Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Never Forget!

Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Quote Originally Posted by UncleRay View Post
    Then why pontificate as if you didn't?
    When did I suggest otherwise? UConn is one of the top programs for both men's and women's basketball in the country and supposedly makes decent bank from football. They should be awash in money. They certainly seemed to be when they spent $1.6 million to hire Mike Cavanaugh away from the BC staff.

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    When did I suggest otherwise? UConn is one of the top programs for both men's and women's basketball in the country and supposedly makes decent bank from football. They should be awash in money. They certainly seemed to be when they spent $1.6 million to hire Mike Cavanaugh away from the BC staff.
    “Supposedly”
    “Should”

https://www.apnews.com/6d704448c5814814bb325338427ea71b

Connecticut Football and the American has been a major cause of UConn Athletics’ budget issues. The travel associated with the AAC is largely the reason for their move back home to the Big East.

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by dunbar View Post
    “Supposedly”
    “Should”

https://www.apnews.com/6d704448c5814814bb325338427ea71b

Connecticut Football and the American has been a major cause of UConn Athletics’ budget issues. The travel associated with the AAC is largely the reason for their move back home to the Big East.
    Yeah, they should. Most people would make that assumption. Especially when UConn spends $100 million on a new rec center and is building a new baseball stadium.

Gee, football causing a problem for the athletics department budget. Good thing that'll never be a problem at UMaine.

University of Maine Class of 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleRay View Post
    Then why pontificate as if you didn't?
    All he did was make a statement he believed to be true, not sure if that qualifies as "pontificating".

The 2019-2020 schedule is out on the website:

https://goblackbears.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey

No real surprises that I can see (if you've been following the schedule being pieced together over the last couple months).

The Hockey East teams we play 3 times are PC, UVM, NU, & UCONN

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Event View Post

No real surprises that I can see (if you've been following the schedule being pieced together over the last couple months).

After taking a closer look at the schedule, it is interesting to note that 8 out 9 of the final games on the schedule are at Home (1/31/20 thru 3/6/20).

After taking a closer look at the schedule, it is interesting to note that 8 out 9 of the final games on the schedule are at Home (1/31/20 thru 3/6/20).
    And they play seven games in a row on the road in November and December. The schedule is definitely a little funky, but I think it’s better than a lot of schedules Maine has had in the last 10 years. With all the games in the first half they better have their act together early on.

Glad to see the US Nat. Development Team coming to Maine @ Orono...."BUT" looking at the Maine/Omaha series and they have it down as Friday @ Orono at 6pm and then the Saturday game is in Portland @ 12 Noon....that's kind of a crazy time after playing the night before in Orono...12 noon start is maybe for Omaha to Fly out after the game..? Still a quick turn around imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Glad to see the US Nat. Development Team coming to Maine @ Orono...."BUT" looking at the Maine/Omaha series and they have it down as Friday @ Orono at 6pm and then the Saturday game is in Portland @ 12 Noon....that's kind of a crazy time after playing the night before in Orono...12 noon start is maybe for Omaha to Fly out after the game..? Still a quick turn around imo.
    Mariners play at 6:00.

More so to do with the Mariners being home that night.

I look at it as one of those ‘same for both team’ things. I can’t recall Maine ever playing a noon game though.

There was no joy in Orono.

Gus gets $5.5 million per from Columbus.

Was going to wonder if he was Maine’s highest cap hit player ever, but thats still the GOAT Paul Kariya at $6 even. Bish got close one of his deals was $5.9.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Gus gets $5.5 million per from Columbus.

Was going to wonder if he was Maine’s highest cap hit player ever, but thats still the GOAT Paul Kariya at $6 even. Bish got close one of his deals was $5.9.
    You sent me scrambling to find Dustin Penner's contract.

Does Keith Yandle's $6.35M get an asterisk?

The schedule I am looking at has Maine playing BU three times in Orono and Providence twice in Rhode Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Runsub5 View Post
    The schedule I am looking at has Maine playing BU three times in Orono and Providence twice in Rhode Island.
    I'm seeing the same thing - sounds like the last BU image should be PC and there was some kind of error.

Never Forget!

The 3/6 game is supposed to be PC @ Maine. Maine and PC play 3x the next two seasons.

Never Forget!

Maine is still scheduled to host UAA on October 11/12 but I wouldn't make travel plans for those games just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Maine is still scheduled to host UAA on October 11/12 but I wouldn't make travel plans for those games just yet.
    They'll be in Maine this year but after that all could be a disaster for the two Alaska teams....with the WCHA having 7 teams wanting to leave in 2 years and make there own Conference and with the State of Alaska making big time cuts in both Universitys.

Never Forget!

They'll be in Maine this year but after that all could be a disaster for the two Alaska teams....with the WCHA having 7 teams wanting to leave in 2 years and make there own Conference and with the State of Alaska making big time cuts in both Universitys.
    That's not guaranteed. The budget cuts go into effect NOW. The Legislature just failed to override the governor's veto (they'll apparently try again tomorrow and again Friday but it isn't going to happen) which means about 700 of the 1562 employees at UAA just got laid off. 40 degree programs just got eliminated. Students from all over Alaska had been informed that if this happened their enrollment at the school would be postponed (read: cancelled). Kind of hard to justify paying for a hockey coach and two assistants when professors are being sent packing. Not to mention the scholarship dollars that are going almost exclusively to non-Alaskan students. The athletics budget had already been cut to the bone. There's nothing left.

Anything is possible but I really don't see how the university system can move forward with athletics, much less hockey programs that take the lion's share of the department budgets at both Anchorage and Fairbanks. The programs were almost dropped three years ago and were spared. Maybe Alaska hockey can find their own Terry Pegula to bail them out.

This will throw a monkey wrench into many teams scheduling. What a mess up there in AK.

Thread Information