X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 200 - End of Season

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Between Twitch and Hammer I feel less bad for wanting to purchase a Sword of Fire and Ice and 4 copies of Noble Hierarch.

Well, you already play Cardboard Crack...
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

*HT
      Team never showed up.
      Refs never showed up. Lots of nasty play on both sides. Finally kicked out the guy who thought his hockey stick was an axe after the second time he double handed chopped a guy across the wrist. No need for that. We were already losing. Plus I hate when mr les has to work more when they let stuff get out of hand

Comment

HHT. Happy I was able to go. Been a rough couple of days. Hoping I can get there tomorrow. les, are you planning to go tomorrow? Would love to catch up.

Comment

*ht...
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
          Northeast Regional:
          West Regional: 2015, 2021
          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Oh, and I found a card show to go to tomorrow.

I didn't just go off the cliff. I took a ginormous swan dive.

*HT for me, too. The girls lost today in the D3 semis, but they play for 3rd place tomorrow. Still better than I thought they would do, so I'm not as upset as I usually would be. 4 very special ladies are playing their final games tomorrow.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              Funny. You're getting out of your hobby, and I'm diving into mine. Bought another card, this time from 1933. A Hall of Famer, no less. I've wanted a card out of this set for a long time. I'm just about at the point where I've got something out of every significant set issued. Ever. There's some obscure stuff out there that I don't have, but for the most part, I'm not interested.

Other than that, I'm going to end up putting together every Topps set from 1976-1993. Anything prior to 1976 gets pricey in a hurry, and almost anything after 1992 is junk. The only reason I'm going to put 1993 together is because I've already got a sizable chunk of it. And yes, I located that one before I talked about it, unlike the 1966 partial set I thought I had.
              Unless something has changed drastically in the baseball card (sport specific) world, anything after 1986 for Topps is crap. Post 1988 (maybe 1989) Fleer is crap. Post 1986 Donruss is crap. First year or two of Bowman (1991 maybe?) is good. 1991-1993 or 1994 Upper Deck is good, after that? Crap.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

1992 is about the last good issue for Topps. I understood why they did 1986 and 1987 like they did. I didn't like the 1989 and 1990 issues. 1991 wasn't bad, but it seemed like they put the 1992's on a better stock. 1992 was the tipping point where everything went to hell. Fleer and Donruss were pretty much also-rans, and were never taken too seriously. Fleer's early 80's stuff is very flimsy.

I did NOT like the re-issue of Bowmans, using the pre-1957 card sizes. I don't know why Topps resurrected that brand (they bought out Bowman in early 1956, IIRC).
                Last edited by Hammer; 03-15-2019, 10:19 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

1992 is about the last good issue for Topps. I didn't like the 1989 and 1990 issues. 1991 wasn't bad, but it seemed like they put the 1992's on a better stock. 1992 was the tipping point where everything went to hell. Fleer and Donruss were pretty much also-rans, and were never taken too seriously. Fleer's early 80's stuff is very flimsy.
                  I'm talking strictly business view. I liked 1987 Topps' look, very classy. But that was the first year they really started to over-produce (along with the other years of other companies). As for looks, that's a whole different discussion.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                    I'm talking strictly business view. I liked 1987 Topps' look, very classy. But that was the first year they really started to over-produce (along with the other years of other companies). As for looks, that's a whole different discussion.
                    The 1987's were a nod to the 1962 set, with the wood-type background. Much like the 1986 set compares with the 1971 set, with the black background at the top. Topps did quite a bit of that, with the 1980 set looking like the 1974 set. The ones that have not held up well are from 1982-1985.

I think once Upper Deck showed up in 1989, everybody started to overproduce. By 1992 the market was flooded, and the demand had fizzled out.

God, that was fun...

Comment

The 1987's were a nod to the 1962 set, with the wood-type background. Much like the 1986 set compares with the 1971 set, with the black background at the top. Topps did quite a bit of that, with the 1980 set looking like the 1974 set. The ones that have not held up well are from 1982-1985.
                      You're gonna make me dig out the cards I have left and reminisce, aren't ya?

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                        You're gonna make me dig out the cards I have left and reminisce, aren't ya?
                        The scary part is, I can do this right off the top of my head.

God, that was fun...

Comment

The scary part is, I can do this right off the top of my head.
                          I been there. It is kinda scary. Just rattling off info, and the person you're talking to *thought* they had some idea of what they are talking about.

Edit: Many times some hipster at the local brewery is talking about this or that, and then ask me my thoughts/etc. Oops. And the owners even say, "This is the guy to ask."

Comment

Good morning to tLodge!
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                            Northeast Regional:
                            West Regional: 2015, 2021
                            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

s’upp y’all
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                                Unless something has changed drastically in the baseball card (sport specific) world, anything after 1986 for Topps is crap. Post 1988 (maybe 1989) Fleer is crap. Post 1986 Donruss is crap. First year or two of Bowman (1991 maybe?) is good. 1991-1993 or 1994 Upper Deck is good, after that? Crap.
                                Not a fan then of the heritage brand for tops? Mookie enjoyed those
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X