Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Not that I think all of those were really losses, but you missed the one who will probably turn out to be the biggest loss, Austen Swankler. He has been playing great for Sioux Falls as a young player and had the goal in the 4th OT yesterday (or really early this morning).
    Swankier was 15 when he “committed” and, as I remember it, decommitted just a few months later. He’s another we’ll only torture ourselves following and he was never even close to wearing an RPI uniform. It’s definitely time to move on from him and take the attitude that, from an RPI perspective, he never existed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RPI22Parent View Post
      I will attempt to answer to the best of my ability:
      Nanne: he wanted to get on with his life. He got married immediately after leaving school and has since had a baby. He just was no longer interested in playing hockey.

Ohrvall brothers: Jesper and Emil went into their year end meeting with Smith together and both said they were leaving. Jesper wanted to play and knew he wouldn't play even if Dave wanted him back and Emil had to be convinced by his mother to finish out the school year. He originally had planned on leaving after the 1st semester. He did not like RPI as a school.

Tironese: he did not like Smith or the style of hockey. He wasn't though happy with Appert either. Tironese wanted to play hockey his way and only his way.

Melanson: His parents did not want him to leave. He had been accepted into the Grad school. I believe had Nanne stayed and Riga been named coach or one of the two happening he may have stayed. I do know he was very torn. I also don't think he would have gone any where but BU. That was like a home coming for him. He has family in the Boston area.

York: He felt he was deserving of more and let it be known to all. Even though he had a solid 1st semester Smith saw things differently and told him so and York backed his bags and left. He decided to leave instead of staying and proving himself in the second semester.

Hayhurst: I've said all I will say on him.

Smith is an old school hockey coach. He motivates the old way. He genuinely cares about the boys as men. He's a tough disciplinarian. His provided a lot of structure to the team. Some is good and some is bad. He is in the opposite direction from Appert.
      That sounds like a classic example of a new coach enforcing his standards on a team that was largely recruited by his predecessor with a different philosophy. As one that sometimes thought Seth’s teams often played without enough discipline or structure, I’m encouraged by this. Only time will tell if Smith can be successful, but I still feel we are moving in the right direction.

Comment

The explanation of why Tironese left agrees with his history before he came to RPI. He probably likes to play an offensive game, and really no one in college does that these days. It probably is also the reason that he left the USHL and returned to the BCHL. The BCHL is probably the most offensively centered junior league in North America.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The explanation of why Tironese left agrees with his history before he came to RPI. He probably likes to play an offensive game, and really no one in college does that these days. It probably is also the reason that he left the USHL and returned to the BCHL. The BCHL is probably the most offensively centered junior league in North America.
          Considering Pirri was stuck in the AHL for a while because his defending game needed work, I'd say it's a good thing to focus on.

Good to read that Smith is putting those tough standards into place, although somehow I don't think we'll be seeing the kids running up and down Peoples after a particularly bad loss...

Comment

• https://twitter.com/alec_calvaruso/status/1119049769899442176?s=21

Comment

• RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
              https://twitter.com/alec_calvaruso/status/1119049769899442176?s=21
              Uh oh. He’s a goalie with 3 semesters at Colorado College that finished the season back in the USHL. Since Miller was signed for this class (and aged out of juniors IIRC) this would seem to imply we’ve lost a goalie.

Last edited by rpi82; 04-18-2019, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                Uh oh. He’s a goalie with 3 semesters at Colorado College that finished the season back in the USHL. Since Miller was signed for this class (and aged out of juniors IIRC) this would seem to imply we’ve lost a goalie.

It could also be Miller isn't coming.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 19 April 2019. There are 169 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October 2019 for the start of next season.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Interesting that Calvaruso, like Chase Perry, previously played for Colorado College.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

It could also be Miller isn't coming.
                      I think however, that it is most likely that Marshall is leaving, but that is not based on any personal knowledge.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

That would mean he's ineligible until January, yes? Given he played a couple this past year...

So we'd run two goalies (either Savory/Marshall, Savory/Miller, or Marshall/Miller) until that time.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          That would mean he's ineligible until January, yes? Given he played a couple this past year...

So we'd run two goalies (either Savory/Marshall, Savory/Miller, or Marshall/Miller) until that time.
                          Unless there has been a rule change that is correct. It’s the exact same scenario we faced with Shane Bear last year.

Comment

The following was brought to my attention https://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility...4_Transfer.pdf. Apparently if Calvaruso earned a 2-year degree while in the USHL he could play immediately.

Then again, these things confuse me.
                            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-19-2019, 08:27 AM.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The following was brought to my attention http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_...4_Transfer.pdf. Apparently if Calvaruso earned a 2-year degree while in the USH he could play immediately.

Then again, these things confuse me.
                              That would make sense since he would then be classified as a junior college transfer, not an NCAA transfer. I’d imagine he would have until August to get that done.

Comment

I really hope Miller is not coming rather than Marshall leaving.
                                On another note, Albany is a host site for the 2020 regionals. Why is RPI not the host like it always has been in the past? Only ECAC Hockey is listed as a host.

Comment

Working...
                                X