Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    My understanding is that any food vending goes thru the contract...i.e. they get their cut.
    I'm sure that's the norm today, so probably not much can be done there, but it would be nice to have options beyond what barely passes for overpriced gas station food. About the beer, it would be interesting to know if the ban on rink sales is in fact an ECAC directive. And the purpose. It seems a little antiquated. I know some of the Hockey East rinks sell beer and maybe some of the western ones do too.

Been a season ticket holder for a long time, this was the first season I really started to feel like the "fan experience" (if one can call it that at HFH) needs some real attention. This is not a knock on America's Pep Band - in fact I'd cut out all the canned music on the PA and let the band play more! As for attendance the diehards will always be there but I'm sure the seats, lack of amenities, etc. are a probable turn-off for the causal fans or locals experiencing HFH for the first time. Hopefully a winning season or two brings more folks into the building.

Comment

• Originally posted by vicious View Post
      I'm sure that's the norm today, so probably not much can be done there, but it would be nice to have options beyond what barely passes for overpriced gas station food. About the beer, it would be interesting to know if the ban on rink sales is in fact an ECAC directive. And the purpose. It seems a little antiquated. I know some of the Hockey East rinks sell beer and maybe some of the western ones do too.

Been a season ticket holder for a long time, this was the first season I really started to feel like the "fan experience" (if one can call it that at HFH) needs some real attention. This is not a knock on America's Pep Band - in fact I'd cut out all the canned music on the PA and let the band play more! As for attendance the diehards will always be there but I'm sure the seats, lack of amenities, etc. are a probable turn-off for the causal fans or locals experiencing HFH for the first time. Hopefully a winning season or two brings more folks into the building.
      I don't disagree with any of this. I am 99% the rule is in fact a league directive. Events such as the Mayor's Cup and the ECAC finals are exempt due to being off site as well as the need to drive revenue to underwrite the events.

It was told to me that the band is being dictated to regarding "when they are allowed to play" during games. There is no doubt that they play far less music than they used to over the course of the game. The in-game presentation is horrible for fans --the canned hair band music they play at HFH when the band should be playing is horrible, and in general, the PA work is clumsy and annoying.

I would love if someone here with band connections could weigh in on the playing time story I was told ?
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

I would love if someone here with band connections could weigh in on the playing time story I was told ?
        Yeah. They have a headset and are told when they can and cannot play, whether it be for ad reads or for pumped in music. Back in my day , I basically just traded off one to one with the PA, but things change. I was also maybe a little more aggressive in getting us to play than my successors, but that's a personality thing.
        RPI Pep Band
        GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
        2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
        2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Today is 19 March 2019. There are 200 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October 2019 for the start of next season.
          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-01-2019, 12:44 PM.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
            JD’A was one of the better skaters to ever lace em up at RPI.
            "That’s laughable." You're right!
            I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

I was told that league rules prohibit the sale of alcoholic beverages at school facilities . I believe Clarkson is the only ECAC program that has it - sort of -and technically it's not in the arena. Cheel has the student union which adjoins the arena --but access and admission to the pub is separate to that of the rink.
              Colgate has a cash bar at 1965 Arena, but it is only accessible to fans who sit in the premium season ticket seats that are separated from the rest of the crowd.

https://gocolgateraiders.com/news/20...s-on-sale.aspx
              Last edited by DavidNardolillo; 03-19-2019, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Today is 20 March 2019. There are 199 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October 2019 for the start of next season.
                Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-01-2019, 12:44 PM.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                  Yeah. They have a headset and are told when they can and cannot play, whether it be for ad reads or for pumped in music. Back in my day , I basically just traded off one to one with the PA, but things change. I was also maybe a little more aggressive in getting us to play than my successors, but that's a personality thing.
                  Thank you for the information Lug Nut. Never knew this or even suspected it. Utterly absurd that a college band at a college event has playing time controlled and limited. Granted, no one is going to confuse the pep band with the London Symphony Orchestra anytime soon, but their musical deficiencies is precisely what makes them delightfully entertaining. As for that piped in stuff, whatever it is, nothing short of totally annoying and absolutely terrible.

