NCAA Playoffs: Augsburg at St. Norbert - Round 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Playoffs: Augsburg at St. Norbert - Round 4

For the fourth consecutive year, SNC and Augsburg meet in the playoffs.

The excellent preview from SNC:
    https://www.snc.edu/athletics/teamfi...ockey19-17.pdf

And preview from AU:
    https://athletics.augsburg.edu/news/...x?path=mhockey
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Re: NCAA Playoffs: Augsburg at St. Norbert - Round 4

Unfortunately, NCAA rules force these repeated matchups between teams in the same region year after year. Wouldn't it be fun if first round and quarterfinal matchups could involve teams from different regions.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      Unfortunately, NCAA rules force these repeated matchups between teams in the same region year after year. Wouldn't it be fun if first round and quarterfinal matchups could involve teams from different regions.
      One can only dream of a world where the 4th seed would get a home quarterfinal game against the winner of a 5/12 matchup.
      5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
      2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
        One can only dream of a world where the 4th seed would get a home quarterfinal game against the winner of a 5/12 matchup.
        When you think about it this bracket actually works out better long term for SNC. A hot team gets to play this week. To win the national title you are going to have to beat Point in Point eventually. If you beat them in the quarters you now get the final four at home and get a 5 in the semifinals. Same path to the title, just when you play the teams is flipped with the last two rounds at home instead of just a quarterfinal.

Comment

It is frustrating. To travel to St. Norbert and beat them seems like a tall task but it might just happen this year. I know we have been close in the past 4 years and beat them this year at The Ed. If the other MIAC teams would/could just make a big push to improve the level of play within the conference it would create a higher ranking and especially for the winner of the league. The Auggies are good this year but can you ask them to make that trip each year and get a win? Seems to me that long term, MIAC teams need to step up and book a more difficult schedule. Augsburg has been doing just that with non conference games in the NCHA and WIAC. Need everyone else to do more of the same.

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
            For the fourth consecutive year, SNC and Augsburg meet in the playoffs.

The excellent preview from SNC:
            https://www.snc.edu/athletics/teamfi...ockey19-17.pdf
            I did not realize that St. Norbert is within three victories of Middlebury for all time NCAA Tournament victories...
            Middlebury = 34 - 7 - 2
            SNC = 31 - 13 - 1.
            SNC Men:
            Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
            NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
            SNC Women:
            O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
              I did not realize that St. Norbert is within three victories of Middlebury for all time NCAA Tournament victories...
              Middlebury = 34 - 7 - 2
              SNC = 31 - 13 - 1.
              Love them ties. Ah the days of the DMG in NCAA play.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                Middlebury = 34 - 7 - 2
                SNC = 31 - 13 - 1.
                A national championship run would put them alone in first place.

Comment

SNC has six players with at least 27 points on the year. I'm always amazed by how balanced their scoring attack is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
                    When you think about it this bracket actually works out better long term for SNC. A hot team gets to play this week. To win the national title you are going to have to beat Point in Point eventually. If you beat them in the quarters you now get the final four at home and get a 5 in the semifinals. Same path to the title, just when you play the teams is flipped with the last two rounds at home instead of just a quarterfinal.

Perhaps . But one more game to play is one more chance to lose
                    ---

Comment

Something all the eastern teams, no matter how they were seeded, had to do the past two years. So, my tears are not exactly flowing for SNC...
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

If you are good enough to win it then that shouldn't matter like 2012 for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                          Something all the eastern teams, no matter how they were seeded, had to do the past two years. So, my tears are not exactly flowing for SNC...
                          Nor did I say they should be. Just my reaction to a very glass half full analysis. The worry wort in me before a matchup with a team SNC couldn’t beat earlier this year.
                          Last edited by GB Puck Fan; 03-06-2019, 01:48 PM.
                          ---

Comment

Nor did I say they should be. Just my reaction to a very glass half full analysis. The worry wort in me before a matchup with a team SNC couldn’t beat earlier this year.
                            If it's a team they can't beat, then I guess they aren't really national champions anyway
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

No doubt, if it was "my" team, I would be worrying just like you. You never know in a one-game playoff.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                              X