Bob Emery announces retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
    Moffatt is most definitely the front-runner at the start, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if one or two interested candidates were of a caliber that is hard to turn down.
    I don’t think Every Plattsburgh fan feels that way. I feel Steve Moffat with make Cardinal Hockey proud!

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
      Of course he's the front runner - as of right now he's the only candidate. But as you've read from every Plattsburgh fan that has commented, we have our reservations about just giving him the keys to the car. We want a thorough search and the best candidate that applies.
      I don’t believe you speak for every Plattsburgh fan. I believe he would do an excellent job.

Comment

I would think so. A new coach would bring his own assistant(s), wouldn’t he?
        That didn’t happen at Norwich, and it turned out pretty good.
        Go 'Wick!

Comment

Re: Bob Emery announces retirement

Originally posted by Birds View Post
          I don’t believe you speak for every Plattsburgh fan. I believe he would do an excellent job.
          I don't believe I said I speak for every Plattsburgh fan. At the time I posted, all of the commenters mentioned wanting a full search for the best candidate as we had reservations for a coach that won an average of just over 10 wins a year in his only head coaching gig. Plus he was the top assistant on a Plattsburgh team that needed a late season surge to crack .500 this year.

If he's the best candidate to apply, by all means hire him. I, for one, would like to see a legitimate search first.
          Steve
          Penn State Class of '95
          Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

I would think so. A new coach would bring his own assistant(s), wouldn’t he?
            That's not that easy to do at a state school. You can't just get rid of people for no reason. And remember, at the SUNY schools, all coaches are technically instructors (but not professors), so they fall under the same rules as any other instructor at the school when it comes to hiring and firing.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

First and foremost this is to take NOTHING away from what Bob did with respect to Mary and the whole Oswego family, but this man didn't just start being like this in the past few seasons. When my grandmother (an avid Cardinal fan from the 80's) passed away in the mid 90's, Bob showed up to the funeral. I, at the time, was a young pre-teen and Cardinal hockey was THE team and Bob was THE coach. I was drawn to his passion on and off the ice, but watching him show up to "just a fans" funeral meant a lot to me. It didn't stop there. When my uncle was diagnosed with brain cancer in his early 20's, Bob would send cards and have players drop in to see him in the hospital during his several trips. Again, my uncle was just one of the fans. He didn't give thousands to the program. He wasn't some politician or public figure. He just loved Cardinal Hockey (and was a bit loud at time). By this time I was a late teen, and still held Bob and Cardinal hockey on a high pedestal.

The other thing I loved about Bob, tho some would disagree, was his treatment towards his players. Was he loud? Yes. Did he go over the top sometimes? Maybe. Was he in your face? You're **** right. But did he want the best out of his players, both on and off the ice? Absolutely! I will never forget to this day him sitting his best player (and probably a Top 15 of all time player) for a SUNYAC Finals playoff game because he had failed a test. Not a class, not a season, a test. He held his players accountable no matter who they were, or how important they were to the team. You got a game misconduct, you were sitting. Again, he didn't care who you were or how big the next game was, you sat (and I'm not talking about the extra game the rules can give). We see teams (not naming names) who consistently produce "goon" games with no repercussions, not in Bob's house. For years Plattsburgh was one of (if not the best) least penalized teams in the nation. Discipline.

As I have grown and am now coaching high end youth travel teams myself, while I do have my own style, I would be lying if I said Ive taken nothing from what I've watch in Bob over the years. Both on and off the ice. Did he come across as arrogant sometimes, especially to opposing fans? Most likely. Was it justified tho? I can tell you this, if you ever needed something, Bob would be the first in line to help in some way that he was allowed.

But on the flip side, as Bob has children the same age as my own, I can only imagine how tough it has been to give 110% to his program, and balance family life. How many games has he missed of his kids when he is in Buffalo or Canada on a recruiting trip? I can only imagine the weight that has been lifted off of his shoulders now that he only has to be a Dad to 3 kids instead of 33 each year. I still won't be surprised in another 8-10 years you see Bob's name appear in another teams media guide.
              Remy Babineaux
              remyb616@gmail.com
              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

I don't believe I said I speak for every Plattsburgh fan. At the time I posted, all of the commenters mentioned wanting a full search for the best candidate as we had reservations for a coach that won an average of just over 10 wins a year in his only head coaching gig. Plus he was the top assistant on a Plattsburgh team that needed a late season surge to crack .500 this year.

If he's the best candidate to apply, by all means hire him. I, for one, would like to see a legitimate search first.
                You have to kind of take some posts with a grain of salt. Most of the "pro-Moff" fans also see nothing wrong with the current team. They also see no "trend" over the past few years in Cardinal Country. Do I think Moff is a quality coach? Absolutely. There are a ton of schools who would probably hire him. But is he the only/right choice? Debatable. And I am sorry to say, until Plattsburgh State can figure out its financial situation and start offering the same packages as other schools, it won't matter who steps in. Scotty Bowman isn't going to put Plattsburgh to the dominant SUNYAC force of the late 90s early 2000's. As I posted on BookFace, there are too many factors as to the downfall of the great empire that was once Plattsburgh State mens ice hockey. And please don't give me the "well the womens team...."

