Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine vs. NU

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    If you look around the site they offer hockey from all around the world on the site. For example, right now they have a game live from Sweden. They also have college hockey from the WCHA, B1G and NCHC.
    In other words, they have lumped Hockey East into their "complete" package. That stinks. Because we're essentially paying for games that we are not very likely to watch (well, as least speaking for myself). That's an old business model. The EXACT reason why people are "cutting the cord" from their cable companies is so that they won't have to pay for 500 channels, 400 of them which they never watch, in favor of a more "a la carte" system where you can choose what you want to watch (i.e., Roku, Apple TV, etc). Not that they will be unsuccessful, because especially in the West (where most of this was originally marketed), they can hold people hostage due to geography so that they have no choice but to subscribe if they want to see ANY hockey. Stinks for us in New England, though, because we can drive to most of the schools in 4 hours or less.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      Maine's ticket prices alone seem fairly insane, never mind the 17 hour round-trip for us.. (And the hotels, the meals, etc.)

I can watch most Maine games right here in Possum Butt, New York. It's one Hell of a lot easier, and I'm saving literally thousands every winter.

I never minded spending the dough back when Maine was good, but I don't see any reason for that in the Red era. That's just throwing good money after bad, anymore.
      ?? What? Its $20 for a seat.
      I understand the drive and hotel part but I dont think 20 is too much for the ticket. Whats a movie cost?
      The NU tickets were $20, not bad at all for a good series
      Last edited by NorthMike; 03-14-2019, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
        ?? What? Its $20 for a seat.
        I understand the drive and hotel part but I dont think 20 is too much for the ticket. Whats a movie cost?
        The NU tickets were $20, not bad at all for a good series
        Are they actually 20 or closer to 45 after an arena fee a broker fee and tax? Not trying to be snarky Im curious as Ive found most arenas in the league have “get in prices” 10-20 more than whats “face value” after bs fees

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

I was told certain seats are $50, others $35, and then lastly $20. So the average is maybe more like $35? I am not sure. But if that was... then for 4 tix you are at $140 for tix. Then if you spend $10 per person on average on consetions you are at $180... on average for a family of 4. Going to the movies for a family of 4 is more like $46 for the tix and even say same on concessions. You are at $86. So it is half as expensive without factoring in any parking fees and travel costs.

It really hasn't become an economically feasible choice for most families, I believe. Get the prices back on par with the movies and the stands will be full I am sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
            Are they actually 20 or closer to 45 after an arena fee a broker fee and tax? Not trying to be snarky Im curious as Ive found most arenas in the league have “get in prices” 10-20 more than whats “face value” after bs fees
            $20 + 2 or 3 for the fee at alfond Two seats runs me $45 or maybe its 46.
            There are 50$ and 40$ seats if you want them, but the majority are $20.

My matthews rink tickets for this weekend were the same $20 + 3$.
            Last edited by NorthMike; 03-15-2019, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
              I was told certain seats are $50, others $35, and then lastly $20. So the average is maybe more like $35? I am not sure. But if that was... then for 4 tix you are at $140 for tix. Then if you spend $10 per person on average on consetions you are at $180... on average for a family of 4. Going to the movies for a family of 4 is more like $46 for the tix and even say same on concessions. You are at $86. So it is half as expensive without factoring in any parking fees and travel costs.

It really hasn't become an economically feasible choice for most families, I believe. Get the prices back on par with the movies and the stands will be full I am sure.
              Everyone has to manage their own checkbook and decide where the entertainment budget goes, understood.
              Lots of local families go to the games, lots of youngens. I actually wonder why the little ones go, they dont watch the hockey, no clue whats going on of course. Hey, but whatever the parents want to do.
              What Ive noticed over the years is people show up to games when the team is winning and the local media starts talking about it.

