Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar

Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I 100% understand and agree with the decision not to bid, as Maine can't afford $150,000. Having said that, that is a rounding error in BC's athletic budget. Maine should not be a division one athletics program.
    BC's totals expenses for 2017-18 came to $77,850,143 while Maine's came to $21,661,278. So $150,000 is just 0.2% of BC's budget, but is only 0.7% of Maine's budget.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

Quote Originally Posted by Pucknut View Post
    In that case it might be a Denver game and CC game the same weekend, great trip if it doesn't snow.
    Denver and CC released their schedules and didn't have Maine on them so not playing them this upcoming season.

.......... Maine should not be a division one athletics program.
    As a land grant institution the University of Maine deserves to have a division 1 program. It needs to be funded at a level commensurate with other schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Runsub5 View Post
    As a land grant institution the University of Maine deserves to have a division 1 program. It needs to be funded at a level commensurate with other schools.
    With money from where?

With money from where?
    That is the challenging part.

With money from where?
    Some of the smaller schools? Increase the alcohol tax a bit to get the school some extra money? We need to find it somewhere.

Never Forget!
    With money from where?
    Ask a rich and generous alum for a donation. Oh right.

That is the challenging part.
    Right, spending money is easy. Raising it, earning it, or finding it has proven to be impossible.

Never Forget!

Right, spending money is easy. Raising it, earning it, or finding it has proven to be impossible.
    The university could stop throwing money in a giant black hole and use it to fund hockey and basketball, but we all know that will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    The university could stop throwing money in a giant black hole and use it to fund hockey and basketball, but we all know that will never happen.
    I agree. Other then the "black hole" I know that baseball has the Mahaney fund that is dedicated to baseball and pays a substantial part of their expenses. However, there are other significant costs that the athletic department must pay for. Baseball just doesn't make any sense to me in this cold northern climate. There appears to be little interest from fan's. I have been to a couple of games this spring and there are very few people there.

I agree. Other then the "black hole" I know that baseball has the Mahaney fund that is dedicated to baseball and pays a substantial part of their expenses. However, there are other significant costs that the athletic department must pay for. Baseball just doesn't make any sense to me in this cold northern climate. There appears to be little interest from fan's. I have been to a couple of games this spring and there are very few people there.
    Probably a holdover from the John Winkin halcyon days of yore...

That Black Hole has more of an opportunity to win at their level than hockey will moving forward. You’re right, it’ll never happen.

Nice try at the pun, though...

Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    Probably a holdover from the John Winkin halcyon days of yore...
    Exactly.

You can’t assume that every game is a home and home. There’s only three games left to fill, so one cannot assume that Maine is hosting Princeton and going to St. Lawrence because they “should be” return games. There’s too many ECAC games on schedule for my liking anyways.

Never Forget!
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbar View Post
    That Black Hole has more of an opportunity to win at their level than hockey will moving forward. You’re right, it’ll never happen.

Nice try at the pun, though...
    I've been calling it a black hole because money goes in never to be seen again. The program loses over a million dollars a year, even with two cash games every season. And it could go 150-0 and win the next 10 national championships and it still wouldn't be in the neighborhood of profitable. It's also a headache for Title IX. Contrast that with hockey, which once was the most profitable Division I public program east of Ann Arbor and routinely cleared over $2 million in profits each year. This wasn't even the halcyon days of 42-1-2 and Harold Alfond's gold card; it was a decade ago. Now not a single program on campus makes a profit every season. Fix the hockey program and it can go back to paying for itself, and providing money to feed that black hole. It wouldn't take much of an investment to turn hockey around and return it to profitability. How much would we have to invest in football to make it profitable? Is that even possible given that only a relative handful of programs in the nation turn a profit?

I've been calling it a black hole because money goes in never to be seen again. The program loses over a million dollars a year, even with two cash games every season. And it could go 150-0 and win the next 10 national championships and it still wouldn't be in the neighborhood of profitable. It's also a headache for Title IX. Contrast that with hockey, which once was the most profitable Division I public program east of Ann Arbor and routinely cleared over $2 million in profits each year. This wasn't even the halcyon days of 42-1-2 and Harold Alfond's gold card; it was a decade ago. Now not a single program on campus makes a profit every season. Fix the hockey program and it can go back to paying for itself, and providing money to feed that black hole. It wouldn't take much of an investment to turn hockey around and return it to profitability. How much would we have to invest in football to make it profitable? Is that even possible given that only a relative handful of programs in the nation turn a profit?
    There’s approximately 35 members of the football program that don’t receive any financial aid, scholarship or otherwise, from the athletic department. The cost of those students to attend Maine do not count in the figures you reference. They do however, count towards general revenue for the University. Those students are paying tuitions, fees, etc. like any other student. That adds up to approximately $1 million annually. If there’s no football, those students aren’t here, nor is that money.

Also consider something else: how do you balance athletic scholarships without football? Either you cut women’s sports, or you have to add more men’s sports, which I would guarantee would lose more money than football does, simply because they wouldn’t be revenue sports.

Lastly...

A niche sport will not be profitable, especially when the niche sport desperately needs a new facility in the next decade.

Never Forget!
    There’s approximately 35 members of the football program that don’t receive any financial aid, scholarship or otherwise, from the athletic department. The cost of those students to attend Maine do not count in the figures you reference. They do however, count towards general revenue for the University. Those students are paying tuitions, fees, etc. like any other student. That adds up to approximately $1 million annually. If there’s no football, those students aren’t here, nor is that money.

Also consider something else: how do you balance athletic scholarships without football? Either you cut women’s sports, or you have to add more men’s sports, which I would guarantee would lose more money than football does, simply because they wouldn’t be revenue sports.

Lastly...

A niche sport will not be profitable, especially when the niche sport desperately needs a new facility in the next decade.
    Admit the next 35 students who were rejected because they couldn't play football.

Create a new women's crew team. Bonus: maybe we can con some rich celebrity to "buy" their kids onto the team.

That "niche sport" was profitable until 2015 or 2016. Has the football team ever turned a profit?

You can’t assume that every game is a home and home. There’s only three games left to fill, so one cannot assume that Maine is hosting Princeton and going to St. Lawrence because they “should be” return games. There’s too many ECAC games on schedule for my liking anyways.
    What do you have? I have 2 Alaska-Anchorage, 2 Omaha, 2 @ Quinnipiac. Guessing 2 @ St. Lawrence so I'm not sure what the other 2 games would be? I know Princeton is out w their schedule full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by Liveatjrl View Post
    What do you have? I have 2 Alaska-Anchorage, 2 Omaha, 2 @ Quinnipiac. Guessing 2 @ St. Lawrence so I'm not sure what the other 2 games would be? I know Princeton is out w their schedule full.
    12/10 @Yale

12/10 @Yale
    Is there a type of schedule out at the present time or are these leaks on some games as in UAA in October; Yale in December and Omaha in January.

Thread Information