Bob Emery announces retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill-R- View Post
    He didn’t have a great record as head coach over at Castleton. Not sure about the whole situation there. I just hope the school selects the best candidate.
    Based on his results at Castleton, and Plattsburgh’s recent results (I don’t know if he’s the “lead recruiter”), might be wise for the Cardinals to do a thorough search. Worst case, you know you have an in-house candidate at the ready.

Comment

Re: Bob Emery announces retirement

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
      Come on this is 2019.....you cant just "pick" your coach/teacher anymore....you don't want to upset the snowflakes. They have to go through the process.
      This has nothing to do with "snowflakes" - get a life. State institutions have requirements for job postings and candidate selection set by the legislature. Interim hires can be made "on the fly," but long term positions must be posted. Most private schools have those kinds of requirements as well. In fact, almost every job in this country has a specified hiring process. This also ensures that possibly candidates who don't come immediately to mind for a position get an opportunity.
      Last edited by NUProf; 03-15-2019, 04:45 PM.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Many of my Hockey friends including myself have been around for many years of Laker, Plattsburgh battles. Always on the edge of your seats. Coach Emery was responsible for much hair pulling in the OZ. Great epic battles. He was earlier referred to as the “Laker killer”. He has been a brilliant coach.. Many of us if the truth be known could not stand to hear his name even mentioned.
        So let me tell you why we here in the OZ started to change. Two years ago when our Coach’s wife passed away from fighting Ovarian Cancer for a long time we met a different Coach Emery. We knew he was on the phone with Coach Gosek every week about Mary. We knew he contributed heavy to Mary’s foundation. On the day of services for Mary it rained all day. There was a 4 to 5 hour waiting line to get into the funeral home. I looked up and there was Coach Emery with his assistant standing in the rain, they had driven the long 4 hours to get to Oswego that day. We now had a better feeling for the man that he is. It has been said that good things happen to good people. Coach Emery was certainly a very successful Coach. Best to him in his retirement

Comment

Originally posted by lakont55 View Post
          Many of my Hockey friends including myself have been around for many years of Laker, Plattsburgh battles. Always on the edge of your seats. Coach Emery was responsible for much hair pulling in the OZ. Great epic battles. He was earlier referred to as the “Laker killer”. He has been a brilliant coach.. Many of us if the truth be known could not stand to hear his name even mentioned.
          So let me tell you why we here in the OZ started to change. Two years ago when our Coach’s wife passed away from fighting Ovarian Cancer for a long time we met a different Coach Emery. We knew he was on the phone with Coach Gosek every week about Mary. We knew he contributed heavy to Mary’s foundation. On the day of services for Mary it rained all day. There was a 4 to 5 hour waiting line to get into the funeral home. I looked up and there was Coach Emery with his assistant standing in the rain, they had driven the long 4 hours to get to Oswego that day. We now had a better feeling for the man that he is. It has been said that good things happen to good people. Coach Emery was certainly a very successful Coach. Best to him in his retirement
          Emery will be missed by me, for lots of reasons.

The triumvirate of coaches that founded the storied Prime Link tournament are now all retired. Together Beaney, McShane, and Emery contributed to the D3 hockey culture of the Champlain Valley. Emery was the last man standing (given his competitive nature, it wouldn't surprise me if he waited for McShane's exit to be the last man standing). Sadly, Middlebury has faded into mediocrity, but Norwich has stood tall through the transition with a great hire, and I hope that Plattsburgh will hire a worthy replacement. Houle may be a good choice, but it's always dangerous to look inside for a new hire. It's hard for the new guy to become his own man. Cam Ellsworth has done well at Norwich by making the program his own. I would be afraid that Houle might suffer the same kind of fate as Sinclair has had at Midd. Look long, look hard for a replacement. I wish Plattsburgh luck, because I really love the high energy games between NU and PSUC and I hope that continues.

I really thought all three of the iconic Champlain Valley Coaches were individuals who put the athletes first.
          Last edited by NUProf; 03-15-2019, 08:17 PM.
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

I wish Bob the best in his retirement. He's earned it and his reasons for doing so now are great ones. He brought us some great years but now it's time to move on. I'm not surprised Steve's name was the first mentioned as a replacement though I would caution against it. He took a good Castleton State team and immediately made them worse but he's also been unable to show he can be part of recruiting the same level of talent that some of our SUNYAC rivals are. We can do better and need to do a national search and hire the best guy no matter where he is right now and think that if done honestly Steve wouldn't be that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
              Moffatt is most definitely the front-runner at the start, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if one or two interested candidates were of a caliber that is hard to turn down.
              Can you please provide your source within the department that told you he is most definitely the frontrunner at the start even though the hiring process hasn't even been started yet?

