Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Said That Some Universities and Their Athletic Departments Aren't Corrupt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Said That Some Universities and Their Athletic Departments Aren't Corrupt?

Here's an accessible version of the story...where you don't have to jump through Facebook and Google hoops like a trained seal...anyone know if any hockey program got tainted?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...fman-1.5052838
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 03-12-2019, 07:04 PM.

Re: Who Said That Some Universities and Their Athletic Departments Aren't Corrupt?

Note that the thread "ADs getting help cleaning house" is already covering this.

Comment

Re: Who Said That Some Universities and Their Athletic Departments Aren't Corrupt?

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
      Note that the thread "ADs getting help cleaning house" is already covering this.
      Yes, I know.

I had already read the article that I posted and came over here to start a new thread with it. But I saw the thread that you mentioned, opened it and saw that the gatekeepers needed to be satisfied before they would allow you to access the article. Not for me. And I thought for anyone else who feels the same way I have an easier/better option.

That's why I decided to continue with my original intention.

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Just came across this update with more names and details.

"Now listen here Wade, this is not my deal here"...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-scandal.html

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          Just came across this update with more names and details.

"Now listen here Wade, this is not my deal here"...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-scandal.html
          Loved Kellyanne Conway's tweet: "They worried their daughters are as stupid as their mothers."
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The number of articles I have read about this that have stated that coaches were paid off to help kids get athletic scholarships to prestigious schools is ridiculous. I'm not a fake newser, but this is making me question a few things. Nevermind that some of these schools don't have athletic scholarships to begin with, but what economic sense would it make to pay a million dollars for a $300,000 athletic scholarship?

How taking advantage of comparatively lax academic standards offered to athletes has been confused with receiving scholarships is perplexing to me.

Comment

I love the part where they used the sailing team to cheat to get in. I didn't even know there was NCAA Sailing HA HA HA

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Loved Kellyanne Conway's tweet: "They worried their daughters are as stupid as their mothers."
                Yeah, that was hilarious.

And Jerry Lundegaard breaks me up.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                  The number of articles I have read about this that have stated that coaches were paid off to help kids get athletic scholarships to prestigious schools is ridiculous. I'm not a fake newser, but this is making me question a few things. Nevermind that some of these schools don't have athletic scholarships to begin with, but what economic sense would it make to pay a million dollars for a $300,000 athletic scholarship?

How taking advantage of comparatively lax academic standards offered to athletes has been confused with receiving scholarships is perplexing to me.
                  I think your missing their strategy, assuming I understand this scheme correctly.

Schools want well rounded students. The more well rounded you are, the more "points" you get. So, besides grades, they look at extra curricular activities, sports, arts, charity work, etc.

Coaches of sports teams, whether an NCAA sport or not (as well as in some schools marching bands or other areas where the school is known for) will sometimes put in an extra word to the admissions staff if there is someone they really want on their team.

It doesn’t matter whether the school offers scholarships in the respective activity. It’s just a matter of using any advantage in the applicants background to get in.

So, if they can bribe a coach to put in a (false) good word for their child, then that’s another possible advantage trying to get into that school. It’s not like these kids are actually going to play that sport. It’s all a scam.

Also, this has absolutely nothing to do with economic sense. These one percenters don’t care about that. They only care about getting their kid into these "top brand" schools. No matter how much it costs.
                  Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 03-13-2019, 06:57 PM.
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    I think your missing their strategy, assuming I understand this scheme correctly.

Schools want well rounded students. The more well rounded you are, the more "points" you get. So, besides grades, they look at extra curricular activities, sports, arts, charity work, etc.

Coaches of sports teams, whether an NCAA sport or not (as well as in some schools marching bands or other areas where the school is known for) will sometimes put in an extra word to the admissions staff if there is someone they really want on their team.

It doesn’t matter whether the school offers scholarships in the respective activity. It’s just a matter of using any advantage in the applicants background to get in.

So, if they can bribe a coach to put in a (false) good word for their child, then that’s another possible advantage trying to get into that school. It’s not like these kids are actually going to play that sport. It’s all a scam.

Also, this has absolutely nothing to do with economic sense. These one percenters don’t care about that. They only care about getting their kid into these "top brand" schools. No matter how much it costs.

I'm not missing anything.

These people are not angling to receive athletic scholarships, but its been reported in many articles that these people were paying to coaches to offer them athletic scholarships to XX University. Then, some of the schools don't even offer athletic scholarships so it's double fail reporting.

They were paying coaches to include them in the admissions process as athletes so they could take advantage of lax standards that are offered to some athletes. I get what is going on here and think it needs to be reported factually and correctly which is not happening in many cases.

I also think the perception that these people were getting athletic scholarships paints athletic departments in a far more corrupt light than they need to be because there would be several additional layers of checks and balances with compliance that would be gone thru if people were receiving scholarships for sports they weren't playing.

As it is, there were obviously bad actors in athletics, but not systemic corruption throughout entire athletic departments which might be inferred if the scholarship thing were in fact true.
                    Last edited by WIrinkrat; 03-13-2019, 07:37 PM.

Comment

I'm not missing anything.

These people are not angling to receive athletic scholarships, but its been reported in many articles that these people were paying to coaches to offer them athletic scholarships to XX University. Then, some of the schools don't even offer athletic scholarships so it's double fail reporting.

They were paying coaches to include them in the admissions process as athletes so they could take advantage of lax standards that are offered to some athletes. I get what is going on here and think it needs to be reported factually and correctly which is not happening in many cases.

I also think the perception that these people were getting athletic scholarships paints athletic departments in a far more corrupt light than they need to be because there would be several additional layers of checks and balances with compliance that would be gone thru if people were receiving scholarships for sports they weren't playing.

As it is, there were obviously bad actors in athletics, but not systemic corruption throughout entire athletic departments which might be inferred if the scholarship thing were in fact true.
                      Okay. I get you now. You’re right, that’s lousy reporting.
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                        Okay. I get you now. You’re right, that’s lousy reporting.
                        wow, "lousy reporting"
                        I'm shocked!!

the bigger scam here are the ACT/SAT scores themselves
                        the scores have a higher correlation with family SES (social economic status) than they do with successfully earning a degree
                        so why is that important?
                        follow the money, college costs have increased far faster than inflation over the last 30 - 40 years
                        IOW, it predicts ability to pay for college better than it does success in college

when my grandfather was college age only the upper class and upper middle class went to college
                        after WWII the common shmoe went too thanks to the GI Bill
                        college was cheap enough that somebody from the lower classes could go to school and work while going to pay for it
                        not anymore
                        it is the new aristocracy, while college professors and other people of privilege yack about "white privilege" (in their ivory tower EVERYBODY is privileged except the guy that takes care of their yard and the gal who is nanny for their kid) it is really a class based privilege.
                        And note that while they talk about being "inclusive" their gardener, their maid, their nanny, and other people of color ( and they are always people of color) not only don't get a piece of the same pie, they end up chewing the leftover meat off the bones after the aristocrats (they like to call themselves "elites") are through with it, after all in a meritocracy, the spoils go to those who earn and deserve it.

Comment

It isn't about athletic scholarships, it's about admission preferences for recruited athletes at said schools. The "students" were not even athletes, but had fake athletic credentials
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                            It isn't about athletic scholarships, it's about admission preferences for recruited athletes at said schools. The "students" were not even athletes, but had fake athletic credentials
                            Again, no kidding. You missed the point of my post. I am frustrated by the “fake news” reporting that these kids parents were paying “to receive athletic scholarships” as was reported by many outlets in the early going

Comment

Again, no kidding. You missed the point of my post. I am frustrated by the “fake news” reporting that these kids parents were paying “to receive athletic scholarships” as was reported by many outlets in the early going
                              Okay, I was kind of skimming. I don't get why would somebody pay that much for admission to USC? It's a good school, but there are plenty of schools with equivalent reputations.
                              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X