Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536 LastLast
Results 661 to 680 of 707

Thread: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

  1. #661
    Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A Headshrinker's Office
    Posts
    33,095

    Re: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

    We should start a ridiculous rumor that he was MURDERED by Trump so that Larry Hogan can try and replace him with a Republican. I'll bet no one's ever thought of that.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  2. #662
    We'll be back. Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom
    Posts
    37,513

    Re: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

    Bill Macy, 97
    Last edited by Hammer; 10-18-2019 at 07:02 PM.

  3. #663
    We'll be back. Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom
    Posts
    37,513

    Re: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

    Former Michigan governor Bill Milliken, also 97.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR


    God, that was fun...

  4. #664
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South Shore
    Posts
    4,109

    Re: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

    A bad cause requires many words.

  5. #665
    NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    20,300

    Re: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by SonofSouthie View Post
    Very confusing in the bay area as there are two famous Willies Brown.

    Cornell '04, Stanford '06


    KDR

    Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

  6. #666
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,523
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Very confusing in the bay area as there are two famous Willies Brown.
    which one did kamala swallow?

  7. #667
    rock and roller
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory
    Posts
    23,204

    Re: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

    Paul Barrere, guitarist for Little Feat.

  8. #668
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,999

    Re: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

    Dam. Someone seems to die every day.

  9. #669
    rock and roller
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory
    Posts
    23,204

    Re: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Dam. Someone seems to die every day.
    A thread on a music board I frequent was specifically, how mind-numbingly depressing its going to be over the next number of years as everyone who was anyone as a musician from the classic rock period is going to be dying. Hell, Barrere was one of the younger ones at age 71.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

  10. #670
    Short/Round bostonewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    11,951

    Re: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    A thread on a music board I frequent was specifically, how mind-numbingly depressing its going to be over the next number of years as everyone who was anyone as a musician from the classic rock period is going to be dying. Hell, Barrere was one of the younger ones at age 71.
    Fortunately? If you like grunge, a bunch of them are already dead.

  11. #671

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    68,798

    Re: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  12. #672
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    That part was not in the story..... so share. What exactly is this tradition?

  13. #673

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    68,798

    Re: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    That part was not in the story..... so share. What exactly is this tradition?
    There are 3 traditions related to the gorges on campus.

    #1. Drowning. This is the boring one. It's water, people are clumsy, people drown. c.f. bath tubs.



    #2. Falling. Students get drunk. Drunks are stupid. Cutting monkey shines on the bridges will have its inevitable consequence. Assisted by the fact that Cornell looks like this four months of the year:



    #3. Suicide. Actually taking the leap of faith. This happens a lot but almost never among students. It's nearly always townies. And it's a breath-taking way to go out:



    For this story I'm provisionally assuming #2 until better informed.

    In case anybody wondered I have never heard of a credible case of the missing #4. You kinda have to do this yourself, it's just logistically difficult to be "helped."
    Last edited by Kepler; 10-29-2019 at 08:51 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  14. #674
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,523

    Re: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

    So peeps get hammered and head to watch the waterfall instead of heading to the dorms and hooking up?? Silly

  15. #675

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    68,798

    Re: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    So peeps get hammered and head to watch the waterfall instead of heading to the dorms and hooking up?? Silly
    No, you don't understand the geography of the campus.



    Most frat houses are north of the gorges. Most student housing is in West Campus (on campus) and Collegetown (off campus), south of the gorges. You have to cross.

    Every year a couple kids go in tab A but don't come out slot B.
    Last edited by Kepler; 10-29-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  16. #676
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,523

    Re: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

    ah ha......

    true. mookie always wanted to come see bu play hockey there, but then they started that stupid msg thing and it's never gonna happen
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  17. #677

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    68,798

    Re: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    ah ha......

    true. mookie always wanted to come see bu play hockey there, but then they started that stupid msg thing and it's never gonna happen
    Have you done the stupid MSG thing? I went to the very first one. It was fun (although we lost, as usual).
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  18. #678
    He fixes the cable?
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    23,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    This sort of thing periodically happens in Minneapolis, Mankato, and St. Cloud as well. Rivers are tricky.

    Then of course there's Duluth and Bemidji, where lakes are the culprit.

  19. #679
    NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    20,300

    Re: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    No, you don't understand the geography of the campus.



    Most frat houses are north of the gorges. Most student housing is in West Campus (on campus) and Collegetown (off campus), south of the gorges. You have to cross.

    Every year a couple kids go in tab A but don't come out slot B.
    And from West Campus, the way to get to the closest bridge to take you north of the gorge is a little muddy/wooden path down the side of it. Combine that with drinking and bad weather and probability is going to express itself. Come to think of it, how am I still alive?

    Edit: And to add more to his point, the freshmen are pretty much all on North Campus now, the non-freshmen still in dorms on West, and everyone not in dorms south of the campus. But a lot of frats are also still on West Campus, meaning the same path is commonly taken in the other direction for freshmen to get to those. And even ignoring frats altogether, still a number of gorge crossings needed to get to various things. The main bridges more near the quad/building part of campus are usually safer, but then there's a handful of other ones over each gorge that will be usually the one someones takes unless it's the middle of the day and they're going to/from class.
    Last edited by French Rage; 10-29-2019 at 12:50 PM.

    Cornell '04, Stanford '06


    KDR

    Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

  20. #680

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    68,798

    Re: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    And from West Campus, the way to get to the closest bridge to take you north of the gorge is a little muddy/wooden path down the side of it. Combine that with drinking and bad weather and probability is going to express itself. Come to think of it, how am I still alive?

    Edit: And to add more to his point, the freshmen are pretty much all on North Campus now, the non-freshmen still in dorms on West, and everyone not in dorms south of the campus. But a lot of frats are also still on West Campus, meaning the same path is commonly taken in the other direction for freshmen to get to those. And even ignoring frats altogether, still a number of gorge crossings needed to get to various things. The main bridges more near the quad/building part of campus are usually safer, but then there's a handful of other ones over each gorge that will be usually the one someones takes unless it's the middle of the day and they're going to/from class.
    I'm not worried about North Campus kids because (1) they cross the gorge over Thurston Ave and would have to be HYP twits to fall off that, and (2) North Campus kids suck (UHall5 forever!). Scrabbling up and down the ahem "steps" to cross Fall Creek on the suspension bridge was spectacularly fun as a stumbling drunk undergrad and I am also not certain how I'm still alive.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •