2019 cycling season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 cycling season

So, this weekend, the 2019 cycling season got its real start(those middle eastern races and such don't really count), with the launch of the Belgian spring classics.

And so far, Quick Step, or should I say Deucininck-Quick Step, picks up right where they left off last season, going two for two in the Omloop Het Nieuwsblat and Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Re: 2019 cycling season

And, Quick Step goes 3-3 as Florian Senechal takes out the long uphill sprint to win Le Samyn.

And you gotta figure Stybar has to be a favorite for Strade Bianchi on Saturday.

Edit: Quick Step had 3 in the top 10.
    Last edited by rufus; 03-05-2019, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Quick Step again, as Julian Alaphilippe wins the Strade Bianchi. His teammate Stybar finished fourth.

Comment

I thought this was worth posting.
        https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/47608625
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Deceunick QuickStep continues their dominance of the early spring season. Took three stages in last week's Tirreno Adriaticco, with two by Julien Alaphilippe and one by Ella Viviani, and yesterday, Alaphilippe outsprinted a small group of ten that got away on the climb and descent of the Poggio to win the first monument of the season, Milan San-Remo.

Comment

So last year during the Vuelta, a pasty white Englishman proved to be a better climber than Nairo Quintana.

Today in the Volta a Catalunya, that pasty white Englishman's equally pasty white twin brother, also proved to be a better climber than Quintana.

What the hell has happened to Quintana? Made some bucks, and gotten lazy?

Comment

Australians have a rather odd view of cyclists

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/sci...8rI/story.html
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Again, it's Quick Step. Today's E3 Harelbeke Bob Jungels went off on his own with 60K or so to go, got joined by a couple others, dropped them on the next climb, only to be re-joined again, dropped them again on the Oude Kwaremont. Again, they fought back to join him, until he finally broke free with about 30K to go. the rest of the chasers, and the small peloton broke up on the final climb of the Tiegenberg, splitting into four chasing groups, the first made up of Greg van Avermaet, Wout van Aert, Alberto Betiol, and Jungel's teammate Zdenek Stybar.

They finally caught him with about 7K to go, and the Quick Step did the ol' one-two. Stybar went, was caught, and then Jungels, who had been dropped, caught back up and went right by. Once he was caught, Stybar went again, and again Jungels fought to get back on, and went again. Again, he got caught, with van Avermaet leading out the sprint, only to have Stybar surge past him to the line.

Deucininck Quick Step's 20th win on the season. Jungels finished fifth, with two other Quick Step riders in the top 20.
                Last edited by rufus; 03-30-2019, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  Again, it's Quick Step. Today's E3 Harelbeke Bob Jungels went off on his own with 60K or so to go, got joined by a couple others, dropped them on the next climb, only to be re-joined again, dropped them again on the Oude Kwaremont. Again, they fought back to join him, until he finally broke free with about 30K to go. the rest of the chasers, and the small peloton broke up on the final climb of the Tiegenberg, splitting into four chasing groups, the first made up of Greg van Avermaet, Wout van Aert, Alberto Betiol, and his teammate Zdenek Stybar.

They finally caught him with about 7K to go, and the Quick Step did the ol' one-two. Stybar went, was caught, and then Jungels, who had been dropped, caught back up and went right by. Once he was caught, Stybar went again, and again Jungels fought to get back on, and went again. Again, he got caught, with van Avermaet leading out the sprint, only to have Stybar surge past him to the line.

Deucininck Quick Step's 20th win on the season. Jungels finished fifth, with two other Quick Step riders in the top 20.
                  Nothing like a good bike race. ! I'm so sick of riding indoors and can't wait to get out. Maybe in about 10 days.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    Nothing like a good bike race. ! I'm so sick of riding indoors and can't wait to get out. Maybe in about 10 days.
                    I'm a wuss, and have been out twice already.

Still, a far cry from about ten years ago, when I got out twice a week all winter long. Course, that was the winter we got no snow.

Comment

I spent 2 days in Dubai recently and on my last day I came back to the hotel turned on the tv and they were showing live coverage of the Tour of Oman if I had know I may have tried to catch some of it, I don't think it's that far away.
                      Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Alexander Kristoff wins Gent Wevelgem, leading out the sprint early and just too powerful for anyone to come around.

Long breakaway including a lot of strong riders who could be looked at to take the win, including Trentin, Sagan, Van der Poel , van Aert, Theunissen, Theuns, Terpstra and Gaviria. Wittled down to just Sagan, Theuns, Theunissen and Trentin, and then joined by Luke Rowe. They were finally caught with about 20K left to go.

After a series of attacks, a four man group got away, but finally brought back by Quick Step in the final kilometer, who had been doing the chasing all day, leading to Kristoff's attack, with Degenkolb finishing second. All that work by Quick Step for Viviani came to nothing, as he got pinched in a bit in the final sprint, and was never in contention.

Comment

No spoilers, but if you can find it, watch the last 2-3K of today's Amstel Gold race. Absolutely phenomenal.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            No spoilers, but if you can find it, watch the last 2-3K of today's Amstel Gold race. Absolutely phenomenal.
                            I'm hoping to catch a stage of the Gyro in the next few days. I'll be in Italy for the next month so I should be able to find something.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              I'm hoping to catch a stage of the Gyro in the next few days. I'll be in Italy for the next month so I should be able to find something.
                              That would be Giro.

Unless you're looking for a tasty Greek sandwich?

But do it. My favorite of the grand tours, although the Vuelta is fast challenging it. The TDF is a snoozefest by comparison. Giro starts May 11.

Look for one of the climbing stages, or a stage that finishes on a circuit so you can see the riders pass by several times.

If you're a real fanboy, go for a starting city, and hang out at the start line, meeting riders and getting autographs and such.
                              Last edited by rufus; 04-22-2019, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X