X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flosports deal with new WCHA a disaster for fans

Should have a contest for the top ten snfu's
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

As I understand it, the league has jumped in with Flo and is arguing that the wider bundle justifies the price. I disagree. I stated my case to the league when that came out. The previous folks may not have been very good in terms of providing the product consistently, but the variety of products (team-only, road-only, league-wide, playoffs-only) was pretty great. From a flexibility point, it's a step back.

From a price competitiveness point, it's also a step back. Yes, NCHC.tv and ECAC.tv are lots cheaper, but they aren't offering as much (stuff I don't care about at all)! Starting a $10/mo subscription on Friday and canceling it on Sunday (unless you get lucky and play two road series against teams from the same league in the same calendar month) isn't terribly onerous, but $30 is pretty **** steep.

I guess that it's probably a revenue generator for a league who 1) doesn't have a lot of revenue generation from member teams and 2) share a corporate structure with a women's league that loses money because of the inequities in how women's collegiate (non-basketball) sports are supported.

I do expect that the pricing may change for next year. Be honest with and respectful to the league should you choose to bring it up. Don't expect it for free. Don't expect it for $1/mo. Look at what's out there and make that argument.

Lastly, understand the pricing structure of bundling. I bet Flo knows that the only games that I watched this year on their service were with my alma mater. They got a lot of money from me for just that handful of games (compared to their total operations). I'm certain that this is a fairly standard profile. The marginal cost of one user streaming something isn't that big, especially as you've lost PIP/multiple simultaneous streams with this provider — if you want to watch all five league games on a busy weekend, you're watching at least two of them on delay, when the cost to serve that stream is pretty low.

It's overpriced. The quality of member schools' production is uneven. (Mankato has a great production but terrible announcers.) I keep wanting to get super-mad about it, but 15 years ago I couldn't see road games at all unless I traveled.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

I look at it differently. I watch a lot of games so my price per game was low but.... it's a good revenue generator to a league who desperately needs funds. As long as that is the situation i'm for keeping the price as it is and working with individual teams to up their quality. I'm unwilling to give up a single dollar the league needs at this point. Maybe if somehow there is a way to get some more funds in, then sure. Say like spinning off the women's league.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

It's overpriced. The quality of member schools' production is uneven. (Mankato has a great production but terrible announcers.) I keep wanting to get super-mad about it, but 15 years ago I couldn't see road games at all unless I traveled.

GFM
          BG uses the students in the WBGU program in the RTVF school, or whatever they call the college now.

So it is what it is and whether or not its good or bad will depend on whom they have chosen to do the games for a particular school year.

Some of the students know hockey better than others. They have had some really good play by play guys who have gone on to work for Pro teams or become an icon like Doc Emrik has.
          The analyst position has been more hit or miss, some students know the game well and have done a good job, some not so much and their lack of true hockey knowledge shows through in the words and phrases they use.
          It's not going to change at BGSU and I know its the same structure at some of the other schools.

It is what it is and like GFMorris said, its better than just having the radio. At least I can see the game......

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
            Flo can't fix stupid.. It all starts with the poorly trained and led staff of each school.....call them I have Brad at BSU blew me off with....." It’s always going to be a bit home-heavy as the bulk of the fans are BSU fans."
            UAtta Boy BSU fixed the 12/16/18 replay when didn't have the UAA OT GWG on film and bad mouthed when we scored to tie. ....... so they fixed it with the OT GWG but added music overplayed so loud can't hear the hicks chirp........that is real bush league .....Flo can't fix that crap........
            UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
              BG uses the students in the WBGU program in the RTVF school, or whatever they call the college now.

So it is what it is and whether or not its good or bad will depend on whom they have chosen to do the games for a particular school year.

Some of the students know hockey better than others. They have had some really good play by play guys who have gone on to work for Pro teams or become an icon like Doc Emrik has.
              The analyst position has been more hit or miss, some students know the game well and have done a good job, some not so much and their lack of true hockey knowledge shows through in the words and phrases they use.
              It's not going to change at BGSU and I know its the same structure at some of the other schools.

It is what it is and like GFMorris said, its better than just having the radio. At least I can see the game......
              Whoever produces the highlight videos needs a stick upside the head. Only showing the low camera angle from beside the net doesn't really show much of a "highlight."

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
                Yeah, I was wondering when they took a slapshot from the blue line and the call was "Ohh he shoots it from way downtown...BANG! Nothing but net!"

Flo Sports has hired this budding star to do road games next year.
                https://youtu.be/W45DRy7M1no?t=120
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

At least UAH's new PBP guy is better than the old one.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
                    I liked the old one. he was comic relief.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
                      And the one before that. Pretty sure that guy was constantly 4 beers deep.
                      Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                        And the one before that. Pretty sure that guy was constantly 4 beers deep.
                        Yes, he was. He was bad enough that I was willing to do it.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          I though Flohockey's subscription got you *all* their other hockey. So not only are we getting WCHA.tv, but also NCHC games, B1G Mistake games, Hockey East, junior teams, whoever else they have. But, as a WCHA fan, I dont really have interest in the rest of the product.

What kept me from signing up is the secrecy of their plans and coverage. The only way to see what they have is to start to sign up. Nothing else anywhere on their website breaking down the plans.

No thank you.
                          Same thing that kept me out. I finally buckled in the playoffs, so I got one game for 30 bucks (OT loss to BG). The other thing that kept me out is it won't let me cast it to my TV. The cost bugs me, but there is a solid point in that you can watch a boatload of games. Next year, I guess I will concede and get the package, as well as invest in whatever it takes to get my computer hooked up to my TV, which will be mainly the time figuring it out. For 30 bucks a month, it should be more user friendly, to say the least. I won't gripe too much, at least I can get the games, if I want.
                          “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                          – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                          when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

Originally posted by devildog View Post
                            The other thing that kept me out is it won't let me cast it to my TV.
                            Flo supports AppleTV and Roku. They do not support Amazon FireStick. When I'm stuck in a hotel somewhere I use the HDMI-cable-to-my-PC hack which also works.

I bought the season package and enjoyed watching the other teams as well as the select B1G and Nacho games, especially during my teams bye weeks. However, I totally agree with the frustration on $30/month if you only want a single game or two.

Comment

Originally posted by devildog View Post
                              Same thing that kept me out. I finally buckled in the playoffs, so I got one game for 30 bucks (OT loss to BG). The other thing that kept me out is it won't let me cast it to my TV. The cost bugs me, but there is a solid point in that you can watch a boatload of games. Next year, I guess I will concede and get the package, as well as invest in whatever it takes to get my computer hooked up to my TV, which will be mainly the time figuring it out. For 30 bucks a month, it should be more user friendly, to say the least. I won't gripe too much, at least I can get the games, if I want.
                              I'll confirm that it works on my old Roku and will ship it to you. (First step: find that Roku.)

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                                Yeah, I was wondering when they took a slapshot from the blue line and the call was "Ohh he shoots it from way downtown...BANG! Nothing but net!"

Flo Sports has hired this budding star to do road games next year.
                                https://youtu.be/W45DRy7M1no?t=120
                                I wonder if his Wealthy parents are in the admissions scandal?

He kinda sounds like..... you know who.
                                Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 03-20-2019, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X