X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Originally posted by GoBlue51 View Post
    Guys and gals,

BU gave up two goals to Northeastern last night in the Hockey East semifinals. According to some people on this forum, a coach has flawed offensive strategy if/when that happens. With that said, I checked the BU thread thinking their fans would be calling for Albie O'Connell to be fired. They weren't. I guess that's just a Maine thing.
    Get with the program...losing and going no where's is this programs problems....this program needs help and it is not coming from Gendron [6 years has proven that fact]….bottom line to move forward and to attract recruits and to play for something you have to start back and win games...not talk about what if and what we will see next year/year after that and on and on....time is NOW to move on and AGAIN start a rebuild/retool of the program....not happening or will with RG behind the bench. His shelf life ended after his first 4 year deal, he should have not been given any extension....period. And now we will suffer for 2 more years...unless this AD comes to figure its time to start a rebuild/retool at a price [buyout].

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
      BU has made the ncaa playoffs the previous 5 straight season, including an appearance in the NCAA championship game. You really think BU fans feel as miserable as Maine fans? Maine hasn't made it to an NCAA playoffs in that time, nor trips to Boston garden to for hockey east championships. You have to be kidding.
      Since start of 13/14 season...

BU 121-84-25, 5 NCAA playoff appearance, NCAA championship appearance, 2 Hockey East championships
      Maine 82-115-24

That sounds of crickets at the end is Maine's post season accomplishments of the Red era.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        Reminder: women's hoops v. NC State, 1:30 on ESPN2.
        ESPN PLUS 145 on Dish TV

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
          Since start of 13/14 season...

BU 121-84-25, 5 NCAA playoff appearance, NCAA championship appearance, 2 Hockey East championships
          Maine 82-115-24

That sounds of crickets at the end is Maine's post season accomplishments of the Red era.
          Maine now is a distant memory in winning....more or less a laughing stock of Hockey East.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
            a laughing stock of Hockey East.
            Not to toot my own horn, but in 2015 that's precisely what I said we'd become...that exact phrase. I lost a lot of friends over that statement. I don't imagine any of them care to admit I was right.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBlue51 View Post
              Guys and gals,

BU gave up two goals to Northeastern last night in the Hockey East semifinals. According to some people on this forum, a coach has flawed offensive strategy if/when that happens. With that said, I checked the BU thread thinking their fans would be calling for Albie O'Connell to be fired. They weren't. I guess that's just a Maine thing.
              Youre right they started calling for his head back in February at the Beanpot. Be a bigger troll ... you cant

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Congrats to Pearson, Fossier, Keeper, and Swayman on making 2nd and 3rd all hockey east teams.

https://hockeyeastonline.com/men/art...star-teams.php

Looks like Maine(4) had 2nd most number behind UMass(5).

So this is another indicator Maine has talent on par with the top of the league but there are deficiencies in depth and coaching. I don't think those are mutually exclusive since development is a key. So I wonder why Red teams consistently have a weak 4th line and weak bottom pairing. To crack the top 4 Maine has to have better depth in the line up. Maybe the roster management isn't good. I have been relatively disappointed in the transfers. I think the only one that had a meaningful impact is Doherty. But he never played, so I am not sure that really counts as being a transfer. I would like for Red to abandon the checking 4th line idea and roll another skilled line, or as skilled as it can get. Then roll 4 lines. Focus on developing the defense and maybe next year's team could surprise folks.
                Last edited by BlackI; 03-23-2019, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Looks like Keeper is a scratch for tonight's game according to this Panthers morning skate report...

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/ba...ns/c-306057072

Not surprised. But would have been cool to see him play his first game on tv against the Bruins.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    Not to toot my own horn, but in 2015 that's precisely what I said we'd become...that exact phrase. I lost a lot of friends over that statement. I don't imagine any of them care to admit I was right.
                    Good call. I'll give you credit. I didn't make a public statement (not as confident as you), but after Gendron's 2nd year I felt he was the wrong guy. His best year was the first with Tim's players. After that not so much. On another note, Finland seems to be producing goal tenders. Filip Lindberg for Umass and Kimball Union has one in Veeti Kohvaka.

Comment

It is interesting, if Keeper gets assigned to Springfield(Ahl) he would be coached by assistant Doug Janik. He would play with former black bears Matt Mangene and Blaine Byron. There also exists the possibility Brendan Robbins makes the team too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                        ESPN PLUS 145 on Dish TV
                        Yeah, sorry to give you all a bum steer. My local listings were inaccurate. I DVR'ed ESPN2 and got the wrong game.

Anyway, NC State was obviously a matchup nightmare for Maine, but the ladies hung in there just the same. Another excellent season. Thank God for women's hoops; it really makes the winter more bearable.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                          Good call. I'll give you credit. I didn't make a public statement (not as confident as you), but after Gendron's 2nd year I felt he was the wrong guy. His best year was the first with Tim's players. After that not so much. On another note, Finland seems to be producing goal tenders. Filip Lindberg for Umass and Kimball Union has one in Veeti Kohvaka.
                          I was at St. Lawrence for Red's debut. I agree with you that that was his most talented team, but they looked flat as a turd getting swept in Canton. We left there feeling very discouraged, and haven't felt any better since.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBlue51 View Post
                            Guys and gals,

Nobody called for Reds head in his first year, if BU is playing like Maine next year Albie won't be the coach yet we are stuck with Red another year
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Nobody called for Reds head in his first year, if BU is playing like Maine next year Albie won't be the coach yet we are stuck with Red another year
                              Just wanted to mention first year USHL head coach Greg Moore has Chicago Steel headed into playoffs as 2nd place team in eastern bracket of USHL. Not bad since last season they were 6th out of 9 teams. So seems like a great first year for Greg. They are the 2nd to the lowest penalized team in the USHL.

https://youtu.be/ygRzjRws2Tk
                              Last edited by BlackI; 03-23-2019, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                                Youre right they started calling for his head back in February at the Beanpot. Be a bigger troll ... you cant
                                It’s not being a troll when I’m simply reiterating things stated in this thread.

If you’re going to call for a coach to be fired, at least have a clue why you feel that way. First it was a lack of discipline and the players not responding to him. Then it was the lack of “hands.” Then it was a poor offensive system. Then it was a lack of talent.

Yet, two players just signed two-way NHL contracts and three others just signed pro contracts. Yet, other good teams are scoring the same amount of goals against one of the best goalies (Primeau) in the league. Yet, opposing coaches are saying Maine’s first line was one of the most talented in the league.

Is Red the best option for the University of Maine? Probably not. If Maine had a bigger budget/more money to spend on a hockey coach you could more than likely lure someone up to Orono, but they don’t.

Red is here for another year (at least) so constantly complaining about it is a waste of everyone’s time.

Comment

Working...
                                X