior to their Orono arrival. A step back is most likely in the cards, and while I will still maintain the prior season was not awful, a step back is not at all what they need.

  6. #166
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,327

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Good for Pearson and Keeper not so good for Maine Hockey.


    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Certainly 2 of the best players on the team, and I wish them well. Still...

    I don't see NHL talent there in either of them -Red has never put a guy into The Show- so why not bail now and have a shot at maximizing your possible development? This iteration of the Maine program is looking like a dead-end for even somewhat promising players.

    (And even if they hung-around, does anyone really think Maine would be a tournament team as a result? I surely don't.)
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-18-2019 at 07:59 PM.

  7. #167
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    The way people here talk about Maine, you'd think they were a sub-10 win team playing a weak schedule, instead of a .500 team playing a top third schedule in terms of difficulty.

    The losses sustained today and possibly going forward are a huge blow, though, and none of the incoming freshmen really impress me like Schmitty, Dawe, or Tralmaks did when I monitored them prior to their Orono arrival. A step back is most likely in the cards, and while I will still maintain the prior season was not awful, a step back is not at all what they need.
    Agreed. Maine is a school that is going to need good players to stick around and be committed to a run. They need to be more of a Gonzaga rather than a Duke, if that makes sense.

    I felt the same way today as I did when Shore and Hutton left after their junior season. If they stuck around, I was excited about what the 2015-2016 season could be. But they left and that opened the door for Pearson and Fossier to get a lot of play as freshmen.

    But, youíre right. Iím less optimistic now and this will just lead to more fans wanting the coachís head whether thatís the right or wrong answer.

    My only hope now is that Tralmaks continues to develop his game, Fossier sticks around and Doherty steps up. Other than that, the only way theyíre getting anywhere is on Swaymanís back.

  8. #168
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,322

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    The way people here talk about Maine, you'd think they were a sub-10 win team playing a weak schedule, instead of a .500 team playing a top third schedule in terms of difficulty.
    KRACH schedule strength over six years is 34. That's bottom half.

  9. #169
    University of Maine Class of 2020
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    KRACH schedule strength over six years is 34. That's bottom half.
    RPI for this season pegs them at #19. That's the third hardest in Hockey East.

  10. #170
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,327

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    RPI for this season pegs them at #19. That's the third hardest in Hockey East.
    Well, even if that's accurate, we're talking National relevance here, aren't we?

    No offense to those of you who embrace blind faith, but Maine has truly been a complete also-ran since Day One of the Red Era. There's no logical argument to be made to the contrary.

  11. #171
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    620

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Does anyone else find it curious that 3 of the Top 4 and 4 of the Top 10 teams in the country are non D1 schools? While I understand that that non D1 institutions have always been members of D1 college hockey.....I've noticed that this trend has picked up over the past few seasons. Is it a coincidence? Are programs like Maine, UNH, Vermont, etc at a disadvantage due to spreading resources too thin while these other schools can go "all in" on their only D1 sports program? Something to consider.......

  12. #172
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    12,831

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by umhockey91 View Post
    Does anyone else find it curious that 3 of the Top 4 and 4 of the Top 10 teams in the country are non D1 schools? While I understand that that non D1 institutions have always been members of D1 college hockey.....I've noticed that this trend has picked up over the past few seasons. Is it a coincidence? Are programs like Maine, UNH, Vermont, etc at a disadvantage due to spreading resources too thin while these other schools can go "all in" on their only D1 sports program? Something to consider.......
    Has it picked up? Number of play-ups per Frozen Fours by year, starting in 1984 (aka beginning with Walsh's first year):

    2018: 1 (Duluth) CHAMPION
    2017: 1 (Duluth)
    2016: 0
    2015: 0
    2014: 1 (Union) CHAMPION
    2013: 1.5 (St. Cloud; Lowell transitioning)
    2012: 2 (Union, Ferris)
    2011: 1 (Duluth) CHAMPION
    2010: 1 (RIT)
    2009: 1 (Bemidji)
    2008: 0.5 (North Dakota transitioning)
    2007: 1 (North Dakota)
    2006: 1 (North Dakota)
    2005: 2 (North Dakota, Colorado College)
    2004: 1 (Duluth)
    2003: 0
    2002: 0
    2001: 1 (North Dakota)
    2000: 2 (North Dakota, St. Lawrence) CHAMPION
    1999: 0
    1998: 0
    1997: 2 (North Dakota, Colorado College) CHAMPION
    1996: 1 (Colorado College)
    1995: 0
    1994: 1 (Lake Superior) CHAMPION
    1993: 1 (Lake Superior)
    1992: 1 (Lake Superior) CHAMPION
    1991: 2 (Northern Michigan, Clarkson) CHAMPION
    1990: 0
    1989: 0
    1988: 2 (Lake Superior, St. Lawrence) CHAMPION
    1987: 1 (North Dakota)
    1986: 1 (Denver)
    1985: 2 (RPI, Duluth) CHAMPION
    1984: 2 (Duluth, North Dakota)

    That is 34 teams (including half credits) in 34 years. Exactly 1 per year, or 25% of the field. Considering that 21 of 60 (or 35%) of NCAA schools are playing up, that seems reasonable. In the past 10 years the average is slightly under 1, which probably has more to do with North Dakota and Denver moving to D-1 than anything else.

