Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All Things Fix the Constitution and Elections Thread

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    Once a state joins the compact what’s to prevent it from brexiting if a different party takes control of the state government?
    AFAIK, nothing unless they enshrine it into the State Constitution, where it would at least be harder to repeal. Good luck with that, though.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      Once a state joins the compact what’s to prevent it from brexiting if a different party takes control of the state government?
      Nothing. It's purely statutory, so they can release, too.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Uh...yeah I dont like that at all. The state should not be able to override the will of the people. If Minnesota goes Red its EVs should go Red not towards Blue if they have the higher popular vote. This compact seems like putting lipstick on a pig to me. Plus since it is non-binding it wont take long for it to all fall apart anyways.

That kind of stuff sounds cool in Polysci classes where there are no consequences.

Plus Nate Silver is right...this will never work unless Red States join as well because the Swing States will never give up their power.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Senators were not directly elected until around 1915, prior to which they were elected by the states' legislatures , I think. Were that indirect election process and the EC voting process born of the same concept?

Comment

Putting aside EC proposals, since the word "Elections" is also in this thread, I would like to see more aggressive law enforcement action for voting rights violations. For example, now GA Gov needs to be investigated over denying people their constitutional right to vote when he was Sec of State overseeing his own race for governor. If what has been rumored is found to be true (selective voter purges, slow walking registrations of people not likely to vote for him) then he needs to be indicted and put on trail for violating the civil rights of the people affected. The only way you put a clamp on the Kemps and Kobach's of the world is with a criminal prosecution and the threat of jail time if found guilty by a jury of their peers.
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              Putting aside EC proposals, since the word "Elections" is also in this thread, I would like to see more aggressive law enforcement action for voting rights violations. For example, now GA Gov needs to be investigated over denying people their constitutional right to vote when he was Sec of State overseeing his own race for governor. If what has been rumored is found to be true (selective voter purges, slow walking registrations of people not likely to vote for him) then he needs to be indicted and put on trail for violating the civil rights of the people affected. The only way you put a clamp on the Kemps and Kobach's of the world is with a criminal prosecution and the threat of jail time if found guilty by a jury of their peers.
              100% agree. Problem is I dont see a Republican Lead GOP going after a Republican Governor for doing exactly what they do all over the place. Whoever does the investigating needs to be impartial.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                100% agree. Problem is I dont see a Republican Lead GOP going after a Republican Governor for doing exactly what they do all over the place. Whoever does the investigating needs to be impartial.
                I don't necessarily agree Handy. That's how Republicans try to get away from crimes - by screaming PARTISANSHIP!!! as loud as they can while getting timid lamestream media to go along. Dem Justice Dept in 2021 if that's how the ball bounces needs to immediately look into voter suppression tactics for illegality starting with Mr. Kemp. If they find them, then tough sh it for him if its Dems who uncovered it.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Oh if the Dems are in charge it could work in the short term but it would be better if it was independent in the long term IMHO.
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Uh...yeah I dont like that at all. The state should not be able to override the will of the people. If Minnesota goes Red its EVs should go Red not towards Blue if they have the higher popular vote. This compact seems like putting lipstick on a pig to me. Plus since it is non-binding it wont take long for it to all fall apart anyways.

That kind of stuff sounds cool in Polysci classes where there are no consequences.

Plus Nate Silver is right...this will never work unless Red States join as well because the Swing States will never give up their power.
                    If the states enact it, and the people support it, how is that not enacting the will of the people?

Comment

Who cares about the will of the people? Won't someone think of the farmland????
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Uh...yeah I dont like that at all. The state should not be able to override the will of the people.
                        There's a difference between what we want and what will happen. Liberal states want the compact (hint: its probably what we liberals want) and conservative states won't let it happen (hint: its probably what we liberals want). The simple way to look at it...is that really nothing happens until enough states sign up to guarantee that the compacts results are binding. Then the compact will by definition scrap the electoral college process of choosing presidents and replace it with a national popular vote - without the need for a Constitutional Amendment.

If the compact had been in place, the Dems would have probably had a presidential monopoly since 1992 (assuming that an incumbent D wins in 2004) and the D would have put up nearly the entire SCOTUS. It wouldn't have been a monopoly since a Republican congress would have been a roadblock...but at least we wouldn't be suffering through a complete Trump/GOP government and SCOTUS.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                        X