Going to Saturdays game and really hoping its a good series.
              NU will be tough. Hope the A maine team shows up. Lets send NU hockey to the beach for spring break!
              Last edited by NorthMike; 03-15-2019, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Will the game be on radio?
                Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
                —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by CommAvHusky View Post
                  Will the game be on radio?
                  Well, it wouldn't be on "radio" anyway, since NO college sports around here are on radio (except for BC football) as far as I know. Usually the school streams the radio broadcast; for example, BU's game is being streamed with their regular announcers. So, to that end, I looked on Northeastern's website and apparently they are NOT streaming it (as there was no link besides the one that says "Watch," which redirects you to the FloHockey website). I then went to the Maine website to see if they had a live stream, which is here, and it redirected me to the BASEBALL page (the Maine vs. Samford game), which is obviously an error. Perhaps they will have it fixed by gametime (not holding my breath). So it appears that you could hear the game on the Maine site if they ever get the link fixed (unless someone here knows another way to get at it). Obviously if you're in Oneonta or on Comm. Ave. (not sure where you actually are but I assume it's not Boston or else you'd be going) you're not going to pick up the Orono radio stations on the Maine Radio Network. That's the best I can determine at this point...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                    Well, it wouldn't be on "radio" anyway, since NO college sports around here are on radio (except for BC football) as far as I know. Usually the school streams the radio broadcast; for example, BU's game is being streamed with their regular announcers. So, to that end, I looked on Northeastern's website and apparently they are NOT streaming it (as there was no link besides the one that says "Watch," which redirects you to the FloHockey website). I then went to the Maine website to see if they had a live stream, which is here, and it redirected me to the BASEBALL page (the Maine vs. Samford game), which is obviously an error. Perhaps they will have it fixed by gametime (not holding my breath). So it appears that you could hear the game on the Maine site if they ever get the link fixed (unless someone here knows another way to get at it). Obviously if you're in Oneonta or on Comm. Ave. (not sure where you actually are but I assume it's not Boston or else you'd be going) you're not going to pick up the Orono radio stations on the Maine Radio Network. That's the best I can determine at this point...
                    I'm not going to pay for a subscription. I just didn't know if the Hockey East tournament blocks teams from using their radio rights too. I'm in Oneonta now, Comm Ave was a long time ago.
                    Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
                    —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      The Black Bear Sports Radio Network is available on Alexa. Just say "Alexa play the Black Bear sports network." However, depending on timing the feed might be the end of the women's basketball game against Hartford.

I assume the game will be available on WRBB the student radio station at Northeastern. They are consistently the best student hockey broadcast in the NCAA. I highly recommend them. Very professional, mostly unbiased and quite polished for a college production. http://www.wrbbsports.com/listen-live/

Comment

Originally posted by CommAvHusky View Post
                        I'm not going to pay for a subscription. I just didn't know if the Hockey East tournament blocks teams from using their radio rights too. I'm in Oneonta now, Comm Ave was a long time ago.
                        No, the radio rights are not blocked. I know the BU game is on. I agree regarding WRBB...not sure why there isn't a link to it on the NU website. I know when I was at BU the "student" station was just available on campus (it was "carrier current" - meaning in the electrical system only - shows you how old I am ). The reason they stream it now it because it was initially commercial (over the air on a Boston station) but now they have decided to do "internet only."

Comment

The team who wins Game 1 sweeps the series 2/3 of the time, wins in Game 3 2/5 of the time, and blows the series 1/8 of the time. In other words, whoever wins tonight has about an 88% chance to go to the Garden, if you believe past history as an indicator.

Comment

I'm posting his here as I'm looking for some input from some of the NU folks, as well as Maine folks. For years, I have been going to the UNOs near Matthews Arena prior to games when Maine was in town. Much to my dismay, I got to UNOs late yesterday afternoon to find that it had closed it's doors. I walked around a bit, but really couldn't find anyplace else that interested me.

Are there any "sports bars" within walking distance of Matthews that I can claim as my new designated spot prior to Maine/NU games?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comment

Great game
                              Last edited by Don C; 03-16-2019, 11:32 AM.
                              GO MAINE

Comment

Originally posted by Maine Event View Post
                                I'm posting his here as I'm looking for some input from some of the NU folks, as well as Maine folks. For years, I have been going to the UNOs near Matthews Arena prior to games when Maine was in town. Much to my dismay, I got to UNOs late yesterday afternoon to find that it had closed it's doors. I walked around a bit, but really couldn't find anyplace else that interested me.

Are there any "sports bars" within walking distance of Matthews that I can claim as my new designated spot prior to Maine/NU games?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
                                Conor Larkin’s
                                329 Huntington Ave

all the best
                                GO NU HOCKEY
                                Always bullish on the future.
                                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X