Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Stability would be nice, but this is college hockey. And because of that, we lose players every year, and they are replaced by new players.
    ACs are on the move all the time. Most are doing time waiting for head coaching opportunities or better offers from somewhere else.
    So lets not dwell on this off season, and concentrate on the season ahead of us. I am sorry to see Hayhurst go, but while he was a very good playmaker, he was not the sniper we need. I wish him well.
    As for leading from the top, I don't think that Shirley has the same enthusiasm for hockey that the people here have. It would be nice if she paid at least a little attention to a game that has brought the entire student body together in the past and could bring it back for the students in the future. That should be part of her job.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

I never thought I would ever respond to this thread but there is so much misinformation I felt the need to do so.

Hayhurst leaving has nothing to do with the current coaching staff. It has more to do with the player and requirements of the college. I will not elaborate more then that. Jewell and Smith decided to part ways. Jewel was integral in the recruiting the last 2 years. Coaches come and go I know my son didn't commit to RPI because of an assistant coach and I also know that no other player currently on the roster committed because of an assistant coach. It has to do with the institution and the HC. Lysyj was a Volunteer. He did some skill work with the players. A volunteer is not allowed to recruit for the college. He is there to assist the staff on campus.

The portal allows players to put there name into a system where other schools can openly see that an individual is considering a transfer. Now the way the portal works an institution does not have to honor their commitment to the player if he doesn't transfer. Its up to each individual institution.

Comment

We had 28 players last season, 16 forwards, 9 defenseman, and 3 goalies. That's counting Moore as a D.

Burke left. Perry, Wiffen, Moore, and Grant graduated. Hayhurst is leaving. I will assume that reports of Ott and Harris leaving a correct. That brings us to 12, 6, and 2.

Thus we need 4, 3, and 1 to keep the same distribution. Miller is the new goalie. That part is simple. We had LOIs signed by 4 forwards (Ashbrook, Dubinsky, Herrman, McIsaac) and 4 defensemen (Babichuk, Davies, Klee, and Kjellberg). Since then one more forward (Mahshie) and one more defenseman (Helsen) have entered the mix. All but McIsaac and Davies among the originals have appeared in the directory, as has Beaton, previously assumed to be coming in 2020.

My guess is that the new forwards are Ashbrook, Dubinsky, Herrman, and Mahshie, and the new D are Babichuk, Klee, and Helsen. If others leave, then I think that Kjellberg and Beaton are also coming. I suspect that McIsaac and Davies won't be coming until 2020.

These are all just my thoughts.
        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-17-2019, 08:54 AM.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by RPI22Parent View Post
          I never thought I would ever respond to this thread but there is so much misinformation I felt the need to do so.

Hayhurst leaving has nothing to do with the current coaching staff. It has more to do with the player and requirements of the college. I will not elaborate more then that. Jewell and Smith decided to part ways. Jewel was integral in the recruiting the last 2 years. Coaches come and go I know my son didn't commit to RPI because of an assistant coach and I also know that no other player currently on the roster committed because of an assistant coach. It has to do with the institution and the HC. Lysyj was a Volunteer. He did some skill work with the players. A volunteer is not allowed to recruit for the college. He is there to assist the staff on campus.

The portal allows players to put there name into a system where other schools can openly see that an individual is considering a transfer. Now the way the portal works an institution does not have to honor their commitment to the player if he doesn't transfer. Its up to each individual institution.
          Welcome to the thread. I appreciate your input. Feel free to correct any errors we post here. As outsiders, we can only guess what it going on, it would be nice to get some real insight into the team.
          Thank you for your post.
          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          Benjamin Franklin
          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
          Gary Player

Comment

Thanks for the post. I hope that you stay. Misinformation is typical here in the off season. A matter of fact, during the season too.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

It happens to everyone.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

An article relating to grad transfers; not sure if it has impact on hockey, but this is a big issue with D1 football and basketball.

https://www.apnews.com/e4fbc74f9e7a454bb4f83954b243271e

"The NCAA Division I Council is expected to vote by Friday on an amendment that would require a grad transfer to count against a team’s scholarship total for two years, no matter how much eligibility the player has left when they arrive. An exception would be made for athletes who complete graduate degree requirements before the start of the second year."

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Thank you. Nice to have perspective from those more in the know than us. Don't get frustrated reading this thread, RPI fans and posters have long been bitter over the state of the program. Ralph should names all the threads either "misinformation" or "rumors and speculation" although those will be inherent in any thread. Never feel the need to respond as everyone here takes things with a grain of salt anyway.

Now, when is your son leaving the program? (just kidding of course. As you know, there's more to RPI than just athletics.)
                    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                      Thank you. Nice to have perspective from those more in the know than us. Don't get frustrated reading this thread, RPI fans and posters have long been bitter over the state of the program. Ralph should names all the threads either "misinformation" or "rumors and speculation" although those will be inherent in any thread. Never feel the need to respond as everyone here takes things with a grain of salt anyway.

Now, when is your son leaving the program? (just kidding of course. As you know, there's more to RPI than just athletics.)
                      When I first read RPI22Parent's message, I assumed that his handle means that he is a parent of a current RPI freshman. I suppose that it could also mean that he is a parent of #22, Donovan Ott, and the misinformation included that DO is leaving.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        When I first read RPI22Parent's message, I assumed that his handle means that he is a parent of a current RPI freshman. I suppose that it could also mean that he is a parent of #22, Donovan Ott, and the misinformation included that DO is leaving.
                        The 22 has no bearing to class year or son's jersey number. Has more to do with my infinity to the number. To be honest, my son chose RPI because of its history with hockey, and the campus plus our desire for him to get a first rate education. He had opportunities at schools that, in their current state, are much better hockey programs. Programs that would be promoting him more for a longer career in hockey but it was never just about the hockey for us as a family. If it was he would have gone the major junior route.

Comment

The 22 has no bearing to class year or son's jersey number. Has more to do with my infinity to the number. To be honest, my son chose RPI because of its history with hockey, and the campus plus our desire for him to get a first rate education. He had opportunities at schools that, in their current state, are much better hockey programs. Programs that would be promoting him more for a longer career in hockey but it was never just about the hockey for us as a family. If it was he would have gone the major junior route.
                          And it's sentiments like that where I'm proud to promote ice hockey over the other college sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            It happens to everyone.

I don't fault JH one bit. Clearly many other schools have lost players to the pros. This creates opportunities. The question, as I see it ,for JH is are his pro chances better staying put or going to a team higher in the rankings? If you had a far better chance playing in the post season elsewhere, what would you do? The guy has no academic reason to stay and,depending on his post grad pursuit, may have strong reasons academically to look elsewhere. Hockey wise it reminds me of talented players in the NHL who want to go to a playoff team after years on a lower performing team and get at least one chance at the Cup. I have enjoyed watching him play and I wish him well.

Comment

Well we're glad your son chose RPI! Brighter days are ahead (at least I hope), and I'm sure he will be a big part in that and help change the culture of the program.

Comment

Thanks for the information on the transfer portal. I think the grad transfer is just going to be a reality across DI sports unless the rules change. At least we are not talking about basketball where there are only 7-9 men rotations: UAlbany's season was devastated through the grad transfer rule.

The reasons for Jacob leaving aren't that important to me as I think most people sensed that this was a possibility from a purely hockey perspective, e.g. most thought his skill set would draw some interest from other schools if he could qualify for the graduate transfer. I am sorry to see him go, but I am looking forward to seeing what the team can accomplish next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X