Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who Said That Some Universities and Their Athletic Departments Aren't Corrupt?

Colorado Cadets Fan

Re: Who Said That Some Universities and Their Athletic Departments Aren't Corrupt?

Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    In a number of the instances in this case, the student was never told about the shenanigans their parents were up to. In one case, the kid was baffled when his interviewer asked him about being an athlete.
    Same thing can be said for parent pride under these circumstances. "My kid got into Harvard and so proud of him/her (of course I paid $1,000,000 to grease the admissions wheels, but its my kid)."
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Re: Who Said That Some Universities and Their Athletic Departments Aren't Corrupt?

I've seen a couple articles now about Lawsuits being filed against these universities by highly qualified students who were rejected by them. Should be interesting to see how that plays out.
    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Quote Originally Posted by gojackets View Post
    I've seen a couple articles now about Lawsuits being filed against these universities by highly qualified students who were rejected by them. Should be interesting to see how that plays out.
    While I sympathize I think it may be hard to prove that they were the one not admitted over all the others

Quote Originally Posted by WIrinkrat View Post
    While I sympathize I think it may be hard to prove that they were the one not admitted over all the others
    No doubt. But if nothing else, it gives them a little bit of revenge forcing these schools to deal with the lawsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    No doubt. But if nothing else, it gives them a little bit of revenge forcing these schools to deal with the lawsuits.
    ...and get the truth out via sworn testimony under oath.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

I am afraid my nephew is going to go to jail. He had to pay $300 to be on the UM crew team. He is always complaining his knees hurt, too. Of course, he was already admitted to the U, and Crew is club for men, and the $300 is to pay for the boathouse fees. As far as lazy reporting about the scholarships, I am sure the reporters ran into the explanation about how Ivy's don't give athletic scholarships when talking about their fakey athletic scholarships, and just decided it was easier to use the term.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Loved Kellyanne Conway's tweet: "They worried their daughters are as stupid as their mothers."
    Where do I click on like on here?
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Colorado Cadets Fan

Quote Originally Posted by WIrinkrat View Post
    There are large numbers of well qualified students who didn't get in. Proving that they were the one who would have gotten the spot instead of one of these frauds is very difficult to do. Somebody was denied, but who?
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

And there's another larger decision to be argued in the courts: to what extend should private institutions be allowed to develop and adhere to their own admission criteria?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

And there's another larger decision to be argued in the courts: to what extend should private institutions be allowed to develop and adhere to their own admission criteria?
    This is, I think, an interesting question, but not one that is at all relevant to this particular scandal, since these were individuals who were fraudulently circumventing the institutions' admission criteria. There is extensive litigation ongoing concerning affirmative action admissions policies at private as well as public universities. However, the most direct parallel to what happened here, namely schools granting admission to students whose parents provided large donations to the university, is extremely unlikely to be found to be illegal were someone to sue over it, as "insufficiently wealthy to make large donations" is not a protected class under federal law.

Some of these, the school was violated by a coach, and it was not the school's intent to violate any rules. Then, it is a simple bribery case, with financial and/or tax law breaking, too.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Some of these, the school was violated by a coach, and it was not the school's intent to violate any rules. Then, it is a simple bribery case, with financial and/or tax law breaking, too.
    Exactly- this wasn’t a case of the college admitting a kid because the family donated a building and they deemed it in the best interest of the institution. This was bribery and fraud, plain and simple. The question is will coaches need to “justify” their recruits to the admissions department from now on, or or have some kind of “background check” to make sure each recruit is legit-instead of just handing over a list of names to be admitted.

Could there be deeper reasons (other than abject stupidity, lack of ethics and principles, enabling affluence, and condescending arrogance) that prompted the criminal actions exposed in this scandal?

https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/201...-universities/

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Could there be deeper reasons (other than abject stupidity, lack of ethics and principles, enabling affluence, and condescending arrogance) that prompted the criminal actions exposed in this scandal?

https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/201...-universities/
    I’d say that dude is full of crap and note how he didn’t provide any data or facts to support his opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gojackets View Post
    I’d say that dude is full of crap and note how he didn’t provide any data or facts to support his opinion.
    It always helps to remember that, over the last 60 years, the conservative position on race relations has evolved from, "Segregation now; segregation forever," to, "Ok, sure, we admit it. We spent 300 years stealing all of your stuff. We're sorry, and we promise not to do it again, but it would be reverse racism to ask for your stuff back."

Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    It always helps to remember that, over the last 60 years, the conservative position on race relations has evolved from, "Segregation now; segregation forever," to, "Ok, sure, we admit it. We spent 300 years stealing all of your stuff. We're sorry, and we promise not to do it again, but it would be reverse racism to ask for your stuff back."
    hey dimwit, the politician who said that was a Democrat, you know, the party that has kept the black man down for 150 years after the Republicans freed them.

here is one of the better articles I have read on the topic of this thread:https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...arents/584695/
    Apparently Democrats believe allowing unwanted infants to perish after birth constitutes a form of women’s health care. One woman's treasure, is another woman's trash. A newborn of an illegal has won the lottery, free health care, citizenship, welfare likely for the mom, meanwhile an unwanted infant of a citizen is denied health care, and denied life itself.

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    hey dimwit, the politician who said that was a Democrat, you know, the party that has kept the black man down for 150 years after the Republicans freed them.[/URL]
    I said "conservative" instead of "Republican" for a reason. You should try coming up with some bull**** that hasn't been completely discredited.

Thread Information