Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
    It’s surprising because when the Record did its wrap up two weeks after the end of the season (and presumably well after the coach had his year end meeting with each player) they talked about Hayhurst as a returnee. I wonder when he notified Smith. Then again, the signing of Mahshie, who I now suspect may be taking Hayhurst’s scholarship, was a week before the wrap up. Perplexing?

If Mahshie isn’t on Jacob’s ride is there even the slightest chance Fontaine might recommit if offered a Polacek (an RPI offer to enroll a year or two earlier than the big boys want)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

• RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
      East Greenwich's Gunnar Fontaine of @ChicagoSteel commits to Northeastern. Former RPI commit— Mark Divver (@MarkDivver) April 18, 2019
      I’ve always been fond of Northeastern because it’s my dad’s alma mater and my daughter will be graduating from there in a few weeks, but Fontaine is dead to me. I don’t wish him ill will but I don’t wish him great success either. Mostly, I don’t want to hear about him again.

On a not really related note, on the Colorado Avalanche game broadcast they provided some notes from an interview with Cale Makar where he talked about his dream of being an engineer. I had the same thought as when I found out the Clifton brothers at Quinnipiac were engineering majors - we have to get to the point where, at the very least, those rare first class hockey players with engineering ambitions will give us a close look.

Last edited by rpi82; 04-17-2019, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Today is 18 April 2019. There are 170 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October 2019 for the start of next season.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by RPI22Parent View Post
          The 22 has no bearing to class year or son's jersey number. Has more to do with my infinity to the number. To be honest, my son chose RPI because of its history with hockey, and the campus plus our desire for him to get a first rate education. He had opportunities at schools that, in their current state, are much better hockey programs. Programs that would be promoting him more for a longer career in hockey but it was never just about the hockey for us as a family. If it was he would have gone the major junior route.
          Thanks for the explanation. So, as usual, I was wrong.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I am glad a parent of a player finally posted here to quiet the tin-foil hat, conspiracy theory loving posters here.
            Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
              I’ve always been fond of Northeastern because it’s my dad’s alma mater and my daughter will be graduating from there in a few weeks, but Fontaine is dead to me. I don’t wish him ill will but I don’t wish him great success either. Mostly, I don’t want to hear about him again.

On a not really related note, on the Colorado Avalanche game broadcast they provided some notes from an interview with Cale Makar where he talked about his dream of being an engineer. I had the same thought as when I found out the Clifton brothers at Quinnipiac were engineering majors - we have to get to the point where, at the very least, those rare first class hockey players with engineering ambitions will give us a close look.

Great pickup for NU. Saying a 19-20 year old player is "dead to you" ehhh not such a great look. Probably should have just wished him well on his future and called it a day.
              Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                Great pickup for NU. Saying a 19-20 year old player is "dead to you" ehhh not such a great look. Probably should have just wished him well on his future and called it a day.
                Sorry, but I don’t really want to hear about him at all (which will be difficult with two NU grads in the family). In particular, I don’t want to hear if he does well there and get into the logical “what if he’d honored his ‘commitment’” mind game. So it would be disingenuous of me to really wish him well. On the other hand, I certainly don’t wish him any ill result.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                  Thanks for the information on the transfer portal. I think the grad transfer is just going to be a reality across DI sports unless the rules change. At least we are not talking about basketball where there are only 7-9 men rotations: UAlbany's season was devastated through the grad transfer rule.

The reasons for Jacob leaving aren't that important to me as I think most people sensed that this was a possibility from a purely hockey perspective, e.g. most thought his skill set would draw some interest from other schools if he could qualify for the graduate transfer. I am sorry to see him go, but I am looking forward to seeing what the team can accomplish next season.
                  I doubt the rules will change; it's probably just a phase. Remember around 2010 or so when people were bolting left and right for the pros? And then it calmed down. I'd say give it a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                    I am glad a parent of a player finally posted here to quiet the tin-foil hat, conspiracy theory loving posters here.
                    +1
                    Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

I never thought I would ever respond to this thread but there is so much misinformation I felt the need to do so.

Hayhurst leaving has nothing to do with the current coaching staff. It has more to do with the player and requirements of the college. I will not elaborate more then that. Jewell and Smith decided to part ways. Jewel was integral in the recruiting the last 2 years. Coaches come and go I know my son didn't commit to RPI because of an assistant coach and I also know that no other player currently on the roster committed because of an assistant coach. It has to do with the institution and the HC. Lysyj was a Volunteer. He did some skill work with the players. A volunteer is not allowed to recruit for the college. He is there to assist the staff on campus.

The portal allows players to put there name into a system where other schools can openly see that an individual is considering a transfer. Now the way the portal works an institution does not have to honor their commitment to the player if he doesn't transfer. Its up to each individual institution.
                      Thanks for the info. It's great to have you on the thread. For a few years, we had another parent; babo interact on the thread. It was such an awesome relationship with many of us.
                      Last edited by AspyDad; 04-18-2019, 01:49 PM.
                      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

I never thought I would ever respond to this thread but there is so much misinformation I felt the need to do so.

Hayhurst leaving has nothing to do with the current coaching staff. It has more to do with the player and requirements of the college. I will not elaborate more then that. Jewell and Smith decided to part ways. Jewel was integral in the recruiting the last 2 years. Coaches come and go I know my son didn't commit to RPI because of an assistant coach and I also know that no other player currently on the roster committed because of an assistant coach. It has to do with the institution and the HC. Lysyj was a Volunteer. He did some skill work with the players. A volunteer is not allowed to recruit for the college. He is there to assist the staff on campus.

The portal allows players to put there name into a system where other schools can openly see that an individual is considering a transfer. Now the way the portal works an institution does not have to honor their commitment to the player if he doesn't transfer. Its up to each individual institution.
                        While I am glad that your experience is going well and I am looking forward to seeing your son don the Cherry and White it is still troubling that players and recruits have left to include: Nanne, Jesper O, Emil O , Evan Tironese, Drew Melanson, Fontaine, Cameron, Bendorf, Troy York (Smith Recruit), Hayhurst (Top Scorer). Wondering your thoughts for these departures? #EnjoyTroy
                        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                          While I am glad that your experience is going well and I am looking forward to seeing your son don the Cherry and White it is still troubling that players and recruits have left to include: Nanne, Jesper O, Emil O , Evan Tironese, Drew Melanson, Fontaine, Cameron, Bendorf, Troy York (Smith Recruit), Hayhurst (Top Scorer). Wondering your thoughts for these departures? #EnjoyTroy
                          Not that I think all of those were really losses, but you missed the one who will probably turn out to be the biggest loss, Austen Swankler. He has been playing great for Sioux Falls as a young player and had the goal in the 4th OT yesterday (or really early this morning).
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                            I will attempt to answer to the best of my ability:
                            Nanne: he wanted to get on with his life. He got married immediately after leaving school and has since had a baby. He just was no longer interested in playing hockey.

Ohrvall brothers: Jesper and Emil went into their year end meeting with Smith together and both said they were leaving. Jesper wanted to play and knew he wouldn't play even if Dave wanted him back and Emil had to be convinced by his mother to finish out the school year. He originally had planned on leaving after the 1st semester. He did not like RPI as a school.

Tironese: he did not like Smith or the style of hockey. He wasn't though happy with Appert either. Tironese wanted to play hockey his way and only his way.

Melanson: His parents did not want him to leave. He had been accepted into the Grad school. I believe had Nanne stayed and Riga been named coach or one of the two happening he may have stayed. I do know he was very torn. I also don't think he would have gone any where but BU. That was like a home coming for him. He has family in the Boston area.

York: He felt he was deserving of more and let it be known to all. Even though he had a solid 1st semester Smith saw things differently and told him so and York backed his bags and left. He decided to leave instead of staying and proving himself in the second semester.

Hayhurst: I've said all I will say on him.

Smith is an old school hockey coach. He motivates the old way. He genuinely cares about the boys as men. He's a tough disciplinarian. His provided a lot of structure to the team. Some is good and some is bad. He is in the opposite direction from Appert.

Comment

Nanne: he wanted to get on with his life. He got married immediately after leaving school and has since had a baby. He just was no longer interested in playing hockey.

Ohrvall brothers: Jesper and Emil went into their year end meeting with Smith together and both said they were leaving. Jesper wanted to play and knew he wouldn't play even if Dave wanted him back and Emil had to be convinced by his mother to finish out the school year. He originally had planned on leaving after the 1st semester. He did not like RPI as a school.

Tironese: he did not like Smith or the style of hockey. He wasn't though happy with Appert either. Tironese wanted to play hockey his way and only his way.

Melanson: His parents did not want him to leave. He had been accepted into the Grad school. I believe had Nanne stayed and Riga been named coach or one of the two happening he may have stayed. I do know he was very torn. I also don't think he would have gone any where but BU. That was like a home coming for him. He has family in the Boston area.

York: He felt he was deserving of more and let it be known to all. Even though he had a solid 1st semester Smith saw things differently and told him so and York backed his bags and left. He decided to leave instead of staying and proving himself in the second semester.

Smith is an old school hockey coach. He motivates the old way. He genuinely cares about the boys as men. He's a tough disciplinarian. His provided a lot of structure to the team. Some is good and some is bad. He is in the opposite direction from Appert.
                              Thanks for the info. Some of it is new and very enlightening. Others (York, Nanne) agrees with what was posted earlier. It is good to get confirmation too.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Welcome to the community (here) and thanks for the insight. Very interesting.
                                Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Working...
                                X