  13. #173
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    4,255

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by umhockey91 View Post
    Does anyone else find it curious that 3 of the Top 4 and 4 of the Top 10 teams in the country are non D1 schools? While I understand that that non D1 institutions have always been members of D1 college hockey.....I've noticed that this trend has picked up over the past few seasons. Is it a coincidence? Are programs like Maine, UNH, Vermont, etc at a disadvantage due to spreading resources too thin while these other schools can go "all in" on their only D1 sports program? Something to consider.......
    This is one of the reasons BU dropped football. Hockey is their "primary" sport in the sense it is what they are best known for and their biggest revenue generator. The feeling was, as a I-AA school (now known as FCS), the revenue was not there (TV, etc). The only realistic way for them to continue was either drop to Division 3 or go big-time. My understanding is that John Silber (former President) was not exactly enamored with football. I'm sure there were academic reasons as well (same reason they joined the Patriot League), as they were/are trying to "enhance" their academic reputation as they transition more to a research-oriented and "international" university. It was likely the "drain" of expenses pertaining to football was affecting the entire athletic department.

    We have seen this much more frequently than in the past. Schools are in multiple leagues (and even multiple levels) depending upon the sport. Look at BC: ACC but Hockey East. UConn: AAC but Hockey East. Even Maine: America East but Hockey East. Frequently a school will join a "dedicated" league when they want to emphasize one sport that isn't inclusive of others.

    So to answer your question, I don't find it curious at all because we live in a boutique society now where everything is specialized.

  14. #174
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    12,831

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    This is one of the reasons BU dropped football. Hockey is their "primary" sport in the sense it is what they are best known for and their biggest revenue generator. The feeling was, as a I-AA school (now known as FCS), the revenue was not there (TV, etc). The only realistic way for them to continue was either drop to Division 3 or go big-time. My understanding is that John Silber (former President) was not exactly enamored with football. I'm sure there were academic reasons as well (same reason they joined the Patriot League), as they were/are trying to "enhance" their academic reputation as they transition more to a research-oriented and "international" university. It was likely the "drain" of expenses pertaining to football was affecting the entire athletic department.
    And yes, despite having refuted the "More sub-DI's are winning" point, I do agree that Maine needs to funnel more funds to hockey if they want to win. I don't love football, but it's successful at least. Spending half a fortune for the baseball team to go 1-14 barnstorming across the South is madness, to me.

  15. #175
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    4,255

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Spending half a fortune for the baseball team to go 1-14 barnstorming across the South is madness, to me.
    I'm guessing that's most likely a holdover from the John Winkin glory days...

  16. #176
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    12,831

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    I'm guessing that's most likely a holdover from the John Winkin glory days...
    Correct, but it isn't 1985.

  17. #177
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    4,950
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Correct, but it isn't 1985.
    Agreed. Time moves on whether we like it or not. The weather is so bad in Maine in the spring it just doesnít make much sense.

  18. #178
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    4,255

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Correct, but it isn't 1985.
    It's not??? No wonder my sideburns seem out of style...

  19. #179
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,156

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    ..........Spending half a fortune for the baseball team to go 1-14 barnstorming across the South is madness, to me.
    Totally agree. Program generates little if any money. Vermont and BU were wise to drop it many years ago.

  20. #180
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,322

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    And yes, despite having refuted the "More sub-DI's are winning" point, I do agree that Maine needs to funnel more funds to hockey if they want to win. I don't love football, but it's successful at least. Spending half a fortune for the baseball team to go 1-14 barnstorming across the South is madness, to me.
    I think that money was set aside back in the 80's when (Mahaney?) made a huge donation with the stipulation that the baseball team makes the trip South every year. I have no idea for how long that is supposed to last, but it can't be cheap to send the baseball team on the road for a month. However, compared to the gaping black hole that is football, it's all small potatoes. Maine will never drop football, will never (can never) trim the budget for football, so the program will continue to Hoover all the funds in the department. The difference is the money generated by hockey (thanks Uncle Harold) used to be more than enough to offset the money lost in football. Not only has that revenue decreased, there is now not a single sport on campus that consistently makes any money at all. This isn't new. We've known this for years and we've discussed it ad nauseam every summer for ages. We can talk all we want. Until the university determines a change has to be made (which is highly unlikely) then it's all a lot of hot air and wasted keystrokes.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •