Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Said That Some Universities and Their Athletic Departments Aren't Corrupt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who Said That Some Universities and Their Athletic Departments Aren't Corrupt?

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    And there's another larger decision to be argued in the courts: to what extend should private institutions be allowed to develop and adhere to their own admission criteria?
    Some of these, the school was violated by a coach, and it was not the school's intent to violate any rules. Then, it is a simple bribery case, with financial and/or tax law breaking, too.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
      Some of these, the school was violated by a coach, and it was not the school's intent to violate any rules. Then, it is a simple bribery case, with financial and/or tax law breaking, too.
      Exactly- this wasn’t a case of the college admitting a kid because the family donated a building and they deemed it in the best interest of the institution. This was bribery and fraud, plain and simple. The question is will coaches need to “justify” their recruits to the admissions department from now on, or or have some kind of “background check” to make sure each recruit is legit-instead of just handing over a list of names to be admitted.

Comment

Re: Who Said That Some Universities and Their Athletic Departments Aren't Corrupt?

Could there be deeper reasons (other than abject stupidity, lack of ethics and principles, enabling affluence, and condescending arrogance) that prompted the criminal actions exposed in this scandal?

https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/201...-universities/

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          Could there be deeper reasons (other than abject stupidity, lack of ethics and principles, enabling affluence, and condescending arrogance) that prompted the criminal actions exposed in this scandal?

https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/201...-universities/
          I’d say that dude is full of crap and note how he didn’t provide any data or facts to support his opinion.
          UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
          NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
          Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
            I’d say that dude is full of crap and note how he didn’t provide any data or facts to support his opinion.
            It always helps to remember that, over the last 60 years, the conservative position on race relations has evolved from, "Segregation now; segregation forever," to, "Ok, sure, we admit it. We spent 300 years stealing all of your stuff. We're sorry, and we promise not to do it again, but it would be reverse racism to ask for your stuff back."

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
              It always helps to remember that, over the last 60 years, the conservative position on race relations has evolved from, "Segregation now; segregation forever," to, "Ok, sure, we admit it. We spent 300 years stealing all of your stuff. We're sorry, and we promise not to do it again, but it would be reverse racism to ask for your stuff back."
              hey dimwit, the politician who said that was a Democrat, you know, the party that has kept the black man down for 150 years after the Republicans freed them.

here is one of the better articles I have read on the topic of this thread:https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...arents/584695/

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                hey dimwit, the politician who said that was a Democrat, you know, the party that has kept the black man down for 150 years after the Republicans freed them.[/URL]
                I said "conservative" instead of "Republican" for a reason. You should try coming up with some bull**** that hasn't been completely discredited.

Comment

On “recruited walk-ons,” the function of large rosters vis-à-vis Title IX, the preponderance of athletes at some D3 schools, etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/19/s...-athletes.html

Comment

I said "conservative" instead of "Republican" for a reason.
                    yeah, because if you had called him a Republican, you'd be lying
                    by calling him a conservative you are only half lying

Comment

I said "conservative" instead of "Republican" for a reason. You should try coming up with some bull**** that hasn't been completely discredited.
                      Pokechecker’s not exactly known for his intelligence.
                      UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                      NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                      Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
                        On “recruited walk-ons,” the function of large rosters vis-à-vis Title IX, the preponderance of athletes at some D3 schools, etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/19/s...-athletes.html
                        I found that part of large women's crew rosters to comply with Title IX quite fascinating as well. Never knew that.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

You'd be excused for mistakenly thinking that these people are politicians or maybe they are running for elected office but haven't told anyone yet.

How "misguided and profoundly wrong" do you figure she would have thought her actions were if she hadn't been caught?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...ting-1.5091028
                          More...https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...ndal-1.5089406
                          Last edited by Blackbeard; 04-09-2019, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                            The number of articles I have read about this that have stated that coaches were paid off to help kids get athletic scholarships to prestigious schools is ridiculous. I'm not a fake newser, but this is making me question a few things. Nevermind that some of these schools don't have athletic scholarships to begin with, but what economic sense would it make to pay a million dollars for a $300,000 athletic scholarship?

How taking advantage of comparatively lax academic standards offered to athletes has been confused with receiving scholarships is perplexing to me.
                            What sense does it make to be a politician when you're already a Billionaire? What sense does it make to buy a 1k handbag when a $100 handbag works just as well? I think we all understand the why to your question.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                              Where do I click on like on here?
                              I say make all involved students take the SAT or ACT on live television and have the results calculated at the end of the broadcast. So when they all score in the teens on the ACT or hundreds on the SAT we can also blame the schools because I'm sure they are passing their classes just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                                You'd be excused for mistakenly thinking that these people are politicians or maybe they are running for elected office but haven't told anyone yet.

How "misguided and profoundly wrong" do you figure she would have thought her actions were if she hadn't been caught?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...ting-1.5091028
                                More...https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...ndal-1.5089406
                                Methinks that failing to plead guilty resulted in the prosecution opening up the goody bag.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X