Comment

When I was a cadet at Norwich, I would go to the games but didn't understand or appreciate the larger DIII hockey landscape. I had a better understanding of the Middlebury rivalry, but that was mostly due to old alums (read: Charlie Crosby) telling stories of getting into brawls at football games back in the day. I didn't know much about Plattsburgh other than the fact that they had awesome jerseys. It wasn't until after graduating that I really became a fan of the DIII game and understood the stature of McShane, Beaney, and Emery. By all accounts, all three of them were and are class acts. The story about the grace and heart Coach Emery showed Coach Gosek made me tear up a bit. Excellent coach, sounds like a better man.
                Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by pux44 View Post
                  Can you please provide your source within the department that told you he is most definitely the frontrunner at the start even though the hiring process hasn't even been started yet?
                  My source is logical thinking. Moffatt is resigned a head coaching position to come back as an assistant at Plattsburgh, which certainly opens up the possibility that replacing Emery was already part of the discussion. Do I know this to 100% be the case? No, of course not. I am participating on this fan forum as a fan, not as a journalist. I’m allowed to have opinions and to speculate just as much as anybody else here.

All of that said, I hope Mike Howard hires the applicant he genuinely believes to be the best for the job. There’s no doubt the last few seasons have not quite met the standards the Plattsburgh faithful were once used to, and the program needs somebody to turn that downward slide around.

You’re right to point out the concerns on Moffatt’s résumé, of course. His record at Castleton was far from great. On the recruiting front, he shares the responsibility for the struggles of the last few years. Most disturbing is the fact that Moffatt had total control of the powerplay, and that unit was among the worst in Division III this year... but despite all of that, I still believe Moffatt is at least the early front-runner.
                  Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                  SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                  ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                  NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                  NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                  NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                  NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by pux44 View Post
                    Of course he's the front runner - as of right now he's the only candidate. But as you've read from every Plattsburgh fan that has commented, we have our reservations about just giving him the keys to the car. We want a thorough search and the best candidate that applies.
                    Steve
                    Penn State Class of '95
                    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by lakont55 View Post
                      ^
                      This.

I couldn't stand the guy. He always seemed to have our number, always just tore our hearts out at the absolute worst times. Sort of an evil Fred Shero with "the fog". Talking mysteriously into his cuff. Taking time outs at seemingly crazy times, pulling goalies with 5 minutes left- only to have it work and crush us. Seemed rough on his players.

Then Mary got sick and we saw who the guy really was. After games during the handshake he would pick out Mary in the crowd and give her a wave and a solidarity fist. When I saw him standing in line at Mary's wake I realized that I'd had him all wrong. Then the next game at the Marano Center he sent his team out on Oswego ice for warmups all wearing "Mary Gosek" jerseys. He had me. Congratulations Coach Emery and thanks. Welcome to retirement- you'll love it.
                      Oswego State 1980 Grad
                      (attended in one way or another from 1968-1988, don't ask..... )

Comment

I certainly wish Bob all the best in retirement. As the years have gone by, I’ve run into him more than a few times. Whether it was in Duluth, Buffalo, Or the original 4 Primelink sites, he would always at least stop and say ‘hi’. No, he want perfect (none of us is), and I didn’t always agree with some things, but there was no question he is a great coach. And if you did get to know him even a little, a lot more good came out than bad, by far.
                        Beaney, Emery and McShane. Always great competition, but always great respect among them.
                        As far as the next coach, he won’t be the replacement-he will simply be the next coach. Do a search, and pick the best one.
                        Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by ColdInRomney View Post
                          ^
                          This.

I couldn't stand the guy. He always seemed to have our number, always just tore our hearts out at the absolute worst times. Sort of an evil Fred Shero with "the fog". Talking mysteriously into his cuff. Taking time outs at seemingly crazy times, pulling goalies with 5 minutes left- only to have it work and crush us. Seemed rough on his players.

Then Mary got sick and we saw who the guy really was. After games during the handshake he would pick out Mary in the crowd and give her a wave and a solidarity fist. When I saw him standing in line at Mary's wake I realized that I'd had him all wrong. Then the next game at the Marano Center he sent his team out on Oswego ice for warmups all wearing "Mary Gosek" jerseys. He had me. Congratulations Coach Emery and thanks. Welcome to retirement- you'll love it.
                          Ditto.....Bob’s unwavering support of Mary and Ed will always be the lens I view him through...Congrats Coach.
                          LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

If Moffat is not selected, does he leave?
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              If Moffat is not selected, does he leave?
                              I would think so. A new coach would bring his own assistant(s), wouldn’t he?
                              Steve
                              Penn State Class of '95
                              Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

As an Oswego student, Emery struck fear in all of us. Lakers went 3-6-1 during my four years there. He was always a joy to interview for WTOP during whiteout, cracked a ton of jokes. But I'm telling you when the team came out white their warmup jerseys and Mary Gosek's name on the back, that may have been my favorite memory from all four years. What a class act.

Originally posted by ColdInRomney View Post
                                ^
                                This.

Comment

Working...
                                X