Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    We won with the bee.

I prefer Puckman.
    Yes on both counts.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
      And limit the amount of “piped in music” to allow America’s Pep Band to play more.
      I completely agree that if the band is present, all music should be played by the band.

I don't get to Troy for games very often, but the last time I was up there, I remember that a moment after I walked into the Field House, the band struck up "Hail, Dear Old Rensselaer" to salute the team's arrival onto the ice for pregame warmups.

And when I heard that, I felt like I was home again.

No piped-in music could ever possibly make me feel that way.

Comment

Today is 10 April 2019. There are 178 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October 2019 for the start of next season.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
          I like Shirley’s throne. We were up there with all of our guests when they had the ceremony honoring my brother. It just shouldn’t take someone dying or Shirley’s annual visit to see it used. Give it to “season ticket holders of the game” or honor a different campus organization, department, etc. at each game. Do it with community groups such as local social services or youth organizations (Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Boy/Girl Scouts, food pantry, church help groups, etc.). Have first responders day and honor a group of them. Let the youth hockey team of the night use it. The possibilities are endless and all are better than seeing it dark and empty.
          What if you made it a corporate box, including one game access in the price of a dasher ad?

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
            This is for DrD....BRING BACK THE BEE!
            Appreciate your thoughts-always. Have great memories of the Bee and the Swarm. We have not seemed to have anywhere near the success since the demise of the Bee and would try anything at this stage.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
              The bee? I assume that's not a reference to AIC
              The bee was the mascot before Puckman. One time while RPI was playing Lake Superior State in the RPI Holiday Tournament (which is something else you should suggest ), the LSSU Pelican mascot and RPI bee mascot switched heads and ran around the rink. Even the players on the ice got distracted and wanted to watch the show.
              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by jericho View Post
                The bee was the mascot before Puckman. One time while RPI was playing Lake Superior State in the RPI Holiday Tournament (which is something else you should suggest ), the LSSU Pelican mascot and RPI bee mascot switched heads and ran around the rink. Even the players on the ice got distracted and wanted to watch the show.
                And the infamous Red Hawk?
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Today is 11 April 2019. There are 177 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October 2019 for the start of next season.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

True, but Puckman as a symbol of RPI hockey far pre-dates the bee. I remember that he was a frequent component of the hand drawn cover art of those fabulous hockey game programs of the 70s and early 80s. I’ve only had 43 seasons of RPI hockey (first game November 1976) so I don’t know Puckman’s origins, but maybe one of our senior members can fill us in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      And the infamous Red Hawk?
                      Actually the “infamous” Red Hawk came after Swarm and before Puckman. That mascot (and the whole idea about changing the team name to the Red Hawks) was so bad I remember the students chanting “KFC” each time he appeared.

Comment

I certainly would like to see the tourney return. The problem is to get quality opponents. Any such school and some others would want us to play two games in their barn in return. That means for us to get two games in a tourney we would have to play six away games including two at a team whom we won't even play in the tourney.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I certainly would like to see the tourney return. The problem is to get quality opponents. Any such school and some others would want us to play two games in their barn in return. That means for us to get two games in a tourney we would have to play six away games including two at a team whom we won't even play in the tourney.
                          Tournaments are usually set up so the host team pays the guest teams a fee to come in. It's actually odd to have return games for a tournament, although special agreements could be done accordingly (which is probably how we get UVM for Freakout). BTW, with us playing Dartmouth and UVM that weekend, when are the Princeton/Yale and Harvard/Brown weekends?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Tournaments are usually set up so the host team pays the guest teams a fee to come in. It's actually odd to have return games for a tournament, although special agreements could be done accordingly (which is probably how we get UVM for Freakout). BTW, with us playing Dartmouth and UVM that weekend, when are the Princeton/Yale and Harvard/Brown weekends?
                            Didn't SA mention at one point that he would have to make return trips? It might have only been to get upper echelon teams.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                              Actually the “infamous” Red Hawk came after Swarm and before Puckman. That mascot (and the whole idea about changing the team name to the Red Hawks) was so bad I remember the students chanting “KFC” each time he appeared.
                              That was me in the chicken suit. I remember once at a football game I was interacting with the band and they started playing the Chicken Dance . I had no choice but to play along.
                              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Didn't SA mention at one point that he would have to make return trips? It might have only been to get upper echelon teams.
                                He also put together schedules with hardly any home games, or 2-for-1 deals. Smith is a heck of a lot better when it comes to fair location negotiations.

Comment

Working...
                                X