X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
    My guess is it must have changed since Ralph said this...

“If we don’t win more home games, attendance may stay flat so you may see a decline in revenue,” said Ralph.

However, with lower ticket prices, he pointed out that “we may get more casual fans and visiting team fans and that could lead to an increase in merchandise and concession sales.”

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/04/...-hockey-games/
    Good. The less the university has to do with Waterfront the better.

Comment

No Portland

For 2020, the East regional has been awarded to the Times Union Center in Albany, New York, and will be hosted by ECAC Hockey on March 28-29, while the Northeast regional will be held March 27-28 at the DCU Center in Worcester, Massachusetts, with Holy Cross serving as the host. The Midwest regional will be hosted by Penn State on March 28-29 at the PPL Center in Allentown, Pennsylvania, while Denver will be the host school for the West regional March 27-28 at the Budweiser Events Center in Loveland, Colorado.

In 2021, Scared Heart and Yale will co-host the East regional March 26-27 at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, Connecticut, while New Hampshire will host the Northeast regional March 27-28 at SNHU Arena in Manchester, New Hampshire. The Midwest regional will be March 26-27 at Scheels Arena in Fargo, North Dakota, with North Dakota serving as the host, while the West regional will be at the Budweiser Events Center on March 27-28 in Loveland, Colorado, with Denver serving as the host school.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        Was there ever a chance. I dont recall that maine put in bids. Probably a $ loser anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
          Was there ever a chance. I dont recall that maine put in bids. Probably a $ loser anyway.
          UMaine bid for 2019-2021 in Portland. All three bids were rejected. Without Maine or UNH it would have been very difficult to make any money. Even with one of them it would still be a challenge. The NCAA doesn't make hosting a regional that enticing.

Comment

TBH I would rather go to Portland than Worcester or Albany, but obviously that calculus only works coming from Boston and doesn't work for all of the teams in CT/NY or Providence.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
              TBH I would rather go to Portland than Worcester or Albany, but obviously that calculus only works coming from Boston and doesn't work for all of the teams in CT/NY or Providence.
              I think Portland might be marginally more attractive than Manchester because it is on the Amtrak line. However, bus tickets from Boston to Manchester are cheap and it is an easier drive. When you consider that Manchester is a known commodity and Portland isn't that makes the NCAA decision easier.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                UMaine bid for 2019-2021 in Portland. All three bids were rejected. Without Maine or UNH it would have been very difficult to make any money. Even with one of them it would still be a challenge. The NCAA doesn't make hosting a regional that enticing.
                I don't really get this argument. It's not like Portland is Orono. I think it would have been well attended. Tourists flood into Portland every weekend during the summer already and they seem to get here okay.

On the other hand, with the prices of hotel rooms and restaurants on the peninsula, it would have been a lot more expensive for the average attendee than Manchester or Worcester.

Comment

I think it comes down to the Arena in Portland is sub-par even with the 30+ million dollar renovation. Portland should have put that money into a brand new arena.
                  Portland has so much more to offer that Manchester, Worcester, Bridgeport and even Providence. Was just in Providence for this year's Regional and I was unimpressed with what is going on for nightlife after the games. Portland's Old Port, Craft Brew Scene, Restaurants, etc., etc. are outstanding.
                  Disappointed that Portland didn't get a Regional.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                    I don't really get this argument. It's not like Portland is Orono. I think it would have been well attended. Tourists flood into Portland every weekend during the summer already and they seem to get here okay.

On the other hand, with the prices of hotel rooms and restaurants on the peninsula, it would have been a lot more expensive for the average attendee than Manchester or Worcester.
                    The NCAA doesn't share your optimistic view. There are lots of pluses and minuses to Portland vs Manchester but I think it comes down to just that the NCAA has a known commodity in Manchester and it isn't worth the risk to try something new. There isn't a great deal of upside for them.

Comment

The NCAA doesn't share your optimistic view. There are lots of pluses and minuses to Portland vs Manchester but I think it comes down to just that the NCAA has a known commodity in Manchester and it isn't worth the risk to try something new. There isn't a great deal of upside for them.
                      That line of argument is fine, they have something that works and are sticking with it.

The line "it would be a disaster without Maine and UNH" is what I don't get. Portland can't build hotels fast enough, I'd argue it's more appealing for non-Mainers (particularly those above Augusta who have a pathological hatred of southern Maine) than Mainers.

Comment

According to the NCAA it will announce the playoffs and Frozen Four sites for the following 5-years sometime in July of this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
                          According to the NCAA it will announce the playoffs and Frozen Four sites for the following 5-years sometime in July of this year.
                          I don't know what the NCAA has done for Cities to BID, but I would hope that a few of these NEW Cities would BID...Las Vegas, Nashville...

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                            That line of argument is fine, they have something that works and are sticking with it.

The line "it would be a disaster without Maine and UNH" is what I don't get. Portland can't build hotels fast enough, I'd argue it's more appealing for non-Mainers (particularly those above Augusta who have a pathological hatred of southern Maine) than Mainers.
                            Strange enough, it wouldn't be a disaster for the NCAA. It gets paid no matter, it's just how much more it can make. The real pain would be felt by UMaine itself. Hockey is not that attractive in Portland anymore - just look at the attendance that drove the Pirates away - and certainly not at the suicidal prices the NCAA would charge for an event in Portland. With the fee charged by the NCAA and the costs associated with hosting the event, a break even point might be around 3000 attendance. Even if you double that to 6000 the host committee stands to profit <$100,000. That's a big financial risk with minimal reward. Maybe the school doesn't mind but you're gambling with taxpayer dollars. As you point out, the tourism industry in southern Maine doesn't need the boost. So I'd rather the school devote the $150,000 NCAA fee to something else - like maybe recruiting? Just a thought.

Comment

• Gendron’s thoughts on recruiting rule change...

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/04/19/sports/ice-hockey-sports/umaine-mens-hockey-coach-says-new-rules-blocking-recruitment-of-hs-freshmen-a-positive-step/

Comment

I think Portland might be marginally more attractive than Manchester because it is on the Amtrak line. However, bus tickets from Boston to Manchester are cheap and it is an easier drive. When you consider that Manchester is a known commodity and Portland isn't that makes the NCAA decision easier.
                                There's that, to a limited extent...

But, Portland is a great small city, it's not a bad ride from Eastern Mass on 95, and (IMO) it's a much more attractive destination than are Worcester/Manchester combined.

Maine isn't within a continent of getting to a Regional right now, but I do think that a Portland Regional would fare well if BU, BC, maybe even UNH were sited there. It's true that the lodging is somewhat pricey there, but there are plenty of rooms up and down Rt. 1 in the off-season.

(Somebody else said this, but why oh why do so many Mainers consider Cumberland County hostile territory? My people are from Fairfield, smack-dab in the middle of Nowhere, but I love it there, and I love Portland too. We have a little bit of everything in Maine.)

Comment

Working...
                                X