The Plattsburgh State AD and Administration have a HUGE decision to make in the upcoming weeks. Probably, and arguably, the biggest decision in school history since 1987. This team is one of, if not the most, influential sports hockey programs to a community in DIII. While other schools have a large following, the majority of Plattsburgh has always been COMMUNITY based and not STUDENT based (ala Geneseo and to an extent Oswego). If the Administration doesn't make a quality (and right) hire, and the team continues down this downward path, the community will stop coming. Yes you will get the "diehard?" fans (love you Birds) who will go and cheer through a winless season, but the majority of fans will leave. With them leaving, they take their $$$, sponsors and donations. If the men's hockey program goes down the tube, what's left? A women's team that wins Natty's but only gets 500 fans a game?
                Remy Babineaux
                remyb616@gmail.com
                D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                  The other thing I loved about Bob, tho some would disagree, was his treatment towards his players. Was he loud? Yes. Did he go over the top sometimes? Maybe. Was he in your face? You're **** right. But did he want the best out of his players, both on and off the ice? Absolutely! I will never forget to this day him sitting his best player (and probably a Top 15 of all time player) for a SUNYAC Finals playoff game because he had failed a test. Not a class, not a season, a test. He held his players accountable no matter who they were, or how important they were to the team. You got a game misconduct, you were sitting. Again, he didn't care who you were or how big the next game was, you sat (and I'm not talking about the extra game the rules can give). We see teams (not naming names) who consistently produce "goon" games with no repercussions, not in Bob's house. For years Plattsburgh was one of (if not the best) least penalized teams in the nation. Discipline.
                  The first time I really saw Bob "in action" was in 1993 at the frozen four. I traveled out to Minnesota as a spectator to visit my brother who lived down the street from Maplewood Arena, the first neutral host site for D3.

Back then, they still had a consolation game, and it was Plattsburgh against Elmira. Of course, as we all know, consolation games in a national tournament are worthless and nobody wants to play in them. The game was, to say the least, a bit "rough."

I want to say it was the third period when a Plattsburgh player commits a dumb penalty (not like a trip or something, along the lines of an illegal hit). Emery calls the ref over. The ref then goes to the penalty box. The player then gets out and leaves the ice.

That's right, Emery told the ref to kick his player out. Well, technically, he was telling the ref he was kicking the player out.
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Coach Emery will be on live with local radio station WCVP 101.3 The Game at around 4:40 PM ET today. Click here to listen live.

EDIT: The interview aired and there are two main takeaways:

1) Emery intends to keep working in hockey.

2) Emery fully endorsed Steve Moffat as the next head coach, saying the administration would be crazy not to hire him and that it would harm recruiting to not hire him.
                    Last edited by Scott_TG; 03-18-2019, 04:05 PM.

Comment

As it was a pretape, the interview is already up on The Game's site.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                        Coach Emery will be on live with local radio station WCVP 101.3 The Game at around 4:40 PM ET today. Click here to listen live.

EDIT: The interview aired and there are two main takeaways:

1) Emery intends to keep working in hockey.
                        This caught me by surprise. The way he phrased it, though, made it sound like he didn't retire for other opportunities. He made it sound like he retired and other opportunities have presented itself.
                        Steve
                        Penn State Class of '95
                        Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

This caught me by surprise. The way he phrased it, though, made it sound like he didn't retire for other opportunities. He made it sound like he retired and other opportunities have presented itself.
                          Sounded like he was gonna resign until the retirement option became ”available”. Did I hear that right?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-R- View Post
                            Sounded like he was gonna resign until the retirement option became ”available”. Did I hear that right?
                            Yes, he said that we has been looking for a change and that after turning 55 last week some options came up that allowed him to retire instead of resign. Which is how NYSTRT works. Based on what his Tier is he can retire with full pension at 55 if he has 30 years in. He can then work in any private employment that does not provide services to any NYS public employer. This includes working for state employers in another state so he can go coach or admin for any non-NY public colleges like some of the MASCAC or WIAC schools and still collect his NYS pension. He can also work for NYS public employers if less than $30k annually so I'm sure Buffalo State will be calling offering him their women's hockey HC gig

Comment

My eyebrows did raise a little when I heard that. However, what caught me more was his statement about being 55 and 30 years NYS Service. I know being a Tier 3 myself, we can use Chapter 15 where you get 60% retirement if you are 55 and have 30 years service. Not sure if it will work being a civilian item already, but it just seemed funny the whole 55 and 30 years service got brought up. We basically resign from corrections and get another NYS retirement eligible job for a day and then retire from that job to get the extra retirement.

With the whole Moff thing, I wouldn't expect anything less than him to say all that. Both for recruiting and the fact he has always been his pick.
                              Remy Babineaux
                              remyb616@gmail.com
                              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Working...
                              X