Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
    Seeing guys graduating with Bachelor's in three years the last two years. Could be the case with him; no idea. I believe he could be a second pairing in AHL; has the strength and stature.
    That's not all that surprising, considering the kids are usually coming in around 20 years of age. There's plenty of tutor time in the USHL to fit in some credits through a junior college that transfer in. Plus, RPI's flexible enough (or at least they were) that you could do 21 credits each semester and graduate early. Probably not the case for hockey players, but possible.

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
      Praps played 26 AHL games and 11 ECHL games. Do you know if he is hurt? I hate to see guys leave for a few games in the AHL and then straight to ECHL which is common.ECHL equals low wages and long tough hours . The RPI degree long term is most often the better bet. If he already has credits to graduate or will by summers end then my point is moot. I agree that reillys game is better than praps was in college.
      We're on the same page - I'm not a fan of early departures in general . My thoughts were just on the hockey side. I believe Praps was hurt - I believe he is now back with the Monsters.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by vicious View Post
        SA was 21-41-12, DS is 16-52-7 according to my back-of-the-envelope stuff. A "better" record, maybe. But to me, there's not a whole lot of difference in those two records - a handful of wins, for sure, but I don't think anyone would argue SA came in and set the world on fire and DS has been a complete bust. SA also inherited a team with more wins in its previous two seasons than Smith (28-39-8 under Fridge's last two seasons); Smith took over a team that was a combined 26-43-8. Again, not a huge difference, but DS did inherit a weaker team, at least in terms of wins and losses. Winning percentage trends following two seasons are interesting between the two coaches. SA 1st season = .389, 2nd season = .342, difference of -.47. DS 1st season = .216, 2nd season = .319, difference of +.103. Sure we'd all like more wins, but after two seasons I'll take +.103 over -.47.

I agree attendance has become a major concern. Number of empty seats for big games was stunning. But if you want to put DS on the hot seat in 3rd year, let's remember SA was 10-27-2 (.282) in his 3rd season. It was his second-worst season, numbers-wise, in Troy. SA's losses increased each of his first three seasons...no improvement until his fourth season.
        I assume you mean .047?

Why was the administration patient with Appert? He put all his eggs in a few recruits: Pirri, D'Amigo, Cullen, Polacek. Top rated recruit classes, so it's easy to see why we were excited. Then he was exposed for his lack of bench coaching skills. And then the recruit quality didn't seem so hot, not to mention complacency after getting ridiculously large extensions.

The public will see next year as Smith's year of reckoning, just as they did with Appert. How many remember the "fiar" chants from 08-09? Three years is very common in American sports. I know his contract is 5 years, and I know we understand better. Joe Q. Public, on the other hand...

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
          IMO he might get a look but if he leaves without a degree he will regret it. He is not a dominant D1 defensemen. Not ready by a long shot.
          Reilly has a lot of talent. Freshman year he was electric and could certainly develop into a longer term professional player. I hope he and Hayhurst stay. But if they go, it might not be to go pro; the graduate transfer rule is a significant wild card these days. Other teams currently in a better place than RPI would be interested in those two.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
            Reilly has a lot of talent. Freshman year he was electric and could certainly develop into a longer term professional player. I hope he and Hayhurst stay. But if they go, it might not be to go pro; the graduate transfer rule is a significant wild card these days. Other teams currently in a better place than RPI would be interested in those two.
            good point on grad transfer possibly coming into play. we shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by capswon View Post
              . . . Anyone think Burgess is gone? Cant imagine but he is Sens property. Dont know if they have any influence or interest to influence. . . .
              I would be surprised if Burgess turned pro. He needs another year of college; I thought his season was mixed. Playing with Zieky and Hayhurst was a positive turning point, but he went ice cold after scoring the winning goal against Cornell. If that Zieky-Hayhurst-Burgess line stays intact, that would be a plus heading into next year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                I assume you mean .047?

Why was the administration patient with Appert? He put all his eggs in a few recruits: Pirri, D'Amigo, Cullen, Polacek. Top rated recruit classes, so it's easy to see why we were excited. Then he was exposed for his lack of bench coaching skills. And then the recruit quality didn't seem so hot, not to mention complacency after getting ridiculously large extensions.

The public will see next year as Smith's year of reckoning, just as they did with Appert. How many remember the "fiar" chants from 08-09? Three years is very common in American sports. I know his contract is 5 years, and I know we understand better. Joe Q. Public, on the other hand...
                I liked Seth, and glad he is enjoying some success with the USNDP, but not many coaches would have survived the last year he had at RPI. I don't want to say that he lost the team or the guys quit on him, but it was clear he and the players weren't on the same page for a couple of years. Add in other factors like a new athletic director and local rival Union's complete eclipse of RPI in becoming a perennial contender and national champion, despite spending even less on its program than RPI, and you've got a recipe for a coaching change.