Piped in music works best at the minor league level for any sport. The biggest reason for that is that those are not college events and both the atmosphere and crowd are totally different. An even bigger reason it works there is that those people do a FAR BETTER job of preparing the music mix. Virtually everything they play will be liked by at least a segment of the crowd. However, in all fairness, those organization do pay a fee annually that grants them the rights to play almost any copyrighted music they wish to play. None the less, the Fieldhouse piped in music is nothing short of abysmal. Whoever is choosing it (person or persons unknown) should either go get the wax removed from their ears or have their hearing checked period.

How is this for a suggestion to the band. Resist, revolt and ignore the powers to be. Show up and play most of your numbers regardless of what is going on except for the actual game (a band playing during the action is actually a penalty to the home team). What would happen to the band if they do precisely that??? Are they going to get ejected??? Will they be banned from future games??? Should either of those things actually ever happen, it will not be the band that looks band. What would happen is more of what the brass of that place appears to seek out intentionally and that is MORE BAD PRESS.

Comment

• Originally posted by tony/troy View Post
                    Thank you for the information Lug Nut. Never knew this or even suspected it. Utterly absurd that a college band at a college event has playing time controlled and limited. Granted, no one is going to confuse the pep band with the London Symphony Orchestra anytime soon, but their musical deficiencies is precisely what makes them delightfully entertaining. As for that piped in stuff, whatever it is, nothing short of totally annoying and absolutely terrible.

Piped in music works best at the minor league level for any sport. The biggest reason for that is that those are not college events and both the atmosphere and crowd are totally different. An even bigger reason it works there is that those people do a FAR BETTER job of preparing the music mix. Virtually everything they play will be liked by at least a segment of the crowd. However, in all fairness, those organization do pay a fee annually that grants them the rights to play almost any copyrighted music they wish to play. None the less, the Fieldhouse piped in music is nothing short of abysmal. Whoever is choosing it (person or persons unknown) should either go get the wax removed from their ears or have their hearing checked period.

How is this for a suggestion to the band. Resist, revolt and ignore the powers to be. Show up and play most of your numbers regardless of what is going on except for the actual game (a band playing during the action is actually a penalty to the home team). What would happen to the band if they do precisely that??? Are they going to get ejected??? Will they be banned from future games??? Should either of those things actually ever happen, it will not be the band that looks band. What would happen is more of what the brass of that place appears to seek out intentionally and that is MORE BAD PRESS.
                    Wholeheartedly agree....Exactly what I was getting at - they are intentionally stifling the band ...often not to read advertising but to play HORRIBLE canned music.

The RPI pep band represents everything that is good about college athletics generally and hockey specifically!! This needs to stop ...it's time for an uprising folks !! Not even kidding ...
                    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
                      Or is the B&J ice cream contract under the table?
                      The contract is buried under The Palace on Tibbits Ave.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                        Wholeheartedly agree....Exactly what I was getting at - they are intentionally stifling the band ...often not to read advertising but to play HORRIBLE canned music.

The RPI pep band represents everything that is good about college athletics generally and hockey specifically!! This needs to stop ...it's time for an uprising folks !! Not even kidding ...
                        This was on my mind all season It takes away from the atmosphere at RPI games. Reminds me of a AHL/ ECHL atmosphere, not college.

I visited Lynah for the first time this season and we all have our opinions on Cornell but one thing I noticed and enjoyed was it was all band during warm ups and the game,which is how games at the Field House used to be. I recall leaving a game this year and 2 women confronted Niles about the music and how they wanted to hear more band.

What's even more moronic is blaring the music over Al as he does the player intros for both teams.I couldn't hear where the kids from the other teams were from, only to hear Axel Rose screaming and I hated that 25 years ago.

Comment

I think you're going to be disappointed if you expect any sort of rebellion from a band that doesn't have any more members that were around pre-headset. This is just how it is for them and most criticism from alumni is (for better or for worse) dismissed as old men yelling at clouds.
                          RPI Pep Band
                          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                            I think you're going to be disappointed if you expect any sort of rebellion from a band that doesn't have any more members that were around pre-headset. This is just how it is for them and most criticism from alumni is (for better or for worse) dismissed as old men yelling at clouds.
                            They already consider you as old?
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              They already consider you as old?
                              I mean, two full classes have come and gone since I graduated. I'm not old old, but I'm pretty far separated from the current student body.
                              RPI Pep Band
                              🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

• Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                                Not at all surprised ...nor will I be when the band fizzles out or is disbanded. Pun intended. Unfortunately it's indicative of the campus wide malaise when it comes fighting the regime.

Comment

Working...
                                X