Comment

Today is 11 March 2019. There are 208 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October 2019 for the start of next season.
                  Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-01-2019, 12:41 PM.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Although either Hayhurst or Reilly could graduate this year and go somewhere else, they both were born in 1997 (Hayhurst January and Reilly July). They were fairly young when they entered RPI and were unlikely to have earned much college credit before arriving. It seems to me that it would be difficult for them to finish before this fall.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

This year we had 28 players on the roster, 3 goalies, 9 defensemen, and 16 forwards, counting Moore as a D. We are losing or have lost 5, Wiffen, Burke, Moore, Grant, and Perry. That brings us down to 2, 7, an 14, respectively. None new players signed NLoI, 1 G, 4 D, and 3 F. We apparently need 1 G, 2 D, and 2 F. More will be needed if there are defections or cuts. Miller as the new goalie is clear. 1 new forward (Ashbrook), and new defenseman (Babichuk) have to arrive in the fall if they ever will because they are aging out of juniors. The rest is not clear to me at this time.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

EHF, for sure I miss Seth but this is not abt him. I wish the best for Smitty. I live in the shadow of HFH and walk the track every summer night and want to see a good hockey product. Been going to games for 45 years but I echo DrD; program is at an inflection point. I don't like some of the departures. Tironese and Emil would have helped this team that lacked punch. We came in 2nd to last again to a team (SLU) that last season had a mid season investigation done on it by it's admin by a high priced NY Law Firm. Reality is reality.
                        I agree with everything you said about the team. Its just that you keep bringing up Appert. He was not the answer. I know nothing about any investigation. What were they investigating?
                        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                        Benjamin Franklin
                        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                        Gary Player

Comment

So true. It's abt Shirley; sorry EHF. She doesn't care abt this program.
                          No need to apologize to me. Shirley probably doesn't care or know anything about hockey. And many on this board have problems with her. So, tell me, what would you like to see her do to fix the program?
                          New Rink? Drop academic requirements? Attend more games?
                          Just asking.
                          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                          Benjamin Franklin
                          Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                            No need to apologize to me. Shirley probably doesn't care or know anything about hockey. And many on this board have problems with her. So, tell me, what would you like to see her do to fix the program?
                            Just asking.
                            IMHO, it is all of the above. Does this school wish to be a D1 hockey program or a school with a hockey team and the level is irrelevant to the administration? I have no idea what the program costs to run and how much that is offset by tickets and the like. But if attendance continues to drop, the program will cost the school more. SAJ could very well look at it as here is what is budgeted for athletics and we are not going to put a lot more into the hockey team (or athletics in general) than we do other sports like football. I don't know. There are many things they could do to increase attendance by using the facilities better (utilize the box area more for different groups beside SAJ, have after game skating for students to get them to come to games), better advertising on campus, partner with youth hockey groups and schools to increase group sales and so on. The bottom line is if the school wants to have a top tier D1 program, they have to put money into the facility, more money into the coaches, and more money into recruiting. But the #1thing they should not do is act like they are going to invest in the HFH and the program and then throw token money at it. That only results in what they are trying to do now: make mediocrity appear like it is more than what it is. And the fans see that and walk out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              Just asking.
                              Retire. And this is for the sake of the ENTIRE 'tute, not just the hockey program. What is $65,000 per year actually going to, a rate that has tripled since she came into play? And even with that, the 'tute is on the verge of bankruptcy. There has to be either some serious mismanagement or something illegal going on (I hope it's the former). Not to mention the draconian leadership style, what with the speech codes and the forced housing and the disbanding of faculty organizations and the going behind the back of alumni petitioning and the nannying of the students... If we want to see actual change, we're really going to need to look at the big picture.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                                IMHO, it is all of the above. Does this school wish to be a D1 hockey program or a school with a hockey team and the level is irrelevant to the administration? I have no idea what the program costs to run and how much that is offset by tickets and the like. But if attendance continues to drop, the program will cost the school more. SAJ could very well look at it as here is what is budgeted for athletics and we are not going to put a lot more into the hockey team (or athletics in general) than we do other sports like football. I don't know. There are many things they could do to increase attendance by using the facilities better (utilize the box area more for different groups beside SAJ, have after game skating for students to get them to come to games), better advertising on campus, partner with youth hockey groups and schools to increase group sales and so on. The bottom line is if the school wants to have a top tier D1 program, they have to put money into the facility, more money into the coaches, and more money into recruiting. But the #1thing they should not do is act like they are going to invest in the HFH and the program and then throw token money at it. That only results in what they are trying to do now: make mediocrity appear like it is more than what it is. And the fans see that and walk out the door.
                                Thank you, I can easily see how that would help the program. Very good points. And they all make sense.
                                Benjamin Franklin
                                Gary Player

Comment

Working...
                                X